Author Topic: Lesson #1  (Read 19858 times)

Momiji

• Cya
Re: Lesson #1
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 11:03:16 AM »
To Genskyo, for field work!
OH BOY FIELD TRIP!! XO

Which brings up a question... how would you actually measure (accurately, at that) the various properties of danmaku and the other magical things in Gensokyo? =o

Gpop

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 01:03:49 PM »
The answer is definitely ⑨. ⑨ ties. A tie.

Some supports my answer.

Therefore it's correct.

Maid Xan~

• Oh. Uh... Hey... Hey there, Koto.
  • What... what are you smiling like that for, Koto?
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 04:43:25 AM »
No, you see, Alice cannot win, simply because Marisa's lack of a hat means that she is going to be on the moon within a very short amount of time. Alice does not come along. Yorihime will curbstomp Marisa. Irritation will be had by fans until we find out that Yuyuko has stolen the moonbitches' sake. And then we will have lulz.

Also, Epic topic. 10/10 would read again.

I expect to see more good stuff from Cirno.
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 01:23:13 AM »
...Who owns the Cirno account? Whoever he/she is, read what Xan said.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »
And what will be the consequences if Marisa is nailed with entirety of Alice's fiery temper powered magical load?

Pregnancy.

Drake

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 12:03:33 AM »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 01:58:36 PM »
Wow, Cirno is so stupid.

Alice's laser and Marisa's stars are both energy, which means they are both waves. The WKB approximation for the tunneling coefficient of a wave incident on a barrier sort of assumes that the barrier itself is physical(or an actual change in the medium the wave is traveling through, which doesn't include another wave), not another wave. Thus, the most that will happen when Alice's laser hits the stars is some wave interference. Depending on the structure of the waves, a few things could happen. The laser could bounce right off of the stars, or could diffract through the stars and split(depending on how far apart the stars were from each other).

Given that Alice's power is currently 4.5, I would go for the diffraction occurring. The laser will split into a certain number of paths, and they may or may not hit Marisa. Considering Alice is tsundere and just wants to give Marisa a hug, and assuming she knows all this, she will purposely get one of the diffracted beams to hit her in order to knock her out for a second so she can advance and give her the hug.

duh.

(note: I don't believe a wave can diffract through another wave. That part was just there for the sake of finishing the problem the wrong way)

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »
Re: Wave theory -

Technically, if we are to consider both Marisa and Alice to be emitting waves in opposite directions, they would produce a stationary wave. In this instance the two most distant nodes of the wave would obviously be Alice and Marisa, and at these points the amplitude of the waves is zero and therefore Alice does not penetrate the barrier.

However, this is only assuming that the waves behave like waves. In correct circumstances it is possible to observe them acting totally like particles would (for example, the photoelectric effect) and if this were the case then the answer to the problem is completely different. But we don't know if Marisa's defense or Alice's attack consists of waves, particles, particles acting like waves or vice versa, and thus we are unable to progress further due to a lack of information.

A good effort, Miss Cirno, but as Mr. Darkslime has pointed out the inability to recognise the boundary between waves and particles causes the question to fall apart. Here's hoping Lesson 2 is somewhat more solid.

~Yukari Yakumo

And yes, that was all buildup for a Boundary of Wave and Particle joke.

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 02:55:09 PM »
And even if they were traveling in opposite directions, they'd need to have the exact same amplitude in order to produce the stationary wave. The slightest bit of inaccuracy would cause a much weaker wave to be going in one direction.

Considering that they might indeed be light, there's always the wave-particle duality theory. Which also doesn't fit into quantum tunneling. (Since we don't even know what the fuck light is in the first place.)

why can't I make my actual physics lead to a joke like that

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

AntKiller

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 10:06:19 PM »

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 02:31:38 AM »
If wave-particle duality theory fit into quantum tunneling = LAZER.

Light + Tube = LAZER

Cirno has proven it.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 06:18:53 AM »
Well, that was easy.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »
If wave-particle duality theory fit into quantum tunneling = LAZER.

Light + Tube = LAZER

Cirno has proven it.

That's so irrelevant. XD

Unfortunately, the basis of the theory, IIRC, is that light exhibits properties of both waves and particles, and because of that, doesn't behave exactly like one or the other.

Cirno

• I'm the strongest!
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 06:11:51 PM »
Results:

Benny1 - 10/10
Edible - 7/10
Zakeri - 8/10
e-mouse - 6/10

All other scores were below 5/10 and thus failed the course. While I was fairly amused by Roukankan and darkslime's cute attempts to be smart, you guys should know by now that, in order to recieve points on an exam, you must answer the questions as they are presented. This was not a model perfectly representative of the real world. Such a model would require a far greater degree of mathematics and precision than I can reasonably expect the boorish souls here to comprehend. When presented with an arithmetic test in elementary school, did you write a rant about how the integers you were using were not nearly as accurate a representation of our numbering system as an explicitly set theory based approach to counting? I thought not.

It seems I've got my work cut out for me. Let's see if you all can do better on the next exam...

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 06:17:07 PM »

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2009, 07:03:25 PM »

We are born to do the maths, commander.
But not like this.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:31:03 PM by T34G3 »

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2009, 07:39:57 PM »
We are born to do the maths, commander.
But not like this.
It's call the Math of ⑨

8 more lesson to go.

Gpop

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2009, 07:48:07 PM »
I must've miscalculated something. I swear the answer was 9 =/.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 10:51:25 PM »
HEY

HEY CIRNO

MASTER OF THE IDIOT MAIDENS

SOLVE THIS

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 11:07:39 PM »
HEY

HEY CIRNO

MASTER OF THE IDIOT MAIDENS

SOLVE THIS
* SonicZeroX tries to stop the master spark with his bare hands.
But it failed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IrsTNxy-pI

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2009, 05:34:08 AM »
Moe.

Yes.

Apocalypse moe~
There was something here once. Wonder what...