~Hakurei Shrine~ > Alice's Art Atelier

[Music] Touhou music arranged by Z.A.

<< < (2/9) > >>

Z_A:
An update over that silent update! Now I know how to use EQ and compression, so reuploading the Headless Hunter again. The long history of this composition becomes even longer and more complicated than before, but... well... this one would be the 5th or even 6th version of my track, and now it's significantly different from the first version, like if I had made an arrangement on my own remix. The important thing is - I think it's the first time that this song carries some kind of emotional contents, and needless to say, I like it much more this way. I'm still learning certain ways of processing sound in DAW, as well as testing various soundfonts, so this is most likely still not the final version, but if it's better than before, then, hey, why not post it right away? As always, feedback is appreciated.

Z_A:
And now, for something (slightly) different!

https://soundcloud.com/user-595154314/chaos-dial

There's really no story about this arrange, I just had an idea, and I tried to realize it. Though it wasn't so easy, since this time I needed much better guitar sounds than those I managed to find in soundfonts (like I stated before). Eventually, I figured it out, and finally rendered this piece. Didn't take me as long as the former ones, so... that's sort of a progress, I guess? Albeit the arrangement itself is pretty simple. Hope you listen and enjoy! In a fashion similar to the Headless Hunter, it repeats twice, so, you might listen to just one half. Also, please post your feedback - it helps people grow!

GenericArrangements:
I can't say too much besides the simple fact that I really like it. I need to know where you got that rock guitar soundfont because it is really good.

(Hopefully) Constructive Criticism:
 - It's really nice but it's a tiny, little bit empty-ish at points where it should be more full. I feel like a quieter, significantly less important layer of sound would work really nicely to fill it in more, although I'm honestly not sure what kind of instrument would go there.
    - At the same time I might be saying this because of the way you panned your instruments (to the far sides), although the panning itself is not a problem at all and sounds really nice. It just leaves empty space out at the front.
 - On that note you should probably do something a bit more in the 6/4 (?) section. It's a lot emptier than the rest of it. One idea would be to make the drums do more fancy stuff.
 - As much as I'd say you need more fancy guitar tricks, it is a soundfont, so that would be harder. I believe it would still be possible to have a downward glissando or two somewhere, but you don't need to add any if you don't really feel like it.

tbh I still don't like Luna Dial as a song but I really like this arrangement.

Z_A:
That was fast!

--- Quote ---I can't say too much besides the simple fact that I really like it. I need to know where you got that rock guitar soundfont because it is really good.
--- End quote ---
Thanks! I'll send you a PM.

--- Quote --- - It's really nice but it's a tiny, little bit empty-ish at points where it should be more full. I feel like a quieter, significantly less important layer of sound would work really nicely to fill it in more, although I'm honestly not sure what kind of instrument would go there.
--- End quote ---
I kind of borrowed several structural ideas from another piece (non-Touhou), that's why. I actually thought of adding some strings padding (pun intended), but I guess it doesn't go quite well with the genre.

--- Quote --- - At the same time I might be saying this because of the way you panned your instruments (to the far sides), although the panning itself is not a problem at all and sounds really nice. It just leaves empty space out at the front.
--- End quote ---
It's nice to be able to place the bass track in that very space, to make it audible. It's actually a sawtooth synth bass, so it would conflict with most instruments, unless left alone. I just reeeeeeally like saw waves~ Anyway, the conflict is obvious in the solo part, where both guitars sounding at the same time occupy the whole frequency bandwidth, and so the bass is barely audible. It's annoying, but there's probably little to be done about that.

--- Quote --- - On that note you should probably do something a bit more in the 6/4 (?) section. It's a lot emptier than the rest of it. One idea would be to make the drums do more fancy stuff.
--- End quote ---
Maybe, maybe not. It's supposed to be a break, hence less sounds. I'll consider it, though - fancy stuff with drums never hurts.
Also, I didn't change time signatures there, it's still 9 bars of 4/4, with plenty of 3/4 and 6/4 notes :P

--- Quote --- - As much as I'd say you need more fancy guitar tricks, it is a soundfont, so that would be harder. I believe it would still be possible to have a downward glissando or two somewhere, but you don't need to add any if you don't really feel like it.
--- End quote ---
It's not entirely a soundfont sound, but... I'm still only learning on piano roll capabilities (it's still piano roll), so I'm not sure if it's actually possible to apply complex guitar tricks in it. That would probably liven up the composition, so yeah. I'll try to look into it, thanks.

Thank you for your feedback!

Z_A:
I wonder if anyone bothers to read those "exciting" stories behind my creations =P anyway, another piece incoming!

https://soundcloud.com/user-595154314/hardcore-youkai-shoujo

So, as I had stated earlier in my "silent updates", I really didn't have the means to properly render my second arrangement (chronologically second, anyway, after the Hunter) until just recently, when I found a way to use more or less decent guitar sounds in my DAW without actually owning and/or playing the real thing. Other than that, the story behind the arrangement is somewhat weird - again, like in the Headless Hunter, I decided to put together a Touhou piece and one other composition (which I probably didn't have the legal right to do), so I was faced with two problems - how to reasonably convert the Hartmann's 7/8 to the more common 4/4, and how to mix the typically rich Touhou melody into a very plain punk/hardcore tune. The latter took me about half a year to figure out (just place it in the bass track ftw, man), and just a couple of days after that to complete the arrangement. And only years after that I have finally learned some necessary techniques to convert the midi arrangement into an actual tune. So, here it is - feedback, as always, is very much appreciated.

Also one non-Touhou-related piece please listen to it as well it's actually nice or maybe not whatever
https://soundcloud.com/user-595154314/the-final-page

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version