Author Topic: Team Fortress 8  (Read 83680 times)

Team Fortress 8
« on: August 19, 2010, 03:12:05 PM »
If you try to tell me we were adding instead of multiplying I'll cut you.

On-topic: Yay pyro buffs.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: Team Fortress 8
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »
I don't even know.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »
I don't even know.
Good, then we're in agreement. :V

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 03:37:04 PM »
If you try to tell me we were adding instead of multiplying I'll cut you.
't'is awright, mate.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »
wtb meet the medic

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:37:11 PM »
wtb meet the medic
Okay, I'll trade it with you for 64 hats.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 06:50:16 PM »
I made a huntsman sniper mad today. :V

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:39:29 PM »
I have a habit of singling out any snipers using the razorback (but especially huntsman snipers) and killing them with the revolver.  It doesn't matter if I wasn't playing spy to begin with, they just piss me off.

And then the team loses one sniper and gains a pyro :3
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »
I really, really suck at Granary.

Barrakketh

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:58:49 PM »
I really, really suck at Granary.
I tend to go engi or medic on granary, provided we have enough combat classes.

It pisses me off when we have a bunch of retards trying to scout rush when all it takes is a couple of soldiers with medics to quickly get to mid, rape them, and cap the point back.  Were it not for the indoor areas it would be completely possible for the soldiers to beat the scouts to mid.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 10:02:05 PM »
Granary is one of the map I actually like. Its not full of ridiculous demoman spam and you can be useful as a scout.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 10:03:12 PM »
But scout-rushing is so fun...I remember on Badlands my opponents  team complained about how we repeatedly scout-rushed our way to victory.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »
I tend to go engi or medic on granary, provided we have enough combat classes.

It pisses me off when we have a bunch of retards trying to scout rush when all it takes is a couple of soldiers with medics to quickly get to mid, rape them, and cap the point back.  Were it not for the indoor areas it would be completely possible for the soldiers to beat the scouts to mid.
Well, I usually play Scout or Pyro in 6v6, and people freak out if you play Pyro on a map other than Badlands or Gravelpit.  It's a pretty spammy map for scouts too.  Hence, I usually get slaughtered.

Then again, I've still got a terrible habit of being too aggressive as a scout, so that could be my problem.

Barrakketh

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 10:19:15 PM »
Well, I usually play Scout or Pyro in 6v6, and people freak out if you play Pyro on a map other than Badlands or Gravelpit.  It's a pretty spammy map for scouts too.  Hence, I usually get slaughtered.

Then again, I've still got a terrible habit of being too aggressive as a scout, so that could be my problem.
I don't do 6v6 as it's usually boring as all hell for me.  Then again, I don't really care for "competitive" play in general.  I play to have fun with friends, if none of them are on I will usually play something other than TF2.

But scout-rushing is so fun...I remember on Badlands my opponents  team complained about how we repeatedly scout-rushed our way to victory.
Then their team sucked or had bad soldiers and demoman, or a lack of competent soldiers.  A soldier with some practice at rocket jumping for speed should be able to get to the point before the scouts can cap it.  I'll usually start rocket jumping to the spire after the slower classes arrive, and if there's a scout or soldier/demo with me we'll cap it right after our team has capped mid.  I actually don't mind using the Pain Train on that map since it makes for quick spire caps.

If one of the spies on my friend list is playing I can generally rely on them to be waiting on the last point for a spy cap which usually works on the first round.  Whether they prematurely build on the last point in subsequent rounds (plus the number of engineers that do so) and whether the respawn timer works in our favor will dictate whether a spy cap can be successful after that, but a spy and a scout working together can help get shit done.

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 10:42:03 PM »
I don't do 6v6 as it's usually boring as all hell for me.  Then again, I don't really care for "competitive" play in general.  I play to have fun with friends, if none of them are on I will usually play something other than TF2.
I enjoy TF2 as long as my team isn't filled with morons.  That happens less often in 6v6, so I tend to like it a bit more.

Besides, you can do 6v6 with friends. :V

Barrakketh

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
Besides, you can do 6v6 with friends. :V
On a busy night I have more friends on than I could have play in a 6v6 :V

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
Just wondering, how hard is it to spy in 6v6?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 11:39:37 PM »
Just wondering, how hard is it to spy in 6v6?
Generally speaking, you shouldn't even be trying spy in 6v6 unless there's a stalemate; after the first revolver shot, stab, or cloak sound, the other team's going to be  shouting "SPY WATCH YOUR BACK" over voice chat.  Almost every team I've watched in league play uses a spy at least once per game (I've pretty much never seen them in lobbies outside of today when we were dealing with two natascha heavies), but it's the kind of class you're only going to use for one life before switching off to Scout, Sniper, or possibly Pyro.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back.  I've seen teams use combat spies with the DR before.  Lemme see if I can find a video.

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 11:41:19 PM »

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 11:53:10 PM »
Yeah, I can't find that old video of a DR spy tearing it up on freight with the revolver.  I'm guessing the guy got banned from Youtube or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HBstUb9ca0

Worms does it again.
Dammit, beat me to it. :V
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:58:51 PM by Esoterica »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 01:52:43 AM »
I've been having a hard time figuring out how to use the Wrangler efficiently. Maybe I need to stop hiding the sentry and start putting it in more open areas so it will have better shots.

Also, got a Soldier's Stash from a random drop. Not too shabby.

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 05:46:48 AM »
I've been having a hard time figuring out how to use the Wrangler efficiently. Maybe I need to stop hiding the sentry and start putting it in more open areas so it will have better shots.

Also, got a Soldier's Stash from a random drop. Not too shabby.
The wrangler's basically just for when your sentry can't see someone, when it's being outsmarted (i.e. getting edged from a corner), or when it's under heavy fire.

Or for sentry jumping, but that's an entirely different story. :V

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 06:25:15 PM »
Is today really TF2's birthday? It says the release date was on October 10th, at first I thought it switched to the birthday mod in my computer because it's my birthday.

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 06:30:58 PM »
Is today really TF2's birthday? It says the release date was on October 10th, at first I thought it switched to the birthday mod in my computer because it's my birthday.
The official release date was October 10, the beta release was around September 20.  Maybe today's when the alpha started?  I dunno.

Bananamatic

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 10:09:30 PM »
you forgot about the part where I killed you with a low power arrow :V

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
Yay pyro buffs

It's about time.  :smug:

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
It's about time.  :smug:
By "buff" I of course mean the following:

Flamethrower  does -45% damage
Airblast costs 10 ammo
-50 max HP to discourage Pyros from fighting in close range
200 metal added to the class
Homewrecker can now repair friendly buildings
Homewrecker moved from melee slot to primary

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 11:36:12 PM »
Damnit Rule 34. I decided to check out the new avatars page but half the avatars there aren't even related to TF2. There is a "Flag as unrelated to TF2" button, so I decided to spend some time flagging them, until I found that one there. Though it'll probably be a good spray to see people's reaction. But Valve could have actually checked the avatars, it just seems that they said "Oh shit, we forgot we told people to submit avatars in the contributions page. Let's just dump them all in Steam and let everyone else sort them out."

By "buff" I of course mean the following:

Flamethrower  does -45% damage
Airblast costs 10 ammo
-50 max HP to discourage Pyros from fighting in close range
200 metal added to the class
Homewrecker can now repair friendly buildings
Homewrecker moved from melee slot to primary

Sounds about right

Bananamatic

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 11:48:13 PM »
flaregun needs a buff
airblast needs lag compensation
particles need fixing

what about a direct damage flamer debuff, but all flamethrowers doing minicrits from behind?

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 12:07:32 AM »
I'm still waiting for the 'visually noisy' fire. When I see fire on my screen, I see it as an indication that I'm on fire, like the blood next to the healthbar. Not actually annoying. But if someone scratches my back with a wooden sword then ZOMG IM BLIND. Kind of silly really, you'd  think that being on fire would obstruct your vision more than a little cut.

what about a direct damage flamer debuff, but all flamethrowers doing minicrits from behind?
Actually, that's a good idea for the Backburner. Give it back the airblast but it does less damage from the front
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:09:25 AM by Admiral Skye »