Author Topic: Iced Fairy's Random Shorts  (Read 94046 times)

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
Re: Iced Fairy's Random Shorts
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »
Merry Christmas all.  Now go play PoDD and come back.  :P

-------------------------------

Chiyuri stared blankly at the other girl.  ?You can't possibly be serious.  There's no way Yumemi would fall for that.  It's too ridiculous.?

Her Gensoukyo counterpart smirked.  ?Please.  We both know Yumemi's smarter then us, but more observant?  Hardly.  The setup will put her off balance enough that she'll miss the signs.  She gets really overenthusiastic when something catches her fancy.?

Chiyuri sighed remembering the planet destroying bomb bit.  ?Fine.  But why should I do this in the first place??

The other Chiyuri sighed as well.  It was very strange, talking with someone who was for all intents and purposes, herself.  It was like discovering an identical twin, except instead of spending their childhood trying to make themselves different from each other, they'd been shaped by their separate realities to be as similar as possible.

The other woman pushed herself back upright.  ?Look, you like her right??

Chiyuri opened her mouth to deny it, then closed it.  It would be stupid to argue with her.  ?Yeah.  And you like her too.?

The other Chiyuri smiled weakly.  ?Damn straight.  But unfortunately we're idiots who believe in fair play, which means you get the first shot.?

Chiyuri felt her own mouth curling into a frown.  ?You know I don't like being rushed.?

?Rushed??  Her counterpart rolled her eyes.  ?You've had years!  And you know I don't like waiting.?

She had a point, Chiyuri mused.  That was one of the worst parts of arguing with her other self.  Unless she started the argument she usually lost.

Chiyuri threw up her hands.  ?Alright fine.?  Chiyuri slumped back into her chair and looked her counterpart in the eyes.  ?So great magical me, how does this harebrained scheme help either of us?  Why should I pretend to be you on this date, instead of, you know, asking her out as myself??

?Because you worry that Yumemi only sees you as an assistant, and that so long as you're the 'non magical Chiyuri' you'll never match up,? the other Chiyuri said.

Chiyuri thought for a moment.  ?And you're afraid she only sees you as a research specimen and that you'll never match up to the 'real Chiyuri,'? she replied in as even a tone as she could manage.

Her counterpart grimaced, but didn't argue.  ?So now you get it.?

Chiyuri sat and thought.  It still seemed like a stupid idea, but as she went over it in her mind over and over she found herself unsurprisingly agreeing with her counterpart.  It was dangerous but she couldn't think of any other way.  Well she could think of several other ways but she was pretty sure she'd lose her nerve if she tried any of them.

She wasn't sure she wanted to go through with this plan either, but then the other Chiyuri would probably set the plan in motion whether she wanted her to or not.  It was something she would do after all.

?Fine.  I'll do it,? Chiyuri muttered.  ?When does this brilliant plan take place??

?Christmas of course.?

Chiyuri looked at her Gensoukyo counterpart.  ?What?!?

----

Chiyuri tried to focus on the neon lights around her to keep herself from pacing.  The butchered Arabic on the marquees didn't make her feel any less nervous, but it occupied her at least.  Phrases like "Peace be upon all rocks" made her wonder who exactly had done the conversion.  Even internet translators should have been able to get that right.

"Ah, Chiyuri.  Did I keep you waiting?"

Chiyuri felt her heart skitter about as she whirled around.  Yumemi stood out easily from the crowd, even though she wasn't wearing her normal attire.  The older woman had settled for a half mantle over a crimson jacket that went down to her knees, along with some ruby red shoes.  The attire was simple, but far more dressed up then the professor normally wore and better yet, there seemed to be a faint
blush on Yumemi's cheeks.  Chiyuri would have been really happy, if it weren't for the fact that Yumemi'd dressed up for the wrong Chiyuri.

"It's fine.  I just got here," Chiyuri lied.  In truth she'd arrived an hour beforehand.  Both her and her Gensoukyo counterpart had used the excuse of buying Christmas presents to get out of the house and perform the switch before the meeting.  It was hard pulling off stuff like this when all of you lived in the same complex.  "You look nice, Yumemi."

Yumemi's blush became more visible.  "Thanks.  You too, Chiyuri."

Chiyuri smoothed her own long jacket a bit.  "Ahaha, the other Chiyuri let me borrow it."  Or I would have if it wasn't actually me going on the date, Chiyuri thought.

Yumemi laughed lightly.  "Well I'd say she picked well, but you already knew that."  Yumemi stepped towards the main sidewalk, Chiyuri following behind.  "So, um, where did you plan on going?"

"Ah, I've got reservations at a restaurant a couple of blocks down," Chiyuri said, moving to take the lead.   She considered trying to take Yumemi?s hand, but the other woman had her hands clasped together, so Chiyuri dropped the idea.

Instead she tried to focus on the scenery around them.  ?So, um, is it usual for there to be this much snow??

Yumemi seemed to jump at the question.  ?Ah, no.  You wouldn?t know this but the weather people messed up a little this year, so we got more snow then usual.?

Chiyuri looked up at the sky.  ?Huh.  It might be nice to get regular weather, but it still seems weird.  The random snow in Genoukyo feels more right.?

?Maybe.?  Yumemi looked up as well.  ?Still even with all that planning there?s sometimes fortunate little accidents like this.  Though I imagine the street sweepers aren?t pleased.?

?Ahaha, I imagine not.?  Chiyuri smiled.  They chatted a little more about the snow before arriving at the restaurant.  The heating inside quickly banished both the winter chill and their conversation.

The waiter led them to their seats, a small table next to the window.  Chiyuri was kind of glad it wasn?t candlelit.  She was already feeling very weird about this date, she didn?t need to worry that she was overplaying her hand (the other Chiyuri?s hand?) more then she should for a first date.

That was why she was extra nervous as they took off their jackets.  Her white backless dress was a little more risqu? then she would have liked, but everything else she had wasn?t fancy enough.  Maybe she shouldn?t worry though.  Her knotted shirts had started pushing limits now that she?d gotten three years worth of growth in.

Yumemi of course was still in red.  A short sleeved dress with a short skirt, simple, but still capable of showing her figure off.  Chiyuri didn?t think Yumemi owned anything like that.  She preferred business attire when trying to separate grant people from their research money.  Together they had quite the Christmas theme going.

The waiter quickly took their drink orders and vanished into the background.  They sat in silence for a bit, looking over the snow covered sidewalks below.  The silence seemed to form in layers between them, filled with the quiet sounds of the other diners.  Finally Yumemi broke the quiet.  ?So, I? was kind of surprised that you asked me out, Chiyuri.  And, well, kind of surprised my Chiyuri was willing to go along with it.

Chiyuri coughed and drank a little to cool the burning that crept across her cheeks.  ?My Chiyuri? she said?   ?Well we talked it over a bit.  As for me well, I was interested you from the moment we met.  And when I learned how you were working to prove your theories on magic despite how your peers dismissed you out of hand, well??  The two women both blushed and turned to their water glasses.

?I?m happy to hear that.?  Yumemi smiled a little.  ?And I?m happy that I didn?t scare you away with my obsession with work.  I was a little worried you?d see me as using you as a guinea pig or a replacement assistant.?

?Well I have to admit I was a little worried about those things,? Chiyuri replied.  She nervously fiddled with her napkin as she cursed her other self.  She was stuck between seducing Yumemi for someone else or backstabbing the person who helped set this up.  Wonderful.

She started as Yumemi gently placed a hand on hers.  ?I know I?m really bad at expressing myself sometimes.  And my jokes might be a bit off to most people, but I want you to know you?re very important to me Chiyuri.  Not only have you shared your magic with us, but you?ve added a lot to our lives.?  Yumemi?s smile turned down a bit.  ?Part of what you added being a constant fear of the police?.?

Chiyuri winced at that.  ?Er, yeah.  Sorry about that.?  Well it wasn?t her fault, but she understood the sentiment.

Yumemi?s smile flickered back.  ?But more importantly you added a lot of life to the household.  Your unique viewpoint, your carefree attitude, and your cooking.?  Her smile widened.  ?Especially your cooking.  My Chiyuri is okay but her recipes are really limited.?

?Ahaha, it?s nothing,? Chiyuri looked around to try to hide her blush.  Her heart had taken flight again at Yumemi?s words again, even if it was hidden in praise for someone else.  ?Speaking of that I wonder where the food is.?

?I?m sure it?ll be around soon enough,? Yumemi said, squeezing her hand slightly.  ?So, tell me Chiyuri, what were you doing before you decided to stowaway on our ship??

Chiyuri was glad Yumemi was being vague.  Her life was actually pretty close match to her counterparts before the dimension hop.  ?Well, not much, really.  I?d just gotten out of school, er, private tutoring that is, and I really didn?t have any direction.  That?s one of the reasons I jumped at the opportunity.?

Yumemi smiled encouragingly.  ?I see.  Well I?m happy it worked out for you.  After everything calmed down I became a little worried you might find life in a large city not to your liking.?

And now the hard part, acting as if she?d grown up in Gensoukyo.  Fortunately, their food arrived right then, giving her time to think.  Sadly it also meant Yumemi was no longer holding her hand, but she would just have to live with that.

?Well, Gensoukyo village is small, but not that small.  I mean we have room for noble houses??  Chiyuri took a bite of her eel dish in order to try to remember some of the names the other her had mentioned.  ??like the Heida.  And we have several shops and restaurants.  Just nothing like this,? Chiyuri finished with a wave to the city skyline.

?We never really looked over the village,? Yumemi mused for a moment before shaking her head to clear it.  ?But I shouldn?t think shop tonight, right??

?Nope,? Chiyuri replied with a smile of her own.

The two focused on their dinners again, chatting about minor recent events.  Fortunately Yumemi had been working solo recently so neither her nor her counterpart had any idea about recent events in Yumemi?s life.  This switch was actually going well.  Except for the part where Yumemi thought she was seducing the wrong person.

As the meal began to wind down and the dessert forks were being placed down for the last time, Yumemi asked, ?So, you never met a Yumemi in your world??

?No,? Chiyuri shook her head sadly.  ?I?ve never met anyone quite like you, Yumemi.?  She felt heat creeping back into her face but she forced herself to continue.  ?You?re unique.  I?ve never met anyone like you, whether human or youkai.?

Yumemi sipped at her nearly empty glass.  ?Ah.  That?s quite a compliment.  Though maybe you just didn?t meet your world?s Yumemi.?  Yumemi?s eyes grew distant for a moment, then her lips twitched upwards.  ?Well too bad for that Yumemi then!  I?m not giving you back.?

A giggle escaped Chiyuri?s lips.  ?Just don?t threaten to blow up the planet okay??

?Tch.?  Yumemi crossed her arms in a huff.  ?You shouldn?t listen to everything the other Chiyuri tells you.  It was just a joke.  I wasn?t really going to blow up the planet just because I lost to that shrine maiden.?

?So I should ignore her story about the time you dumped the punchbowl on the dean of theology?s head?? Chiyuri asked innocently.  ?Or the time you flew to the Amazon when you heard about a new book of magical rites that no one had seen before??

?Yes!?  Yumemi waved her hands to cut off the questions.  ?She exaggerates all the time.  The curse of having a post doc who knows you too well.?

?Yes??  Chiyuri felt odd as Yumemi?s good cheer turned into a sigh.  ?We?ve known each other a long time.  I guess my Chiyuri was scared off by our professional relationship though.  Or perhaps we?re just too familiar.?

Chiyuri couldn?t take it anymore.  ?You keep saying ?my  Chiyuri???

Yumemi jerked upright, then drooped a bit.  ?Ah sorry, that has to be a little discouraging for you.  But I have to be honest.  I?ve come to rely on this world?s Chiyuri a lot.  I?.?   Yumemi hesitated pursing her lips. 

?Please keep talking!?  Chiyuri?s heart was wobbling all over the place now.  ?I want? I want to know your feelings.  All of them about both of us, not just the ones you think I want to hear.  I need to know!?

Yumemi took a deep breath.  ?You know me Chiyuri, even if you?ve only been with me for three years.  You know I?m not some starry-eyed girl who knows instantly that she?s in love.  But I do know what I want.  And what I want is for both of you to stay by my side not just professionally or personally.?  Yumemi looked away and sighed.  ?I?m, not sure what I?d do if either of you decided to leave.?

Her smile returned a little.  ?I was kind of worried about this date actually, until my, er, this world?s Chiyuri said she was fine with it.  I was afraid that choosing one of you might drive the other away.  And after all it?s Christmas.  The day you?re supposed to spend with the one you love.?

Chiyuri sat there in shock.  This was all going wrong, but Yumemi kept barreling ahead.  ?As for romance, well, I find you attractive.  And while it would be wrong to abuse my position as a researcher here, I think that we?re past that stage in the relationship.?  Yumemi blushed a little and fiddled with the silverware.  ?So, I?m very willing to? research? a more intimate relationship.?

It was too much for her brain.  Chiyuri put her face in her hands as she blushed wildly.  ?Only you could make that cheesy line sound halfway seductive professor.?

?Professor?!!?  Chiyuri froze.  She felt Yumemi?s hand cup her chin, and her face was slowly forced up to meet the older woman?s steely gaze.  ?Chiyuri.  Explain.  Now.?

?Ah, I must have picked it up from??  Chiyuri?s explanation was cut off by Yumemi shaking her head.  ?That?s not gonna work, is it??

?Explain.?

Chiyuri considered her options.  She didn?t have her laser pistol, lies were probably not going to cut it, the chance of a distracting explosion were minimal, so her best option seemed to be to tell the whole truth as if it made sense.

?So we both like you, and we were both worried about you just thinking of us as friends, so we planned this switch so we could muster up the courage to figure out which one of us you liked, and well it worked.  Kinda.?  Chiyuri tried to smile to make the story sound a little less stupid.

Yumemi?s head fell to the table with a thud.  ?I don?t know who?s dumber.  You for thinking up this ridiculous childish nonsense or me for falling for it!?

Chiyuri gulped.  ?Well, I meant everything I said.  It?s just sometimes I was speaking for the other Chiyuri.?

Yumemi looked up, and for the first time in a long while Chiyuri couldn?t tell what mood the woman was in.  ?You have a way of contacting her right??

Chiyuri nodded and tapped a button.  ?Subvocal mike and ear bud if you asked any questions about specifics.  I just turned it on, so she can hear us now.?

?Wait, what?!? her alternate cried out.  ?How much does she know?!?

Yumemi glared right at the button.  ?Alright you.  This Chiyuri is going to take me to see you.  And then you?re both going to spill your stories again.  And then we are going to have a long long talk.  I hope you picked a place where we can have a long talk, or am I dragging you two home first??

Chiyuri blushed a bit.  ?She?s at an arcade next to a hotel.?

?You know what kind of hotel that is,? hissed her Gensoukyo counterpart.

Yumemi blushed but her expression didn?t change.  ?I see.  She felt confident did she?  Well tell her to get a full night, because you two have a lot of explaining to do.?

Yumemi stood and reached down to pull Chiyuri up before lightly gripping her hand.  ?And then I?m going to explain that you two are both my Chiyuris and nothing is going to change that.  Not even if some other world?s Yumemi comes for one of you.?

Chiyuri felt like her face was on fire, but she happily followed her love out of the restaurant.  She had no idea how she was going to get along with her other self, but she was willing to make an effort for Yumemi.

And if she had to share her love sharing with herself really wasn?t so bad.

Still she should take some precautions.  She coughed lightly to get her counterpart?s attention then subvocalized, ?Get the room for the night.?

?And make sure there?s a folding chair in it, in case Yumemi decides she needs more of us.?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 04:18:22 PM by Iced Fairy »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2011, 03:46:09 AM »
Some of the lines near the beginning of the story have weird indentations (maybe because of Windows 2000?) Might want to fix those.

So, does hitting a Chiyuri with a folding chair cause it to multiply?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2011, 04:33:29 PM »
Some of the lines near the beginning of the story have weird indentations (maybe because of Windows 2000?) Might want to fix those.
It's the curse of writing on three different machines with three different editors.  Something will go wrong.

So, does hitting a Chiyuri with a folding chair cause it to multiply?
No but hitting a Yumemi with a folding chair convinces her that kidnapping more Chiyuri's from alternate dimensions should take backseat to the Chiyuris she has now.  :V
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 04:52:24 PM by Iced Fairy »

« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »
kidnapping more Chiyuri's from alternate dimensions

That really should be one of those terrible harem comedy animes.
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »
No but hitting a Yumemi with a folding chair convinces her that kidnapping more Chiyuri's from alternate dimensions should take backseat to the Chiyuris she has now.  :V
Oh, and here I was thinking that Chiyuris were like Mogwai, except with folding chairs instead of water.

This was a fun Christmas read. :)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2011, 01:06:30 AM »
Hee hee, nice little read. I wouldn't have thought Yumemi would be so forward in a relationship...
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2011, 07:33:47 AM »
Thanks. I needed that giggle. :3

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »
Marin hated the cold.

The darkness was bad, but she'd gotten used to the darkness.  There really wasn't much around her to see anyway.  It would be nice to have light, but she could find her way around by keeping a hand on the wall and moving slowly.

The cold however didn't fade away.  It didn't even settle into a single form of misery.  Sometimes it was damp and cold.  Other times it was just freezing.  Usually it was both on different parts of her body.  It changed as she moved through the cave complex.  Part of her body would dry, and then she'd step in a pool or water would drop on her from above.

But the worst was when she had to collapse and rest.  Half her body froze against the rocks, while the other was chilled by the cavern's air.  The only reason she was able to sleep at all was pure exhaustion.  Soon her body would recover enough to start complaining again, and she'd awaken, still tired, hungry and sore.  And cold.  Always cold.

She didn't know how long it had been since she'd fallen into the caves.  She knew it had been at least three days, because she'd had to go find water.  That was the only reason she'd left the site of the cave in.  She knew that moving would make it harder for her family to find her, but it wouldn't help if she died before they could get to her.  So she'd started walking.  And once she'd found water she'd been so lost she just kept walking.  Walking and searching for a way out.

She knew her family had to be worried sick about her.  And it was all her fault too.  They'd told her not to go playing around the base of youkai mountain, but she didn't listen.  She'd wandered off to go catch fish, and fallen into a sinkhole for her pains.

Fish.  What she would do for a nice fish now.  Her stomach had been empty for so long it felt like it had shriveled up.

Marin focused on the hunger.  It was better then remembering how much she missed her family.

She choked back a sob and kept moving.  Step after step in the darkness and the cold.

Finally her legs couldn't hold out anymore.  She allowed herself to collapse to the freezing hard ground.  She wanted to pull herself upright, to sit, but she knew by now it would only make it harder to get up later.  Especially since the flickering in her eyes told her she was probably going to fall asleep soon.

Then Marin heard the voice.

It had to have been a voice.  Water didn't sound like that, right?  Her mind frantically tried to force itself awake despite the crushing fatigue.  She stared ahead and tried to hone all her senses, and she heard, ever so faintly, someone saying ?...all the time.?

She had heard a voice!  And the flickering was real.  There was light!  Firelight!

Marin tried to stand but her legs gave out.  She whimpered as she hit the floor again, then she started to crawl.  It hurt, but the light was growing brighter.  The cold was fading!

She half crawled half collapsed around the tunnel's final bend.  Light stabbed into her eyes from all over, blinding her with their power.  She heard a gasp from the voice, the wonderful voice.

And then her body could no longer take it and she collapsed into unconsciousness.

----

Marin felt strange as she awoke.  Her body was sore, but less then normal.  Her eyes were filled with more light than the fading lights of dreams.

And she was warm.

She slowly opened her eyes to find herself on a futon.  She had to blink a few times to adjust her eyes to the light, but as her vision began to return she saw she was in a shack, with a warm fire blazing away in the center.

"Oh, you're awake."

Marin groggily turned towards the voice.  A short woman Marin didn't recognize was staring down at her with an inquisitive expression.  Her clothes were a little weird, and her hair was blond, but she might be an outsider.  An outsider with... pointed ears?

The woman must have seen Marin's reasoning before her addled mind could put it all together.  "Oh.  Huh.  Yes I am a youkai, but no I'm not going to eat someone like you.  I'm not the that kind of youkai."

Marin thought she heard some bitterness in the woman's voice, but she wasn't thinking well.  She did believe the youkai's explanation though.  After all, why would a youkai nurse her back to health if it was going to eat her?

"Can you sit up?" the youkai asked.  "I have some soup if you can eat."

"I...  I think I can eat," Marin said.  There was a wave of dizziness as she sat up but she forced herself to stay upright.

"Hmph." The youkai woman gave her another once over, then sighed and grabbed a bowl from the table.  "I don't think you should be eating anything solid just yet.  And I don't have anything that goes with soup anyway, so you'll just have to make do."

Marin didn't care about the extras.  It was food.  She grabbed the bowl and spoon the woman offered and immediately dug in.  It didn't have much of a smell and whatever was in it was mostly covered up by miso, but after so long without it was wonderful.  The warmth of the soup spread through her body, taking away some of her pains and making her feel light and airy.

She'd made it through half the bowl before she remembered the youkai woman was staring at her.  She gulped down another mouthful and said, "Thank you very much miss...?"

"Parsee.  Mizuhashi Parsee," the woman said flatly.  "And you are?"

"My name is Marin, of Gensoukyo village," Marin replied.

Parsee raised an eyebrow for a moment, then she frowned.  "So you're that old?" she muttered to herself.  Then the woman shrugged and gazed down at the bowl of soup.  "Well, it looks like you're enjoying the food."

Marin swallowed uneasily.  Had she done something wrong?  "Um, yes.  It's good.  I forgot when the last time I ate was."

Parsee sniffed dismissively and looked away for a moment.  But her disinterested look returned quickly.  "Well you should finish it, then get back to sleep.  You don't want to strain your body."

Marin opened her mouth to protest, but she had to admit she did feel weaker then normal.  Instead she asked, "Um, so, can you get word back to the village that I'm alright?  My family is probably really really worried about me, and I don't want to cause them any more trouble."

Parsee looked blankly at her for a moment, before returning to a sour frown.  "It seems you and your family are really close, aren't you?"  Before she could reply the youkai's expression softened.  "Well, your family will know where you are.  I promise."

"Thank you again Miss Mizuhashi."  Marin finished the soup then laid down as Parsee took the bowl.  "You seem like a really good youkai."

Parsee looked surprised again, then muttered something.  But Marin couldn't hear the words as her strength left her.

-------

When Marin awoke again, the shack was empty.

The realization hit her like a bucket of ice water.  She immediately sat up, her fatigue mostly gone.  She looked around, but Parsee was nowhere to be seen.  There was nothing but the slowly cooling embers of the fire.

Maybe the youkai woman had only gone outside for a bit?  Marin immediately hopped off the bed and headed out the door.  She didn't want to be alone right now.

The chilly air of the outside hit her as she opened the door of the shack.  Marin gaped at the panorama that opened before her.

She was in a massive cave.  Scattered ghost fires brought light to the area, but the ceiling was still shrouded in darkness.  Water pools were scattered about, and there was a small stream running under a massive bridge that was in horrible repair.

Beneath that bridge a solitary figure sat looking up at the ruin.

Marin felt a little weak from relief as she moved towards the figure.  Sure enough it turned out to be Parsee, staring up at the bridge with her usual annoyed expression.  Still, no matter how strange the youkai woman was, it was better then being alone again.

"Hello Miss Parsee!" she called out as she approached.

Parsee looked up at her, then quickly turned away.  "Hello."

Marin blinked at the dismissal but carried on.  "Um, so did you speak with my family?  Are they doing well?"

Parsee heaved out a huge sigh.  After a moment she said, "They know where you are."  Parsee looked up at the bridge for a bit before continuing.  "I'll tell you everything after you wash up.  You can use the stream.  It's clean."

"Uh, okay."  She probably did need to clean herself off a bit.  She had to be pretty grimy from wandering around the caves.  She walked over to the stream and splashed some of the water on her face, shivering at how cold it was.

She rubbed her face vigerously to get the dirt off, then tried to get a reflection in the stream to see any spots she'd missed.  She frowned when she saw the state of her hair.  Then she froze.

Where her eyes were supposed to be there were only two dark holes.

Marin screamed and pushed herself away from the stream.  She scrambled backwards frantically until she hit Parsee then turned and clung to the woman's leg.  "Y-youkai!  There's a youkai in the water with my face!"

Parsee simply sighed and rested a hand on her head.  "It must be nice to be that blissfully ignorant."  Marin looked up at her in confusion.

Parsee sighed again, then bit her lip for a few moments.  "Marin, the youkai you saw in the water was you."

Marin blinked at the woman.  "W~what?  You mean, it's some trick of the water?"

"No," Parsee said finally looking her straight in the eyes.  "You are a youkai.  You fell in that sinkhole over two hundred years ago.  You died in these caves and were reborn as a youkai, like me."

Marin began to shiver.  Two hundred years?  She had been a youkai for two hundred years?  "No.  No it can't be!"  She pushed herself away from Parsee.  "You're lying!  You're trying to trick me!  I'm going to go home to mommy and daddy and big brother and big sister and you aren't going to stop me!"

Parsee gave a surprised cry as Marin hopped up and dashed away.  She splashed through the chill stream, past the old rotting bridge pillars, towards the cavern walls.

She expected Parsee to chase after her, but there was no sound from behind her.  Apparently the youkai didn't care enough to chase after her.  Fine!

As she got closer to the cliffs she began to slow.  Not just because she was out of breath, but because she couldn't see a good way up.  It wasn't sheer rock, but Marin had no skill climbing.  Maybe there was an easier way up.  A trail perhaps?  She began looking around.

She'd been looking for a good three minutes without success when a low rumble echoed out from behind her.  Marin jumped and whirled.

There, hanging from the ceiling, was a massive spider twice her size.

Marin screamed.  She turned to run only to find herself facing the cliff side.  The was no escape.

There was a massive crash as the spider dropped to the ground.  Marin sank to the floor whimpering, trying to sink into the earth itself.  The spider waved its horrific legs and mandibles with a roar that sounded like a rockslide.  Marin's blood turned to ice.  She was going to die alone here.

"She can't understand you Yamame.  She still thinks she's human."

Parsee floated down from the sky next to the giant spider.  The spider turned towards her, curled up into a ball.  And then suddenly there was a girl in a puffy dress standing there.  "Oh really?  My bad.  I didn't realize they were still tossing youkai down here."  The girl looked towards her and waved.  "Sorry about the scare.  I didn't know you couldn't speak to transformed youkai."  Marin just stared in shock.

Yamame gave a weak chuckle and took a step back.  "Well I was gonna offer you a lift up if you couldn't fly, but I don't think you'd be up for it today."  Marin shook her head weakly.  She didn't understand anything anymore.

Parsee glared at the transformed girl.  "Probably for the best you didn't.  She's a loneliness youkai."

"Oh, really?"  Yamame turned towards Marin with a look of regret.  "Well, you'll learn to fly soon enough I guess.  And if you want to talk you can come find me."  The girl smiled again.  "Anyway good to meet you.  And good seeing you again Parsee.  Later!"

Yamame rose into the air gracefully, then sped off over the lip of the cliff.  Parsee gave the earth spider one final disdainful glance, then walked over to Marin and silently held out her hand.

After a few minutes Marin shakily took Parsee's hand and let the woman pull her to her feet.  Parsee turned and began walking back towards where she'd been sitting before.

Marin followed.  Where else could she go?

After a bit Parsee began speaking.  "That was an earth spider.  I've told her before she should stick to her human form, but she still insists on using her real form in the deeper caves."  Parsee started chewing on her thumb.  "It's annoying.  She has a human form that's cuter then mine and she doesn't even use it."

"And of course she's the one who gets to swing around wherever she wants.  She can just wander off to the ancient city and party with the oni, or even wander around the surface.  It must be nice," the woman snarled.

They walked in silence for a little more before Marin finally got enough together to ask, "So... what am I?"

Parsee seemed to twitch slightly.  Then she replied, "You're a youkai formed from loneliness.  Your existence is tied to your desire to escape the caves and return home."

To a home that didn't exist.

"So, um, Miss Mizuhashi, what are you?" Marin asked meekly.

Parsee stopped for a moment.  "I'm a Hashihime.  Or something like that."  Parsee started walking back towards the spot where she looked at the bridge.  "I feed off jealousy."

Marin nodded slowly.  That explained a lot of things.

The two walked back to Parsee's spot and sat down in silence.  After a few minutes Marin went back to the cold stream and finished washing her face.  Then she returned to sit by Parsee's side.

Finally Parsee spoke up.  "You'd do better back at the house.  And I bet it's warmer there."

Marin shook her head.  "I want to stay here."

"Tch."  Parsee looked away.  "You know if you hang around people you'll never get your full power."

"I don't want power," Marin replied.  She hugged her knees.

"Well whatever."  Parsee sighed.  "You can hang around if you want.  Just don't expect me to look after you.  I've got a bridge to watch over."

They sat in silence for a bit longer before Marin asked, "Do you enjoy that?"

Parsee shook her head.  "I hate it.  But it's what I am."

Marin looked down at her feet.  What Parsee was....

What she was...

What was she?  A youkai, forgotten in the past.  Not even a proper ghost.

She wanted to eat her mother's food again.  The dishes that were always just a little too spicy for her.  She wanted to feel her father's rough stubble as he hugged her again.  She wanted to hear her sister complaining that she'd stolen the last mochi cake.  She wanted to hear her brother whining about girls again.

She realized she was sobbing, her lungs hiccuping and gasping.  She wiped her eyes and tears black as tar smeared over her hands.

A handkerchief was pressed into her hands and she used it to wipe away the tears and blow her nose.  When the tears subsided she found the cloth peice had been irreparably stained.  "Sorry I ruined your handkerchief."

"It's fine," Parsee said.  The two were silent again for a moment.  "You must have really been close with your family.  You were really lucky."

Parsee stiffened as Marin moved over and hugged the woman.  "Thank you Parsee."

"You know you're going to get weak if you hang off me too much," Parsee snapped.  But she didn't push Marin away.

Marin felt a little weaker but she didn't care.  She nuzzled closer to Parsee.  The woman's words were cold, but Marin felt so warm beside her.  "You've been trying to drive me away for my sake haven't you Miss Mizuhashi?"

"Hmph!"  Marin giggled as the woman flushed and looked away.  "I don't exactly enjoy company either you know.  It's much better to be jealous just at people."

Marin just closed her eyes and curled up on Parsee's lap.  She was feeling tired again, with all the heat around her.  It wasn't the same warmth as her family, but it was pleasant all the same.

She gave in to her feelings and went to sleep in Parsee's warm embrace.

----

Parsee watched the young girl's form slowly fade away as the youkai's existence dissipated.  In the end all that remained was a small skull, the focus the creature had built herself around.

She picked up the skull and looked into the eye sockets.  She'd warned the girl repeatedly, but it had come to nothing.  Still the girl had made her choice willingly.

And Marin had seemed so happy.

Parsee hugged the skull to her chest.  She smiled, the first real smile that had crossed her face in a long time.  "I think I'm a little jealous."

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
This is heartwarming and sad at the same time. Good work and I hope wherever Marin is now she is happy.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »
The riotous sounds of a full Prismriver Concerto was blaring out from beneath the paper lanterns.  Dinner was over, the snacks were out and youkai and humans alike were starting some serious drinking.  Which is why Sanae was in hiding.

She'd come to love Gensoukyo since her tumultuous arrival here.  She loved the people, the magic and even the parties.  But there was one thing she'd never gotten used to: the drinking.  She just didn't have the tolerance.  Reimu and Marisa had started on sake when they were in their early teens.  Meanwhile Sanae had just barely broken drinking age.  And the youkai drank a lot.  Simply put if she didn't hide for an hour when the drinking started some tengu or kappa would grab her by the arm and drag her over to a group and within half an hour the trees would be spinning and she'd wake up tomorrow with a hangover.  It wasn't her idea of fun.

"You really do need to work on your alcohol tolerance, Sanae." Sanae cringed as Kanako's voice came from the shadows behind her.  "Our followers will think less of us if you have to hide in the middle of every festival."

Caught, she turned to face her goddess.  "There's got to be a better way to gain tolerance thn me just throwing back drinks until I pass out Lady Kanako.  Is there a miracle for not getting drunk or something?"

Kanako chuckled as she steped out of her hiding place.  "There is, but we won't be needing it tonight.  You see, the newcomers have started up a drinking contest.  I think you'll enjoy that more than hiding in the bushes."

"A drinking contest?" Sanae's heart dropped out from under her.  "I won't last ten minutes in a drinking contest with youkai!"

"Have some faith, Sanae."  Kanako took her by the arm and Sanae followed along.  "This isn't a plebeian contest, designed to get everyone drunk.  This is a court contest.  And most of the players were human, at one point."

"A court contest?" Sanae's worries were replaced by confusion.  "They had drinking contests in court?"

"Of course," Kanako's smirk grew. "It was an important contest to test the wits of the courtiers, and to try to ferret out who wanted to sleep with you."

Sanae blinked at that.  "Wait what?"

"You'll figure it out as you go along.  The people who go first will show you how it's done."  Kanako led Sanae around the back of the shrine, where the noises from the big party out front were muffled.  A single slow moving stream cut through the grounds, leading to the turtle pond.  Next to the stream were several ladies.  Suwako she recognized at once, as well as Miko, Futo, and Tojiko from the recent incident.  The Lunarians, Kaguya, Eirin, and Reisen, she knew more from their reputation.  The group looked up at their approach and Sanae couldn't help feeling a little out of place, despite the smiles.  Right here and now she couldn't help noticing she was one of the two people here who wasn't actual nobility.

"We're glad you two could join us," Kaguya said.  "I think we still need a few more, however."

"They should be along shortly," Kanako said.  "After all what tengu could miss figuring out the story behind the Goddess and her High Priestess sneaking behind the shrine."

There was a muttered curse, then Hatate, Aya and Momiji stepped out from behind the trees.  "Looks like we've been caught."

"I just wanted to speak with Sanae," Momiji stated simply.  "Though this looks like an interesting setup.  If you want me to join..."

"We could use some more members yes, especially since we have to alter the rules a little to suit our current environs."  Miko said.  "Of course I should warn you, this game is somewhat... flirtatious.  Some things should be left out of the papers."

Momiji raised an eyebrow, then shrugged.  "I would be honored to join."  Sanae had to admit she felt better when the wolf tengu moved to join the group.  Momiji seemed down to earth.  She didn't think anything too weird could happen while the wolf tengu was standing guard.

Aya looked over the group then sighed and shook her head.  "No interest.  I'm here for the drinking and a story, and those little cups you've got sitting there don't seem like fun.  I'll pass."  The reporter took off and headed back towards what Sanae guessed was Komachi and Suika's drinking contest.

"Um..."  Hatate flipped her cellphone open and closed for a bit, then blushed and turned it off.  "I'll play, if you'll let me join."

"That's the spirit," Suwako said.  Then she frowned.  "Still we should get a few more people."

"I could get some of the rabbits maybe," Reisen asked nervously.

"They wouldn't be able to keep up with the contest," Eirin replied.  "I trust you can as an emissary, and I bet Tewi could if she tried.  But the rest of the rabbits would flub the poetry."

Momiji's ears twitched.  "Well three more people are coming back here.  Perhaps some of them will work?"

The smiles on Eintei's contingent faded when Keine and Mokou stepped around the temple.  Even Youmu's appearance from the other side didn't seem to warm their expressions.  However the newcomers didn't seem to notice it.  "Ah, Fujiwara no Mokou, did you spend enough time in the court to learn this fine game?" Futo asked.

"I did," Mokou replied dryly.

Sanae saw something flash in Keine's eyes.  Then the schoolteacher gave a dangerous smile.  "Ah, I've heard of this!  It would be fun to try wouldn't it?"

"Feel free to join us." Kaguya and Mokou both started as Eirin accepted Keine's request.  "Though this does make our groups somewhat imbalanced if I guess right."

"Perhaps you would want to join, lady samurai," Tojiko said, turning to Youmu.

The half ghost looked surprised then nodded.  "I suppose I could play."

Mokou brow furrowed, then she sighed.  "I suppose I should join too then.  You need an anchor after all."

"Do you think you're up for that?" Kaguya asked.  Her tone lacked her usual sweetness, but there wasn't any bite to the words either.

"My family was obsessed with calligraphy in addition to being the shadow government.  I know poetry," Mokou replied.

Kaguya nodded.  "Well then, we have a full group.  Shall we be seated?"

Sanae looked around for guidance as the older members moved towards the stream.  Mokou sat down right in front of the pond, while Kaguya and Suwako sat at the far end, where the stream broke the tree line.  Kanako and Miko moved to the middle, sitting right after a point where the waters pooled and slowed.  Eirin sat slightly further downstream from Miko, while Tojiko and Futo positioned themselves across from each other slightly downstream of Kaguya.

Sanae stood there in confusion for a bit more before Suwako waved her over.  She hesitantly moved over then sat a little further down the stream as the two noblewomen.  Apparently she'd gotten that right because no one moved to correct her.

She started to get a feel for the seating order when Keine took her seat a little downstream of her, Reisen sat next to Keine, and Youmu moved to sit downstream of Eirin.  This probably was based on some kind of hierarchy.  As Hatate and Momiji moved to take seats just upstream of Kanako and Mokou respectively Sanae guessed she'd gotten it right.  The only person who might be considered out of place was Mokou, as even a concubine's daughter had to rate higher than a patrol Tengu.  But maybe Mokou's position had some significance.

When they were all seated Kaguya waved her hand and a couple of rabbits hopped into the clearing carrying boxes.  Starting with Kaguya they quickly distributed little boats, sake cups and six sake bottles to each person going down the line, stopping at Hatate.  Eirin gave a light cough and said, "I had the rabbits spike the sake with certain other chemicals, so the tengu, deities and ghosts should be affected equally.  After all it's no fun if only the humans are tipsy."

"Indeed."  Kanako nodded.  "And I assume we're ignoring the more restrictive rules for the poems?"

"If it pleases you," Futo said.  "We are still a little behind the times.  It would be foolish if we started getting our epochs more confused than they already are."

"That sounds good," Kaguya agreed.  "Then with that shall we begin?"

Silence fell across the group.  Sanae fidgeted nervously as she waited for, well whatever was going to happen.  She saw Hatate flexing her hands nervously as well, and the two shared a bit of a smile.  Camaraderie in nervousness.

The 'clink' of porcelain drew Sanae's attention up towards where Suwako was sitting.  The goddess had filled a cup with wine.  She then drank from the cup, and placed it on a boat.  "Wind stirs the branches, the frogs wake from their slumber, a new game begins."  With that haiku, she sent the boat down the stream.

Sanae watched the boat as it gently drifted down.  The water was calm and slow, but the boat still moved at a fair pace.  As it passed her she saw that the cup was still half full of sake.  It passed by Reisen, Keine and Hatate, then hit the widened pool and slowed a bit before gliding in front of Kanako.

The Goddess reached out and grabbed the the boat.  "Frog croaks fill the warm moist air, the snake rises to dance again."  She turned the cup 180 degrees, then drank the rest of the sake, before putting the boat down to her side.

There was a clink from the far end as Kaguya filled her cup, then drank.  "The moon shines alone, through the thicket of bamboo, crickets chirp sadly."  As the princess sent her boat downstream Sanae noticed all the more experienced people turned to look at where Miko and Kanako were sitting.  Now that she thought about it, none of the people past Hatate had access to any sake....

Her suspicions were confirmed when Eirin picked up the boat.  "The moon shuns the earth's lush life, so they mourn the moon's lost joy."  The Lunarian twisted the cup, then finished off the contents.

Sanae started to feel more confident as Futo poured and drank.  "The nightingale sings, an auspicious star rises, but the quiet world sleeps."  Miko caught this one, saying "Sunrise the star fades away, but it remembers rising," before turning the cup and drinking from it.

Tojiko's movements were the quietest of the four, as befitted her ghostly nature.  She filled the cup, drank from it and said, "The mists burn away , to greet the morning sun's light, petals now unfold."  She smiled as she set the cup down on the boat.

It drifted down, past Kanako, then Miko picked it up.  "The hummingbird flies quickly, to kiss them before they fade."  This time Miko carefully picked up the cup and drank from it without turning it, before setting it down.  'Indirect kiss!' squealed the part of Sanae's mind that hadn't quite gotten out of highschool yet.  Sanae was about to toss that idea aside when she saw the looks on the faces of the two.  It had been an indirect kiss!  And an intentional one at that.

Sanae blushed.  So that's what they had meant by flirting.  And it was her turn too!  Did she want to offer one of the women downstream an indirect kiss?  How would it feel if they didn't consider her a woman they were interested in?  She forced herself to try to focus as she poured the liquid.  This was just the first round.  She'd play it normally while she tried to figure out what she was doing.

When the cup was full she took a slight sip.  The fumes quickly filled her mouth and almost choked her.  This was a very strong sake.  She quickly swallowed the bitter drink and tried to pull together the haiku she'd been thinking of.  "Maple leaves change shade, falling spinning and dancing, one last flight of life."  She forced her hands to stop shaking, then carefully placed the cup on the boat and sent it down stream.

Her heart seemed to be racing as she watched the little boat's progress.  She barely noticed as it passed Kanako, but the little butterfly of fear in her stomach grew as it passed by Miko and Eirin without either moving from their seats.  It was stupid, but she didn't want a pity poem for her first try.  She forced herself to remain outwardly calm when Youmu hesitantly moved to pick up the boat, but the half ghost remained seated when the crisp rustling of cloth broke the silence.

Momiji gracefully picked up the boat and recited, "The maple stands in silence, awaiting the new leaves' dance."  Then she turned the cup a quarter turn and drank.  Sanae felt heat rising to her cheeks.  Did Momiji just sense Sanae's nervousness?  Or maybe the wolf tengu didn't know if Sanae was flirting?  Did Sanae want to flirt with Momiji.  Or rather, how much did she want to flirt with the wolf tengu?

Sanae tried to compose herself by watching Keine's first play.  The Hakutaku filled her cup and drank from it.  "The plum blossoms fall, The screen door silently shuts, a homecoming meal."  She then sent the boat downstream with a smile.  This time Sanae noticed the small interplays between the people downstream.  It was harder to read Eirin, Miko and Kanako, but she did notice Kanako and Miko didn't look around at all, as if they expected other people to handle it.  Eirin's eyes flickered backwards, but only for a second.  Momiji and Youmu were a little more obvious in their movements, and for some reason Mokou wasn't looking at the boat at all.

The little craft sailed past the first three when Youmu picked it up.  "A final evening chat, the day comes to its ending."  She gave it a full turn, then drank.  Keine's smile didn't falter though.

Reisen was next.  The moon rabbit's ears twitched as she filled the cup.  She closed her eyes for a moment then said, "Rain hides the sun's gaze.  The candles are burning low.  A mournful lullaby."

The boat left her hands and floated down the stream slowly.  It passed Kanako and Miko, but Eirin caught it.  "It rains in my dreams as well, two beneath the umbrella."  Reisen's ears twitched again as Eirin twisted it a quarter turn, then drank.

Hatate shuffled nervously as all eyes turned to her.  Sanae noticed the crow tengu's wings were showing.  Perhaps Hatate's nervousness was throwing her shapeshifting prowess off?  The tengu poured perhaps a bit too quickly before taking a quick swig of the contents.  But her voice was strong as she sent the boat on down the water.  "The wind rushes through, but it speaks to no one , the sky is empty."

The boat started its journey, lingering a while in the pond before passing Kanako.  Then to Sanae's surprise Miko reached out and grabbed it.  The prince smiled and said, "Mountains sit before the wind, guiding before it flies on."  Hatate blushed furiously as Miko twisted the cup only a fraction before drinking.  Sanae felt a little jealous.  Sure Miko was a little strange, but she had been a 'prince' and a famous one at that.  No wonder even a tengu would get a little flustered.

Now that Sanae thought about it, it wouldn't feel good to know only one person was interested in you.  Even if you had your eyes set on them.  Mokou probably wasn't supposed to get any boats the first round.  But there were six bottles of sake for each presenter.  The game was obviously going to last a long while.

This round Suwako's cup was caught by Eirin, and Miko picked up Kaguya's.  Both turned the cups, though Miko only turned her's a quarter turn.  When Kanako caught Futo's boat Sanae realized none of the people had picked up the same persons boat.  This too must be part of the rules.  Sanae felt that there was even more beneath the surface that she didn't get, but that was becoming part of the appeal.

Mokou got her first cup from a boat by Tojiko.  It was Sanae's turn again.  And she hadn't thought up a haiku yet!  She blinked, then did her best to patch together a poem using verses from her school days while she poured the sake.  ?Butterflies break free, dancing about the flowers, no thought of the past.?  She set the boat downstream, hoping no one caught how hastily she'd constructed the verse.

Strangely enough only Suwako seemed to notice, and she just smiled a little wider.  Everyone except Hatate seemed to looking at Youmu, with varying degrees of subtlety.  Hatate was just as confused as Sanae was.

Sure enough Youmu caught the boat.  ?Butterflies fall one by one, wings float to the netherworld.?  Youmu looked up at Sanae sizing her up for a few moments, then turned the boat just a little over a quarter turn, and drank.

Keine's boat was picked up by Mokou, the immortal hesitating a moment before drinking without turning the cup.  When everyone turned to Youmu again after Reisen referenced swords, Sanae figured the other part of it out.  The poems themselves were code as well.  Hatate glanced her way and the two shared a tiny nod.  The tengu girl put their guess into practice by incorporating tengu into her poem.  Sure enough Momiji picked up the boat, and after a few lines about perception, did a quarter turn and a drink.  Sanae frowned a little at that.  Still Hatate had confirmed their suspicions.  She should find a good word for her next haiku.  Maybe 'shield'...

As the rounds began to pass Sanae found herself enjoying the challenge.  Playing these subtle games on a regular basis seemed like it would be maddening, but right now untangle the web of actual flirting from jokes and politeness.  Momiji had started drinking her cups without the turn,  which was both embarrassing and cute.  Kanako had shared an indirect kiss with Suwako, much to Sanae's shock.  And Mokou had gotten Kaguya to sputter briefly by pretending to take one of the princesses' poems as a proposition, to the amusement of both Eirin and Keine.  The game was so engrossing that Sanae's was surprised when her first bottle ran empty.  Apparently the rounds moved quicker then they seemed.  It was a good thing they were using such small containers Sanae thought as she picked up the second bottle to finish filling the cup.

When the second bottle started getting empty Sanae was feeling a little light headed.  It wasn't the sickening dizziness she'd suffered through while drinking before, which was nice, but she made a mental note to moderate how much she was drinking out of the cup before sending it downstream. 

"A hint," Sanae started at the soft voice beside her.  She turned to see Tojiko giving her a wink.  "If someone catches half of your boats, that means they want to meet you afterwards."

Sanae felt heat blaze across her cheeks when she realized she'd sent exactly half of her cups so far to Momiji.  Did the wolf tengu know?  No, there was no way.  Sanae shook her head.  But Kanako and Suwako had to know.  Sanae looked over at the two Godesses while Tojiko giggled quietly.  Kanako just nodded, as if the older goddess hadn't noticed anything.  Suwako on the other hand gave her a wink and a smile.  Sanae quickly turned to look at the ground.  At least nothing there would embarrass her.

When she'd recovered a bit of her composure, Sanae started considering what the other people had been doing.  Hatate had sent about half of her cups towards Miko, but the lady prince had let some of them slip past.  The tengu girl had split the rest between Momiji and Youmu with a few exceptions.  Reisen was more varied, with about a third to Eirin, a third to Youmu and a third to everyone else.  Keine had sent almost half of hers to Mokou, and Sanae made a note to see how the immortal would handle it if that number went up.  Tojiko... Sanae blinked and counted it out again before turning to the ghost and whispering, "You've sent half of yours to Miko!"

Tojiko smirked at her.  "I didn't become her concubine just for show," the ghost whispered.

Sanae turned her attention back towards the boats to keep from burning up with embarrassment.  Thinking on it further Futo had almost sent half of her boats to Miko as well.  Suwako and Kaguya had both spread their poems out more, though Kaguya was favoring Eirin.

Once again Sanae wished she was sitting next to Hatate.  While the tengu would never admit it they were the closest in age.  Well, relative age.  She looked over at the tengu and saw Hatate glancing back.  They shared a shrug.  She'd have to speak to the other tengu after the game.  Sanae looked down and saw Momiji looking back towards her.  Both of the other tengu, Sanae amended.

Around the fourth bottle Sanae was floating happily in her brain, and giggling at the stupidest things.  But it didn't matter because it was fun right?  Everyone was just having fun, laughing at their mistakes and showing off when they could.  Futo and Tojiko had sent boats down at the same time, with Miko using her powers to answer both poems at once.  Kaguya and Eirin had spoken with words that had seemed to pierce the soul and brought tears to everyone's eyes.  And then Suwako and Kanako had shown them all up by speaking with the earth and wind for their poem.

The younger members had been forced to turn to more down to earth fun.  Sanae's had broken out her lipstick and managed to transfer a fair amount over to Momiji via sake cup, then she'd handed over the lipstick to Keine so the Hakutaku could teach Mokou about makeup via correspondence course.  Reisen had used her eyes to cause Eirin to completely miss a grab at a boat, and Hatate had summoned up a wind to leave a boat sitting in front of Miko until the prince claimed it.

Sanae was starting to get sleepy when the fifth bottle emptied, and for once everyone else at the party was drooping as well.  Miko and Momiji both looked like they were about to collapse, which kind of made sense, given how much sake had been thrown at them.

There was a sharp clink and Sanae looked to the front of the group as Suwako poured a cup.  The frog goddess held it up, and after Kaguya gave a tiny nod, she placed it on a boat without drinking from it.  "Ice covers the lake, a warm room beckons us, a game is ending."  She set the boat on the river, and everyone watched as it slowly floated downstream, past each one in turn.  And for the first time this evening Mokou stayed silent, allowing the boat to sail on into the Hakurei Shrine's pond.

The group sat in silence for a little longer, reveling in the silence.  Then they each began to stand.  Keine bowed to the group then collected Mokou and headed for the front of the shrine, while Youmu took some time to find her balance before saying "I should find Lady Yuyuko" and heading off.  The Eintei people all gathered for a moment, before Eirin and Kaguya shooed Reisen off to the party.  Kanako and Suwako waved to Sanae before heading to the main party as well, while Miko, Futo, and Tojiko all met up and began chatting amongst themselves.

So Sanae found herself slowly moving over to where Hatate was figiting.  She was pleasantly surprised when Momiji joined the two.  "That was fun but kinda confusing," she said, realizing just a second later just how dumb she sounded.

Hatate just chuckled.  "Yeah, I thought about texting you so we could chat but it seemed kinda rude."  She looked between her and Momiji.  "So I have you two at fifty one percent.  Should I go?"  Sanae's head started spinning even more then it did before.  And Momiji flushed.  The tengu did know!

Momiji however dodged the question.  "So Hatate, why did you stick around?  There's no story here."

"What and miss this?"  Hatate gestured wildly and stumbled a bit before continuing.  "This is a once in a lifetime chance!  You don't give those up just because you can't make a story out of it!  Aya was a fool.  She taught me you can't be a well rounded reporter just sitting around."  Hatate shook her head.  "Anyway I've got another once in a lifetime chance I gotta try for."  The tengu girl pointed to where the Taoists were wandering off.  "I'm going to get shot down, so I'll leave you two to your private meeting."  Hatate took to the air and began a wobbly flight after the three other women.  Sanae watched the crow tengu leave, then realized Kanako and Suwako had wandered off as well.  She was alone with Momiji.

The wind priestess hesitantly moved over to lean on Momiji's shoulder.  "Sorry," she said, "I'm still tipsy."

Momiji swayed a bit, then put her arm around Sanae.  She slowly turned and led the wind priestess to the back of the shrine.  "I'm a little dizzy too.  I don't think the crowds would be good.  Do you mind if we sit back here and talk?"

Sanae's heart was racing.  "Not at all!"  She coughed then lowered her voice.  "I'd be happy to stay with you."

The two sat on the back porch and leaned against each other.  Momiji's warmth was pleasantly different from the chill night air and the heat of the sake.  As they pretended to look at the stars Sanae wondered if Momiji was trying to feel Sanae's breathing, like Sanae was trying to feel hers.

The moment was shattered by a beeping.  Sanae's eyes widened as she realized she'd just gotten a text.  How was that...  She gave Momiji a sheepish grin as she flipped open her phone.

*Protip: Tengu are monogamous but they expect people to have a little fun before getting hitched.  Go for it! XD.* -- Hata-tan

Sanae blushed as she snapped the phone shut.  "The nerve-!"  Just because some part of her brain had been considering....

She froze as a warm voice whispered into her ear.  "I'd never propose such a thing on the first date."

Sanae's brain swirled for a little longer, then she slowly moved to sit on Momiji's lap.  She sighed as the wolf tengu hesitantly embraced her.  "So then, we should make this date count."  She nuzzled up against Momiji, reaching up to lightly touch the tengu's fuzzy ears.  "So tell me about yourself..."

-------

Author's Notes:
I've wanted to do something with this court drinking game for a long time.  I heard about it during the tour of the imperial palace, and I thought it was an interesting ritual.  So I finally pulled myself together and used it to ship Sanae and Momiji.  I'm sure Murasa will be by with a ladle soon enough.

If you read through it again you might catch a few more references in the poems.  Most of them don't require knowledge of Japanese, though there are a couple of cultural / language references in there.

Anyways thanks to Ruro for proofing.  Hopefully it's an amusing enough fluff piece.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:50:45 AM by Iced Fairy »

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2012, 11:06:40 PM »
Hee, that was cute and funny. I generally approve of crack-shipping on general principles, too :3

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2012, 10:19:40 PM »
Perfectly good crackfluff! And I got to learn something about government culture! :D
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »
not bad these story are well written and aren't all clomped together into giant paragraphs
human civilization has just been wiped out and your worried about donations!?

create.swf fallout gensokyo http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,13035.0.html

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2012, 04:05:42 AM »
I carefully looked all around the cavern before dashing to the next stalagmite. I froze, then scanned the dark shadows between the pillars for trouble.  I'd perfected this route a long time ago, back when I'd followed Aya down here to learn her secrets, but I just didn't feel at ease.  There was something in the flickering shadows that promised malice for the unwary.  It didn't help that while I'd been here before, and everyone knew I'd been here before, it was still super duper illegal for me to be here.

Fortunately I didn't have much further to go.

The Palace of the Earth Spirits was a massive building, bigger then any human castle, with windows of masterfully worked stained glass.  I could probably do a whole article just on the windows, but right now I only cared about one of them.  The one window that could never close.

I crouched, then leaped through the opening.  The stone floors made me cough with pain when I hit, but a quick roll brought me to my feet.  I couldn't help but smile as I surveyed the massive corridors.  Expert entry by a prodigy reporter.  Now I didn't need to bother to hide.

"I told you I don't like having my picture taken.  Why are you down here again?"

Lucky!  I had to swallow a laugh at how fortunate I was.  I'd been hoping to talk to the head lady herself and here she was!  I'd expected to have to fight through waves of angry cats to meet with her.  I ignored her three eyed glare and pulled out my cellphone so I could take notes.  “Hiya!  Hatate Himekaidou, Kikashi Spirit News.  I'd like an interview, Satori Komeiji, or should I say, Ms. Eureka Heart!"

This time I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing when she reeled back  "What?!  How did you?  Writing lessons?  Think slower!"  Her sudden outburst startled away my smile.  This didn't seem like how Satori normally acted.  Admittedly normally she'd just start shooting at me-

Her words interrupted my thoughts.  "Hm... 'Normally you just start shooting danmaku.'  Well yes, because normally you're here for pictures.  But now you're here for blackmail?"

I felt a little embarrassed having my plan so openly stated.  I mean, I was more tasteful then that right?  "Hey now, I'm not here for blackmail, I'm here to improve my writing."

Satori sighed at my reply.  "You'll just release my true identity to the public if I don't help.  Well, I can't help you, but since you leave me no choice, I'll try."

That seemed wrong to me somehow.  "Hey now, you're really good at writing!  You have to have some tricks for me.  Your manga brought the great tengu himself to tears you know.”  And me as well, though I'd never say that.  “Anyone who can do that's gotta have skill!"

Satori ignored my words and just turned around and walked away.  Not having any other ideas, I just followed after her.  It was a little unnerving how our footsteps echoed dissonantly through the empty halls.  Finally after a few corridors she spoke again.  "My skill comes from years of experience.”  I felt my wings twitching beneath my skin at that.  I'd gotten real tired of hearing people repeat experience over and over to me.  Satori continued on.  “I learned what to write by experiencing the reality of the world, experiencing each of life's blows and cuts.  I learned how to write by reading the desires in people's hearts.  Seeing their hopes and despairs written out before me.  I can't teach you that."

I had to admit, while I didn't like the 'experience' cop out, she had a point.  But it also didn't fit right in my head.  "It's more then that though right?  I mean all, well most satori can read minds and they aren't writers like you.  You've got something else, you know."  And she did.  Her books were great.  Okay admittedly I liked her simpler manga works more then her critically acclaimed literary works, but you know, we all have our favorite styles.

She walked on in silence.  I started wondering if Satori was disagreeing with my explanation but just giving me the silent treatment.  She quickly shook her head when I thought that.  “No no.  I'm merely a little taken aback at your praise.  Perhaps you are correct.”  Satori sighed.  “Still I am uncertain how I can teach you.”

“Well, it's obvious, you just...”  I stopped.  I didn't have a clue how she was going to teach me.  I mean wasn't that the point and all?  If I know what I needed to learn from her I wouldn't need to learn it.  “Well, I mean, how did you learn how to write?”

“I read a lot of books and minds, then I started writing.”  Satori's expression didn't change as she continued.  “Then I wrote things and showed them to people while reading their hearts.  It's good feedback, if painful.”

“Oh.”  Yeah that was something I couldn't do.  I wasn't sure what I should suggest now.  Heck I didn't even know where I was going.  The tiled floors and stained glass windows of the giant palace all looked the same.  If it weren't for the breath of wind from that one open window I wouldn't even know which way the exit was.

“Ah, that's how you navigate around this place.” Satori said in response to my thoughts.  “I'll have to remember that.  As to where we're going, isn't it obvious?”  Satori opened another door.  “My library.”

Satori's words rebounded on themselves in the stone halls, like the pounding of a gavel to sentence the condemned.  Which was fitting because the place looked like a courtroom.  The bookshelves loomed over me as I forced myself to step in.  This place wasn't anything like Voile.  Voile was crowded and stuffy, with books just lying about in a clutter of information.  The shelves here stood on their own against the wall.  Each stretched up to the ceiling, a monument to the knowledge they contained, and that I had yet to learn.  The atmosphere was made even heavier by the complete and utter lack of other furnishings.  The only thing in the room other then the shelves was a single table with a lamp at the far end.  It almost looked like a defendant's table.

“Hm...  A rather lurid imagination, but you're somewhat correct.  This place used to be a courtroom for the yamas back when this was still hell.”  Satori gently touched off the floor and floated silently over towards the desk like this was all totally normal.    I forced myself to try to ignore the feelings the room inspired in me and just fly along like everything was normal.  Still, I wondered how the other woman could  be so blind to the atmosphere here.  “It's a lot easier to ignore the atmosphere when you've seen the court in session,” Satori said as she pulled out a chair and dropped into it.  “So then, let's start this exercise in futility.  What exactly are you trying to write?”

That question banished the gloomy atmosphere from my mind.  “Why my newspaper of course!  Isn't it obvious?  I mean a newspaper is a crow tengu's pride and joy.”  And with the writing skills I could gain here I'd be finally able to beat that Bunbunmaru rag! 

Satori nodded.  “So you think you need an edge to beat Aya.  After all she has more experience, since you're only three hundred twenty two years old.”

I flinched as my winds wriggled again.  I hated that word.  “Experience isn't everything ya know!  I've got skills that even Aya is jealous of.  Don't write me off so easily!  It's not polite!”  She should have known that was a sore spot from last time!

Satori sighed, her two normal eyes closing.  “Hm... 'Why's she bringing up stuff like that?  I was entirely wrong about her.'  Well, five encounters before you learned why my power is hated.  That's better then normal.”

I flushed as I slammed the table.  That was just being rude. “Seriously, why are you being so, so, bitchy about that?  You didn't need to bring that up!”

Satori opened her eyes and pressed forward.  A wave of pressure seemed to roll off her and I'm ashamed to say it stopped me cold.  It was completely different from her basic persona.  “Yes I did.  It's what I am,” she said in cold clipped sentences.  I gritted my teeth and forced myself to sit straight despite her presence.  I was a tengu!  I wasn't going to back down to a satori, no matter how famous.

After a moment Satori leaned back and the pressure faded.  I slowly relaxed as the challenge faded away.  “Yes, you do still have your pride as a youkai.”  The woman's shoulders shrugged as she sighed deeply.  “And you still have that blackmail information, so I'll see what I can find.” She carefully stood then floated towards one of the upper shelves.

As my unwilling host drifted out of sight I looked over the writing implements scattered across the table and frowned.  When I'd started out on this it'd seemed like the best plan ever!  Now I was starting to have doubts and regrets.  Maybe Satori was right and she really couldn't help me with writing as a reporter?  Maybe my failure wasn't in my writing?  And if it was could I stand working with her long enough to learn?

I shook those thoughts from my head then grabbed a piece of paper and started scribbling a quick account of my journey here. I'm not the type to get bogged down in what if and maybes.  That never helped anyone right?  Best to keep moving and find the brighter side of life.  Or at least make bitching about things fun.

“That does make your mind more fun to read then most.”  My pen slipped as the Satori's sudden comment caused me to totally lose my train of thought.  “Sorry.  I didn't mean to startle you.  I forget sometimes how much better my pets senses are then even most youkai.”  Satori softly landed, then shattered the graceful silence by dropping the books onto the table with an echoing thud.  “Here's what I have on the matter.  Perhaps they will help.”

I looked down at the stack of dusty tomes and thin magazines.  Somehow they didn't seem to  leak mastery of the written word.  As I skimmed the titles my opinion of the stack dropped lower.  “Aren't all of these fiction works?”  What the hell was I going to learn from that?

“Yes.  Fiction is the essence of things in Gensoukyo.”  Satori sat down as she continued answering the question I hadn't asked.  “Books on how to write as a reporter will teach you one person's style of writing.  A story about a reporter can tell you what a reporter should be.”

I couldn't even feel insulted at that nonsensical statement.  I just raised an eyebrow and replied, “I'm a crow tengu, I know what a reporter should be.”

“No, you know how to be a gossip.”  I couldn't help but growl at that, but she ignored me.  “You crow tengu innately desire to spread information and speculation quickly.  There is, apparently, supposed to be a difference between that and a reporter.”  Satori tapped the stack.  “And that difference is somewhere in here.”

“That's...” My protest died on my lips.  There might be something to what Satori had said.  When I'd followed Aya around I learned that news was more then just simply reporting what her pictures showed.  It might be possible that I'd missed something else.  In fact, it might be better if I'd missed something!  If there was a facet of true reporting that I could learn from this I'd be sure to pull ahead of Aya, no ahead of all the other crow tengu!  I grabbed the top book and flipped it open.  “That's a good idea!  Alright, let's do this.”

A small smile inched across Satori's face.  “I'm glad to see you're happy with the idea.”  She stood and began walking away.  “I have to go tell my pets to prepare a larger meal then normal.  I'll return in a bit to hear any questions you might have.”

I gave the woman a distracted wave before turning my full attention to the book.  I skimmed through the story itself, trying to find the nuggets of knowledge hidden within.

But that didn't last.

My energy slowly leached out of me as I flipped through one book after another.  I felt myself slowly being drawn down into my chair, the quicksand of boredom refusing to release it's hold on me.  Every one of these cookie cutter reporters were the same.  They all cried about bringing “the truth” and then cut through red tape or something and learned the big secret and exposed it.  I could do that!  Exposing secrets is easy!  But that couldn't be the difference between a gossip and a reporter.

The door opening was a welcome reprieve.  Finally I could take a break from this waste of time.  Satori was there, along with a dog girl that I'd never seen before.  Or maybe it was that dog that tried to bite me the last time I came in.  It didn't matter really.  The important thing was the tray of sandwiches the dog girl was carrying.

“Lunch is served,” Satori said as she sat back down.

“Thanks” I replied.  I put the book aside with no small relief and grabbed one of the sandwiches.  Satori sat down opposite to me and grabbed one of her own.  The dog girl gave me a mean look and left.  Oh well, reporters were often misunderstood.  Even these books got that much right.

“I take it then your search hasn't gone well?” Satori stated

“Ugh!”  I couldn't help but flop down on the table.  “These books all have the same plot!  Or at least the reporting part of the story does.  'Find the big scoop!  Stick it to those in power!'”  I took out my frustrations on the sandwich.  “None of them have anything to do with day to day reporting other then to bitch about it.”

“Hm... Yes, that's sometimes a problem when doing research like this.”  Satori nibbled at her food a bit before continuing.  “There are certain areas where people are uninterested in the reality compared with the fantasy.  Often this works in the writers favor, like in combat or erotica.  In other fields it makes things more difficult.”

I blinked at the explanation.  “Wait, are you telling me people don't like sex?  Somehow I don't think that's a common sentiment, ya know.”

She raised an eyebrow at me, like I was the one who'd said something strange.  “I said people prefer fantasy in erotica.  Erotica isn't sex.  If nothing else it's missing the parts most people enjoy.  I know some writers claim there's no limit to what can be done with words, but I'd have to disagree.”

I wondered how she would know that, then winced.  She could read that right out of my head of course.  Satori's smirk only made me feel more awkward.  I turned back to the books and started skimming again before my mind gave away more stupid questions.  And before Satori started giving answers.

The reading took my mind off that little bit of stupidity, but only because it was painfully boring.  It was the same story again and again.  At least it was when reporting was the focus.  Some of the books read more like an action manga.  Reporting was barely touched on.  I felt the chair slowly trying to consume my body again and wondered if chairs fed on boredom.  If so this chair was getting a feast.

Finally I tossed the last hard bound book down.  “Nothing.  None of these have anything new.”

Satori frowned  "I see.  That's unfortunate.  Perhaps I'll have to search again.”  She sighed, then pointed down at the last set of writing she'd pulled out at the start.  “What about those books there?"

I looked down at the brightly covered manga tomes Satori indicated.  Somehow the thought that something so garish might hold what I was looking for seemed ridiculous.  Still I was stuck here anyway right?  I flipped it open.

I was greeted by yet another reporter who hated reporting. 'The City' was a real eye opener, filled with gratuitous sex imagery that would put the Fisherman's wife to shame, but the first volume was just more sound and fury about the truth.  At least the pictures made the story move faster.  I got through the first book and tossed it aside before grabbing the next.

Satori sighed and rubbed her eyes.  "Unfortunate. I'd hoped that you'd find something worthwhile."  It seemed she really had been trying to help me.  It was nice of her, given I'd kinda strong-armed her into it.  I shrugged and turned back to the reading.  As I said, it was fast paced, so I might as well finish it.  This volume started off with more needless cursing and yammering about the truth.

And then something changed.  Something that triggered my reporter's senses.  A little voice that said 'Hey, something big is here!'  I sat up and started reading closely.

It wasn't the assistant that the reporter got, though the explanations he gave to them made something click.  It wasn't the story.  The story was still the same search for 'truth.'  It wasn't the setting, as weird and shocking as it was.  No there was something else different. Something that seeped out around the story.  Something that made the articles, even though they were fake articles, stand out more then any article I'd ever read before.

I finished the story, but I still couldn't find exactly what is was the drew me in.  I cursed and started in again at the second volume, flipping through to find the articles, searching for the meaningful ones.  Satori leaned forward as I searched, occasionally parsing through my cast offs, and organizing the piles to make my research easier.

In the end I found it in a meaningless article about a woman who barely featured in the story.  It wasn't a special story.  Something similar had happened to thousands in this world.  It wasn't a magical telling that united everyone to step up and fix the problem.  In the end no one really cared.  But it was her story.  A story that, as similar as it was to everyone else's, was still unique.  And that was when I figured out what I needed to learn.  Or perhaps unlearn.

"What is truth?"

I realized how stupid the question sounded as soon as I said it, but that was the difference.  That was what made these stories stand out.  What gave them meaning all on their own.  Truth was more then just facts.  Or perhaps I should say, the truth that a reporter must hunt for are the facts with the least value.

When Heida no Akyuu was born, any Tengu could report the facts of her birth.  The time, her weight, the name of the midwife attending.  That was simple.  And anyone could wax poetic about how totally awesome it was to see the new Child of Miare and what it meant for Gensoukyo.  Truths, yes.  Even important truths.

But who would ask her mother what it was like to see her child for the first time?  The joy and pain of having a kid.  The hope and pride knowing that her girl was one of the most important humans in the village.

Who would ask that woman, forgotten by history, what it feels like to know she will live to bury that child she just bore?

Satori just nodded in agreement.  Of course.  She could see what I had just realized.  You could understand   After all, you saw these truths all the time.  Perhaps that was what defined her as a youkai.

Her eyes opened wide, then she chuckled slightly.  “A youkai of truth?  Perhaps.”  Her eyes slowly dropped away from mine.  “But I see them differently.  You can see them as parts of a whole.  You can understand both their hearts and their rational mind.  That there is something a satori can't see.”  Her shoulders slumped, and her eyes focused on nothing in particular.  “I don't know what it's like for someone to bite their tongue, at least not like you.  I always see the words the spiteful part of them wants to say.”

She started and looked back at me, while managing to force a smile.  “Some people are better to be around then others of course.  People like you, who think of strangers as interesting subjects aren't bad to be around in passing.  Monks are tolerable, at least the good ones.  But as soon as someone starts to get to know me, to spend time with me....”  Her eyes drifted away again.

For the first time I looked at her.  Not as a story or a resource to be used, but as a youkai.  I don't know what changed within me, but I felt like the world had more color and depth especially her.  Perhaps my revelation had opened my eyes, forced me to start seeing people as people instead of just facts.  Perhaps it was because her armor of pride had fallen away.  Perhaps it was both or neither or something else entirely.  But I knew, then, that I needed to interview you.  To learn what it meant to be Satori.  Not just a satori, but Satori Komeiji, the most famous of her race.

She looked up at me with widened eyes.  I think this was the first time I surprised you as well.  “Interview... me?”  She pulled away, the pride of a youkai starting to slip over her expression again.  “Why interview me?”

That was a good question.  Opportunity, interest, desire?  I couldn't give a single answer.  But if anyone needed to have their story told, it was someone like you.  Someone who people didn't want to speak to, who people avoided.  Someone who understood a truth no one else could.

As she read my thoughts, she slowly relaxed.  A small smile formed on her lips, but her violet eyes were dull.  “I suppose someone who has stolen the truth from so many others should repay the favor in kind.”  She sighed and leaned forward.  I leaned back, trying to give her space.  “I'll start at the beginning, with our birth, because that I think is what made us different from other satori.”

She sat there for a few moments, collecting her thoughts before taking a deep breath and starting.  “You know that satori breed true right?  Like yuki-no-onna.  And that most of us have a human parent.”  I nodded silently.  I'd learned that much.  “Our mother was lucky.  She fell in love with a messenger for the shogunate.  He was happy to marry a 'woman' who would put up with his constant absences, and they were never around each other long enough for our race's... idiosyncrasies to become a problem.”  Satori's eyes grew a little brighter.  “They were only together for fifteen years before he died, and they saw each other for less then a month each year.  But they were happy.  That's better then most.”

I briefly wished I could have seen such a unique union, maybe talked to Satori's mother, but I let the thought slip away as she continued.  “Koishi and I were born from that union.  Myself three years after they met, and her two years before father died.”

I saw Satori's third eye close a little as she looked into the past.  “Koishi and I were always together.  We weren't inseparable, no we satori value time alone too much for that, but we were close.”  She snapped back to the present and stared at me.  “You have to understand most satori can't even stand each other.  But because Koishi and I were together so often we learned something most satori didn't.  We learned how to ignore the momentary flashes of anger and disappointment that flash across the hearts of most people, because we always knew we loved each other, even when our hearts said something cruel.”

As I scribbled down her words I wondered if that applied to people like me as well.  I mean, I didn't really mean some of the nastier things I thought about you.

Satori's smile twisted a little.  “You meant them when you thought them.”  I winced at the reprimand, but your words didn't really sting.  “Still you weren't that insulting.  And you feel bad about them now so I don't see a reason to press the matter.”

I felt the good cheer in the room drain away as she sighed and her smile faded..  “However, that was our problem.  We loved each other, but the world didn't love us.  It was... difficult.”  She began tracing patterns on the table as she thought up how to explain herself.  “I weathered the storm better.  Perhaps because I was older.  Still I find I don't trust people as much.  Too often the words in their heart become reality.  Koishi...”

She had closed her third eye to escape.  It had taken me a while to find that out.  I still wasn't fully sure what it meant either, but the younger Komeiji was a strange being.

Satori slumped onto the table.  “Yes.  Koishi couldn't take how much people hated her.  She tried to give people the benefit of the doubt.  She hoped that their friendliness and respect were stronger then the fear and hate that welled up within their hearts.  But that was so rarely true.  In the end she sealed her heart partially.

My pen stopped and I looked up at Satori.  Partially sealed?  I'd never heard that.

“Yes.  Partially sealed.”  Satori's own third eye closed a little.  “The proof of that is you remember her.  If her eye was fully sealed she wouldn't show up at all in your mind.  She has thrown away all her thoughts, all her emotions, except for the bond that connects us.  Our love as sisters is why those who know me can remember her.”

It sounded like a miracle, a bond that people had spent their lives search for, but the dead way you said those words....

She turned even further, turning her face to hide her expression from me.  That was when I realized it.  You're afraid you're holding your sister back.  You think that your love is chaining her conscious mind.

She shivered at my words, but she didn't deny anything.  I saw your eyes begin to glisten with tears and I found myself pulling out the handkerchief I use to wipe my camera lens.  She hesitated a moment, then took it with a nod before gently wiping her eyes.  Then she took a deep breath and pushed herself back up off the table.  “Thank you.” she said as she handed me back the handkerchief.  Her eyes were sharp again, but her touch was light.  I couldn't help but blush as you smirked at me for my errant thoughts.  My mind searched for another topic.

I wondered if you had ever considered closing your third eye.  Sacrificing happiness and pain for contentment.  Her smile softened, but there was none of the pain that was there before.  “I did a few times.  Back when my sister first closed her eye I considered following her, and again when I realized our connection was keeping her from totally losing her conscious identity.  But both times I rejected it.” She sighed.  “I can't force my sister to follow my path, but I think she's wrong.  I think the Buddhists are wrong.”

Was it your pets that made you think that?

“No.”  You shake your head.  “No I love my pets, and they love me.  But they think differently.  They'd be a little sad if my heart wasn't open, but they'd still be able to have fun with me.  I didn't change for another reason.”

You fell silent, but somehow I knew the truth you carried.  The tilt of your head.  The look you have in your eyes.  The way your heartbeat changes as it pumps through your third eye.  These are the keys to the existence of Satori Komeiji that you have given me, and I know, without a doubt, that you kept your powers because you had hope.  A hope that one day you would meet someone who would care for you despite your power.  A hope that you could find someone you could trust other then your sister.

That was why you wrote so many books.  You wanted to let your voice be heard without hate or prejudice changing the meaning.  You wanted to bring others laughter, and tears, and hope.  And maybe, just maybe, someone would find you through your words.

You don't reply to my realizations, but they way you blush and turn ever so slightly away is enough for me to know the truth.  And I am humbled by it.

Then it's my turn to blush in shame as I realize I've once again treated you like a resource.  I took one of your truths, something personal, that was once yours alone all to satisfy my need for a new story.  I took and I took and I offered nothing in return.

A soft presence falls upon my arm, and I see your hand on my wrist.  “That's not true,” you say quietly.  “You listened to me.  You gave me your full attention, and you did everything you could to make me comfortable.  To respect me and my existence.”

I opened my mouth to ask how she knew that, and then I froze again my wings near bursting out at the realization.  You giggled at my surprise.  A strange sound coming from you.  “That's right Hatate.  You haven't said a word since you started interviewing me.  You let me see your thoughts directly, and spoke from your heart without malice.”

I considered replying, then closed my mouth.  I'd gotten this far without words, perhaps I could keep going.  Though I didn't really have a clue what to do now.

You did though.  Your smile faded, and your eyes swept over me like they did when we first met.  Assessing me, body and mind.  You hesitate, then leaned forward and asked, “Do you find me attractive Hatate?”

The shock sends my heart racing.  The first thing my mind does of course is try to answer your question.  Your clothes are wrinkled and you haven't spent much time getting the cowlicks out of your hair.  But your body's presence, your mind and that hopeful spirit all draw me in ways I can't explain.

And then I looked away, because I felt like this was all taking advantage of you yet again.  Playing off your emotions and need for understanding.  Then I felt your hand gently forcing me to face you, and I saw in your eyes the strength that had guided you here.  “You won't be taking advantage of me Hatate.  To be honest, I might be taking advantage of you.”

I wondered if this was too fast, but I knew on some level you couldn't wait.  You couldn't trust me to feel the same towards you tomorrow.  It's easy to find sympathy for the devil, but harder to keep it.

You nodded.  “And I don't trust myself.  You say I have hope and strength, but well...”  Your eyes softened once again.  You can't trust yourself to have it tomorrow.  Then you smiled brilliantly.  “But, I do love reading happy minds like yours, Hatate.”

That settles it.  I cover your warm hand with my own as I try to find my voice.  I know you've already heard the words in my heart, but I want to say them aloud so you hear them in my words as well.  “I think you're beautiful, Satori.”

We stood and you slid in alongside me.  Somehow your eyes switched again, to a smoking gaze and the press of your body against mine made all the minor nitpicks in my mind fade away.  For the first time the difference in our age and experience really hit me, but I didn't feel angry or cheated, just awkward.

“My room is this way,” you say as you guide me out.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:33:08 PM by Yuuyiced Fairy »

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2012, 06:24:08 AM »
That end was kind of pretty. A bit odd, though, what with the shift to second-person when talking with Satori. The other thing bugging me is the fact that it started with blackmail ...

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
A bit odd, though, what with the shift to second-person when talking with Satori.
I'm pretty sure that's deliberate, to represent
Spoiler:
how Hatate starts viewing Satori as a person rather than a source of information.

Anyway, like I said to you before, I really enjoyed this piece.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
A bit odd, though, what with the shift to second-person when talking with Satori.
As Rou said, it was intentional.  I have a feeling it's going to be hit or miss since it's the first time I've done something like that, but I hope it's more hit then miss.

The other thing bugging me is the fact that it started with blackmail ...
I figure when crow tengu get juicy gossip they actually don't want to spread (for some reason) they turn to blackmail as a way to curb their instinctual desire to tell everyone everything they know.  Unlike actual blackmailers they aim low and only ask for payoff once.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2012, 03:17:12 AM »
It's that time of the year again.  When Iced ignores even his own canon.
--------------------

Utsuho stretched as she landed on the floor of the Palace of the Earth Spirits.  She'd been busy regulating the reactor for some time.  In fact she'd kinda lost track of the day.  Orin had been too good at bringing over food while she was working.  But the reactor was running smoothly now, and her new senses were telling her that she could leave the place alone for a month without directly interfering.  It was time to take a break and go see her mistress.

The odd mismatched echos of her footsteps as she walked down the long corridors reminded Utusho to unsummon her godly regalia.  The items helped her channel the Yatagarasu's power, but they were a little clunky just to have around.  She kept the third eye as a shiny ornament of course.  Shiny things were always nice.  Besides the hole it left in her shirt when dismissed was a little.... big.

She found Satori in the library as usual, though instead of reading or writing Satori was pouring over some hand-held item..  The master of the underground palace gave Utsuho a polite nod before returning her attention to the device.  Whatever it was it must be quite interesting for Satori to be so focused on it.  Utsuho floated over to look over Satori's shoulder.

The think looked a little like the camera that one tengu had brought, but it was larger and it wasn't showing what was in front of it, it was showing a small moving picture.  Satori seemed to be controlling the picture by tapping various buttons and the lower screen.  Utsuho wondered where Satori had gotten the item.  Things from the outside world didn't drop into the hells often.

"Ah, I got it from... an admirer of my literary work."  For some reason Satori leaned closer to the screen when she said that.  "She thought it would help me if I was more up to date on current trends, so she gave me this device.  The kappa modified it to work off magic.  Though it needs some calibration."

"Unyu?"  Utsuho peered at the device.  She could feel the flow of power through it with her connection to the Yatagarasu, but it was too far removed from nuclear power for her to sense anything wrong with it.  "Well if you say so Miss Satori.  So what does the device do?"

"It's a tool for presenting interactive stories," Satori replied.  "Apparently this is replacing books among some people in the outside world."

"Really?"  Utsuho looked at the screen again.  She wasn't well read, but she couldn't see how these pictures could replace a book.  Though she did like how bright the screen was.  "So what's this story about?"

Satori hummed in thought for a second.  "It seems to be about a human who trains lesser youkai to participate in danmaku duels.  This is a big event in the world of this story.  Of course the human also faces and defeats villains who misuse the powers of the lesser youkai, but the main goal seems to be to win a dueling tournament."

Utsuho was considering the intricacies of that idea when Satori started.  Then she smiled.  "Ah.  Finally.  I left those two in the daycare center for so long I was beginning to think they were incompatible.  Now to see what the egg hatches into."

"Egg?"  Utsuho blinked.

"Yes.  You can leave two of these lesser youkai together and they might produce a child combining their strengths.  Pairing off my stronger youkai is an interesting exercise." Satori nodded as she cycled through some screens, then closed the device and stood up.  "Well that doesn't matter right now.  It's nice to have you home Utsuho."

Utsuho leaned down to catch Satori in a wing enfolding hug.  It was good to be back for a bit.  Satori threw her own small arms around Okuu's waist and patted Utsuho on the back.

"Ah, you're wondering about Orin are you?"  Satori said as Utsuho loosened her hug.  "I sent her up to give a message to the Yakumos, which means she's probably fighting with Chen.  She should be back in time for dinner."

Utsuho smiled happily.  Today was a good day.

-------------------

Orin showed up late, scratched up and smug.  To Utsuho's surprise Ran was accompanying her friend.   Ran wandered off to talk to Satori about political matters, leaving Utsuho and Orin to chat and make dinner.  To Utsuho's surprise the kitsune was still there when they brought the meal to the dining room.

Satori nodded in thanks as she took the plates.  "Yes, Ran is here to discuss the details of our surface trip.  I felt it best to go through proper channels this time."

"A surface trip?"  Utsuho tilted her head as she tried to think why they'd need to go to the surface.

"Come on Okuu, we talked about this before.  Since you're a god now those two punks up on top of the moutain need to start telling you how to use your powers better," Orin replied.  "And I need some miko lessons.  'Specially since that girl shot down the human sacrifice idea."

"Mmm.  That'd be hard, since there aren't that many humans," Utsuho replied.  "But why do you need to go too Miss Satori?"

Satori looked away for a moment.  "I... need to get the device I was using earlier fixed.  And I should speak to those gods as well."

Utsuho peered more intently at her mistress.  Satori was obviously hiding something, but Utsuho couldn't figure out what.  Maybe Orin would know.  Then again maybe not.  Satori rarely hid things from anyone, but she was really really good at it.

Ran seemed curious as well, but seeing no answer was forthcoming the kitsune continued with her message.  "Unfortunately due to some recent incidents, we can't let you all come above ground together.  One or two lone youkai are to be expected, but one of the pact holders and her two strongest servants heading to the surface at the same time will draw far too much attention.  Especially if you travel through tengu territory.  My master agrees with the necessity of this meeting though, so she'll sneak you into the mountain.  She's making arrangements with the Moriya gods right now, so matters should be ready in the morning."

"Thank you, Ran."  Satori turned back to her meal.  "We'll leave at ten then, just to make sure everything is settled."

Utsuho nodded and returned to her meal.  Tomorrow was going to be a fun day as well it seemed.

-------------

The place Ran led them too was almost a perfect example of a newly abandoned village.  The homes were just starting to show signs of wear and moss growth, and the streets had only an occational weed or sprig of grass breaking the rock paths.  The only thing it was missing was animals.  While the cold marble and glass edifice of the palace of the earth spirits was filled with spirits and animals of all sorts, Mayohiga was still.

"This place ain't so bad," Orin said looking around.  "The kid has a nice home."

Utusho nodded.  Less powerful creatures might be scared off, but youkai liker her had nothing to fear.  "Lots of good places to roost."  The Palace of the Earth spirits could be a little barren at some points.  Fortunately, it had a number of cozy rooms too.

A tear opened up in space and a woman with a parasol and a sour expression walked out.  The woman frowned even deeper as she saw Satori, Orin and Utsuho standing looking around.  Ran bowed to the woman.  "The delegation from Chireiden is here."

"So I see.  Welcome to Mayohiga and all that."  Yukari sighed.  "There's been a slight change in plans."

Utsuho watched as Satori leaned forward.  It was something her mistress did when she wanted to focus on a particular person's heart.  "I see.  The Moriya gods want us to wait a day before seeing them.  And they insist that we wait outside of hell.  How annoying."  Satori then smirked.  "Well, that shouldn't be a problem.  I can leave Utsuho and Orin in your care while handling my personal matters then."

"That will work.  Ran can lead you all to a guest house while I get ready."  Yukari quickly turned and walked away.

Ran's ears twitched beneath her hat.  "Sorry about that."

Satori politely waved it off.  "I'm well aware that Yukari hates having her actual feelings known."  Utsuho was always impressed at how quickly Miss Satori was willing to forgive people's stupid complaints about her powers.

Ran began walking into the center of the village.  "Well then, let's get you two settled.  Do you have any preferences?"

"A place with an internal bath'd be nice," Orin said.  "So we don't get cold walking outside."

Utsuho nodded.  "Ah, and a house with a large closet would be good too."  She prefered small areas to roost in.  Above ground crows might like more open areas, but hell crows tried to get caves for their nests.

Ran considered the requests.  "That shouldn't be a problem.  The house is a little small, but you two have no issue sleeping in the same room right?"

"Nyahaha, shouldn't be an issue no," Orin said with a wave.

"Then this should do nicely."  Ran walked up to a small house and opened the door.  Utsuho peered inside, Orin right behind her.  It was a single main room, with a bath and pantry in the back, and a large futon closet to the side.  It looked like there was only the one door, but the place was clean and had a few lanterns to keep it bright.

"Ah!  This will be great."  Utsuho let her wings flutter in appreciation.  She preferred her own nest with it's array of shiny objects of course, but this would do nicely.

Orin simply nodded.  "It'll do fine.  Thanks."  Cats were less openly attached to spaces, even when they obviously really liked them.  Utsuho never really understood it, but she'd learned to work around a lot of Orin's eccentricities.

"This does look like a good place."  Satori bowed to Ran.  "Thank you for providing so well for my pets."

"It's no problem," Ran replied.  "In any case please feel free to make yourselves at home.  Chen will be by to bring you meals."  Ran and Satori both gave Orin a dark look as the kassha's tails started twitching in anticipation.

Utsuho internally sighed and moved to scratch Orin behind her cat ears.  Her friend pouted
a little, but deflated as her thoughts of mischief slowly vanished.  Utsuho didn't know how her feline friend managed when she wasn't around to stop the kassha's more feral moments.

The matter settled Ran continued on as if nothing had happened.  "While I know it's a bit much to ask, it would be best if you stayed inside the village, and preferably inside this house."

Utsuho blinked.  "Eh?  Why?"

Ran looked slightly embarrassed.  "Well, uh, the border around this area isn't entirely secure, and it would be a big problem if you two were spotted.  After all that's sort of the point of all this...."

"Just trust Ran on this you two."  Satori said.  "I'm sure you two can find ways to pass the time together."

"Hm...  I suppose."  Orin's tails swayed a little, but she shrugged then smiled at Utsuho.  "It's been a while since we sat down and had a good long heart to heart right?"

"Yeah."  Utsuho smiled in return.  Her time in the reactor wasn't going to be that interesting to Orin, but she could at least talk with her friend about all the interesting oddities above ground.  And maybe she could give Orin a bit of below ground gossip too.

Satori nodded and patted them both on the head.  Utsuho leaned in to rub against her master's hand.  "I have to go now, so be good girls while I'm out.  You can spend some time with each other, then we'll all go see the gods tomorrow, okay?"

"Mhm!" Utsuho and Orin replied.

Satori petted the two for a few more minutes before finally pulling away and waving goodbye.  Utsuho returned the wave as Satori and Ran walked away.  As they did Satori turned to Ran and said, "Thank you again for the accommodations.  I'm sure those two will enjoy this little daycare center while I'm out and about."

"Unyu~?"  Something about Satori's sentence started rattling around in Utsuho's head.  She couldn't quite place it though.  Maybe if she thought about it-

"Hey, Okuu!"  Utsuho jumped and fluttered in surprise as Orin waved a hand in front of her face.  "Don't space out on me here."

"Ah sorry, Orin."  Utsuho tossed the thought into the back of her mind and shut the door.  She turned to her friend with a smile.  "So anything interesting happening that you forgot to tell me last night?"

"Hm?  Not really," Orin moved to the closet and pulled out a kotatsu.  Utsuho moved to help her friend set it up.  "I told you all the really interesting stuff before."

"Is that so?"  Utsuho thought for a moment as they set up positions opposite each other.  "Then I don't suppose you know what Miss Satori is really doing on the mountain?"

"Eh, so you think that machine's a cover story too?"  Orin stretched.  "I dunno.  I'm really curious though.  I heard some interesting rumors about the mountain from Momiji, but the only thing that's happening up there is one of the young reporter's gone kinda crazy.  She's been swapping between getting really drunk and asking weird philosophical questions and conducting really strange interviews.  But I don't really think that's got anything to do with Satori."

Utsuho considered the matter.  "Unyu...  I remember hearing Miss Satori had a visitor and then got really drunk after they left, but she does that whenever someone gets really mean about her powers."  Utsuho had considered heading aboveground to beat up the person responsible, but she'd been distracted by other matters.  She made a note to remember it again when she was less busy. 

Orin seemed to think on that for a moment then shook her head.  "Nah.  No way a tengu would..."  The kassha's ears twitched as she dismissed the idea.  "Well maybe we can figure out more tomorrow.  Anyway Okuu, why don't you tell your 'priestess' what's been happening on the god front will ya?"

Utsuho smiled at that.  "Maybe if you prayed to me I'd be able to answer that."  She sighed and started preening her wings.  "Honestly, I'm still having trouble with it.  Especially the being in two places at the same time thing.  I just don't understand it."

Orin yawned.  "Hm...  Normally I'd call you a birdbrain, but that kinda makes my head hurt too.  Maybe it's like dream walking or whatever they call it...."

The two chattered back and forth for some time about dozens of inconsequential things.  Orin usually led the conversation, but neither of them were bored.  It really had been too long since she'd spent a day with her closest friend.

Their conversation was finally interrupted by a loud rapping followed by the door sliding open abruptly.  Chen stood frowning in the doorway, holding a platter of various meats.  "Here's dinner," the nekomata said, all but dropping the plate on the table.

Utsuho gave Orin a worried glance, but while Orin's tails were lashing about she seemed to be smiling in sadistic pleasure.  "Thanks for the service kid.  We'll take it from here."  Chen simply grunted in reply and quickly left the house, slamming the door behind her.  Orin chuckled.  "Oh that kid's too easy to rile up."

"Just don't do it too often," Utsuho chided.  She didn't understand Orin's need to tease other cats.  Crows were usually friendly with one another.  Well unless the other crow was a jerk.

"Sure sure.  Anyway let's eat!"  Orin tore into the meat with her usual abandon.  Utsuho was more picky, carefully using her fingers to pick at the foods, grabbing the softest parts first.

They'd just finished up the meal when the atmosphere in the room shifted.  Both of them stiffened as the power of a minor seal flowed through the room.

Orin hopped up and leaped towards the door.  "A seal?  Is that stupid kitten playing around?"

"That doesn't seem right..."  After all there was no way a minor seal could hold a youkai like Orin, much less her own god powers.  There had to be another reason right?

Utsuho tilted her head and thought about the matter.  She knew she'd set something aside previously.  Something that might be important.  She'd always had problems with her memory, but if she worked really hard at thinking things through sometimes...

Then that thought she'd put away finally rattled back to the front of her head.  Satori had called it a daycare center.  Just like in her story.  Satori's words came to her.  ?Pairing off my stronger youkai is an interesting exercise.?

The more Utusho thought about it the more things lined up.  Satori had also been awfully evasive about how exactly they would pass the time.  The daycare center comment.  Finally someone had put up a seal to ensure they would have privacy.  And it made sense too.  After all, weren't Orin and her Satori's strongest pets.

Orin and her's child~!

It was a little scary to think about.  After all she was breaking several hell raven taboos.  But part of being a pet was suppressing your animal instincts to help your master, right?  And she really really liked Orin.  In fact it was almost a relief to not have to worry about such matters.  Perhaps that was part of Satori's plan too.  Satori was such a wonderful owner.

Orin was still picking at the door.  Obviously her friend hadn't realized Satori's intentions.  "Bah.  That stupid kitten is way too good at black magic seals.  I'm gonna have to summon up a ghost or two.  Or I suppose you could just vaporize the door Okuu?"

Utsuho unfastened her top two buttons and dismissed her third eye gem, allowing her shirt to fall open.  "We don't need to do that Orin.  After all it's better if the door is sealed for this."

She felt another surge of fear and excitement as Orin's jaw dropped.  Her feline friends ears twitched and tails stood up in shock, but there was no sign of panic.  "W-what are you doing Okuu?"

Utsuho slowly stepped forward, making sure not to spook her dearest companion.  "What we've both wanted to do for a long time Orin.  Miss Satori thinks it's best for us too, so we shouldn't fight it anymore."

Orin blinked but she didn't move back.  "Wait, you actually... but what about the whole mating thing?  That's-  And it's not the right season?"

And now the kassha was right where Okuu wanted her.  She threw a wing around the kassha and drew Orin close before starting to scratch behind the cat ears.  "It's all okay.  Your goddess gives you permission, Orin~<3"

As her friend started to purr Utsuho knew she had Orin in the palm of her hand.

-----------

"What were you thinking?!"

"But Raaaaan-"

"Don't you 'but Ran' me!  These two are unique guests!  We're on strained enough relations with the underground as it is!"  Ran dragged her shikigami by the scruff of her neck to the house.  Normally she overlooked Chen's childishness, but this was going to far.  "I don't care how much that Orin girl pesters you, when she's a guest you have to be acting as a diplomat!"

She stopped in front of the small house and planted Chen in front of the seal on the door.  "Now I want you to-"

A loud thump from inside stopped her mid rant.  "Fine then 'my goddess'!  But I won't hold back!"

"Ahn~!  Orin, don't nibble my wings like that!"

Ran clapped her hands over Chen's ears.  "We'll discuss this further later young lady.  Now let's go back to your chores."  She quickly turned and walked away.  This seemed like something that demanded privacy.

-----------

Satori carefully composed herself as she stepped through the gap.  It wouldn't do to have her true intentions known to all of Gensoukyo.  She was pretty sure Yukari had figured it out, but the gap youkai knew better then to engage in a blackmail war with a Satori.  Besides while Yukari hated her and her kind, it was an impersonal dislike.

To her surprise Yukari was waiting for her on the other side of the gap.  Normally she simply opened the portal and let Ran close it.  Satori's third eye focused as she tried to figure out why the gap youkai was here to greet her.

The answer left her open mouthed in shock.

She watched robotically as Yukari began her deadpan recitation.  "Ah there you are.  We were raising your youkai and boy were we surprised.  Your youkai had an egg."  Yukari reached into a gap and pulled out a foot long egg.  "We don't know how it got there, but your youkai had it.  You want it, yes?"

Satori could only nod weakly.  Fortunately she had enough presence of mind to carefully grab the egg from Yukari and hold it to her.

"Take good care of it."  Her speech over Yukari's eyes and voice both sharpened considerably.  "And now please take that walking bomb of yours and get those damn stupid gods to teach her how to control her miraculous power before she does something dangerous instead of ridiculous!"

Satori blinked and nodded again.  She had so many questions, but for some reason the only thing that formed into a coherent sentence was, ?I wonder how many steps it will take to hatch.?

----------
Remember kids, don't read pokemon stuff and aoshima comics at the same time.

Metaflare

• Happening Cat of the Middle of Nowhere
  • Welp is not a good nickname
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2012, 03:43:22 AM »
you know i was gonna call out how satori seemed to have missed the fact that the two pokemon in the daycare have to be opposite genders to produce an egg

but then it happened anyway

now i dont even know :derp:

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
silly utsuho that is not how science works

you are a silly raven

Spoiler:
So, in the author's opinion, what WOULD their child look like?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2012, 07:19:28 PM »
Spoiler:
So, in the author's opinion, what WOULD their child look like?
Catwings.

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2012, 01:13:50 AM »

...That was... interesting.

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2012, 05:26:39 AM »
pfffffahahahahaha

*deadpan* I call shenanigans, this pairing isn't nearly crack enough.

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2012, 05:45:37 AM »
Remember kids, don't read pokemon stuff and aoshima comics at the same time.

That...that explains a lot, actually.   :wat:

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »
I love Yukari's reaction towards the end, it's like she understands what they thought would happen, and is not at all surprised that against all odds it DID happen, and just wants them gone now xD

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2012, 01:52:16 AM »
Since Utsuho is likely the 'mother' and Orin the 'father' the result should be a hell raven with necromancer powers.

Awesome.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2012, 03:09:46 AM »
hell raven with necromancer powers.

Correction, Hell-Raven demigod with necromancer powers.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2012, 03:18:25 AM »
Since Utsuho is likely the 'mother' and Orin the 'father' the result should be a hell raven with necromancer powers..
Bad Okashii, making assumptions by who was more forward.  Okuu is the blue yin yang and Orin is the red one.

That means it'll be a cat with fight and nuclear fire powers.  Or as I said to Rou.
Catwings.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2012, 06:01:52 PM »
Catwings.

I, uh.... I feel like I missed something somewhere...

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2012, 06:11:40 PM »
I, uh.... I feel like I missed something somewhere...
Dammit Ruro. >.<