Author Topic: Keep reading the news!  (Read 62435 times)

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Re: Keep reading the news!
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »
But then again, Europe is pretty much in deep shit now so yeah.
thank god I studied there when it was 2004.
Excuse me, but the UK is quite a different case from the rest of Europe. Talking about Europe in general on issues like that is useless, too diverse.
The UK is pretty extreme with tuition fees, as a prof told me: "You will always get a place at an university in the UK, but you won't be able to pay for it."

As for those pictures, while I don't doubt the authenticity of the majority of them, I recall several articles about them.
There was one picture in particular that stood out in many magazines that showed a "spontaneous outburst of violence" as a protester kicked a glass-window.
The picture was cropped, in the original there were about fifty photographers standing around the guy, neatly arranged in a half-circle. Even a policeman looking over their shoulder, he was edited out in one newspaper.
It's a bit sad to think that in such an extreme situation they still stage stuff for the news, because it's to be doubted that specific moment was genuine >_>

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »
Yet, it is also true many people are angered by the UK's sudden decision (to which I have to question, why now? why so sudden?) , and I trust what I saw in the news when P. Charles was attacked in the parade they optimistically chosen to pass by is indication of what I can only describe as 'the people's anger'. To be fair, am I also not correct, that the Euro is not exactly at the best of affairs. I'd say as a whole, Europe is fair generalization that many things are going wrong for them, now and what I (or many people) can foresee, to continue to spiral downwards.

Of course, come to think of it, us foreigners studying in the UK has always been charged some 8K Sterling Pounds to pay for tuition fees, imagine my pain when I heard the local education was free and there are so many kids not appreciating the freedom that entitles. (which is to say, you not need to care for a single penny of student loan pay backs). Is education still friendly to the locals? I think not.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 10:38:58 AM »
So erm, after many failures of attempts at banning loli and hentai, they now propose to ban manga, anime, games but not novels which contains consensual 'rape'. lol.

dare I say if this goes true it is the last Touhou game we will ever have?
(because the law apparently prevents any sort of depiction of fictional sex to protect children, which effectively brands Touhou as a 'concern which might produce second or third creative works which can produce fictional sex with fictional minors')

I am of course, familiar with the political culture of Japan, as far as I know, the way they change PMs like they were yesterday's soiled linen, it is almost unlikely to pass, as are all their previous attempts. I have hardly found a nation more spineless when it comes to politics and being elbowed outta the international list in a first world country before, I mean, seriously it is almost pathetic.

Other countries talk about managing debt crisis with important decisions and taxes which require strict discipline in people's spending and economic overhauls, (though with a lot less success no doubt for Europe and US as a whole), but Japan puts forth all sorts of this sorta thing. There is also the issue with how they manage international waters, the way they seek to rebuke claims and ownership with petty slogans and avoidance... dick waving or not when it comes to power, Japan needs to grow a spine. At least, in my opinion, I have serious doubts about the country's future.

Then again, there used to be a time when everyone wanted to be Japanese...
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »
So erm, after many failures of attempts at banning loli and hentai, they now propose to ban manga, anime, games but not novels which contains consensual 'rape'. lol.

... are you sure you're talking about the same Touhou games I've been playing?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kuroi

• I dodge bans and don't afraid of anything
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »

(because the law apparently prevents any sort of depiction of fictional sex to protect children, which effectively brands Touhou as a 'concern which might produce second or third creative works which can produce fictional sex with fictional minors')

I am of course, familiar with the political culture of Japan, as far as I know, the way they change PMs like they were yesterday's soiled linen, it is almost unlikely to pass, as are all their previous attempts. I have hardly found a nation more spineless when it comes to politics and being elbowed outta the international list in a first world country before, I mean, seriously it is almost pathetic.

Other countries talk about managing debt crisis with important decisions and taxes which require strict discipline in people's spending and economic overhauls, (though with a lot less success no doubt for Europe and US as a whole), but Japan puts forth all sorts of this sorta thing. There is also the issue with how they manage international waters, the way they seek to rebuke claims and ownership with petty slogans and avoidance... dick waving or not when it comes to power, Japan needs to grow a spine. At least, in my opinion, I have serious doubts about the country's future.

Then again, there used to be a time when everyone wanted to be Japanese...

Well that'll be a big fuck in my face! If they do ban all that, it's like throwing over 60 years worth of history out of the window! What the hell! >:(

Which crazy ass would want to ban anime, manga and games!?
I'll add something witty and amusing here later.

Tengukami

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 11:47:34 AM »
Which crazy ass would want to ban anime, manga and games!?

Indeed.

Got a source, A-F?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
The DPJ just announced they wanna support the law, and tentatively a date is set for July 2011.

I don't wanna say it but this appeared in Nikkei news for today (14th dec) so it seems very real.
As of now, sources:
http://www.47news.jp/CN/201012/CN2010121301000306.html

this link describes what the law basically is formed from, the heavier overtones:
http://itomasaki.air-nifty.com/masaki/2010/12/post-4da4.html

It is also a fairly subjective thing altogether, with etc. stringing behind each and other sentence whenever a 'crime' is mentioned. Which happens to state 'who can buy an improper book which might hinder healthy development of youths' (a manga is one such book); '?improper glorification of illegal sexual activity, etc." which can imply about just any virtual crime, which can be in case one doesn't know, committed through social networks. Since Japan does not outright ban facebook or twitter, that is a convenience to say: we can do whatever we like to censor your shit.

But as a whole, 'materials which may corrupt the development of youths. etc' is most disturbing, because it implies that just about anything on the 'NO FUN ALLOWED' list is a no no, that may or may not include stuff like Panty & Stocking, every generic ecchi, as well as deeply violent Seinen titles like Shiki, Claymore, Berserk, Hokuto no Ken etc.
Is Touhou one of those? it promotes enough unhealthy following yes. Is Miku one of these banned items now? no, the program is not banned, but the image of miku may be. Enjoy your green leek only videos.

Tengukami

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 08:30:53 PM »
Ah, for clarification purposes, you should probably understand that this is a municipal ordinance - not a national law- being spearheaded by Tokyo governor Shintaro Isehara. So it's not all over Japan or anything, and doesn't spell THE END of anime, manga and games as we know it.

But yes, I agree it's a dumb ordinance.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »
Ah, for clarification purposes, you should probably understand that this is a municipal ordinance - not a national law- being spearheaded by Tokyo governor Shintaro Isehara. So it's not all over Japan or anything, and doesn't spell THE END of anime, manga and games as we know it.

But yes, I agree it's a dumb ordinance.

I was about to point this out - and it's not even a law, more like a firm guideline.

This is what happens when people get their news from Godawful Complex.

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2010, 12:11:41 AM »
*deadpans* Oh, and here I was worried that it was more than half-accurate this time around.

I should've remembered that the other half is naked hatemongering which amounts to the same thing as what those who hate manga "etc." are doing, except not from a position of power/status-quo.

三重階乗

• NOT an avatar of a higher-up.
  • Who is this "Dragon," anyway?
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2010, 12:39:40 AM »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2010, 01:17:28 AM »
I would think the Metrodome roof collapsing would be bigger news than that. The footage looks kinda scary if you ask me.

Something I just found out about, apparently there was an earthquake swarm going on in Arkansas for the past few months. Provided this wasn't entirely man-made like the article suggests, it's probably related to the old Reelfoot Rift, though I'm not too familiar with the tectonic structure of that state.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Edible

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2010, 02:44:20 AM »

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2010, 05:15:14 AM »

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Edible

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2010, 05:19:18 AM »
USA emissary Richard Holbrooke is dead at 69. :(

This is a bad time for him to go, and a pretty big blow to the State Department, IMO.  Gonna be a dark day in DC tomorrow.

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2010, 05:29:01 AM »
I was about to point this out - and it's not even a law, more like a firm guideline.

nee, i feel alarmed to hell each time to go there...sometimes i think who the owner of the site is a troll with a blog (a bit yellow, like the bunbunmaru) :3
...anyways, that guy (Ishihara) is a horrible person. He said who "gays are defective,who lack to something" is a racist (even with the japanese who have "gaijin" descendants) and even in the right wing no is very popular, and he wants for this do his own political wing. Poor Tokyo, chosse that dull man three times. Must have lot of influence there (maybe from some influyent industries or something...)
i changed my downfirm for a time. I don?t like that kind of people.
(poor fujoshis, loli fans,young barasoku boys and yuri girls.maybe this industries ended emigrating to other parts from Japan if the thing is approved, a good thing for that lost places...meanwhile the rest of  the no stupid people think in how quit that bad guy from Tokyo...optimism,that kind of people fall more hard and with more pain in the end! XD)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:50:00 AM by VIVItheHeiwa »

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

dustyjo

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2010, 08:24:01 AM »
Hackers break into Gawker, release a file with FTP, author, and reader usernames and passwords.

Well, that's just fucking awesome. Now I have to change every password on every website I've ever been to.

Tengukami

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2010, 11:37:20 AM »
Well, that's just fucking awesome. Now I have to change every password on every website I've ever been to.

Yep. This is my feeling on it: if you and your self-important little group of script kiddies want to attack a website that DARES insult the irreproachable 4chan, then attack that site - not the thousands of other users who might have only registered just to leave a comment or two under an article. Way to get the public on your side, idiots.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2010, 02:06:05 PM »

Not just that, I understand many ordinances tend to start from here. Tokyo is the capital city afterall, Japan ain't all that big and we all know a majority of anime is broadcasted (and recorded) and then subbed later on from there. So, are you and should you be a little worried, yes. seriously, criticising where the information come from is kind of beside the point here, unless you are all too willing to prove your privy distinction as above the rest.

Since it is Tokyo, I have no doubt if the next elected prime minister is from the DPJ , chances are, it just might happen. (here's hoping it won't)

But, doubt not that the tension is there. There are many on protest as it is, mangaka as well are worried with the censorship, and we have also been fed censorship from broadcasted anime as of late anyway. Who is to say that a total ban on manga and anime as a media in the near future won't be possible? Would this debacle cause animosity among producers of shows and mangaka? Yes. Is that valid in the long run of anime broadcasting and creative future in this industry? Very yes.

Judging by the way this is going, I can only hope and cross fingers the next elected PM won't be one of these idiots. Moderates have pushed for bills that made no literal sense before, though I am not in immediate need to download everything in preparation for the worst, I am under the impression because of tensions and pokings like these that the future output of creativity may well plunder. That's why I say this again: when you have a good anime season, appreciate it. Seriously, people who say it sucks the whole season, and refuses to watch anything new cause they can't get beyond the 6th episode of something that seemed stale, or typical, are dumb.

(before this was the new censorship laws, before that was that 'bad exposure' debate which stirred up many emotional political leaders to voice their concerns, and before that was Agnes Chan, and then there was that thing about 'proposing heavier censorship' and the fact the animation industry is also one of the poorest paid jobs to have and 'no incentive to be in it unless you are fueled by passion' work model has pretty much stiffed what I can call a golden age for anime, manga and so on. frankly, is the trend going to get worse? I feel it might, even if a moderate government is formed.

---

On topic wise:

Ahahaha, Malaysia claims arrogance of Singapore leaks on insults and comments: Malaysia is a country with incompetent leaders and bordering on racial conflict.

I have to say, you gotta be pretty blind to not agree.
I am not anti-nationalist spirit, but let's say we have turned a blind eye over the lack of a cohesive NON-politic centered leader, for some time now. The last one I recalled was any good was way before I was born, and I dare say no one came close to Tunku Abdul Razak. I mean, oh hey, we people aren't exactly not in the know since the PKR caught the seat in Penang to form government here, federal funding has plummeted a huge 27 million dollars. YES, forget development, you get NOTHING. Why? the federal government wants to punish people for not voting them, myself included.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:13:40 PM by ♛ Λlstroemeria-F »

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »
Meh. Even if I'm included in the leak, my password isn't particularly difficult to figure out in the first place - and any site where I use this combination of username and password has no particular insight into my life that I'm not willing to share anyway.

The ultimate security is the realization that you're not interesting enough for someone to bother with.

JT

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »
9/11 responders bill defeated by Senate GOP filibuster

Republicans have also reiterated that no legislation will be considered in Congress until President Obama and Democrats cave on Bush-era tax cut extensions.

Help 9/11 responders? Nope. Not until we get tax cuts for our fat rich asses.

Fucking scum.

EDIT: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-december-13-2010/lame-as-f--k-congress?xrs=share_copy

Seriously, I can't remember the last time I was so infuriated by a political issue. I could spit on these people.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:15:37 PM by JT »

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2010, 01:24:50 AM »
disregarding if it was only in Tokyo, the pretty much sucks.

TOKYO ?

A Tokyo metropolitan assembly panel passed a controversial bill Monday to toughen regulations on the sale of comics and animations containing depictions of ??extreme?? sexual acts.

The bill to revise the metropolitan government?s ordinance seeking sound upbringing of youth will likely clear the assembly?s plenary session Wednesday for enactment.

Amid complaints from the publishing industry that the bill could violate freedom of expression and stifle creativity, a clause was added demanding the assembly give consideration to artistic and social expression and apply the ordinance carefully. But the clause will not be legally binding.

Protesting the assembly?s move, a group of 10 major publishers selling comics such as Kodansha Ltd., Shueisha Inc. and Kadokawa Group Publishing Co, issued a statement Friday that they will refuse to take part in the Tokyo International Anime Fair 2011 to be hosted by Tokyo Gov Shintaro Ishihara in March.

The bill calls on publishers to impose self-regulation on the sale of comics and animations containing depictions of rape and other penal offenses and those ??unduly lauding or exaggerating?? incestuous affairs so that people under the age of 18 cannot purchase or access them.

The bill will designate those that the metropolitan government determines as particularly malicious as ??unhealthy books?? and ban the publishers from selling them to young people.

The regulations will take effect on July 1 next year, and will not apply to comics and animations released before then.

At Monday?s meeting of the assembly?s general affairs committee, the bill gained approval from members of the Democratic Party of Japan, the Liberal Democratic Party and the New Komeito party, while those of the Japanese Communist Party and another minor caucus opposed it.

The assembly first submitted a bill of similar content in March but was voted down in June due to opposition from publishers as well as criticism by the assembly?s largest caucus?the DPJ?that the scope of its regulations was vague.

The initial bill stated that comics and animations depicting sexual intercourse by characters apparently under the age of 18 would hamper the healthy development of children and must be controlled.

because face it, Japan when it comes to self-regulation has always been one of those to bend over backwards. You just need to look at their policies worldwide.
How would this affect us as people who view anime from that country in the long run I wonder...

Tengukami

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2010, 01:32:44 AM »
Should also be noted this law applies only to people under the age of 18. Which, to be honest, isn't unprecedented, e.g., cinema, DVDs, and games. Whether it's right is a whole other story, but anyone over the age of 18 will still be able to legally purchase it. And for some reason I don't see this law effecting how a lot of the material is distributed anyway.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2010, 01:43:59 AM »
well, it is the general thing, because if you remove a target audience and rebadged it for 18 only, many publishers might wanna avoid the hassle and just plain cancel their stuff which was formerly floating about the legal border of for 15- for 16. This at least, might translate to many manga of a 'sexual nature' (which incase you haven't known are not really outlined in the law, it is noted with .etc, permitting what I believe would be entire censorship based on above newspaper quote) being canceled. I kinda figured even when harmless, no nudity shows like Seitokai Yakuindomo might be heavily censored as well.

I am also under the impression there is a majority of under 18s who are responsible consumers (yes, responsible) for such goods, I think it would affect in the long run of who can and who shall produce and consume, it is still a bad thing at least from this direction.

The bill calls on publishers to impose self-regulation on the sale of comics and animations containing depictions of rape and other penal offenses and those ‘‘unduly lauding or exaggerating’’ incestuous affairs so that people under the age of 18 cannot purchase or access them.

Of course, at the end of the day, I am sure nothing untoward might happen, there is a high chance it might not even affect the big picture as well.
BUT, are the publishers and content creators willing to bend for the government's 'implied censorship'? especially when according to the bill, it served mainly as 'to prevent the youths from being corrupted' or some sort of vague idea like that?

Let me put it this way: if the company I work for suddenly declared that I too, must wear a headscarf or some muslim headgear because I have to respect muslims in an islamic country I would stage a few protests and set a few fires.  (maybe)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:49:39 AM by ♛ Λlstroemeria-F »

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2010, 07:53:36 AM »
Japan passes vague bill in order to think of the children; anime fans panic.

TOKYO --

In what is being referred to as "The Third Impact" by Japanese animation fans, a reference to an event in the popular Neon Genesis Evangelion series in which otherworldly creatures exterminate all life on earth, Bill 156, a revision of the "Youth Healthy Development Ordinance," has been passed, enforcing stricter regulations on anime, manga and other related images in an effort to prevent exposure of lewd and inappropriate material to minors. Shortly after they received word of the bill's passing, denizens of the internet set forth, setting discussion boards ablaze with infuriated talk of how the world as they know it has turned upside down and nothing will ever be the same.

The restriction will begin in July of next year, and many have already suited up for action. In response, many members of the infamous 4chan message board, most known for their work under the guise of "Anonymous", have teamed up with a group of renegades from Japan's 2ch discussion board. Determined to show that they mean business, as per the Anonymous way, members have been distributing software designed to perform denial-of-service attacks on various Japanese government websites and institutions, similar to the attacks on those considered enemies of the much-talked-about WikiLeaks. Speaking of, some members are scouring the WikiLeaks cable documents themselves, searching for any ammunition to use against the Japanese government.

"This is unacceptable," says an Anonymous online user. "This was a blunt attack to the freedom of speech and artistic creativity. The government of Tokyo just proved that they just don't care about public opinion, even if the "people" support this (this isn't even clear), the major part of the publishers and people intellectual active in the country will despise this law because it is against the freedom they managed to achieve through decades of publications, and this can in the future extend to another fields."

The coming attacks will no doubt be an annoyance to those targeted, though these actions will have questionable results. It is entirely possible that the Japanese government could view such retaliation as a childish tactic and further put a grip on the law they have passed without allowing for any future consideration. Whatever the case, the Japanese animation industry looks to have a very interesting future ahead of it. Anything can happen between now and July, so keep your eyes peeled on the East.

JT

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2010, 08:13:39 AM »
Yeah, nothing's going to change. A month from now, all these people flipping their shit will have forgotten about it already.

dustyjo

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2010, 08:23:23 PM »
Yep. This is my feeling on it: if you and your self-important little group of script kiddies want to attack a website that DARES insult the irreproachable 4chan, then attack that site - not the thousands of other users who might have only registered just to leave a comment or two under an article. Way to get the public on your side, idiots.

I see it more as a warning that even websites with over a million members can have shitty security, they were even using DEP encryption (which was cracked well over 10 years ago) for the passwords.

I've checked the list and my account hasn't been compromised by some massive stroke of luck.

From what I can tell, the hackers got all this stuff and told gawker about it, but they were like "lol no you don't". This happened multiple times until the hackers just decided to release everything onto the internet.

Also, according to the screenshot, the new version of the gawker site so going to suck horribly and have ads for some water charity all over the place.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:29:59 PM by dustyjo »

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2010, 09:54:16 PM »
Repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' approved by Senate and awaiting President's signature next week.

Merry Christmas. <3
:toot:

Now they just need to finally get that bill through that gives medcare to the 9/11 first responders suffering heavily from aftereffects, financed by closing a tax loophole.
Seriously, every time that bill comes up on the Daily Show, it makes me want to punch a random politician.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:56:35 PM by Iryan »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."