Author Topic: Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!  (Read 127997 times)

Schezo

• en-counse
Re: Periodic Touhou Tournament!
« Reply #270 on: February 22, 2011, 05:02:00 AM »
- special: EoSD no bomb survival?

I'd be up for that.  The reason I didn't play in this one was I didn't want to play IN my least favorite Touhou window game or SA the one I suck the most at and can barely 1cc easy.

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #271 on: February 22, 2011, 05:16:29 AM »
UFO Marisa B score run XD
No, I'm actually joking.

I liked the no-focus run. I didn't get a high enough score, but it was fun. Maybe another no-focus run?

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

« Reply #272 on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:51 AM »
Heh. Nobody made a MarisaA 1cc in SA. Proof enough that she is useless to me :V.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #273 on: February 22, 2011, 08:10:11 AM »
Psh, 1cc's are overrated. Why go for a 1cc when there's plenty of SKOR to be had?  BV

If there's anything that I've learnt from doing this week's scoring it's:
  • MarisaA's bomb is excellent, and severely underestimated
  • That larger grazebox is delicious, useful and completely outshines having a smaller hitbox
  • I probably shouldn't go and wreck my wrist in the latter half of the week

I should also mention that I do have an improved Easy run, but I forgot to submit it. Hooray  o 3o

No, I'm actually joking.
:(
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #274 on: February 22, 2011, 08:25:07 AM »
Psh, 1cc's are overrated. Why go for a 1cc when there's plenty of SKOR to be had?  BV

You'd get more points if you 1cc'd. :P

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #275 on: February 22, 2011, 08:27:57 AM »
A base 1cc doesn't get you a better score than a run where you die prematurely grazing throughout the entire game  :u
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #276 on: February 22, 2011, 11:22:01 AM »
A base 1cc doesn't get you a better score than a run where you die prematurely grazing throughout the entire game  :u

No, but a 1cc with scoring methods applied will. And to my recollection, there exists ReimuA survival-plays that got the same score as your MarisaA scoring run. I do acknowledge the fact that MarisaA sits has some very excellent top scores set for her on royalflare but she is still not as high as ReimuA and since almost nobody can play well with her i'd say she is quite useless still.

ReimuA may be overpowered but at least she is useful. There is also other less "overpowered" alternatives that doesn't suck. Personally i wouldn't call her overpowered though. Just the only proper forward focused type that has a decent bomb.

« Reply #277 on: February 22, 2011, 11:39:31 AM »
How can she possibly be useless, when she has her own scoreboard?
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

« Reply #278 on: February 22, 2011, 11:58:46 AM »

Everyone has. Even MarisaB in UFO. And she is a completely different league of useless. The reason for the existance of that scoreboard is obviously for people wanting to challenge themselves with handicaps. There should be a no-bombs one too. I'd be interested in just how high people could score in SA without bombing for graze. :)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #279 on: February 22, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »
Usefulness has nothing to do with that. If a shottype exists, it'll get a scoreboard.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #280 on: February 22, 2011, 02:53:05 PM »
I see no STG of the Week up in the arcade =(.

So yeah, fun week this week, especially the IN.  Looking forward to the next  :3.

« Reply #281 on: February 22, 2011, 03:10:23 PM »
There should be one soon. But it's looking like it'll be some masochistic stuff at the moment though. But hey, maybe I'll get farther than I have before in it, assuming nothing actually ends up passing it.

I could have probably 1cc'd if I grinded it out, but as I mentioned I didn't have time to. I do plan to grab a MarisA 1cc sometime, so you can expect to see it whenever that happens.

Polttopallo

• /人◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
« Reply #282 on: February 22, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »
No, I'm actually joking.

I liked the no-focus run. I didn't get a high enough score, but it was fun. Maybe another no-focus run?

Marisa B is really good character for UFO scoring. I would be happy with that choise. Reimu B (homing reimu) is the worst shot type. Impossible to get any good results...UFO Reimu B score run week would be my worst nightmare. Oh, and Reimu A is pretty difficult too...

« Reply #283 on: February 22, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »
Everyone has. Even MarisaB in UFO. And she is a completely different league of useless. The reason for the existance of that scoreboard is obviously for people wanting to challenge themselves with handicaps.

You're missing the point. When you're not competing against other shot types it doesn't matter at all what kind of scoring potential they would happen to have. It's like saying lower difficulties are useless, because Lunatic gets you more score.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #284 on: February 23, 2011, 03:25:36 AM »
I would've entered the contest, but.... argfretghh lost 4 lives in IN stage 5 normal.
Still can't believe that happened, or else I would've 1cc'd.
Proves that I can't control Youmu and deathbomb.

« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2011, 03:27:20 AM »
There should be one soon. But it's looking like it'll be some masochistic stuff at the moment though. But hey, maybe I'll get farther than I have before in it, assuming nothing actually ends up passing it.
Ooh Ketsui.  I'm so bad at that game, but I'll give it a go.  Looking at the choices I kinda wish we got DDPDOJ, but Ketsui would be my second choice of those, so it's all good =D.

« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2011, 03:33:32 AM »
Gradius III was in the lead when I posted that. Ketsui isn't masochistic.

Still, maybe I can get to Stage 4 of the SotW game this week. I have gotten to stage 3 boss before.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #287 on: February 23, 2011, 04:53:14 AM »
Ketsui becomes pretty masochistic whenever someone says 'Ura'. :V
Let's fight.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2011, 05:04:20 AM »
Urauraurauraurauraurauraurauraurauraurauraurauraurauraura

Not that anyone will reach it, but.

« Reply #289 on: February 23, 2011, 08:17:39 AM »
You're missing the point. When you're not competing against other shot types it doesn't matter at all what kind of scoring potential they would happen to have. It's like saying lower difficulties are useless, because Lunatic gets you more score.

Well, playing at lower difficulties is pointless when you are capable of playing a higher difficulty. At least playing as a different character serves as a handicap.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #290 on: February 23, 2011, 08:53:42 AM »
It isn't a handicap because you're not competing with other shot types; each is judged on its own, and each has its own scoring potential. Same for difficulties. Why else do you see very high level players tackling tons of shot types and difficulties?
Let's fight.

« Reply #291 on: February 23, 2011, 09:19:01 AM »
No, i was just thinking about one character compared to another. Then having less damage and a larger hitbox + more unwieldy weapon is a handicap. When competing with other MarisaA players the competition is of course fair enough.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #292 on: February 28, 2011, 03:11:43 AM »
Hey, we can't let this thread get all moldy and sticky the day before the third round now can we? This time I'm going to actually participate instead of just submitting last-minute entries.....
All of you better watch out 8)

Btw, scoring challenge idea..... Touhou 13 (demo ver.)!!!!!!!! (when it comes out) :V

ark

• みょん
« Reply #293 on: February 28, 2011, 03:13:50 AM »
I support a TH13 demo tournament week. That'll still be 2 weeks away though.

Drake

« Reply #294 on: February 28, 2011, 03:15:29 AM »
You mean right in time for the contest after this one.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Polttopallo

• /人◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
« Reply #295 on: February 28, 2011, 03:18:27 AM »
Touhou 13 No Focus Youmu! Just like the IN special challenge.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #296 on: February 28, 2011, 03:21:51 AM »
You mean right in time for the contest after this one.
Precisely.

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #297 on: February 28, 2011, 05:12:33 AM »

Yesssss!

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #298 on: February 28, 2011, 05:19:05 AM »

Yes yes yes. do want.*

* as long as we don't have to collect UFOs (or spirits, whatever) to get reasonable amount of resources :V

ark

• みょん
« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2011, 05:24:46 AM »
Nah, I'd prefer a plain scoring challenge.