Author Topic: Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!  (Read 128330 times)

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:33:35 PM »
Some of you guys may remember this. We're thinking of bringing it back. :V

For those who haven't seen this before, the idea is a weekly competition between players. Each week, there would be one survival challenge and one scoring challenge; each of these will be for one game, with a particular shot type, allowing submissions for any difficulty - for example, Week 1 might be, 'score in SA with MarisaB, and see how far you can get in EoSD with ReimuB', with each of these challenges allowing submissions from Easy to Lunatic and including Extra. You can submit as many times as you like as long as the runs are created during the week (no using old replays!), and the scoreboards for each week will be 'archived' in the tournament thread, a little bit like what you can see in the Shooter of the Week thread. It'd be really awesome to have some regular, friendly competitions - lots of fun, and lots of motivation to improve (and score)!

If you'd be remotely interested in joining in, please say so in this thread! Need to check interest to see if it's worth starting, of course. :P Any feedback and ideas for improvements would also be welcome!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:13:09 PM by Aunt »
Let's fight.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Periodic Touhou Tournament!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 08:37:37 PM »
I do n't know if I'd be a regular participant, but I'd definately try to be initially to get the ball a-rollin'

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:44:34 PM »
"so in this thread"

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »
Not expecting miracles, but it wouldn`t hurt to try. Count me in.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »
I'm very interested in this...

However, I feel like I'll not even touch the top 5 knowing how awesome some people on here are.  :ohdear:

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »
Same here. I might not participate in all of them, but if some of the challenges interest me I'll give them a shot.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
maaaaaaybe

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »
Do want plz

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 09:50:02 PM »
Always been total crap at these games, but sounds fun enough.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 09:57:10 PM »
a

I might not participate in all of them
:(
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Aliquantic

• Bose-Einstein condensate
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 10:01:59 PM »
I'd be interested myself (I need an excuse to play some Touhou...) but I'm worried that there would be too much "division" if there's two different scoring challenges in the same week on all five difficulties, especially for those of us who also do SoTW and/or have dedicated our lives to the One True Game  :3

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 10:17:33 PM »
LET'S DO THIS

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 10:49:37 PM »
Sounds fun to me! I may not be as good as other players but I might pull off a miracle! (Help me Sanae. I need your foot) :V
I'm getting better all the time so I'm sure I'll be able to pull off a few of them. Just not on the later games since those are harder.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 11:13:02 PM »
It obviously depends on what game.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 11:29:10 PM »
The attitude in this thread is lacking, you all should be like "lol, I suppose I can deign to honor you scrubby nubs with my uber skillz. Try not to waste my time by being TOO easy". >=P

Udongein

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 11:31:45 PM »
I can get in on this.
Bring it~ 8)

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 11:38:23 PM »
This looks fun and will give me some more motivation to improve.

CrimsonDX

• Hourai Doll
  • キモちのいいけーね~~
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 11:59:47 PM »
Ill probably be the worst one in each one but it sounds interesting so count me in.

Heartbeam

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 01:37:46 AM »
Quote from: dot_asp
This thread is like a super-heroes assembly.

Another post of support wouldn't hurt.  I'm sure you've already thought of pacifist / handicapped runs to go along with the survival route, and single stage practice.  Messing around with grazing is also fun, and that could replace the standard scoring challenges from time to time.

Polttopallo

• /人◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 01:44:36 AM »
Sure.

Hmm, looks like I only did the UFO week last time.. This time I'll try to take part to all of them.

ebarrett

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 02:06:16 AM »
Bring it on Your Sapznezz

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 03:20:48 AM »
Hmm, sounds fun.  Would be even more exciting if I could compete (and not be slaughtered) in the lunatic runs... I might give some attempts up there for the hell of it (and the extra practice is nice), but I think if anything my scores are gonna shine most on normal mode.

Side note, any plans to toss some PC98 games in this?

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 04:02:14 AM »
That would kinda suck for the people who don't have PC98 games. :V

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 04:17:30 AM »
I'd be interested myself (I need an excuse to play some Touhou...) but I'm worried that there would be too much "division" if there's two different scoring challenges in the same week on all five difficulties, especially for those of us who also do SoTW and/or have dedicated our lives to the One True Game  :3
This is true, but I think all difficulties are needed to accomodate all the different levels of players. It's perfectly fine to just submit for one difficulty than you find fun or comfortable if you want, but many might want to try a few, so I think this works well enough. :P
Another post of support wouldn't hurt.  I'm sure you've already thought of pacifist / handicapped runs to go along with the survival route, and single stage practice.  Messing around with grazing is also fun, and that could replace the standard scoring challenges from time to time.
Yes indeed. :P I think the scoring half of the week would stick to full games, but I'd be perfectly happy to occasionally swap out the 'survival' half with things like single stage score runs and the like. Honestly, 'survival' may not have been the best way to put it - alternate challenges might be more accurate.
Side note, any plans to toss some PC98 games in this?
I'm not entirely sure yet. It could be fun, but the lack of replays seems like it would make learning from each other and really high scoring plays very difficult (aside from meaning you can't really show or prove your runs if they hit the #1 spot, unless you record them live).

Thanks for the enthusiasm, people! I think that's enough interest to make this viable, but if you are interested and haven't said so yet, feel free to say so here - more interest is better. Week 1 will start on Monday the 31st, with the games/challenges announced at the same time.
Let's fight.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 08:17:55 AM »
Why the hell not? Count me in! - Should make for an excellent excuse to get back into playing Touhou games again! :)

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 08:46:58 AM »
I'm interested, despite the fact that I don't really play the games for competitive purposes. It reminds me of the Blockbuster Video Game championships many many years ago.

Just a GBZero

• <Kaisou> ...Yeah, kinda small, but I think it works...
  • Too much manga now means not enough manga
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 01:24:11 PM »
I was in the last one, and I shall be in this one, plus it would give me something random to do during lunch at work

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 02:33:24 PM »
The attitude in this thread is lacking, you all should be like "lol, I suppose I can deign to honor you scrubby nubs with my uber skillz. Try not to waste my time by being TOO easy". >=P
Very well, you chump! I'm gonna crush a single other person in this tourney to end all tourneys, and finish with the title of "GRAND MASTER PARTICIPANT" and a silly paper hat that I would make for myself! There is gonna be a very mild expression of dissatisfaction on that person's face!

Aw, yeah. Bring it, whelps!

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 02:44:52 PM »
This can only end poorly.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 03:12:40 PM »
This can only end poorly.
There will be no bees.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?