Author Topic: Touhou Project 12.5 ~ ダブルスポイラー (Double Spoiler) announced, girls are preparing.  (Read 236093 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Well last time I seen you was when you were translating Marisa's Grimmoire and after that your account went "poof". Oh well, history = history. Good to know you are reading this place still (guest or registered)

I'll modify the OP to add Nazerine's name in there.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
I'm actually surprised he's releasing anything at all, I was expecting him to take the year off. So it doesn't bother me that it's just another StB game. I think it's seriously wishful thinking that Touhou 13 will come out this year in addition to it, though.

StB is just too hard for me, so I doubt I'll be sinking much, if any, time into it. New ZUN songs though, new songs are always good!

I guess I'll just take the time to catch up and try to 1CC SA and UFO. (Fucking stage 5 cats.)

While I suck at StB, it's good to see another "different" game, as it has been a while.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
So Lucarius is the supposed Spy of the Japanese! :O

*waves* Hello Japanese!

I actually remember him when he started to translate The Grimoire of Marisa. 

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
9.5 was running on the old engine right? (Pre MoF). If 12.5 is based on the newer engine, we can expect pretty much a lot of smooth effects and danmaku. This is definitely going to be a very refreshing Touhou game.

Excited as hell here and in the meanwhile . . . .

I have to study for my midterm exam orz

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
Bleh, I was hoping to have something I could say, but well here.

To celebrate the soon to be released Double Spoiler, have a double spoiler. :P

Spoiler:
img522.imageshack.us/img522/5097/1267606047912.png

For posting an oversized image, you only get a single spoiler. :V ~Matsuri
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 04:51:19 PM by Matsuri »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
Ahaha I like the reactions to this announcement
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
I'm glad I can tell them "There are some who appreciate ZUN's works enough to go tell others to read his afterwords."

It seems that Nazerine did translate the entire thing, but Totaku miss-posted both the link and the content.
Here's Nazerine's full translation with pictures.
http://nazerine.deviantart.com/journal/30667342/
Just clarifying, I translated only the last line (without necessity). Credit goes to Nazerine.
Nazerine's Pinoy!? o_o *salutes*
Thinking of saving the page for later home reading, but ack, saved DA pages don't display nicely on our PC at home >.<... Eh, *go for broke, copypasta translation to text file* Thanks, Lucarius! >w<

*insert reserved danmaku giggles here*

Aya Racing.img
OHIMGA---------- Is this what I think it is!? *is now kinda more hyped over another thing* >////////////<

BTW, you oughtta resize that to <=400x400 from its source, Totaku.
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

JoonK

• Touhou scrub
  • Life's a game but it's not fair~
    • My Youtube Account
I'm pretty excited for this game, and not too surprised it's in the StB style.

But seriously? DOUBLE SPOILER??? what kind of subtitle is that?
Yuka <3
^^^ Links to newest/best YT upload

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
Well, that's Aya we're talking about.

She could write anything
Spoiler:
spoilers
about Gensokyo's Human and Youkai residents, especially those not introduced did not show up in StB xD
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
StB like ? Damn I suck a bit at StB, fffff....
anyway, there is TH 12 12.3 12.5 maybe we will have 12.8 12.85 12.91 12.95 12.98 and so on...
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
Re: Touhou Project 12.5 ~ (Double Spoiler) announced, girls are preparing.
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2010, 01:18:11 PM »
So we get Xeno's Touhou then?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
But seriously? DOUBLE SPOILER??? what kind of subtitle is that?
Actually, it's the main title. Bunkachou is the subtitle this time.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
Well, I kinda think that StB used the MoF engine, though an incomplete one.

Menreiki

• I'll get your slippers; if you pet me.
  • No, really.
Ok, I'm kind of sad reading some posts in this thread. Saying that this is the worst announcement ever is incredible stupid. Just because you can't beat the 5-x wall doesn't mean that StB is bad, actually it is probably one of the best in the whole series.

Seriously if you only want a Touhou game mainly because of the character and "story" and not because of the danmaku patterns, then you have a problem, since Touhou is all about this. You have 10 days, get a clean StB dat and complete it, you will realize how fun it is. And probably you will appreciate a little how much effort and love ZUN puts into each game.

For me, I'll play the hell out of this when it comes out. It looks really awesome.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
To continue off the above post, if you didn't like StB or aren't incredibly excited by this announcements, that's a personal failing on your part. Seriously assess why you have a problem, and consider some counseling.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
People are not reasonable and they are greedy and spoiled as hell (general form of speech).

9.5 was meant to be a game like ZUN exactly describes it for 12.5, a game where you don't have to beat a specific storyline or bad-character causing trouble for Reimu. It is like those "load-and-play"  games. Also danmaku is suppose to be in ZUN's eyes a beauty and trademark of a character.

But people are way too focussed (especially the fandumb) on the characters itself. But take away the danmaku and they are nothing any more. Danmaku isn't just bullets being spawned on your screen. This is also one of the reasons why ZUN gave it a name: Spell Cards. (Again this is info from ZUN's afterwords.)

While everybody is free to express their opinion whether you like it or not, but at least have some balls or nerves to state why exactly you dislike it. Saying: FUCK STB SUCKS is just an ignorant line. Just because you think it sucks, doesn't mean the same for everyone else. Subjective remains subjective.

Charismatic serious mode - off.

In before any obvious Date Masamune joke.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
The only real reason to raeg on this announcement would be StB (and Double Spoiler, as stated by ZUN) being much harder than a regular game on normal mode from very early on, so people who usually play on normal or easy mode will have problems getting to enjoy the whole content.

Even then, one would expect a somewhat more enthusiastic approach towards a difficult game from fans of a series of bullet hell shmups. Or maybe that's just me... *shrug*
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
People are not reasonable and they are greedy and spoiled as hell (general form of speech).
This.  Remember, ZUN makes these games for himself.

also um yeah toho is meant to be difficult for most people, including you

Quote from: ZUN on StB
In the end [creating Shoot the Bullet] only took about a month and a half.
...what!?

Cut:
The only real reason to raeg on this announcement would be StB (and Double Spoiler, as stated by ZUN) being much harder than a regular game on normal mode from very early on, so people who usually play on normal or easy mode will have problems getting to enjoy the whole content.
Except if you can't get midway through the game, you likely won't enjoy the rest of the content either~

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Cut:Except if you can't get midway through the game, you likely won't enjoy the rest of the content either~
Precisely what I meant.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Heh. I can't 1CC any of the main games apart from IN on any difficulty higher than Easy, but I still have beaten every single scene in StB up to and including the first two ones in level 8, with everything except for Extra unlocked.

Anyway, I really enjoyed 9.5, so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
Bleh, I was hoping to have something I could say, but well here.

DOUBLE SPOILER
KIEZYAAAAAAAAAAA CMP
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
After looking at the ZUN art and SWR Aya, I'm inclined to say those ears are just messed up perspective. If someone mentioned this already, then ignore this.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
Has anyone figured out that (seriously) complaining about ZUN art is kind of pointless? 
I mean what were you expecting, really :V
(not meant at above poster)

I still have beaten every single scene in StB up to and including the first two ones in level 8, with everything except for Extra unlocked.
If you try to do 8-3 focused the entire time, you will fail.  It's a really neat spell card design once you understand how not to get trapped at the bottom.

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
Let's hope for some good Nue spell card !
(OMG, I can't belive I said that, I know I am not the first to say that put but hell this is the most ridiculous pun ever...however..Minna no peace IT'S ALL RIGHT)
I don't have any problem with StB, it's truly hard for me but getting better is not excluded...Oh...and I see Shou ? Stage 5 bosses heeeee !...OH NO ! NOT MORE ORIN, TRAUMA DRAMA ORIN NOOOOOOO ! Also the art is just...good, yes good...I SAID GOOD !
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:08:29 PM by DgBarca »
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

If you try to do 8-3 focused the entire time, you will fail.  It's a really neat spell card design once you understand how not to get trapped at the bottom.
Just checked, and it would seem like I got my numbers confused; I do have 8-3 captured. I see what you mean, though; from what I remember of that card (haven't played the game in a while, due to various factors; most of them including not having the time to do so) dodging at the bottom is straight-out suicide if you mess up even the slightest, while the almost-safe spot in the middle of the screen is quite a bit more lenient.

8-4, however... How can such a seemingly simple streaming card be so annoying?

Formless God

StB was cool and all. Until those puzzle stages kick in.
Phlogistic Rain Hiwamari Satellite blah blah blah

Still looking forward to this though. Especially when MoF/SWR/SA/UFO's cast is much more interesting (in terms of background and danmaku) than the last five.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
Ok, I'm kind of sad reading some posts in this thread. Saying that this is the worst announcement ever is incredible stupid. Just because you can't beat the 5-x wall doesn't mean that StB is bad, actually it is probably one of the best in the whole series.

Seriously if you only want a Touhou game mainly because of the character and "story" and not because of the danmaku patterns, then you have a problem, since Touhou is all about this. You have 10 days, get a clean StB dat and complete it, you will realize how fun it is. And probably you will appreciate a little how much effort and love ZUN puts into each game.

Good grief. Implying that the primary reason people dislike StB is because they're terrible at the game is ignorant almost beyond belief, and similarly for your (and others') inference that any expressed dissatisfaction with 12.5's announcement is motivated mainly by the absence of new characters and "story".

For my part, I've already summarised some of the reasons for my relative dislike of StB here (and yes, I've beaten all 85 scenes), but to reiterate: speaking as both a dedicated Reimu player and someone who has, since childhood, been used to continually holding down the fire button while playing shmups, I find Aya's movement incredibly counterintuitive. As a consequence, the difficulty of the game's danmaku is artificially increased from my perspective, to the extent that even something reasonably straightforward like Scene 10-8 becomes disproportionately frustrating to beat. In essence, the controls actively discourage me from playing the game, particularly when attempting to return to it after a prolonged break.

On top of this, I dislike the substitution of traditional stages and lives with short bursts of gameplay and no real consequences to mistakes, as it removes any notable sense of excitement or achievement from the game. StB's soundtrack is also recognisably limited compared to other games in the series, and I don't anticipate the sequel being much different in that respect. Lastly, yes, the absence of new characters is a factor, but a minor one compared to the fact that I just don't enjoy the gameplay as much as the regular shooters.

Now, I don't consider StB a bad game per se, it's just bad relative to other Touhou games
Spoiler:
IN MY ENTIRELY AND OBVIOUSLY SUBJECTIVE OPINION
. Hence my disappointment to find that something I was looking forward at Reitaisai (Touhou 13 demo) has been replaced by something that I'm less interested in (Touhou 12.5). Also, while I do appreciate the effort that ZUN puts into his games, I'm not about to feign enthusiasm in one of them because of this.

That said, I'll still play and doubtlessly get some enjoyment from 12.5, and it's possible the controls etc will have been improved this time around. We'll see.

tl;dr - StB is bad for a Touhou game. Don't take internet "WORST _____ EVER" hyperbole seriously.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
I dislike the substitution of traditional stages and lives with short bursts of gameplay and no real consequences to mistakes, as it removes any notable sense of excitement or achievement from the game.

This is weird in conjunction with other complaints I know I've seen about how StB was bad because it was infuriating to be dragged all the way back to the beginning of a spellcard if you lost it right at the very end.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
This is weird in conjunction with other complaints I know I've seen about how StB was bad because it was infuriating to be dragged all the way back to the beginning of a spellcard if you lost it right at the very end.

Different strokes for different folks. And these folks sound like the kind of people who hit the savestate key every 15 seconds when playing games.