Author Topic: Cons of Cannibalism  (Read 17416 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: Cons of Cannibalism
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2010, 03:16:31 AM »
Meh, I still like Carter, warts and all. He got Egypt and Israel to talk to each other, he tried to bring the metric system into the US, and he put solar panels on the White House roof (which Reagan immediately removed). So maybe he wasn't stellar, but still. I've said before that on his gravestone they're going to engrave "He Tried".
I dunno, I agree with you on his human rights policy and he was pretty good at the diplomat game, but economics wise he was probably one of the worst ever.

So who do you approve of?

I dunno, Eisenhower had it right.  Massive top bracket rates on the wealthy to pay off war debts, and huge investments in infrastructure to keep running the industrial capacity we gained during the war.  Yet he was ever vigilant not to build up a military-industrial complex, and was a very outspoken critic of the more hardline warhawks like MacArthur.

Seriously, the guy inherited a massive reconstruction effort and managed to create not only an amazingly prosperous economy but kept most of the world from collapsing.  He brought Japan back on its feet, rebuilt West Germany and Italy, and he arguably kept the world from EVER reaching another World War again with his commitment to international dialog.  I mean, the 50s were a horribly scary time.  The Soviets had the bomb and were under the reigns of an absolutely brutal dictator, and Communist revolts were occuring all around the world with dictators getting their conquering on while everyone else was licking their wounds from WW2.

If it were anyone else we would have likely escalated Korea to a fullout war with the USSR and we'd all be dead from radiation.
Eisenhower is my man.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2010, 03:27:04 AM »
And who's stupid idea was it to put a movie star as president? That was idiotic.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2010, 03:29:02 AM »
And who's stupid idea was it to put a movie star as president? That was idiotic.
That doesn't really mean anything.  It shouldn't really matter what your background is before becoming President.  The problem with Reagan was his misguided notion that in order to beat Communism you had to outspend them, but at the same time cut all taxes so the government is in horrible deficit mode.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2010, 05:17:57 AM »
And yet California had the Governator.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2010, 06:28:07 AM »
I know I'm terribly late, but:

We nuked Arizona all through the 50s and 60s, that just made things worse.

This amused me far too much. GJ.

JT doesn't know what he's talking about. Clearly the best solution is to slide a big blue tarp under Arizona and tie loads of helium balloons to the corners, lifting it into the sky. Trade winds should carry it to the Pacific, where it can float down and gently rest upon the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

You have the best ideas, Tengukami.
There was something here once. Wonder what...