~Beyond the Border~ > Sara's Audio-Visual Import-Overflow Retail

Movies [+ reviews/criticisms etc]

<< < (3/8) > >>

♛ Apher-Forte:
Hmmm...I am not a fan of such world making fantasies it seems, I am not quite interested. Nonetheless, thank you for sharing Contempt.

Well, Star Trek prove to be one of those things I set next to Touhou in a manner of importance, more so because of high the entertainment value is. Are you a fan of starships? Are you a fan of distinct alien personalities? Do you hate Star Wars for its comical depiction of space faring?

If you answer yes to all, then Star Trek is meant for you.

Despite the lack of action in some of the series (seeing that they are often within the confinements of the ship) the stories are always compelling to the watcher. I can see that the movie was big budget and divide by zero storyline yet again ala Borg First Contact movie and V'ger with Star Trek Motion Picture, the whole premise is indeed however, powerful to the watcher.

Nero has zero or lack of personality typical badguy unlike the very distinctive personal potrayal of clone Shinzon of Captain Picard in Nemesis, his part is easily forgotten. However, the show really does direct attention to the brashness that led to the powerful impact of on screen young Kirk, whom is as cocky as he is in his later years despite gaining a beer belly.

The premise of leadership, the loopholes of management in numbers, the fear of true despair, all comes together into the movie to make some of the most memorable moment altogether. (including how sarcastic it seems for Spock to hide the name of Ulhura from Kirk...even when he is not being sarcastic or some other)

In essence, Star Trek 2009 records as one of the best Star Trek churn outs I ever seen. What they need simply is a Voyager movie...maybe after Janeway has returned to the Alpha Quadrant and adventures from there, or after she is promoted to Admiral for her incredible feat of destroying the Borg's hub of conquest.

The cast was also well noted, I say almost fitting to the original characters in the First Generation, of course, in the series being a bit old they are also more mellow, while in the movie they all seemed gritty. (such as Ulhura when demanding she be posted aboard the Enterprise) (Interesting as well, I had not known that Spock easily gives in to women...LOL)

Quad City QBs:
I just got Netflix, and I've been educating myself on the classics.  Casablanca, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Falling Down, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and Schindler's List in the past week.

I've never been one for lengthy commentary, but a couple summers back I had plans to watch Pan's Labyrinth, Requiem for a Dream, American History X and Schindler's List on four consecutive days.  I only got to the first three and, for my mental well-being's sake, I'm glad I did.

♛ Apher-Forte:
Glad you could join the club.

I personally think Schindler's List is one of the best films ever made. The story is more than just compelling, and the views of world war 2 accurately transcribed to film media like never before.

American History X gives me the chills still as Edward Norton's best ever role before Fight Club definitely, it is a shame he has to subscribe to films like Hulk that is more so a mental illness of a role (empty and hollow) character when he is great with the not so ordinary films.

Pan's Labyrinth is certainly one of those films I like, so far I have not been able to watch the whole thing, the spanish version here is just...well, not accurately translated.
It is a pain to watch.

If you like arthouse flicks, I suggest Gia.

It is one of those biography flicks that everyone should be educated on.

Jana:
...A bunch of people in my 2nd Semester High School English IV class kept thinking that I was like the main character in Schindler's List, but I haven't seen the movie. My mom's Netflix thing should remedy that, and I can find out whether I should be worried or not.

Also, I'll probably tank through the Terminator movies next week in preparation for the new one, which we plan on going to this weekend. I don't like to sit and watch movies very often, though.

Gpop:
Schindler's List was a great film. It was very compelling. I think I had a few girl's in my class who literally cried throughout the movie. I was depressed myself at the ending.

And this was in World Religions class while studying Judaism.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version