Author Topic: A book that teaches you to draw/paint Touhou characters in traditional media  (Read 8475 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Via Tohomemory: on Feb 28, Hobby Japan will release a book written by the painter and educator Hiroshi Misawa, about learning to draw Touhou characters using traditional media. Tohomemory have collected a few example artworks by the artists featured in the book.
http://hobbyjapan.co.jp/manga_gihou/item/550/

The book contains 3 chapters. Chapter 1 has Misawa teach you how to paint Touhou characters using watercolor; Chapter 2 is a series of step-by-steps by various artists, themed around drawing two-character couples; Chapter 3 has the artists examine their techniques.

The book is absolutely no cheap cash-in. Here's what I had to say about the author:
Misawa is an oil painter with over 30 years of experience, known for his expertise in anatomy and dedication to education (plus willingness to draw Touhou fanart and intermingle with the nerdy Pixiv/NicoNico/Comiket crowd, of course!) Let's just say, you can buy his textbooks on oil painting and anatomy even in China.

Book title:
アナログ絵師たちの東方イラストテクニック 水彩、油絵、コピック、色鉛筆、鉛筆など (マンガの技法書)
Amazon Japan link: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4798609412
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:17:49 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

microfolk

• I'ts absolutely
Misawa's pixiv gallery for reference.
I absolutely adore his style, his fanarts are among the best and I'd love to being able to read this book, too bad that I don't understand japanese at all. :(

cuc

Cover art from Amazon:

Melonbooks-exclusive bonus B&W artwork card drawn by Misawa:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:15:58 AM by cuc »

cuc

Hobby Japan is releasing a second drawing guide book for Touhou, this time focusing on a single media: Copic's alcohol markers.

You can order it from Amazon.

Tohomemory has collected some more info.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 03:52:01 PM by cuc »

Oh damn I wish I had money to buy it  :( :(