Author Topic: "Do you like scary movies?"  (Read 19825 times)

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
"Do you like scary movies?"
« on: October 13, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »
Well, it's around the middle of October, so you all know what's coming up soon.  That's right, it's almost Christmas~!

* Moerin is wrapped in a carpet and beaten with sticks

Owies... B-but they're already advertising it in stores... Way too damn early, really.  I mean, Halloween hasn't even passed yet!  And speaking of the Eve of All Hallows...

Y'see, I love horror films.  Like, really, really love them.  The bad ones are some of the most unintentionally hilarious things you'll ever see, yes (which is why we love them, right?), whilst few things can beat the adrenaline rush you get from something genuinely scary (I'm of the opinion that, somewhere deep down in their twisted psyches, humans actually enjoy being scared in a controlled environment like that).  Whilst the genre tends to be looked down upon by more "sophisticated" critics, I still feel like it's one of the best for really getting into the minds of people.  Fear is one of the most basic, primal emotions we have, and it's always fascinating to see the many, varied attempts by film makers to tap into that~

Um... Anyways, the point is, I love horror movies.  And what better night to watch them than Halloween?  ...Yes, I know it's kinda lame, but I just have a little tradition going where I watch horror movies every Halloween and dear god yes it's uninspired but I digress.  Y'see, usually I borrow my sister's horror DVDs (she's really into the genre, going as far as to describe her general taste in films as "trashy horror"), but I thought this year I'd try to avoid pestering her and use my own collection instead.

...Only to find out that the only "horror" DVD I own is Army of Darkness which, whilst being a fun film, is not exactly what I'm looking for.  So... I kinda need help.  I wanna find something good (or bad, it's all good) to watch on Halloween, but I thought I'd ask around and see what everyone's opinion on the genre was, and what they considered where the classics of terror.  So tell me, what's a scary movie to you?  What really makes your skin crawl to watch?  What films terrify you so much that you almost wet yourself thinking about them?  And if you still like these films, why?  Why do you like watching something that scares you so much?

...Or, conversely, which films do you think try to be scary, but fail so utterly that they end up being hilarious?  And which of these end up being a better movie because of these failings?
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: "Do you like scary movies?"
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 04:21:52 PM »
I can't believe you managed to write all that without a single <.< or >.> Thank you, and congratulations!

The scariest scary movies I've ever seen would include The Shining, The Changeling and The Ring. Those are billed as horror, though.

When it comes to movies not billed as horror, Mulholland Dr. That is actually the most frightening film I have ever seen. It's about 3 hours long, though, and it's David Lynch, so it isn't for everyone. But that movie really reaches to the root of terror, in my opinion.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

JT

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 04:54:46 PM »
I like horror movies, but mostly just for fun or excitement. Over-the-top gore or so-bad-it's-good type movies are the best for watching with friends, while psychological horror or jump scares are good for dates. Some favorites include The Shining, Shaun of the Dead, and Session 9 (though mostly just for this one scene).

If you want to get scared, read House of Leaves.

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:56:39 PM »
I like the brooding, psychological horror. I prefer to stick to games, though - Amnesia and Silent Hill come to mind. My stepfather has long ruined my like of horror movies, given his greatest obsession in life is watching films about torture/squick/blood (SAW) or slasher films with copious amounts of boobage. :|

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 05:25:58 PM »
I find myself interested in slowly approaching horror than I am in, say, slasher flicks. An incredibly sheltered childhood had everything to do with this; my parents would never let me watch that stuff (and in all honesty, I thank them for it) but they would let me watch psychological horror if I wished, and I read more than my fair share of horror novels (though I still haven't gotten around to House of Leaves, which I should correct).

So tell me, what's a scary movie to you?  What really makes your skin crawl to watch?  What films terrify you so much that you almost wet yourself thinking about them?  And if you still like these films, why?  Why do you like watching something that scares you so much?
That's the thing-- I scare myself enough through my chosen major. Genocide, plague, war throughout history have done a much better job of traumatizing me to the point of nightmares every night that unless something really scary pops up, it doesn't scare me half as much as what we do to each other in real life.

That said, films like Hostel make my skin crawl from the sheer description-- and not for the right reasons. I don't like the types of horror films that invoke nausea or revulsion over having my heart race for thinking that there's something in the darkness that I can't see from here and have to go over to see. My favored nightmare fuel is the Nothing is Scarier variety (sorry for the link, but some people don't know what that means), where it's my own brain that fills in the details of what could be waiting there for me in the darkness-- and considering the material that my brain has to throw at me, it's terrifying.

Why I like doing that over and over again? For a long time, fear and anger were the only two emotions I could really... well, feel at all. No matter how closed-off I get, those two always remain, so it's important that I keep them sensitized to this kind of thing.

Tengukami

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
By The Changeling, incidentally, I don't mean that Clint Eastwood flick from 2008, but the George C. Scott flick from 1980.

Gore and violence don't scare me really as badly as the unknown threat. For example, The Road. So many terrifying moments in that movie, none of which had to do with violence but the threat of it, such as when
Spoiler:
the father and son discover those people being kept alive in the basement for food, and then the people doing this return home
. That was pretty effin' scary, as far as I'm concerned - not slasher gore shit, but stuff that really strikes at the root of your humanity, putting that primal fear of the dark into you.

On a side note, for comedy-horror, nothing trumps Re-Animator. I swear I could watch that a thousand times and never get sick of the scene when they bring their dead cat back to life, and he attacks everyone.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 05:44:19 PM »
I rarely watch horror films these days, but The Call of Cthulhu by the HPLHS is easily the best Lovecraft film adaptation I've ever seen. I also really liked the Silent Hill movie, but that's me. Cloverfield is another damn good one, if you don't mind the camera.

Honestly, I usually play horror games more often. The Silent Hill series is one I highly recommend. While I haven't played it yet, Amnesia looks fantastic, and Sanitarium, though somewhat cheesy at parts, is exquisitely done.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 06:21:53 PM »
I was not a sheltered kid growing up. Watched all the latest horror movies when they first came out during the brief time I had satellite, when I was around 10 or so. I'm too desensitized to get any enjoyment out of horror movies now, but I still get occasional bouts of horrifying sleep paralysis to keep me from getting too bored~ (Actually, I shouldn't joke about that. Woke up from a truly revolting dream this morning which I do not ever want to talk about...)

Favorite horror movie is The Thing btw.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:32:31 PM by ChainsawGuitar »

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 06:30:35 PM »
>implying you need something more than Army of Darkness

: (

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »
I have never liked horror.  It just doesn't do much for me, and most of them also tend to gross me out more than anything else.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Aterisk

• アタリスク・アイダロ
  • 男は僕の心を素早く盗みます。
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 07:10:36 PM »
My type of horror is well... varied :3

If I had to recommend any movies though it would be:
Funny Games (The English one)
Bug Crush (If you dont mind something a little... erm... Gay... and dark... and well lets just say this movie gave me nightmares)
Saw (The first one only)
THE RING (Creepy shit man...)
Erm... Cant think of anymore right now but those are the best <3 (IMNSHO)

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 07:19:35 PM »
I'm a huge wimp when it comes to horror but I thoroughly enjoyed The Grudge movies. (1 & 2, despite most people saying 2 was horrible I still enjoyed it) 1408 is also an awesome movie for the psychological thriller in it, though I recently rewatched it and it was more hilarious that it was thrilling.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 08:04:26 PM »
I'm less of a wimp now then I was before (in theory), but I do love watching scary movies with people. I startle really easily, and i'll usually have the next person's arm in a vicegrip though. :V

I'd name off specific movies but it's been so long since i've seen one :ohdear:
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 09:10:11 PM »
I'll keep track of this thread because I've been wanting some horror tips for a long time too :3

But what the fuck, how come Braindead wasn't suggested here yet as the most hilarious trashiest trashy movie in the history of excessive fake blood and pure joy?
Seriously, grab some beer, invite your friends over, and watch Braindead. It's by Peter Jackson too :3
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 09:20:50 PM »
Well, it's kinda ironic that I named the thread after a quote from a slasher film when I'm not really a big fan of that genre (the original Scream was a pretty cool post-modernist piece, the sequels... Not so much).  I mean, there's really only two slasher series that I can count myself a fan of, those being Nightmare on Elm Street and Child's Play/Chucky, mostly because of the fact that I like supernatural horror in general.  However, the former is also a favourite of mine due to the inventive deaths and the fact that Freddy is just such a fun character when the absolute terror that is his power isn't dwelling on your mind, and the latter just fits into that whole "perversion of innocence" thing in the earlier movies when it still tried to pass itself off as a straight up slasher film, and when the franchise eventually decided to embrace the sheer absurdity of the premise and run with it it just become so hilarious~  Also, if it counts, then the original Alien, as it's pretty much a slasher IN SPACE!  I prefer the sequel myself, but that's more of a straight-up action film, so.  I will admit I'm horribly biased towards this movie due to the fact that H.R. Giger, the designer of a lot of the sets and the alien itself is one of my favourite artists.  A lot of his stuff is pretty terrifying, really, so I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested in truly unsettling artwork, and women with penises for heads.

But yeah, like I said, I like supernatural horror.  It's probably not much of a surprise for some people that I absolutely adore the original Hellraiser (as much as some people will claim to be frightened of the Cenobites, I always thought that skinless creep Frank was easily the most unsettling and terrifying thing in the film), and the Evil Dead series was one of those things I'd watch late at night whenever some channel dared to air them when I was a kid (the original was the most (in)famous of the so-called "Video Nasties", and was banned here for a while).  Funnily enough, Evil Dead is kinda the opposite of a lot of horror series, as it actually gets better with each installment.  Groovy~

Then there's always the obvious ones like The Exorcist, The Shining (which I didn't find as scary as I thought I would, aside from that one scene with the bath... *shivers*), The Ring...

...And another "The ----" film, The Birds.  It's older than a lot of the other horror films I watch, but... There's just something unsettling about something as mundane as birds suddenly going crazy and trying to kill everyone.  Also I forgot I actually have this on DVD and I have no idea why I forgot it.  Penance must be made, but that can wait.

The Birds is a pretty good example of the other kind of horror I like.  Y'see, I'm a very, very paranoid person.  You'd expect me to be absolutely terrified of the more subtle, dark, unsettling kinds of horror and... You'd be right.  The kind of thing which makes you afraid to sleep at night because if you do, they will get you, and you don't even know who they are.  The kind of thing that makes you afraid of strangers, because who knows what dark, terrible secrets they hold?  It's... Kinda more difficult to name films that really live up to this kind of thing, though.  It's just a general mood that puts you on edge, that fear of the unknown, of the dark, of that unseen beast that lurks in every shadow and wants to rip you to shreds if you do something as horribly mundane as stepping on a crack in the road or chewing gum too quickly.

Oh, and I'm pretty creeped out simply by reading the descriptions of a lot of body horror films.  Just... The human body is pretty disgusting as is, but in it's own way it's beautiful.  To even think of the sheer utter wrongness that comes from the perversion and warping of the flesh is just... It squicks me out.

I can't believe you managed to write all that without a single <.< or >.> Thank you, and congratulations!
I'm not an addict!  I can quit anytime I want!

>implying you need something more than Army of Darkness

: (
As good a film it is, I still want to watch more than one movie.  It's definitely on the list, though~

I'm less of a wimp now then I was before (in theory), but I do love watching scary movies with people. I startle really easily, and i'll usually have the next person's arm in a vicegrip though. :V

I'd name off specific movies but it's been so long since i've seen one :ohdear:
There, there, Imouto-chan... Tell you what, if I ever get over to America, I will make it my solemn duty to educate you in the ways of horror cinema!

...And I totally don't have an ulterior motive there, honest. :3

I'll keep track of this thread because I've been wanting some horror tips for a long time too :3

But what the fuck, how come Braindead wasn't suggested here yet as the most hilarious trashiest trashy movie in the history of excessive fake blood and pure joy?
Seriously, grab some beer, invite your friends over, and watch Braindead. It's by Peter Jackson too :3
Oh man I've been meaning to check that out at some point.  It just looks like so much fun, ufu~

...Maybe I can swipe it from my sister next time I see her...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:21:04 PM by Moerin the Trinity~♥ »
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 10:06:41 PM »

Oh god I had forgotten about that movie. Loads of zombies + lawnmower = awesome.

Though the pudding scene still makes me gag a little.

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 11:40:16 PM »
If you want to get scared, read House of Leaves.

fixed

ANYWAY, love horror media, mostly the psychological stuff like Paranormal Activity or Silent Hill. Over-the-top gory stuff like Hostel is good for watching with friends, though.

Currently watching Marble Hornets, if that counts!

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 03:01:58 AM »
one of the scariest movies I watched is Event Horizon.

I don't care what you all have to say about it, it is an amazing movie about possibilities of Hell in a new way.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 03:09:57 AM »
Though the pudding scene still makes me gag a little.

Man, the pudding scene! And before that, superglue!
Also a lot later on
Spoiler:
dat got damn intestine
. It's enough joy for the entire movie as it is.

...Maybe I can swipe it from my sister next time I see her...
Have fun :toot:
I'm extremely fanboyish to that movie.
                                                                                   .

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 05:33:30 AM »
As the kind of kid who had nightmares all the time, was and is still afraid of the dark, and is afraid of just about everything, I love horror movies.  I rarely scare during movies but it's rare that I don't scare the next night.  It's really honestly terribly embarrassing, if some of you recall that one time we all watched [rec] and I got a migraine the next morning, that was rather terribly unpleasant for me.

And yet I just swallow these things up.  Never watched many actually good horror movies though.  In honesty, I found The Ring to be a bit of a joke, it didn't scare me for some reason.  I thought Dark Water, yes, the American version, was a pretty good film, if not exactly a horror film, I recall The Exorcism of Emily Rose being entertaining to some extent, and the discovery channel shows A Haunting fairly often, and that's just a fantastic show.

I need to watch more actually scary movies though, as much as it sucks freaking out the next night, apparently it's a feeling I'm kind of addicted to or something :3

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 05:52:43 AM »
re: The Ring

I've never seen THE RINGU but the american ring was pretty funny imo

not really scary at all.

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 06:35:39 AM »
I found The Ring to be a bit of a joke

Yeah.
Seconding Ryuu on not seeing the original, though.
                                                                                   .

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 06:50:56 AM »
I rarely scare during movies but it's rare that I don't scare the next night.  It's really honestly terribly embarrassing, if some of you recall that one time we all watched [rec] and I got a migraine the next morning, that was rather terribly unpleasant for me.
Adding to this: When we all watched [rec] on Livestream, I was scared, but I enjoyed it. Horror movies are the best fun when you watch them with friends so you can all freak out together. :3

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 07:12:08 AM »
I once couldn't sleep all night because of Nightmare on Elm Street.  :V

StainGlass

• Not the only one
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 08:42:07 AM »
I remember I was terrified in theaters when I first saw Signs. Must have been my huge fear of aliens. Since then no other movie has really scared me, and Signs of course isn't so bad anymore either  :blush:

So I do like horror movies even though they aren't really 'horrifying'. A lot of the gory ones are beyond ridiculous though.

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 10:41:35 AM »
Birds. Man, that brings back memories.
Really don't enjoy horror movies, but my dad helped me appreciate the "monster movies".
Aliens, Jurassic Park, Them, Creature of the Black Lagoon, Gorgo.

Dorian Loup

• Lurker
  • I'm a member now o/
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »
Nobody talked about Audition yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audition_%28film%29

This is truly the best horror movie I have ever seen. It's the only one I had to close my eyes in front of so that I didn't puke. Not because it was really gorish or anything (I have seen Cannibal Holocaust without any problem), but because of the dramatic tension and the horror of one character.

French noob!

Tengukami

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 11:29:34 AM »
Based on a Ryu Murakami novel? Yeah, I can believe it's pretty disturbing.

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 12:20:08 PM »
I personally haven't seen any horror movies, really. I mostly prefer scaring myself with some of the well-written creepypasta. :V

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 12:54:29 PM »
I never thought Audition was scary, but it did make me so uncomfortable that I wanted to puke.  The change from a dull first-half to such a nerve-wracking second half is masterful.

When I saw [rec] I passed it on to my manager in the projection booth and told him that I thought it was the future of horror movies.  Kind of correct, so that's cool.

I really like the classics, namely Alien and The Shining, and I hold The Exorcist in incredibly high esteem as a movie in general (the first time I watched the exorcism scene I was absolutely floored and could barely breathe until it ended, absolutely spectacular).  I particularly love The Thing because Carpenter's effects are just so disgusting that it just draws you in.

I dislike most "horror" movies because they tend to rely too heavily on jump scares while I prefer an unsettling atmosphere, which I believe to be more terrifying than any amount of violin crescendos accompanying something jumping into frame, or because they're, as Roger Ebert put it, "dead teenager movies" and are usually quite boring.  No amount of gore or blood can make up for weak story-telling.

Hi, I watch movies.