Author Topic: Art Tips Thread II  (Read 214792 times)

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
Re: Art Tips Thread II
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2013, 06:40:52 PM »
A lot of the links in the OP are broken.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2013, 06:02:21 AM »

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2013, 04:40:59 AM »
A lot of the links in the OP are broken.

That might of had to do with concept art going down for a bit and a lot of the links being from CA, but they should be working again now.
I'll check over the links this weekend anyway and remove/replace broken ones.

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »
Apologies if someone has already brought it up, but I found the book "Human Anatomy Made Amazingly Easy" to be really good. It sounds silly, but it boils down all the complicated anatomy references to handy techniques that people may find easier to pick up than just staring at a life-drawing book. Of course, it's a starting point, but it's really good for teaching the bread-and-butter of proportion, posing, body part structure, etc.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2013, 04:19:18 AM »

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2013, 07:43:11 AM »
Ok so I want to start really attempting proper pictures that involve scenery instead of just a static figure like I'm used too, I've attempted such a picture before but the perspective was a complete mess see for yourself, so I was wondering how you guys draw these kind of scenes or any kind of scene for that matter, do you draw the character first then the scenery/background or vice versa? It's an issue that's really bothering me and never really thought about much until now if I'm honest.

And in honesty now that I've actually thought about it, I think I've come to a realisation that if I had tried to sort out this issue of mine years ago, I'd prolly be a much better artist than I am now, it just never actually occurred to me until now and I'm kinda upset with myself that I didn't realise sooner :(
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2013, 07:09:40 PM »
The perspective on that pic ain't that bad; if anything, the Patchouli figure should be altered to be as if seen from above, since the rest of the pic seems to be as if seen by a security camera on the ceiling.

In the case of pictures like what you showed there, I'd draw what the character is sitting on first, then the character, and then the rest of the scenery. Before all that, though, I decide the angle of the whole pic, so I get an idea of how I change the contours of all the content to match said perspective.

Oh, and drawing the edges of rectangular things? I just experiment by changing th angles of them over and over, asking myself just what angle I'm looking at it per try. My prototype of one of my pics had the sofa looking as if from above, when I just needed to angle only half the edges to make it seem as if from the 3/4 view.

I hope none of that is confusing; brevity isn't one of my strong suits :ohdear:

Quad City QBs

« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2013, 07:10:47 AM »
Just wanna say this Illustrator tutorial is really cool!

Teewee

« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2014, 06:47:34 PM »
Been using this site as of late. The homeworks at the end of each tut give a sense of direction after the tut contents; maybe this'd help others here.

Arkeden

• That Guy
  • Live great, you need it.
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »

How do I make this look female? (This hand supposed to belong to a thin female)

It feels too masculine.

,_,
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:34:58 PM by Arkeden »
Just started drawing! Visit my deviantart
-> http://arkeden.deviantart.com/

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2014, 02:59:07 PM »
If the thumb was a bit thinner where it connects to the hand and you could have the transition from hand to arm at the right side bend inwards before it goes to the wrist where the bone stands out.
I suppose then it would look more feminine.
But depending on the perspective (I'm assuming you're looking straight at it but it could also be a little bit from down/left) the thing with the wrist wouldn't work.
Other than that one would need to see the rest of the body to put the hand into proportion, since you cannot really judge the slimness of a clenched fist in comparison to the whole figure. (At least I can't. :V)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:01:24 PM by Yookie »

Arkeden

• That Guy
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »
Other than that one would need to see the rest of the body to put the hand into proportion, since you cannot really judge the slimness of a clenched fist in comparison to the whole figure. (At least I can't. :V)

T_T

To be honest, I always overreact regarding my drawings look like male  as any girls I drew look like guys ._.

If the thumb was a bit thinner where it connects to the hand and you could have the transition from hand to arm at the right side bend inwards before it goes to the wrist where the bone stands out.
I suppose then it would look more feminine.

I'll try this. Thanks!

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2014, 03:24:42 PM »

To be honest, I always overreact regarding my drawings look like male  as any girls I drew look like guys ._.

I have a friend who practically only draws rather bulky male characters. So I gave her a small selection of Touhou characters from which she should draw one. The result was interesting. :P
(As a trade-off I had to draw Kazuya Mishima, which went equally well with me drawing only females. :V)

Teewee

« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2014, 06:10:26 AM »
So, I've been practicing drawing figures at about ~6 heads tall. As I finished the sketches, and tried to measure with my eyes, it seemed I succeeded in getting the height I wanted.

Then I broke out the ruler, to confirm. Ruler told me I was off by a whole head. So, I tried drawing a 6-head tall figure according to the ruler's numbers, and when I gave it a once-over with my eyes, my eyes told me the figure was 8 heads tall.

Something seems really wrong here. Could someone explain why this happens?

Arkeden

• That Guy
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
Hmmm... I can't call this concrete since I lack evidence but...there is 2 reasons.

One, it's hard to measure by eyes only.

Two, for me, this is what I would call as user preferences.
Every people have different preferences, adjusting their drawing subconsciously to fit their preferences.
And as they practiced on, they eventually nurtured it into their own original drawing style.
In short, your eyes is telling you your preferences for a drawing style.

Kimidori

• Undefined Fantastic Girl, Nue
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »
been self-learn by redraw naked female figure I found on the booru sites, is that a good way to learn drawing?

"No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement." -Logan M

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »
It is a good way to learn the general things with proportions and such but you should move on to setting up the poses you want to draw by yourself as soon as you can.
The thing with redrawing is that you don't get a feel for how you actually draw but instead confine yourself to the style of a different person and that only takes you so far in improving.

I for example "learned" by teaching myself via a trial and error method where I just drew stuff, spotted what felt wrong to me, drew more, spotted other mistakes and so on. But this definitely takes a while.

What you should do imho is to draw what you are not good at once in a while. And don't be too harsh on yourself if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:32:02 PM by Yookie »

Arkeden

• That Guy
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »
been self-learn by redraw naked female figure I found on the booru sites, is that a good way to learn drawing?

Although I'm not a good artist I'll answer : )
Also, don't take my answer too seriously, I'm not a good artist. "OTL

Answer:
It depends really.

If you are just redrawing then you would not learn much.

I'm not a good explainer but  basically.
When you redraw stuff you need to imagine it's position in your head.
Burn the positions and proportions in your head.
When you draw, you need to feel that whatever you draw is accurate.
Long story short, when you redraw, try to remember it's posture. Then attempt to redraw it as your own original drawing.

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2014, 05:57:45 PM »
So, I've been practicing drawing figures at about ~6 heads tall. As I finished the sketches, and tried to measure with my eyes, it seemed I succeeded in getting the height I wanted.

Then I broke out the ruler, to confirm. Ruler told me I was off by a whole head. So, I tried drawing a 6-head tall figure according to the ruler's numbers, and when I gave it a once-over with my eyes, my eyes told me the figure was 8 heads tall.

Something seems really wrong here. Could someone explain why this happens?

Could you post images to explain what you mean?

Well im assuming that these naked figures are live figures and if they are then yes its a good way to learn, but like Arkeden said when learning how to draw the figure and poses you also need to learn from it. Study and learn how the anatomy works and all that stuff, don't just draw it and move on to the next pose if that makes sense.

Also the method of drawing the pose, looking at what you did wrong and drawing the pose again works really well too.  Just as long as you're learning from those mistakes and not just drawing the same pose over and over again.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »
And don't be too harsh on yourself if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to.
It's hard when most of your drawans look either like shit or like some form of Cthulhu. :/

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2014, 06:41:08 PM »
I'm inclined to disagree, and would instead suggest anatomy guides and figure drawing courses / sessions. It's more important to grasp fundamentals first before going for style.

It's hard when most of your drawans look either like shit or like some form of Cthulhu. :/
Eh, we all mess up along the way. Simply move on to the next one taking into account the earlier errors.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2014, 11:48:00 PM »
Hey, I was wondeirng what artist's, if any, do you guys look too for inspiration cos recently I've been thinking that perhaps one of the issue's I have is I don't have an artist I can look too for inspiration?

Also I don't know if I have an issue but even when I go to doodle, I just end up looking at my blank paper/canvas and my mind goes blank and it annoys me to no end :/
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2014, 12:32:03 AM »
Also I don't know if I have an issue but even when I go to doodle, I just end up looking at my blank paper/canvas and my mind goes blank and it annoys me to no end :/

Classic art block. Take a breather, draw stuff you wouldn't normally, focus on backgrounds over characters etc etc.
Congregation of Impertinent Drama Queens.

Art threadLivestream | Pixiv

Teewee

« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2014, 10:14:13 PM »
Could you post images to explain what you mean?

Sorry it took a while, but here. To my eyes, and the circles I drew, the figure is 6 heads tall. When I measured it with a ruler, the head was 4.5 centimeters against a 22-centimeter figure (not counting what space the feet would occupy). Doing the math, it turns out that the figure I drew was no more than 5 heads tall, perhaps just a tiny bit more had I drawn in the feet.

So yeah, huge conflict between what my eye sees and what things actually are.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2014, 05:54:12 AM »
Nice and brief hair tutorial. Remember, good detailing isn't about how many strokes you have, it's how you use them!

Kimidori

« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2014, 12:03:24 PM »
I decided to halt on practising drawing anatomy and human figure drawing to focus on the face until I could draw a decent anime face.

is there a good tutorial, tips to draw specifically anime face? the tips on the OP is about human face at general, which somewhat different from how faces and hair is draw in anime facially and anatomically.

and no, I'm practice art as an hobby, I want to draw anime because it is what I love and because I want to one day create something visually beautiful, so I wouldn't care less about not being able to draw anything but anime-style drawing.

"No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement." -Logan M

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »
Eeh, anime faces work the same as realistic faces, just... bigger
And with less nose

So I guess work from there
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

pineyappled

« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2014, 06:21:51 PM »
You can't really learn from an anime face tutorial because animu is so reliant on style.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Kimidori

« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2014, 09:29:59 AM »
Almost every art tutorial I have seen so far always draw the basic shapes before getting to detail, but watching some artist stream and drawing video on youtube, I noticed that most of them don't do that at all and get straight to draw the facial feature detail.

my question is: is basic shape drawing necessary at all? is it only good for learning artist to get the facial position and anatomy right?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:38:33 AM by Kimidori »