Author Topic: "Awesome Games Done Quick" Marathon  (Read 2565 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
"Awesome Games Done Quick" Marathon
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:31:37 AM »
Watch it here.

A four-day marathon of awesome games, everything from games from this year (the marathon started on Super Mario Galaxy 2, for instance) to old classics (The original Super Mario Bros trio, Marble Madness, etc.) and everything in between.  MotK's own Axel Ryman's even running Kingdom Hearts 2 on Sunday morning (And has said he's going to be fighting Xaldin blindfolded).  There's a schedule of the games at this link.  And, of course, once all is said and done, they'll have everything downloadable and watchable from the site, if you ever want to watch live speedruns.

And of course, it's all being done for charity.  So if you want to see people speedrunning some awesome games and feel like throwing some money at charity (And possibly winning yourself some awesome artwork and other goodies), it's also a good cause!

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
Re: "Awesome Games Done Quick" Marathon
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:04:21 AM »
I'm watching it as it goes on. Live speedruns are always entertaining, especially when they have to improvise. Mario Galaxy 2 was great, but the Halo run was kind of disappointing - he took donations to start on Legendary, then died 5 times in the second level and switched down a difficulty. Then he continued to die throughout the run, going for an hour and a half longer than planned (although some of the deaths were hilarious, like backing off cliffs). However, he openly admitted that he forgot to practice because he was focusing on the other runs, and the Portal run he did beforehand was amazing, so it's forgivable.

I'm mostly waiting for the races, since they're always really exciting. 6 hours of Metroid speedruns will be great too, though I'd probably just have it playing in the background while I do other things.

As a side note, 100% Chrono Trigger run is insane, especially single-segment with at least 1000 people. I wish him luck, and I hope he saves often.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 09:16:38 AM »
I missed the Galaxy 2 one; according to the chat, it developped a bunch of new glitches towards the end and became absolutely hilarious, so I'm looking forward to the recording of it.

Also yes; the races are bloody awesome (There's no Marble Madness race this year though ;-; ).  And Pianotoads is coming back YES.

The CT run should be awesome as well.  Watching FFVI get speedrun (and it nearly being completed until Essentia forgot to Float during the final battle) was an awesome end, hopefully this keeps the trend.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:19:44 AM »
Mario jumped across a 50-foot gap by springboarding off a Toad's head. I think that says enough about the run's quality. (Although he had his share of stupid deaths too... 18 in total, I think. It's a very random game.)

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 05:45:26 PM »
Holy shit they just breezed through MM9 like it was nothing will playing live :colonveeplusalpha:

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »
Hell yeah, playin' as Zero. Just like a real man should. 8)

Also holy shit someone just dropped 200 bucks for them.

Edit: Ahaha! I've never seen the 'WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR?!' cutscene. That ... that was so bad, yet so good.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:54:42 PM by Potentially Yuyuko »

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 08:05:22 PM »
Edit: Ahaha! I've never seen the 'WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR?!' cutscene. That ... that was so bad, yet so good.
You WHAT

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 10:02:30 PM »
Right now they're running Blaster Master.

After this is PIANOTOADS (Battletoads speedrun live, with a pianist playing the music live alongside it)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:52:22 AM »
Bumping this up while I can to promote it for MotK-related reasons: Axel Ryman's Kingdom Hearts 2 run is supposed to start at roughly 1:30AM EST.

I'm sorry, Axel, I'll be at work so probably won't get to see any of it nor will I be able to throw you a donation during the stream D:

dustyjo

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 07:35:02 AM »
God these guys are such nerds.

I love it.