Author Topic: Team Fortress 8  (Read 83679 times)

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
Re: Team Fortress 8
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
Unless this is some elaborate ZA WARUDO joke involving spy watches, I'm not getting it. :V

(the image is titled zawarudo.png by the way)

I forgot why exactly I made it last night.  :derp:
I still can't reflect direct hits to save my life. It doesn't help that every soldier that uses them seems to have a ping of 300 or more.

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »
Oh man, I figured out how to outsmart the sandvich's cooldown timer.

Now I can eat sandviches whenever I want, and if I throw it I don't even need to look for a medkit. BV

Bananamatic

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Also does anyone play on the UKCS servers?

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »
lol steam servers

@Banana: I'll trade the glove for the mask, but only if my drill helm for modest pile trade goes through with someone else first.  I try to keep at least one hat per class, so if that doesn't go through I'll be down a hat for my favorite class.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2010, 06:26:49 PM »
I still can't reflect direct hits to save my life. It doesn't help that every soldier that uses them seems to have a ping of 300 or more.
What does that have to do with it?  It's not like projectiles are lag compensated.

It's sad, but I don't feel that my aim is improving at all.  It's painfully obvious when I decide to play scout, but it is pretty awful.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2010, 07:20:37 PM »
What does that have to do with it?  It's not like projectiles are lag compensated.

It's sad, but I don't feel that my aim is improving at all.  It's painfully obvious when I decide to play scout, but it is pretty awful.
Good Pyros look for visual cues from the scout, soldier, demoman, pyro, or sniper they're going to reflect from.  When someone's teleporting around randomly that becomes near-impossible.

Bananamatic

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2010, 12:38:08 AM »
What exactly are the cues? I can airblast rockets decently, but only on reflex...

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2010, 01:42:01 AM »
What exactly are the cues? I can airblast rockets decently, but only on reflex...
If you catch him off guard, the soldier looking at you.

If he's already fired four rockets, his reloading (when he touches his hand to the rocket launcher, there'll be a rocket very soon after).

With huntsman snipers, you can tell when they're pulling the string back, and when they've let go of it as well.

For mostly everything you can reflect outside of arrows, you're usually looking for the reload animation and where they're looking.

Bananamatic

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2010, 01:45:11 AM »
Oh, and got my first airshot today, and deflected at that.

Unfortunately, the soldier was ubered. :derp:

Sent him across the map several seconds later though :V

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2010, 03:13:10 AM »
TF2's been crashing like hell since this last update for me.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2010, 03:35:24 AM »
Have you updated your drivers? When TF2 crashes a lot I update my drivers and that always fixes it.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2010, 03:43:28 AM »
Has anyone had these problems:
white screen when cloaking, random white screens everywhere,

Also, for some reason, I can't make it so that e = call for medic and e = toggle team disguise.

made the game unplayable for me.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2010, 03:51:55 AM »
Also, for some reason, I can't make it so that e = call for medic and e = toggle team disguise.

Toggle team disguise was hard coded to E and -. People who moved with ESDF instead of WASD had difficulties with the disguise kit. Now toggle disguise team works just like every other action and it can't share keys. I changed it to Alt, it's at least better than the - key.

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2010, 04:02:31 AM »
Have you updated your drivers? When TF2 crashes a lot I update my drivers and that always fixes it.
I did, it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.

Deleting the tf folder and reinstalling my HUD did, though.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2010, 04:03:31 AM »
Toggle team disguise was hard coded to E and -. People who moved with ESDF instead of WASD had difficulties with the disguise kit. Now toggle disguise team works just like every other action and it can't share keys. I changed it to Alt, it's at least better than the - key.
Aww...lame.I've been trying q, but it hasn't worked to well.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2010, 06:12:30 AM »

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »
[attach=1]

I want skins for this now.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2010, 07:24:22 PM »
http://etf2l.org/videos/view/31528/

this is the fastest way to get to badlands mid as a demoman i know its hard so you might not get it on the first try but keep trying and youll get it eventually

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2010, 11:50:58 PM »
This is the second game on the iPhone that looks like it's trying to be TF2. I know the gameplay for these games are completely different, but that Lost Company group shot, Armed and Dangerous' class portraits, and H.A.V.E.'s trailer looking like the "Meet the Team" videos replaced with toys(it doesn't help that the only male toys look like the Soldier and Demoman) just give people a bad impression and make them think it's a bad TF2 ripoff. I know they might be paying homage/referencing/inspired by TF2, but I think they're taking it too far. If the Lost Company group shot had them in a different pose, Armed and Dangerous class portraits were different, and H.A.V.E. showed only a gameplay trailer instead of the cinematic, there would be less people complaining about them being TF2 ripoffs.

I don't hate these games, but they could be more subtle in their TF2 references. But the portraits for the Grunt and Scout from Armed and Dangerous are blatantly obvious photoshops of the Heavy and Sniper.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 12:03:51 AM by Admiral Skye »

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2010, 11:54:03 PM »
Holy rampart copyright infringement Batman!

I seem to recall there was another game that basically had the same classes just with different names
 and they fought is some kind of battle arena and all looked like foot ball players.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:33:50 AM by Cadmas »

« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2010, 03:07:08 AM »
Holy rampart copyright infringement Batman!

I seem to recall there was another game that basically had the same classes just with different names
 and they fought is some kind of battle arena and all looked like foot ball players.
Monday Fight Night, or something absurd like that.

And oh my god I think I've found the best use for the Wrangler yet.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 05:52:15 AM by Esoterica »

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2010, 04:17:21 AM »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/31280/

I don't even.

Seeing Strong bad next to HWG makes me all fuzzy inside.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2010, 04:52:21 AM »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/31280/

I don't even.

Seeing Strong bad next to HWG makes me all fuzzy inside.
I could do without Tycho, but the rest of them together may make computers explode from awesome.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2010, 11:33:42 AM »
New laptop acquired, Steam folder transfer complete, TF2 running with a decent FPS

Now I need servers to play on.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2010, 01:20:53 AM »
I decided to try the flare gun. I often wished for the shotgun, but flare gun kills just give you a sense of accomplishment.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2010, 03:54:45 AM »
New laptop acquired, Steam folder transfer complete, TF2 running with a decent FPS

Now I need servers to play on.
Add me to friends, stalk me like the plague. BV

I decided to try the flare gun. I often wished for the shotgun, but flare gun kills just give you a sense of accomplishment.
As unbelievably low as the flare gun's damage is, and as slow as both the firing rate and projectile are, the range it gives is just so damn useful.

That's when you know a class is in dire need of a buff; when giving it a 15 DPS tampon launcher improves its usefulness.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2010, 05:23:36 AM »
With all the crit buffs the Flare Gun received, they might as well make it always crit. But seriously, I think they should increase the base damage for the initial hit and maybe lower the burn time, the Flare Gun's damage relies too much on the afterburn which can be negated by absolutely everything, or just make it reload faster. As of right now, if you're good with the Flare Gun you might as well go Sniper.

« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2010, 05:31:58 AM »
With all the crit buffs the Flare Gun received, they might as well make it always crit. But seriously, I think they should increase the base damage for the initial hit and maybe lower the burn time, the Flare Gun's damage relies too much on the afterburn which can be negated by absolutely everything, or just make it reload faster. As of right now, if you're good with the Flare Gun you might as well go Sniper.
I hate how Valve tries to use mini-crits/crits as a fix for everything.  Weapons balanced that way become horribly underpowered when things like random crits, buff banner, kritzkrieg, etc. come into play.

But yeah, base damage of 50 and reload of 1.5s would make it great.  Then long range critflares would be as strong as an uncharged headshot.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2010, 09:15:01 AM »
I was thinking. People claim the reason the flamethrower is so weak is because it is so easy to use. Ignoring the facts that the particle effect causes its own aiming difficulties, that the minigun is not really more difficut to aim with than the flamethrower, that getting into the range where the weapon is effective at all is part of its difficulty of use, and that the ease of getting maximum damage is not important if the maximum damage is terribad, I think two things can be done that make the flamethrower more "challenging" to use in exchange for buffing its capabilities.

1. Reduce the size of the particle hitboxes but increase the spread of them so that the shape of the damage cone stays relatively the same.
2. Make it so that the duration of the afterburn is not a fixed 10 seconds, but that every particle that hits an enemy adds 1 to the duration, starting at 0 (obviously) and increasing to a maximum of 10.

3. In exchange for this, buff the damage of the flame, the damage of the afterburn, and the disorienting capabilities of the afterburn.

Bad players will do less damage. Good players will do more damage. Everyone is happy.

Thoughts?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."