Author Topic: Create.swf Adventures: Cottagesnagged  (Read 83165 times)

Create.swf Adventures: Cottagesnagged
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:46:50 PM »
> <=-

The Hakurei Shrine in Gensokyo, on April 17th 2049. The time is 10:16 PM.

Something feels ... off.

> <=-

> <=-

> <=-

> <-=-

> [S] Cottagesnagged

Far off at the unfashionable end of a Japanese mountain range lies the old, decrepit Hakurei Shrine. Given the general state of disrepair, the effects of weather and so on, the evidence suggests that it has been abandoned for a couple of decades, give or take.

Which is a bit odd, because it was actually abandoned about a hundred and fifty years ago.

In truth, the Shrine is a gateway to Gensokyo, the Land of Illusion. The premise is simple: if there is sufficient active disbelief in any phenomenon in the Outside World, or at least if it passes into legend, it is possible for it to appear in Gensokyo, perhaps spontaneously. And so it is filled with magic and monsters and youkai of all descriptions, as well as a few species of mundane flora and fauna which are extinct in the Outside World. Books related to the moon landings and such things, too, if enough people start believing it was faked.

It was easily-accessible until Yukari Yakumo, the Mistress of Boundaries and Sage of Youkai, realized that as far as magic was concerned, Earth was going to hell in a handbasket. If nobody did anything, magic might completely die out. Thus, 174 years ago, in 1884 by the Outside World's calendar ? and so, the year is now 174 by Gensokyo's calendar ? she and the miko of the Hakurei Shrine erected the great Hakurei Barrier around Gensokyo, sealing it away from the increasingly-scientific Outside World. Magic is now preserved, protected, and hidden.

The Hakurei Shrine is inside Gensokyo too, of course. This version merely looks like upkeep has been a bit perfunctory lately.

And you?

> -=->

You are Hakurei Satsuki. Or ... Satsuki Hakurei, you're always getting the name-order mixed up. Uh, your given name is Satsuki, and your family name is Hakurei. Y'know what, let's just call you Sacchin.

(As an aside for new arrivals, red text is for Japanese names in the Western given-name family-name order, and for text which is supposedly translated from Japanese; blue is for names which are already Western, and for text which was in English to begin with; and midori is for Japanese names in the Japanese family-name given-name order, and text which is not translated from Japanese.)

You are in training to become the miko of the Hakurei Shrine (the one inside the Barrier), under Reimu Hakurei, your adopted grandmother, who holds the current title of shrine maiden despite being in her seventies. Your duties will include maintaining both the Shrine and the Hakurei Barrier, resolving Incidents (peacibly or otherwise), and sitting around drinking tea. You are extremely skilled at that last one.

At the moment, you have completed all necessary chores and rituals for the time being, and you finished quickly enough that you now have a little bit of time in which there isn't anything particularly required of you. You're never entirely sure what to do in one of these temporal gaps; generally, either things just sort of happen so that you have something fun to do, or the time ends up entirely wasted. These two possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

Either way, right now you're pretty much free. What will you do first?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:13:29 PM by KimikoMuffin »

Kyo Tanaka

• Don't worry Sakuya, I will (Uuu~♥) protect you...
Re: Create.swf Adventures: Cottagesnagged
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:50:25 PM »
>Play with the Yin-Yang Orb

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:57:42 PM »
>Now is as good a time as any to flip the flippity flip out!

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 11:01:52 PM »
1884 by the Outside World's calendar

It's 1885, not 1884

>Relationships
>Quests
>Skills
>Inventory
>Do we have  any spellcards?
>Can we even use Danmaku?

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:05:18 PM »
Of course she can if she's resolved incidents :V

Are we a human or something else?

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 12:27:48 AM »
> Is Reimu old and slow enough that we can poke at her age and get away with it?
> How has Reimu treated us so far anyway?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 12:31:18 AM »
> How has Reimu treated us so far anyway?

>Related: Malnourishment problems?

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 12:52:34 AM »
Quote from: Sonae
>Relationships
>Given that we're the Hakurei shrine-maiden-in-training, are we more acquainted with youkai or with humans?

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 02:59:44 AM »
> Make some tea and laze around.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Ibaraki Ibuki

• The Forum Fool
  • Happy Horned Hermit
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 03:23:56 AM »
>Quickly retrieve arms from sleeves.
>Inspect Yin-Yang orb.
>See if Reimu is awake.
Some of Master's sayings:
Nothing happened, but that's still an extra.
Yesterday was not special; tomorrow will be.
Strange and romantic is the fate.

Grimarg

• B-but you haven't promoted me yet!
  • Thanks Aoshi for the avvy! :3
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 03:28:38 AM »
>Find something to eat.
>Play with the Ying-Yang orb.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 06:45:23 AM »
It's 1885, not 1884
Eh, I've seen both. Anyway, this continuity has its own timeline.

(Sorry, I'll make an actual upd8 later ...)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »
> Is Masha still adorable?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 07:22:07 PM »
(... and I belatedly notice that I derped so ALL the links in the first post were broken, b'duh. FIXED!)

> Sacchin: Quickly retrieve arms from [one of eight million jokes]

Oh, what, a nine-year-old running around with weaponry? Fine, you're the player character.

> -=->

That stick with the paper-thingies on it is called a gohei. It's good for two things: sacred rituals, and bapping supernatural heads. And you're all out of rituals! ... uh ... and heads.

You have two Spell Cards for danmaku, the magical martial art used by Gensokyo's inhabitants for ... conflict-resolution. They are called Dream Sign Evil Sealing Circle and Dream Sign Duplex Barrier, and both of them are gifts from your grandmother. Of course, you can make danmaku bullets look and fly however you want, but Spell Cards are a good way of formalizing things, and either way, it just feels right for a shrine maiden to use bullets that look like paper amulets.

> Sacchin: Inspect Yin-Yang orb.

Ah, yes, the Hakurei Yin-Yang Orb. It is an ancient artifact, passed down since the creation of the Hakurei Barrier, with a formidable power for fighting youkai. This primarily takes the form of bouncing around chaotically so that you're just as likely to wreck the Shrine or hit yourself as you are to strike an enemy.

It also has a number of special abilities which can only be used by a blood member of the Hakurei clan. Unfortunately, as mentioned before, you were adopted.

> -=->

None of these items have ever seen any major combat use, at least not in your own hands. When you've gone adventuring, your grandmother has always had you hang back, on the basis that a squishy human like yourself is in more danger than a really experienced youkai-fighter. You see her point after witnessing some of the frankly insane moves she's pulled off when facing some of her more dangerous opponents. It's disappointing, but you can see that she cares about you. She's always gone out of her way to make sure your life is safe and comfortable, at least when you weren't actively involved in your training at the moment.

Anyway, that's enough of that. It's not like anyone's being depicted without arms, you just had your hands behind your back.

> Sacchin: Step outside and examine your surroundings.

Well, it's definitely a nice day out.

Your grandmother left earlier to meet with a friend of hers, a youkai named Yukari Yakumo. Come to think of it, most of your friends are youkai. In any event, she said she'd be back by lunchtime.

It looks like things will be peaceful until then. There haven't been any Incidents worth mentioning lately, and it's certainly unlikely that something will come up before your grandmother gets back; notwithstanding your training, only a complete idiot would try to attack the Shrine in broad daylight.

> -=->

Enter complete idiots, stage left.

Fairies are notorious for 1. being stupid, 2. the fact that they do not die when they are killed, and 3. not fully grasping that death is permanent for humans, which sometimes makes them a bit more hazardous than they might be otherwise.

> -=->

As far as you and your grandmother are concerned, however, they are also 4. weak enough that two fairies are easy, even for you. You're not that experienced in danmaku combat, but you would say that you're adequate.

(Introducing new-and-improved Strife Modus: AGGRESS! You may now submit combat-commands for the rest of this sequence. Commands will be chosen based on consensus among the submitted commands, the entertainment potential of an action and its results, and how easy depicting it in Create.swf would be.)

> Strife Modus: AGGRESS!

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »
>Agglomerate

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »
>Aggrandize!

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 12:00:57 AM »
>Relationships
>Quests
>Inventory

Did these get answered? I don't recall seeing any answers for the Relationships one in particular.

>Dodge danmaku with style.
>Leap up and Swing down on the closest idiot fairy.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 12:16:58 AM »
Did these get answered? I don't recall seeing any answers for the Relationships one in particular.

>Dodge danmaku with style.
>Leap up and Swing down on the closest idiot fairy.
Relationships:  I guess the 'most of your friends are youkai' was meant to address that.  Also presumably you'd be friendly with Reimu's friends, such as Yukari, yes?

Also seems the only quest we have now is the intro here, ie: annihilate some fairly aggressive fairies.

>launch ofuda in narrow paths toward fairy chests.  Hit em in the center and pop em like balloons!
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 06:08:37 AM »
> Bap supernatural heads.

Grimarg

• B-but you haven't promoted me yet!
  • Thanks Aoshi for the avvy! :3
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 07:30:50 AM »
>Dodge swiftly.
>Throw massive amounts of ofuda with little aim hoping that one will hit them and make them go pichuu~n

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 04:12:51 PM »
>Fly over their onslaught and hit them with a back attack!

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 04:21:28 PM »
>Bap heads, etc.
>Supergraze.

Ibaraki Ibuki

• The Forum Fool
  • Happy Horned Hermit
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »
>Use headbutt.
>Throw your gohei at the foolish fairies.
Some of Master's sayings:
Nothing happened, but that's still an extra.
Yesterday was not special; tomorrow will be.
Strange and romantic is the fate.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 09:11:52 PM »
> Use Headbutt
> Use Flail
> Use Tackle
> Be Super Effective
Alternatively,
>Be Not Very Effective

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 09:32:21 PM »
>Throw your gohei at the foolish fairies.

Throwing your gohei always works.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:11 PM »
>Aggregate

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 09:58:33 PM »
I'm sure there's a perfectly sensible compromise...

> Bap supernatural heads by throwing your Gohei!

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 10:50:56 PM »
> Abundantly Abuse and Agress
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 11:19:14 PM »
> [Aggress] Sacchin: Bap supernatural heads!

Bah, it's not like ordinary fairies are worth a one-liner. Your cranial assault reduces each fairy's Health from "Just Fine" to "Kinda Okay," and you have no idea how you managed to avoid getting hit there.

> [Aggress] Sacchin: Fly over their onslaught and hit them with a back attack!

Yeah! Just like your grandmother did with that darkness-youkai and ow ow OW! Your Health is reduced to Pretty Good.

> [Aggress] Sacchin: Attend askance at addle-brained adversaries, arm anatomy, and alliterate all antagonists!

Okay, the original version was too long to fit into the title-space, but no more miko nice guy, it's time to bring out the Spell Cards! You briefly wish you could use some of the more powerful ones like Spirit Sign Fantasy Seal, but they all require full use of the Hakurei Yin-Yang Orb.

> [Aggress] -=->

The first fairy's Health is reduced to Kaput. The other fairy manages to avoid your aggression completely.

Incidentally, here is a handy-dandy chart of all possible Health values:

> Continue Strife Modus: AGGRESS!

---

also sorry about the lateness, a bunch of motivation-killers (read: sleep-problems and sleep-interruptions) just ... disrupted stuff.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:15:13 PM by KimikoMuffin »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »
> Commence Combat Operation: Foward Focus Shot Type

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.