Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~  (Read 121708 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~
« on: November 24, 2014, 12:42:46 PM »
Etrian Odyssey is a fucking amazing first person dungeon crawler RPG series, and if you are clicking this link wondering what the hell it is you have been missing out.  If you have a 3DS go download the demo of Etrian Odyssey IV (or EO Untold, but EO4 is better for newcomers).  Or just listen to how beautiful the music is and then go buy it.

For the rest of us:

Persona Q: Shadows of the Labyrinth, a Persona 3/4 spinoff as built by the Etrian Odyssey team, releases tomorrow in North America.

Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Knight of Fenrir has just released in Japan.

To those who followed EOU2's announcement, there was once three pages of teaser - 2, D, and X.  It turns out the 2 literally was only Etrian Odyssey Untold 2, because...
* Etrian Odyssey X Mystery Dungeon announced
* ETRIAN ODYSSEY V

Long story short it's time for ETRIAN ODYSSEY HYPE
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:02:44 PM by Garlyle »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
eo5 GET HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 03:11:26 PM »
jfc I still need to get tired of Smash for long enough to beat EOIV I don't have time for EOU2 and EOX and EO5 ;_;
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
  • in the emptiness of reason.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:18:30 PM »
I'm getting Persona Q for Christmas. EO isn't really my thing, though. Don't hate it. I just don't think I'm hardcore-enough. I'll stick to robbits and IF games.
I need an option, a reason, and some hope.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
Same here; PQ for christmas. Specifically because I need it for the 10 hour car drive up to grandma's and back XD

Although damn, that's... more EO than I expected!
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:48:16 PM »
AHAHAHAHAHA I KNEW IT

ETRIAN ODYSSEY V :* :* :*

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »
EO5 HYPE!!! 
Extra stages cleared : EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:01:19 PM »
Ooh! This is exciting. I heard about V, but I had no idea about the mystery dungeon.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 07:19:25 PM »
Holy shit half-awake me didn't even see EOX Mystery Dungeon.

Oh my god an EO Roguelike

holy shit

take my money ALL OF IT

best series ever hands down

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
Holy shit half-awake me didn't even see EOX Mystery Dungeon.
It's easy to miss in the screaming about EOV

I am so happy EO is slowly taking over as one of Atlus' more invested-in franchises.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 04:43:07 AM »
Woooooooooooo!!!!! I gonna be getting Persona Q tomorrow, however I can play it on Christmas due to stuff.  :colonveeplusalpha:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:44:48 AM by MewMewHeart »
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 04:55:56 AM »
Asked for a gift card for my birthday two weeks ago specifically to go use on Persona Q tomorrow :V

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 05:00:40 AM »
To be honest I already saw  SuperJeenius livetstream the Japanese version of Persona Q, well just a little bit so I know some parts of the game, but not a whole lot.

Edit: PERSONA Q IS OUT HYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!!!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:05:06 AM by MewMewHeart »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 11:51:32 AM »
To be honest I already saw  SuperJeenius livetstream the Japanese version of Persona Q, well just a little bit so I know some parts of the game, but not a whole lot.

Edit: PERSONA Q IS OUT HYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!!!!
Hhhhhhh

I have to wait another like four hours before I'll be home from work and able to download it ;-;

(I have no idea who my party is going to consist of.  Apparently though you're stuck with the MC of whichever story version you play regardless, and the other MC needs to be level 55 to trigger a major quest [although you can just slap "get exp when not in the party" rings on them if you really])

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »
My copy of Q is shipping today, and I didn't get first-day delivery because I got fucked over on my first-day for P4AU (I took the day off work to play it and it showed up at 6:30 PM). So I saved on shipping costs, which matters even less given that I have Pokemon to play on my 3DS already, but my copy will be here soon in theory. I've never played an Etrian Odyssey outside of half an hour of the demo once and I didn't really like it.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »
I want a 3ds qquueeee. Waiting for the new version to come out, but ill snag a regular xl one if i can for 100 or less.

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 04:14:35 PM »
EOU2 has BATH DLC. For 350 yen. And it gives you sketchy bath portraits. Is this still EO??
Also free additional portraits oh mannnnnnn so good

theshirn

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 05:09:23 PM »
EOU2 has BATH DLC. For 350 yen. And it gives you sketchy bath portraits. Is this still EO??
Also free additional portraits oh mannnnnnn so good
ugh what

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »
ugh what
Hot Springs episode DLC.

Not sure how to feel.  Untold is basically full anime tho it was to be expected

In other news I want to stay up and play the shit out of PQ but I really need to sleep.  My life is suffering or something.  Enjoying it so far though.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 10:24:08 PM »
I've acquired my Persona Q game from Gamestop along with the free Tarot cards and I'm going for TEAM PERSONA 4 because of Naoto and Rise. I'm happy my aunt allowed me to play my Persona Q game ehehehe... although I'm stuck cooking Thanksgiving food until further notice. Hmm... now who do I want to use though aaaaaaagh. Also I will say I do know how to beat some bosses of it due to me watching SuperJeenius stream the Japanese version on twitch.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:26:29 PM by MewMewHeart »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 05:20:51 AM »
Oh yeah, speaking of DLC, seems Persona Q has some.  For the moment at least it's free DLC though - just an extra subpersona in your compendium to summon.  Not sure how long it'll remain free (Atlus seems fond of the "early adopters get DLC free" model).  There's supposed to later be DLC to get Elizabeth and Nanako as navigators though (which I'm not gonna lie are both tempting).

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 05:46:18 AM »
Also another free DLC in a week. Not sure how long either will be free though yeah.

ANYWAY oh god mapping in PQ is wonderful I hope EO5 takes all the new features ALL OF THEM. (I'm going team P3 though because Mitsuru. <3 With the bonus of getting to crack up at Akihiko wanting to go punch FOEs the moment he heard about them.)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 06:00:21 AM »
If and when I do get my 3ds, hopefully sooner than later. Do you guys think I should get EO4 first? or Millennium girl? I HAVE played one, and I really liked it, but I think rebalancing immunize and fortify (or whatever the protector one was that stacked with immunize) would make it oh so much better (and before you say just don't use those moves, that's a good solution minus the fact I tend to favor tanky/turtle strategies in these kinds of games in general and I'd basically be not playing the way I am inclined to to begin with), and I recall it had lots of new features that people were going ape over, and I'm not really dying for a new story or anything, and I haven't memorized the mazes at all. So...just pretend I never played one, is eo4 still something I should try first? I imagine I'll snag both right away but I can only find one copy of each game hours of travel time in opposite directions or something...

Just to note I like EO3 but it was noticeably less fun to me than 1 and 2, which were roughly equal to each other, not sure if EO4 continues in a direction 3 started that some people may favor or whatever.

theshirn

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 06:52:07 AM »
EO4 is the cleanest and easiest of the series, both as a whole and to get into.  Plus you can do stupid things like 5 medics and still win (do not do this).  I'd say go with that.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 07:34:53 AM »
EO4 is the cleanest and easiest of the series, both as a whole and to get into.  Plus you can do stupid things like 5 medics and still win (do not do this).  I'd say go with that.
EO4 should absolutely be picked up.  Some really hardcore fans of the series prefer Untold Classic, but I'll argue EO4 is the best in the series (and certainly far more friendly to newer players.  Go ahead and play it on Normal - it's easier early than most EO games but will be just as difficult as others at the end [hell more difficult in many cases]).  EOU Classic is a definite improvement over EO1 though in terms of game balance even if you never touch Story, but it's still EO1 and suffers from one or two really awkward things (Grimoires arguably are better ignored, some content is story-only or requires clearing story first to have in classic).

EO4's just got a lot of design decisions that just make it really, really fun - lots of build variety with far less worthless skills/trap skills/skill sinks etc., really smooth difficulty curve, still batshit insane postgame, etc.; also I think its soundtrack is one of my favourites in any game ever.

Also I'll one up that "5 medic" with "3 dancer" (which I did) and "1 fortress" (which a friend of mine did dear lord the final boss took like 200 turns).  Then again I've seen challenge runs of literally every EO game (Ronin/Hexer EO1, War Magus/Gunner EO2, Wildling Solo EO3, Fortress Solo EO4, Dark Hunter Solo EOU - for the curious).

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 08:46:46 AM »
Finally watched the trailer for EOX. The good: You can play as classes from all four games released so far (except the Untold cast, which is kinda sad). The bad: The difficulty curve. The only Mystery Dungeon games I've played so far are the Pokemon ones, which are either annoying as hell if you don't cheese them and laughably easy if you do...Mostly because you could just stockpile Reviver Seeds and run through the dungeon with no regard for your own life :V I hope they allow item gathering like the original game, that should make things a little more risky and challenging, just like EO should be.

Speaking of which...Finally dug into PQ today. I like it so far! The Boost system takes some getting used to, but with Rei's SP regen and zero-cost skills, it makes most normal encounters much easier. Haven't tried the FOEs yet (why they didn't add the red/orange/blue auras like in EO4/EOU is a mystery to me), but you're encouraged to fill out the map on each floor just like in EOU
Spoiler:
because you get items for hitting 100% on a floor
. My only gripe is that you can't set the automap floor color to anything other than gray, you have to paint it in yourself.

The dialogue is just as hilarious as ever, I can't wait for the two casts to meet up...And for the quests to unlock. :D

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 12:12:26 PM »
I think I understand why everyone calls Naoto broken.

EDIT: As far as Persona Q DLC goes:
*December 2nd we should get the second free subpersona download (Orpheus Telos, I think it was?), and paid Thanatos and Magatsu Izanagi if you want
*December 9th we should get Elizabeth and Theodore navigators
*December 16th we should get Marie and Nanako (!!!) navigators

The navigators are functionally identical to the others, they're just different voice overs, but yeah.  Nanako navigator.  ;-;
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 12:22:39 PM by Garlyle »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »
Is it sad that my interest in the game practically doubled with the words "Nanako navigator"

I can see it now:
"There's an enemy, guys! Fighting is bad, so don't get hurt okay?"
"Big Bro! Your face is scratched! Guys, please heal him...."

"The entrance to the next floor is ahead."
"Nanako, this is Junes."
"You mean that's not where we were going? :( "
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:31:00 PM by Madoka Kanamatsuri »

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 06:28:42 PM »
Nanako as a navigator??? YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!! -flails-

Edit:
Spoiler:
Kaguya is free DLC on Persona Q level 16 with Lunar Blessing as her unique skill which Nullifies 1 attack for 3 turns.
  AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:10:59 PM by MewMewHeart »