Author Topic: [ROGUE] Okay let's play some NetHack (and DCSS!) (and Angband!) (and Slash'em!)  (Read 170865 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: Okay let's play some NetHack
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2010, 02:06:05 AM »
Goddamn dgamelaunch is a piece of shit.  Neither Nethack nor DCSS are loading.  And I can't figure out anything from the strace log.

EDIT: note to self, NEVER EVER DO chown -R games:games /var >_>
Nethack works at least, dunno why DCSS isn't.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 02:53:08 AM by ♪ Matsuoka Miku ♫ »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2010, 03:11:57 AM »
OK both Nethack and DCSS work (as well as the server oh god that was scary)

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Matsuri

« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2010, 05:08:30 PM »
Okay, gave the triela NetHack another try. It does indeed work, but no dumpfile is made when you die. Possibly a directory issue? :<

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2010, 07:43:32 PM »
Hmm ok I'll check what's up now.  Thanks for testing as there is literally zero documentation.

Matsuri

« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »
No prob. I'll give DCSS a try as well, but I don't think I'll be much help outside of obvious stuff, since I've never played it before ;x

Matsuri

« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »
Mm, logs work for DCSS. I just died super-fast 'cause I had no idea what I was doing :P

Success!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2010, 10:18:25 PM »
Aw yeah! Playing Nethack on the MotK server! Looking forward to it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Matsuri

« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2010, 12:39:18 AM »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2010, 01:38:07 AM »
They're sort of fixed.  For now they save as %d and it'll only be the latest one.  I will eventually have it save every single dump log with time stamps at death.

« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2010, 06:17:12 PM »
Testing out the Triela client:

--augh this movement scheme will take getting used to
--wait where did my pet go
--I just killed a floating eye at melee range without knowing what it was; dodged a bullet there :ohdear:
--falling down holes whee
--OH GOD ORCS
--OH GOD I'M BLIND
--oh, potions of extra healing can cure that; I am an idiot

It seems to be working quite well so far. Thanks, TSO!

EDIT: For some reason, the log wrote everything before the goodbye message twice.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:35:24 PM by rdj522 »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2010, 06:58:10 PM »
Weird.  Well I'm still working on the dumplog code so I can timestamp it, hopefully I'll find the cause of the duplication.

dustyjo

« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2010, 06:14:10 PM »

Tengukami

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »
Just wanted to add something - instructions for Linux users!

1. Open Terminal
2. Type telnet riela.shrinemaiden.org and press Enter.
3. Start playing NetHack.

(thanks for the tip, UK)

Also: ldfskgjsdfklhjfgh
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:21:24 PM by Tsukiko »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2010, 09:22:56 PM »
I hate werejackals. Look at what they made me do to my inventory!

Also, it seems that messages don't work in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. I tried sending one to Matsuri and nothing happened. I'm guessing he'll probably get it when he plays NetHack next, since one of dustyjo's sent messages carried over from one game to another.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2010, 09:25:48 PM »
Yeah there's probably a patch to get messages working on DCSS, I'll look into it.

Matsuri

« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2010, 09:27:37 PM »
Man, I have no idea what I'm doing in DCSS :V

Tengukami

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »
Man, I have no idea what I'm doing in DCSS :V

It's fun though!

Matsuri

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »
Oh, no doubt. So many races and classes. Got a lot of studying to do. :3

« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2010, 02:53:13 AM »
*grumblegrumble*yellow light*grumblegrumble*blindness*grumblegrumble*cockatrice

EDIT: By the way, that same floor I'd already killed rdj's and Ammy's ghosts. And Rikter's was back in Minetown. Yay bones files. <3
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:45:40 AM by Neal Caffrey »

Tengukami

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
Seems to be some server trouble at times. The game will freeze up on me, and I'll close Terminal. Coming back, I can log in fine, but hitting p makes it flash for a moment then I'm back at the menu.

Matsuri

« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2010, 02:19:17 PM »
I just played a round of DCSS, and it seems to be working all right. ;x

Tengukami

« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2010, 02:20:24 PM »
Yeah, Stone Soup is doing fine.

Forgot to mention that the error that comes up for me when trying to play Nethack is "Too many hacks right now". However, it showed only Rikter playing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:36:14 PM by Tsukiko »

« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2010, 03:47:49 PM »
*grumblegrumble*yellow light*grumblegrumble*blindness*grumblegrumble*cockatrice

EDIT: By the way, that same floor I'd already killed rdj's and Ammy's ghosts. And Rikter's was back in Minetown. Yay bones files. <3

I'm not sure how you could have seen that one coming...no pun intended. D=

And you found both of our ghosts on the same floor? I guess that means that bones files can have data added to them, then. ...Though I'm surprised that all the stuff you looted from my ghost became cursed. :V

Matsuri

« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
And you found both of our ghosts on the same floor? I guess that means that bones files can have data added to them, then. ...Though I'm surprised that all the stuff you looted from my ghost became cursed. :V

Most things you get from ghosts are cursed.

Tengukami

« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2010, 05:38:38 PM »

Whoah, good to know.

Matsuri

« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »
That's not to say you should avoid them at all costs, though. You still have a chance of finding good stuff on them, and if you have a way of blessing things, you can salvage some of the better things.

Tengukami

« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2010, 05:43:05 PM »
Well, I robbed Rikter's grave - two of them, actually -  and took on a lot of stuff, but now I know why the katana I decided to wield melded itself to my hand.

Matsuri

« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2010, 05:45:10 PM »
Yup. You can't un-equip cursed weapons, armor, and accessories unless you have a means of blessing them, among other hoops to jump through.

« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2010, 06:50:23 PM »

Heh, that's how I knew to label most of the stuff out of rdj's. (One of the two same-type rings was too but I didn't have BUC status for the other one ID'd either so I didn't know which one was which.) That particular ghost of Ammy's on that same floor didn't really have anything I wanted though. =P

Tengukami

« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2010, 07:57:25 PM »
Hey, I like to travel light.

Also, still getting that "too many hacks" message if so much as one other person is playing Nethack. Not that DCSS isn't fun, but I'm wondering why this happening.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:13:46 PM by Tsukiko »