Author Topic: Lunacy Star STG ~ Indefinitely Tabled ~  (Read 49086 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Re: Lunacy Star 0.69 (8-stage Touhouesque in the works)
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2011, 07:20:27 PM »
Because GM only supports ASCII 0 - 255 and not Unicode, I'm saving all of the translated phrases into images that will be loaded and displayed, rather than rendering text.

Yukari-Chan

• Excuse me while I prepare /your/ demise. <3 TSO
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2011, 07:52:46 PM »
Ah, I see. Oh well, best of luck. Maybe I'll try the game before I judge it.
" Borders are Borders. They were meant to be manipulated and mistreated. "

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »
Please do. And if you find that it isn't to your liking, I would gladly listen to any suggestions you have before 1.0 is released.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2011, 03:21:46 AM »
An announcement
Due to my circumstances at home, the next and hopefully not final version I release will be 0.8 soon, rather than 1.0 late January.
This will happen after the completion of the final boss. (Currently ~60%)
0.8 will not allow access to the Zero Stage, the Extra Stage, the Config menu, saving replays, or gamepad support.

What 0.8 will have is some amount of updated graphics, access to the fifth and sixth player shottypes, and all of the main game (stages 1 - 6) available for continous play and clearance.
Stage 6 will be unlocked in Practice (only stage 5 is now), and you won't have to have cleared/seen a stage to begin it in Practice.
Unfortunately, there are no backgrounds for stages 5 or 6.

Ideally, since there should be no changes made to the standard game, all scores from 0.8 should be compatible with scores from 1.0.
Due to the new shottypes, however, all 0.69 scores will be rendered obsolete, and will be deleted when you try to boot a newer version.
(Don't think this is a bug because the game closes itself if there's a savefile error...)

And... I think that's it.
Thanks for all of your support, everyone...

Zil

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2011, 10:41:34 PM »
Are you changing the diagonal movement to be equal to the horizontal? I strongly recommend it if you aren't. Personally I'd be enabled to play the super tough difficulties, and I'd think that most people are more familiar with that kind of movement.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2011, 11:01:07 PM »
Oh, no, that was fixed as soon as you mentioned it.

I uh, don't feel a difference, however.
It's like... a 0.6px change :V

I just added some attacks (woot final boss) that require you to have faith in the hitboxes (lolololol that means micrododging in a game full of fast bullets) so I'm sure it'll have helped /some/ people.

I've also fixed/added some other points.

Someone on another board talked about his deathbombing habit leading him to expend a bomb right after expiring.
So now there's a one second wait.

Widescreen settings have been implemented, but don't work, unfortunately. I'm working at fixing it soon.

Scoring leans more heavily on point items now (I just got to drive their value up to 71,000 each during overdrive mode today...), which might be a good thing or a bad thing.

And some quirks from 0.69 have been addressed.

Such as the bug that results from hitting Escape on a Game Over screen.

Still haven't figured out the ones-digit-isn't-zero thing. And...
I think that's it.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »
Zil, that diagonal business may or may not have been fixed. I certainly can't tell.

HEY LOOK IT'S A NEW VERSION
http://www.host-a.net/u/Chisou/LunacyStar%200.8.zip

New things include graphics and

oh yeah stages 4 - 6

MY HIGHSCORE CHALLENGES FOR THE LOT OF YA STILL STAND

Calm
Standard
Rage
Lunacy

None of them are clears because I suck at this game
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:25:26 PM by Chisou Taizen »

Trickysticks

• What am I? TRICKYSTEAKS I AM!
  • A stick of the tricky variety.
Re: Lunacy Star 0.8 (Full 6 stages out now!)
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
Congratulations! Developer Rank 2!

Anyway, will play and judge
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »
Alright, so remembering how annihilated I was on hard/normal on v.69, I went to easy.

Stage 1:Those green fast bullets are ridiculous.  I died to them.
Stage 2:Pretty good.
Stage 3:The boss has very little balance, we go from easy stuff to some what is this on the third to last, before a BoLaD thing that walled me, before a Red Frog thing that I was forced to time out.
Stage 4:I hate those zig-zag bullets, Every time they showed up I bombed or died.  The sideways enemies are kind of cheap.  Whatever the streaming Hydra fleet was (with the lasers) killed me twice because lasers spawned on me and activated before I could react, I aced the rest of the fight.  Stage 4 easy should not kill me 4 times blind.
Stage 5:Pretty good, except the last 2 boss attacks, and also the one with the boss moving back and forth.  I timed that out, and the last 2 boss attacks are too hard for an easy mode.
Stage 6:The stage was fine until the end (except the intro), right before the boss.  The boss itself...I game overed to laser 'sine'.  Snow 'sine' lasts way too long, I dodged it for a full minute before dying.  The lasers have enough warning here, but it's like Yuuka's spark in LLS-I thought I was safe but I died because it took up more space then I thought.  The midboss is also pretty cheap, with its precision dodging.  I had flashbacks to Mima at the end of SoEW; not a good thing.

Ok...went to Stage 6 stage practice, didn't get through it.  Snake Sine is too hard for easy, the 5th thing was too easy, and the transformation stuff I saw was complete BS.  Honestly, I think the reason none of your scores are 1ccs isn't because you suck at this game, it's because this game is pretty much impossible!

Basically, easy mode is more like normal, a few attacks I had to dodge next to nothing while others were pretty much impossible.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2012, 11:36:02 PM »
Ok...went to Stage 6 stage practice, didn't get through it.  Snake Sine is too hard for easy, the 5th thing was too easy, and the transformation stuff I saw was complete BS.  Honestly, I think the reason none of your scores are 1ccs isn't because you suck at this game, it's because this game is pretty much impossible!

Basically, easy mode is more like normal, a few attacks I had to dodge next to nothing while others were pretty much impossible.
That's what i was afraid of. Cmon dude! Make some really easy mode so everyone can enjoy your game! ;)
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2012, 11:48:57 PM »
Ahaha... The game has a number of survival cards, you didn't "time them out."

Stage 2: Fourth Attack - Small Trap 15 seconds
Stage 3: Seventh Attack - Light Tackle 36 seconds
Stage 4: Seventh Attack - Spirit of Hydra 40 seconds
Stage 5: Second Midboss - Second Attack - Dimensional Holes 12 seconds
Stage 6: Second Boss - Fifth Attack - Resonance 35 seconds

I was afraid all the post-stage-3 stuff would be crazy. This is really the first time anyone has given me feedback on any of it.

Snow Sine has some 56,000 HP, I think.
I guess that was one of those "ignored middle child" moments because
Death Sine used to have 70,000 HP,
Laser Sine used to have 70,000 HP,
Snake Sine used to have 80,000 HP,
And Lightspeed Lunagun used to have 50,000 HP.

As you may or may not have noticed, all four of those were decreased. A lot. Snow Sine retained it's original HP count :V
I can fix that, totally. 32,000 should be fine.

Consider using the 6D-4 A shottype some time. It's shotgun damage, but at close range it puts out over 4000dps. Focusing causes the familiars to lock position as well. Cheeses so many things.

Difficulty for Snake Sine... Is it a matter of curving lasers?
How would I turn this down...?
Lightspeed Lunagun doesn't shoot any extra bullets on Easy, but it does on S....
Shit, I just realized that people are probably going to gripe about white tiny bullets among white enormous bullets.

The second form of the Lunacy Star...
The first attack is probably it's hardest... I should fix that...
But then there's the erratic BoWaP clone that is the second attack... and then there's the incredibly simple and easy third attack...

You see, this is what playtesters like y'all are for!
All my IRL friends suck too much to test it :V
(As in... Game Overs to the Idiot Box on Easy Practice...)

Ancient Guardian's final and semifinal, "The Final Plea of the Guardian" and "Solitude: Divine Protection"

Oh, no, I completely agree.

The 5th boss final is ridiculous on higher difficulties.
But Divine Protection didn't seem that difficult to me? On Easy I mean. (It's evil on Hard in particular...)
Let's see...

Second midboss, stage 6, "precision dodging?"
You mean Rainy Season, right? I can make that easier.
Or Macro Circle.

What was wrong with the stage 6 intro?

Stage 4:
The sideways enemies' hitboxes are turned off, but so is the distance to player check.
I turned it on, but turned it back off after it was producing really large gaps.

Stage 3...
Schizophrenic difficulty?
Circle Shot is basic.
Blue Droplets is basic.
Inconsistent Splitting is basic.
Deadly Grid is static.
Converge Cube is streaming.
Release Ruin is a BoLaD clone, yes, but where'd you get walled? I've never gotten walled on it..
Light Tackle is aimed at you, and the red bullets are randomised.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:31:59 AM by Chisou Taizen »

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2012, 04:49:40 AM »
Alright just played all the stages (not in one playthrough though, i game overed in stage 4 on easy). Now the game is a bit big to go into all my specific critiques, but I have to say one general trend that stuck out in my mind while playing. A LOT of the game's bullets are just too fast. Now this may just by me sucking terribly at fast moving bullets, but I noticed more so in your game than any other I've played, that the patterns with slow moving bullets were just about the right difficulty for easy mode. However, it was all of the patterns with high bullet speeds that I thought were far too hard for easy mode, and sometimes even normal. I highly suggest just slowing down most of the patterns that have high speed bullets. This is just a general suggestion for the game mind you. I would more specific critiques, but for now it seems as though Ihavenoname has already done that, so a lot of what I say now will be redundant. I'll probably review this more in-depth later (perhaps after an update).

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2012, 05:29:57 AM »
Well okay :V

The game is for y'all to enjoy anyway.
With moderation, hand over a list of every attack that needs modification, from speed, to rate of fire to, I don't know, acceleration?
If it can't be done then I'll explain why and try to find some compromise.

I... was really hoping that the next update would be 1.0, but if something goes on, I don't know version 0.9 or something. Really hoping I don't have to, but it'll probably be better if it's full of "fixed" danmaku.

So I guess, on my fix list right now includes:

Stage 1
Storm Danmaku - make slower

Stage 2
Joy: Assault Rush - make easier

Stage 3
Starry Trap (Lunatic) - remove blindspot
Entombing Cross - remove walling tendency
Apathy: Deadly Grid - make easier
Science: Converge Cube (All difficulties) - make less impossible
Catharsis: Release Ruin (Standard) - make easier

Stage 4
Mysterious Angular Rain (All difficulties) - make easier
Trick Formation - lengthen laser wait time

Stage 5
Solitude: Divine Protection - make easier
The Final _______ of the Guardian - make easier

Stage 6
Surprise: Macro Circle (Easy) - make slower
Torment: Rainy Season - make less dense
Snow Sine: Blizzard Bullet - lessen HP
Snake Sine: Curves Barrage (Easy, Standard) - make easier, lessen HP
Lightspeed Lunagun (Easy) - make harder
First Trial: Disbelief - less bullshit
First Trial: Denial - less bullshit
Third Trial: Torment - make harder
Fourth Trial: Depression - less bullshit
Fifth Trial: Resonance - less bullshit
Fifth Trial: Realization - slower
Sixth Trial: Acceptance - make harder
Sixth Trial: Embracement - make slower
Lunacy Star Supernovae (Easy) - make harder

Anything else? Open to all suggestions!
And they have to be specific- not just "slow everything down," I mean the attack name and difficulty.
And it would be excellent if people would check out the higher difficulties :V

GOD DAMN IT I DIED ON THE LAST CARD BEFORE THE FINAL BOSS

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:49:39 PM by Chisou Taizen »

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »
Congrats on the improvements! Thee Kitty is happy >:3

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »
Thank you.

I also found some other problems.

The highscores setup from the main menu only shows you the scores up to the Rage difficulty for the Gear Axis or so.
That's because the highscore table ID for Rage Gear Axis B is 24- the old limit before I added the new ship and expanded to 36 high score tables.
But it isn't serious.

I'm removing the sound from the Ancient Guardian's first attack, as well.

Probably moving the Overdrive indicator to the side of the playfield kind of like how DDP does it.

Also, I've calculated the highest bonus possible in Overdrive to be 89 million points. That is, were the Charge actually capped at 999.
I don't know if it's possible. Cookies to anyone capable of showing me a legitimate charge counter out of 999 or more~
I got the counter in Standard up to 615 (Point Item = 56k+), where card captures add 3 Max Charge. Lunacy card captures add six.
(I captured 30 attacks.)
The rest of the Max Charge comes from killing enemies, grazing bullets, stage progression, and I think that's it.

402,000,000 is a new high score ~
That's worth Rank 94... I'm certain I could break 100 and 1CC the game if I sucked less...
I had three bombs in stock and was only 1000 points from the 8000 extend...

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2012, 08:15:28 PM »
That's a lot of problems. I'll just wait for all of them to be fix before I download then.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »
Wh... where's the problem?

I mentioned the high score viewer bug.
And the sound issue during Stationary Giant.

And then talked about making the display fancier, and then about score, which weren't really issues.

Unless you mean the list of things I'll have to edit, in which case knock yourself out.

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2012, 11:20:05 PM »
I am meaning the problems your listing. Is there a Phantasm? I've only played till Stage 3. Other than that, Good work!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2012, 11:52:16 PM »
Okay, then.

There is not a Phantasm.
It goes Stage 0, Stages 1-6, Extra Stage.

I would count the sub-game, but I don't believe it qualifies.
What sub-game? Scroll to the bottom of the music room for details.

Thank you and thanks for playing~

Zil

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2012, 12:24:03 AM »
Ok, played easy to re-familiarize myself, but I'll give the higher difficulties a shot soon.

So far the difficulty seemed mostly consistent. Admittedly it's higher than what a Touhou player might expect from easy mode, but it seems consistent, like I said. A few problems I found:

Stage 2 boss's first spell seems like it can put bullets on top of you. It never happened to me, but it seems like it could.
"In Your Face" takes a really long time. There's no chance of timing it out, but it still takes much longer than most spells.
That spell with the green bullets and and the circle that forms around you was quite difficult, though very awesome. I guess it's your call if you want to make that easier, I have to face it on the harder difficulties anyway though.
The battle cubez first spell lasted about 2 seconds. Maybe give that more health or something.
When the spell where it chases you ends, it shoots back to the top of the screen. It almost hit me when it did that, which would have felt kinda cheap if it had happened. Though maybe the hitbox isn't active or something, idk becuase it didn't actually hit me, just looked like it could've.
The stage 4 midboss's attacks felt very freakin difficult, though there might be a "trick" I didn't see. The boss was a little easy. (but this is easy mode so whatever)
Stage 5 one of the midboss spells seemed to have very little hp
Sabers of Flame I ended up timing out, but I was going in circles around the boss.
Rainbow things in stage 6 seemed completely impossible.
Angle Blaster was impossible to capture because the box kept moving over and the timer doesn't last long.
Snow Sine was total hell.
So was Disbelief
Resonance timed out before I could kill it.

All that was easy mode. Mostly 5 and 6 is where the difficulty starts getting wacky. I'll see about the other modes.

Also, in general: The hitbox goes off the bottom of the screen, it's hard to stay under the boss when they move around a lot, the time given for spells is very unforgiving. I'm getting used to the diagonal thing, possibly from playing Battle Garegga, though I'd still like it more if it weren't like that.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2012, 01:06:38 AM »
So I haven't fixed the diagonal business? Hmm, sorry. I put the code in, I'll have to double-check.
I'm just going to like push the player boundaries a couple pixels in because this isn't the first time I've heard of hitboxes touching the border being a problem
Extending every non-survival timer again, looks like. I'll try by ten seconds this time instead of five.

Stage 2
Those familiars in the opener have distance checks, the bullets won't spawn on you. Just next to you.
In Your Face already has one of the lowest HP counts for attacks among stage bosses, although I see where you're coming from.
Assault Waves was going to be easier, but I screwed up somewhere on the for loop apparently.

Stage 3
Circle Shot usually lasts about thirteen seconds for me, or six under Overdrive. You must have been doing some serious distance hax with 6D4 A shottype or something :V
Regarding tackle card: That's happened to me numerous times, but it doesn't appear as though the hitbox is active then. Which is odd, because I didn't program it that way.

Stage 4
Mysterious Angular Rain on Easy is the only one where they continue to shake on their way down. The shake cooldown is several seconds long on higher difficulties and you're expected to camp out in the empty columns the "rain" forms.
Deathcircles is something I struggle with, mainly for the rotation the bullets do after converging. But eh :V
Hydra Fleet boss is much more serious on higher difficulties.

Stage 5
It won't help not to know which one? The four midboss spells are Sparse Stream, Resentment Misdirection Mysterious Magical Mirror, and Dimensional Holes. The latter two I can't modify an awful lot due to timing out / boss appearance conflictions.
Sabers of Flame / Lightning: Yeah, circling is really only possible on Easy. It's also not what you're supposed to do :]

Stage 6
Rainbow death fairies: That's because I probably made the divisor for the direction too high, causing the bubble bullets to not spread far enough, right? I've made a note of it.
Angle Blaster: I'll have to impose caps on it's movement because right now it's random :/
Snow Sine: Geez, I hope this isn't what kills everyone. I only have so much nerf to go around.
Disbelief: I have problems with it too. BELIEVE IT OR NOT HOWEVER I HAVE ACTUALLY CAPPED IT BEFORE AND IT WAS GLORIOUS :*
(I immediately began to cry though because that meant my probable card history on an Easy mode attack is 1 / 60)
Resonance: Survivaaaaal :V There's a trick to it. I'm trying to figure out what it is, because I can't seem to predict where that large flow of green bullets gets tossed.

I know you didn't mention it, but I think the Sixth Trial for the final boss is too easy and will be fixing that momentarily.

Wait, does this mean you cleared the game?

Before I ever did?

Zil

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2012, 01:36:49 AM »
Oh no I game overed in stage 5 and then went to stage practice. I can probably clear it though, on Easy. We'll see about Normal. Also, you can easily tell if the diagonal thing is fixed because holding the down arrow when you're at the bottom of the screen should slow you down. (Because you're really moving diagonally but not going down at all.) I use that trick in Touhou all the time. Of course, if I'm the only person who minds it then you don't have to change it I guess.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2012, 04:48:00 AM »
Ah, okay.

I can still fix it, though.

Also, for those of you who still might be struggling (which I doubt because your problems here are the danmaku and not the control like everyone else) there is a write-up on gameplay and scoring here.

Trickysticks

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2012, 05:13:14 PM »
Uh, well I think I found a bug of sorts.

Using the Wanderer's mine bomb on Nategasa obliterated her lifebars and then....

So, yeah.

Edit: It even continued through to the battle cubes. Entombing Circle Shot!
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2012, 05:57:51 PM »
God damn.

It is... severely unrecommended you do that. I thought I fixed that last time but I guess I forgot the check for the mine objects.

If you capture Circle Shot with the prompt for Entombing Circle, you get the bonus for Entombing Circle, which is guaranteed to be lower.
You do, however, receive the extra Max Charge from both.

So until I fix that it's your choice what to do :D

Fail it and lose the extra three Max Charge, or capture Circle Shot and lose a potiental 200,000 points.

obliterated her lifebars
Nategasa was given 0.5 second invincibility and wait between her bars, unlike the 4 seconds almost everyone else gets. (Her brother also gets 0.5 seconds. Must be a human thing.)
The 6D4's bomb is not only the strongest at 30,000 damage, but the longest lasting at five seconds.
So um it can do that.

I'd love to edit it, but I love the bomb too much and anyone who says it's less awesome than the others is a liar.

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2012, 07:22:56 PM »
Gay Question, but I've  been playing on windows mode. How do you make it fullscreen.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »
Oh, I forgot to point this out.

Again. >_<

Fullscreen is F4.

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2012, 07:27:29 PM »
Thanks. Like the game. I suck at windows mode so maybe I'll be better at Fullscreen.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2012, 07:43:48 PM »
Oh, no, I can't do windowed mode either.
I probably should have set the default to fullscreen, but I'm not sure if some people would appreciate that?

The config menu is still inoperable, so I have to use hotkeys. Sorry :(

Trickysticks

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2012, 11:28:56 PM »
Oh, and though you probably know this, the same bug I mentioned earlier happens with the Stage 4 Midboss.

Now to give you some feedback...