Author Topic: What do you want to never happen in Touhou?  (Read 68145 times)

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Re: What do you want to never happen in Touhou?
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »
I think I would dislike it if Gensokyo suddenly was overtaken by the technology of the outside world. I mean yeah, they use this stuff now, but if a "Modern" Gensokyo was to come about, that would just make me nostalgic of the former Gensokyo (think of Pc-98 to windows games)
And then due to being forgotten by most of the real world the PC-98 appears in Gensokyo.

And then Mima will appear.

But only inside the game that the actual characters are playing. 

:smug:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »
I always thought UFO!Sanae was just a little genki and nerding out over her chance to play real-life space invaders. She seemed to take it literally as a game the whole way through, probably because it was something she never got to experience before. She was more immersed in the happenings than in the feelings of the Youkai, not due to sadistic reasons at all.

Totally. You can especially see this if you compare how she was in UFO to how she was in Ten Desires. There, she seems a bit more chill about the whole "EXTERMINATE ALL YOUKAI" thing. That's why I've warmed up to her more - she's growing up, and we can to watch it happen.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2012, 04:24:38 AM »
Virtual reality touhou. I think I would die playing that. And I thought 3D danmaku was already bad enough.

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
  • I would murder all of you for a cup of tea.
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2012, 10:35:51 AM »
And then due to being forgotten by most of the real world the PC-98 appears in Gensokyo.

And then Mima will appear.

But only inside the game that the actual characters are playing. 

:smug:

Not gonna lie, that would be so deliciously meta and such an utter mind-fuck that I would be all for it.

« Reply #154 on: June 09, 2012, 09:25:03 PM »
Probably gonna get shot but... I never want a second Subterranean Animism. The overtuned difficulty drove me off from it. Not only the patterns, but also how annoying it is to open new stages for practices, requiring a little too much dedication and perseverance through repetition that it made me stop having fun on it.
The new "partner" system, without any shot I could be confortable with, combined with bombing from MoF... how streamlined getting Extends were... ugh.

But I guess Zun won't go back to it.

Anyway, besides that I never want Marisa to stop being playable in main games. So even if there's a fresh start with a new canon (like EoSD), I hope Marisa carries over. Don't really care about the personality and design, as long as it's a witch that shoots love and lasers.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #155 on: June 09, 2012, 09:36:48 PM »
SA has one of the easiest Hard and Lunatic modes in the series from what I remember playing and watching. It does have, however, relatively difficult Easy and Normal modes. UFO is harder overall by a huge margin.

SA doesn't have "overtuned difficulty." It's difficulty is just poorly skewed that its Easy and Normal are around the level of other games' normals/ stage1-3 Hards, while the hard and lunatic are comparable to IN's, so there aren't nearly as drastic changes between difficulties.
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Zil

« Reply #156 on: June 09, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »
Woohoo, let's start another difficulty discussion!

I wouldn't call it one of the easiest. It's certainly harder than IN. I'd put it around the level of EoSD, though everything is of course dwarfed by UFO.

Just speaking from my own experience, having played every Lunatic mode. I guess I'll add that I'd love to see more SA/UFO level games myself, but this conversation already happened a while ago.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2012, 10:52:41 PM »
SA has one of the easiest Hard and Lunatic modes in the series from what I remember playing and watching. It does have, however, relatively difficult Easy and Normal modes. UFO is harder overall by a huge margin.
in terms of attempts to clear I agree, but I put it off because I was scared of it lol.
My difficulty of lunatic modes though is as follows:
MoF < PCB < IN < EoSD < SA < TD < UFO

Almost no one agrees with my placement of TD, but SA is definitely pretty hard on lunatic.

Anyway, besides that I never want Marisa to stop being playable in main games. So even if there's a fresh start with a new canon (like EoSD), I hope Marisa carries over. Don't really care about the personality and design, as long as it's a witch that shoots love and lasers.
Bring Youmu along too  :V

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2012, 04:01:21 AM »
also import the cast of ufo because <3

« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »

SA doesn't have "overtuned difficulty." It's difficulty is just poorly skewed that its Easy and Normal are around the level of other games' normals/ stage1-3 Hards, while the hard and lunatic are comparable to IN's, so there aren't nearly as drastic changes between difficulties.

Really?
I found it much harder than UFO (I don't play on Lunatic yet, only Hard and Normal). Maybe it's just me not faring well with the patterns (mainly stage 5 - UFO's based on reflexes and SA's on memorization/movement...). But again, what messes my progression is the shot types, I need my Illusion Laser/Homing Amulets lol.

Tengukami

« Reply #160 on: June 10, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »
To move this thread away from gameplay difficulty discussion (which is actually what Help Me Eirin is for, in part), I'd add that I agree on not wanting another Subterranean Animism, but because descending into the depths of Hell was a story I was just not really thrilled about. It's been done, and the whole feel of the story was so claustrophobic at times. Give me flying out in the open air, up the mountainside, through the bamboo forest and what have you - delving deeper and deeper into a cavernous realm was just ugh. No thanks, let's skip that idea from now on.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #161 on: June 10, 2012, 09:48:24 PM »
I'm going to add what I'd not want to happen.

1) Okay, for starters TD disappointed me quite much. After playing it I didn't get the same feeling I got after experiencing the previous games for the first time. So, I don't want another game with a lesser degree of difficulty just to please a greater audience... a game as hard as UFO is good enough for me imo. But something that I really disliked about TD was the fact that yuyuko was the Stage 1 boss. I mean... she was a reused character and none of the previous games did such a thing. I don't really count Marisa and Reimu on IN that despite not being new, it was the first time we fought them on windows. And aya was reused, but it was also the first time we fought her on a regular danmaku game (PoFV used a different system, it wasn't a 6+1 stages title). So I don't want another game reusing previous characters this way. Now it feels like TD got a "hole" on stage 1 because it just used an already existing boss with different spell cards.

2) No new game that introduces absolutely no new character at all (i.e things like STB or GFW).

3) Also, like the majority I want no game focusing on males. This is just not like Touhou.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »
I've got a lot of faith in where the series goes, but I don't think I'd like it if the official games ended up with voice acting, either for the dialogue or the action. Well, unless ZUN stayed true to form and did all the voice acting himself. That'd make for the best and worst Touhou game possible.

(I would be entirely OK if men showed up in Gensokyo! Honestly, if Wriggle had turned out to be a boy it wouldn't have been a big deal at all.)

Tengukami

« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2012, 10:22:09 PM »
I know I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but I'd love to see voice acting in Touhou, both prior to the boss fight and during the fight itself. It's one of the things I love about the eXceed series.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #164 on: June 12, 2012, 12:07:19 AM »
I certainly wouldn't mind a bit of it, especially in the fighters. But if the lines in the STGs approach DoDonPachi Saidaioujou levels in terms of quantity, frequency, and silliness, I won't know whether to laugh or be in shock.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2012, 12:43:06 AM »
I never want Touhou to become Dragon ball z-ish. I mean can you imagine Ichirin and Unzan punching Aya into a rock wall. That would be funny but, it wouldn't feel like touhou.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »
So basically, an extreme focus on earth-shatteringly high power levels?

I'd dislike it if Touhou tried to prove it was for paedos only.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2012, 07:18:19 PM »
...?  :wat:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Tengukami

« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »

(Earlier in this thread ...)

I'd hate it if any of the characters would start hating on negroes. Especially my favorites :(

I don't think you're really getting the idea behind this thread. It's not "Any random shit that you can possibly dream of that you don't want to appear in Touhou"; but more "Things which could conceivably come to pass in Touhou that you really don't want to happen."

Vael

• Weaver of Illusions, Shaman of Dreams
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2012, 11:24:43 PM »
Like such:

The complete modernization of Gensokyo, I mean the levels of tech right now is at that right level of quirkiness, but any more and I fear that the cycle that pushed Yukari to create Gensokyo while start again.

Zil

« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2012, 11:58:46 PM »
Maybe he's thinking "things/attitudes he doesn't want the fandom to start doing/attributing to characters." Still pretty out-there though. :V

Voice acting would be kinda cool, actually. I wonder what plethora of memes would evolve from it.

« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »
I think I would dislike it if Gensokyo suddenly was overtaken by the technology of the outside world. I mean yeah, they use this stuff now, but if a "Modern" Gensokyo was to come about, that would just make me nostalgic of the former Gensokyo (think of Pc-98 to windows games)

So, ever played Touhou Mother before?

« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2012, 06:59:32 PM »
It probably was already mentioned before, but I wouldn't like to see fanon character interpretations becoming canon.

« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
Any examples? There are quite a lot of fanon character interpretations and well they are not all bad, I think.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2012, 09:28:44 PM »
A lot of people need to realise that not all fanon = Tsundere Alice/Mokou or jealous-of-her-own-reflection Parsee.
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Error

• No escape.
  • ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ oN
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2012, 01:42:21 AM »
The modernization of Gensokyo.
Doesn't SoPM say something about that, though?

So, people don't like males in their touhous. What if said male was gay?

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2012, 01:55:01 AM »
Then I would have a new favorite character <3

Oh, but he'd be forever alone because there are no other guys

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #177 on: June 20, 2012, 02:10:03 AM »
Oh, but he'd be forever alone because there are no other guys
Rinnosuke, Unzan and Genji say hi.  (as does Youki from beyond the grave)

« Reply #178 on: June 20, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »
Any examples? There are quite a lot of fanon character interpretations and well they are not all bad, I think.

Wait, my wording was very bad and had a totally different meaning as I intended.

Let's put it this way: I wouldn't like to see the canon characters more fleshed out, because that would limit the fanon character interpretations. Somewhat.

I hope it's more understandable now.

« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »
Sorry about the difficulty talk, I didn't meant to almost start a discussion.

Wait, my wording was very bad and had a totally different meaning as I intended.

Let's put it this way: I wouldn't like to see the canon characters more fleshed out, because that would limit the fanon character interpretations. Somewhat.

I hope it's more understandable now.

This is the exact reason why I'm against voice acting. I think voice and speech are half of a character's personality.

Btw... jealous-of-her-own-reflection Parsee is more canon than fanon :P