Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - the hype is only exceeded by the sheer scale  (Read 4130 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Exploration Livestream record
Survival (Combat) livestream to come in the future.

Just watch it.  Watch it and realise that they spend several minutes showing off New Los Angeles alone as one of the biggest and most detailed city environments I've seen in an RPG ever.  And then realise that's a fraction of one continent.  And then realise that there's five continents. 
Spoiler:
And then learn that they confirmed that those are just the ones available to explore early in the game

Thank god this game is supposed to be released this year.  I can't handle all this hype.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:54:55 PM by Garlyle »

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X - the hype is only exceeded by the sheer scale
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:27:23 PM »
But can I fall off the world in this game?
This is important.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 06:09:03 PM »
Between this for the Wii U and Persona 5 for the PSNew there's some great titles coming out that are just a slap in the face for those who've just been hanging onto their PC's for way too long. x_x

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:31:03 PM »
And just now I realized I haven't finished the original XBC. (ohdear) I think it's an all right game, but I get so used to one character that I never bother to switch out for anyone else to learn their extra skill trees. That, and the bajillion quests one needs to keep track of... I enjoy exploration and all, but sometimes it does get a little overwhelming.

I will keep an eye on this, though! My Wii U could use some more RPGs.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:09:42 PM »
I love everything I'm seeing... except for those faces. It's honestly upsetting! Everything looks so good in this game except for people's faces!! It's been like this since the first glimpses we've gotten of the characters, and I was hoping it was just me needing to get used to them.

Anyway, I'm really digging the monsters we've seen so far. They all look way cool. This game pulls off a great organic-but-alien feel based on what we've seen so far, but it also makes me care less about New LA, which, like, half of the video was dedicated to.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:19:43 PM »
Ugh, I still have yet to complete the first game, not to mention my lack of a Wii-U; the latter problem will not be solved at any point in the foreseeable future.

I wonder if its possible to make a game that is too large in scale (and yes, I'm aware of varying factors, but thats a different discussion topic). I think this'll be a good opportunity to find out.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 01:43:13 AM »
Between this for the Wii U and Persona 5 for the PSNew there's some great titles coming out that are just a slap in the face for those who've just been hanging onto their PC's for way too long. x_x

Hey, maybe we could work something out regarding the former. Between your enthusiasm and Sm4sh, I have to admit the original intrigues me a fair amount. If I ever get it and enjoy it, getting this sequel is not out of the realm of reason.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 12:16:28 PM »
Probably the only reason why I'm hesitating to buy a Wii U.

Also, music by Hiroyuki Sawano. *Eargams Incoming*

I've always been a fan of the Xeno series, ever since I played the first game. Possibly also the first reason why I started to slowly despise Square.
Trivia: Xenogears was discontinued 'cause of Square prioritizing the FF series, which lead Director Takahashi to leave Square and make his own company, Monolith Soft. This was obvious due to the fact how horribly rushed Disc 2 was. Xenogears was episode five of a supposed series of six episodes. Sad, we only got to experienced one. It was a pretty marvelous game for it's time.

So yea, planning on buying a Wii U just 'cause of this.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:23:52 PM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 12:58:46 PM »
Probably the only reason why I'm hesitating to buy a Wii U.
You mean "considering", not "hesitating".

Sorry, semantics. This game is a huge factor in me wanting to buy a Wii U, myself.

Zerviscos

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 02:20:32 PM »
You mean "considering", not "hesitating".

Sorry, semantics. This game is a huge factor in me wanting to buy a Wii U, myself.
Well w/evs, words are words, so long someone can understand it.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 08:58:59 PM »
And I thought the original Xenoblade was big.  I can't wait to punch some of these giant monsters in the face.

Zerviscos

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »
And I thought the original Xenoblade was big.  I can't wait to punch some of these giant monsters in the face.
It's true, it is indeed one of the biggest(if not the biggest) open-ended map size in modern JRPG.

As someone who loves RPG. Makes me glad to have reached this age in gaming. An RPG is simply at it's greatest if you can openly wander around.
Those hipsters who think graphics doesn't matter can go back to their 32-bit consoles. Although I do sometimes miss the "World Map", where you're simply a giant that walk around it.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 03:06:06 PM »
I do hope game mechanics and such aren't as obfuscated this time around.  I'm near the end of the game
Spoiler:
Bionis interior
and it wasn't until the last major Plot Happens that I stumbled upon additional skill trees that are quest locked?  I did what I thought was a fair amount of quests but via sheer dumb luck I either picked the wrong chains, didn't backtrack to another dude to finish a chain, didn't have enough affinity to trigger, didn't move so-and-so to Colony 6, etc etc etc

I like playing games as blind as possible (though I did give in and look up what monsters live where cause eff that) but had I know that quests did unlock skills, and not even endgame quests it seems like a number of these are doable before you get your final party member, I'd have explored more  :(

Zerviscos

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 03:32:59 PM »
I do hope game mechanics and such aren't as obfuscated this time around.  I'm near the end of the game
Spoiler:
Bionis interior
and it wasn't until the last major Plot Happens that I stumbled upon additional skill trees that are quest locked?  I did what I thought was a fair amount of quests but via sheer dumb luck I either picked the wrong chains, didn't backtrack to another dude to finish a chain, didn't have enough affinity to trigger, didn't move so-and-so to Colony 6, etc etc etc

I like playing games as blind as possible (though I did give in and look up what monsters live where cause eff that) but had I know that quests did unlock skills, and not even endgame quests it seems like a number of these are doable before you get your final party member, I'd have explored more  :(
1st Rule of RPGs: Always get sidetracked. Never do the main quest until you're OP enough to tank the MV's ultimate attack, or until you're OP enough to kill MV without a sweat.

I've stuck myself to this rule ever since playing. Sure the main quest's ending battle is anti-climactic, but atleast you got the best equip and party members right? Besides, side quests are more fun anyways. o3o

NEVER EVER FORGET.

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »
Spoiler:
Bionis interior

Each character has two additional skill trees. Dunban's final one is the easiest to get, along with Shulk's: everyone else's is difficult just because you need to be at least high eighties in order to survive the fights.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 06:06:21 AM »
Maybe you were briefly restrained from the hype

but have the Dolls + Online trailer.

I'm so mad that this will be out in Japan in like two weeks but not until... some point... over here... ;-;

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 12:00:26 AM »
I really hope it's not reusing the crafting system: that thing is easily the most boring and tedious part of the original game.