Author Topic: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?  (Read 213591 times)

aranicar

• The Expressive Poker Face
  • Wasting time again
Re: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2014, 03:22:21 AM »
Currently:
Monthly Girls? Nozaki-kun < very enjoyable characters and comedy
Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club! < I really like the lead and the narrator is awesome
Sword Art Online II < just for the action and trap goodness

Need to catch up on:
Saki
Lucky Star
Day Break Illusion
The World is Still Beautiful
One Week Friends

To anyone looking for an anime to watch, I would recommend (more recommended up top):
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (I would also recommend Rebellion, after finishing it I was speechless for 15 min.  Make sure you finish the main series though)
No Game No Life
Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
The World God Only Knows
Kill la Kill
A Certain Scientific Railgun
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Log Horizon

If anyone has a Crunchy account, I have some extra guest passes that I can give out.

They still haven't changed the Canada flag to US.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2014, 03:32:27 AM »
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Only the first season. The second was just...ugh imo

aranicar

• The Expressive Poker Face
  • Wasting time again
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2014, 03:47:10 AM »
Only the first season. The second was just...ugh imo

I liked both seasons, but the first one really was better than the second one.

They still haven't changed the Canada flag to US.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2014, 05:15:44 AM »
The biggest problem I had was both the amount of useless filler episodes and how they bullshit changed the ending from the light novel.

There's also the part where Shichimiya got shat on like mad but that's just my own general opinion that got me frustrated.

Anyways I'm watching Hanayamata right now and it's really cute and enjoyable. Now I get to learn about Yasakoi from one of the biggest weaboos I've seen in anime.

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2014, 07:30:11 PM »
Add to the list:
CLANNAD: Fu-chan!!!! :qq:
SAO II: Lol Kirito.
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei: can't stop laughing. Poor Kuroe...
Mwahahahahha!

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2014, 07:44:18 PM »
Today I read Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan. It's great and it's 8 chapters so you have no excuses here.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2014, 10:13:01 PM »
Finished Railgun last night. It was fine. Slightly less than the sum of its parts, but watchable enough that I watched way more of it than I usually do of anything, and in a pretty short time. The ending wasn't very satisfying so I guess I'm reading it now too. Should I bother starting from the beginning, or should I pick up where the anime ends?
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Massaca

• すやぁ...
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »
Watched Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya last night and tonight. It was alright and I enjoyed it. Caught up on Zwei afterwards and oh boy, will be sticking with this. But I do hope they
Spoiler:
properly go for Illya x Miyu in the end. End of first season and Zwei so far are teasing me too much dammit >_<

And I ended up watching Locodol eps 2 and 3 on the third week and decided to stick with it. It's alright too.

Also not anime but I just watched Ch. 1 and 2 of RWBY volume 2... The wrong way around >_> but I'm quite glad it turned out that way. First volume I waited until the BD (and then a few weeks after) to watch it despite being more hyped for it than anything else ever. And as such was left with terribly shattered expectations but still enjoyed it. Thinking I'll be watching this as it comes, well I'll try to anyway. Not expecting the greatest action scenes to ever be seen from it anymore so should be fun.

Koog

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2014, 02:40:56 AM »
Time to add to the list:
Shingetsutan Tsukihime. - It's pretty darn great! Arc looked sinister at the beggining (she's a vampire after all).
Pok?mon - The Origins. - the only anime of Pok?mon I like (just because I like the games.)
CLANNAD After Story. - Finished watching CLANNAD in a day! Also, now Fuko is in my avatar and my signature.
Spoiler:
NAGISA!! I'm going to kill the writer!!
Mwahahahahha!

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2014, 02:58:30 PM »
Finished Railgun last night. It was fine. Slightly less than the sum of its parts, but watchable enough that I watched way more of it than I usually do of anything, and in a pretty short time. The ending wasn't very satisfying so I guess I'm reading it now too. Should I bother starting from the beginning, or should I pick up where the anime ends?

IMO read from the beginning, the anime changed quite a few things and added a filler arc. If you haven't watched season 2, I implore you to only watch ep.2-16, since those are the notfiller episodes. (oh, and look up Cloverfield/Nagai Space on the Index/Railgun wiki)

Shingetsutan Tsukihime. - It's pretty darn great! Arc looked sinister at the beggining (she's a vampire after all).
[/spoiler]

NO. NO NO NO NO NO
THE TSUKIHIME ANIME DOES NOT EXIST.

OT: Watching basically everything from this season, save for a few shows. Nozaki, Tokyo Ghoul, and Rokujouma are AOTS so far.
Also playing catch-up on Fairy Tail S1 and Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Normal 1ccs - EOSD, PCB, SA
Extra 1ccs - PCB

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2014, 05:38:11 PM »
Started Psycho Pass a few days ago finally. Seems fine. Also been watching Aldnoah.Zero, which has been very good so far.

IMO read from the beginning, the anime changed quite a few things and added a filler arc. If you haven't watched season 2, I implore you to only watch ep.2-16, since those are the notfiller episodes. (oh, and look up Cloverfield/Nagai Space on the Index/Railgun wiki)

I watched all of season two. Aside from the last episode being a mess that arc everyone hates didn't strike me as being that off. Plus it had more Shinobu, which I was allkay with. :V And it seemed like it had some semi-major character stuff, although I assume that got moved to somewhere else in the anime or something. Anyway, I'll start from the beginning.

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2014, 10:42:54 AM »
Well, I'd been watching Attack on Titan recently, but I still don't understand what all the fuss is about... Ok, mankind's on the edge of extinction from a bunch of giant humanoids, they try to fight back, and there's some kid who can transform into a titan because he got experimented on by his dad... Not exactly the stuff of legends, I'd have to say.

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »
Well, I'd been watching Attack on Titan recently, but I still don't understand what all the fuss is about... Ok, mankind's on the edge of extinction from a bunch of giant humanoids, they try to fight back, and there's some kid who can transform into a titan because he got experimented on by his dad... Not exactly the stuff of legends, I'd have to say.
Ditto on this. Reading around, I couldn't find much reason for the popularity other than HYPE.
The plot was twisty-turny and all that, but had more than a few holes..characters died off too fast for me to remember their names...and the MCs had plot armor.

Extra 1ccs - PCB

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2014, 03:47:13 PM »
Ditto on this. Reading around, I couldn't find much reason for the popularity other than HYPE.
The plot was twisty-turny and all that, but had more than a few holes..characters died off too fast for me to remember their names...and the MCs had plot armor.

well, the Anime had good animations, lots of actions, lots of dead people, German in the Intro Song :V

« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2014, 04:54:04 PM »
Only watching Fairy Tail atm, i hope Magi comes back with a 3rd Season soon xD

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »

Personally I liked the way it was paced... When it was well-paced. And much of the time it wasn't. But when it was its most fun to watch it was because it achieved that pace/narrative drive/level of detail balance that anime sometimes hits but can rarely maintain.

iPetalchaser

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »
Planning to rewatch Sora no Woto soon™.  Also need to clear some room to read the Non Non Biyori manga, because its... well... Nyanpassu!
Also, i have been missing out on the second season of Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! for way too long...

Don't know why i watched it, but the thing i liked most about Shingeki no Kyojin were the Potatoes...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:05:10 PM by iPetalchaser »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2014, 04:18:24 AM »
I'm almost done with Psycho Pass, so I went to Wikipedia to look up Gen Urobuchi to try to decide which of his shows to watch next. Turns out I'm already watching one. I had no idea he was involved in Aldnoah.Zero. What a cool guy.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »
I started to watch Jojo's Bizarre adventures from 2012, it is awesome. Now I know how to read the WHRRRRRYYYY. Jojo! Jojo! ♪
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Koog

« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2014, 06:15:15 PM »
Started the manga of Tsukihime, you're right. Anime doesn't exist.
Also watched the whole Carnival Phantasm, if you're looking for laughs with TYPE-MOON characters, then watch it.
Mwahahahahha!

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2014, 08:25:23 PM »
Carnival Phantasm is the best thing ever.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2014, 09:32:48 PM »

Berserker out shopping was the best skit.

Koog

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2014, 01:18:45 AM »
BERSERCAR!!!
I also loved how Lancer died in every episode.
I also loved Hisui in ep 2.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 01:21:33 AM by KogasaxNue »
Mwahahahahha!

« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
Currently watching Space Dandy S2, Yugioh Arc-V, and 2wei, along with various stuff in my backlog. I'll probably pick up more things from this season if I ever decide to not be lazy.

« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2014, 05:29:46 PM »
SEASON 4! SEASON 4!
...pls? ;;

Extra 1ccs - PCB

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »
Finished Psycho Pass, so I started watching Suisei No Gargantia. Is it just me, or is this show terrible? I watched the first three and was really bored. Does it pick up at some point, or should I give up?

Also finally gave FLCL a second shot. The guy who introduced me to anime tried to show it to me as my second ever anime and I was confounded by it. My current roommate wanted me to try again now that I've seen more different stuff, and I'm still confounded by it. All that changed was that now I'm pretty sure it's the pacing, more than the content, that confuses me so much. It's short though, so I'm probably going to finish it regardless. Maybe I'll figure it out in later episodes.

« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2014, 04:59:32 AM »
Finished Psycho Pass, so I started watching Suisei No Gargantia. Is it just me, or is this show terrible? I watched the first three and was really bored. Does it pick up at some point, or should I give up?

Also finally gave FLCL a second shot. The guy who introduced me to anime tried to show it to me as my second ever anime and I was confounded by it. My current roommate wanted me to try again now that I've seen more different stuff, and I'm still confounded by it. All that changed was that now I'm pretty sure it's the pacing, more than the content, that confuses me so much. It's short though, so I'm probably going to finish it regardless. Maybe I'll figure it out in later episodes.

Gargantia starts promising, delves into low-tier SOL for the majority of the middle, and picks up again at the end. It's your call.
I'll never understand FLCL.

Extra 1ccs - PCB

Koog

« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »
Final Thoughts:
Clannad & After Story:  :qq: Cried over 3 times, I think it's true, if you don't cry you're heartless...
Carnival Phantasm: EPIC!!
Love Live: It was fun and ended quite nice.
Mwahahahahha!

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
FLCL is basically Kill la Kill but instead of life fibers it's NO portals

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2014, 02:29:08 PM »
So I just started and got caught up on this really bizarre manga called Arachnid. It's a bit hard to read at first, with a strangely emptying-depressing atmosphere and unnecessary fan service in the beginning (with a few NSFW panels, these being the hardest bits. The beginning in general has a heavy creepy rapey guys sort of theme, kind of like stuff you'd find in post-apocalyptic stuff), but the coolness of the MC's weapon should keep you reading for a bit. Also, the MC is named Alice and uses a jackknife thing that can detach its blade. The thing is that this manga has a HUGE bug motif/theme going on, the MC's being a spider. Her knife-thing shoots out the blade end, to which it remains attached via an infinite spool of spider thread. If you haven't guessed, Alice's bug motif is a spider.... Arachnid, title drop. So it's interesting, especially for us, since she kind of looks like our resident rainbow puppeteer and even uses the threads like marionette strings.
So why should you keep reading?
The premise becomes more and more ridiculous, especially past chapter 18 or so when the first arc kicks in. What starts as a sort of theme just goes off the far end into sheer ludicrousness, into the realm of extremes. In a Kill la Kill sort of way. There's also a character in it who's the biggest Kamen Rider chuuni I've seen in manga/anime yet. And a character who has a COCKROACH theme... and she's a girl. In fact, the characters in general kind of have a Touhou-esque-quasi-expy-ness to them.
If you can get past the beginning creepy NSFW bits, then you get to experience your suspension of disbelief-shoulders getting dislocated. Then you set them back in and accept, only for the next chapter to re-dislocate them again anyway with new ridiculousness.

TLDR; A random story about Wikipediac anthromorphic bugs (mostly girls +2 chuuni Kamen Rider nerds) thrown into a pit against each other.

Also, I recommend Mangahere.co because of its tsukkomi system where you get to post comments on the manga pages; kind of like a static niconico, except instead of groping your way through the site trying to register an account in Japanese, you just need to type in a simple Captcha key. Comments are pretty golden. A few shitposts now and then, but its the internet full of humans, what do you expect.

edit:
Ah, there's another one I forgot about: Cahe [sic] Detective Club. The title is based on the MC's inability to properly pronounce 'Cafe' 「カフェ」, becoming 'Cahe'「カヘ」. It's similar to the likes of multi-story segment chapters like Azumanga Daiou, in that each chapter is separated into a slice-of-life-y comedy shorts. But with a little more emphasis on linear progression of events. I avoid 'story', because of no plot, like many in the genre. I read it just for some light-hearted comedy and fun. It's nothing super exciting or amazing, but it features references to stuff I like (more on that later) and even a cute, rather original (compared to typical manga/anime), romance between two main characters.
The premise is basically that the school only has space for one more club, and 5 freshman girls each have different ideas. They decide to just create one giant detective-gaming-tokusatsu-dress up-cooking cafe. If you couldn't deduce already, those were the primary defining traits of each of the main cast girls. I like mysteries, games, Kamen Rider, maid outfits, food, and the cafe is a fairly amusing Local Hangout spot, so all is well with me. Obviously this is where the references come from, though most of the comedy comes from character quirks (which is granted, given the genre once again). Interactions between the characters drive the comedy and is actually pretty fun to follow along with. Especially because of how much of a little troll the MC is.
It's actually kind of therapeutic in its light-heartedness. The completely ineffectual fanservice is pretty parodical. I do recommend.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:04:06 PM by Mea »
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour