Author Topic: IP CONTEST: Design us a flag! *DONE AND JUDGED!*  (Read 27010 times)

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
Re: IP CONTEST: Design us a flag!
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2010, 08:55:49 PM »
I don't know the Iji thing well enough to outright recognise the characters, but I'm loving the ripping off of religous art for MotK.  :V

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2010, 09:01:17 PM »
I see Purvis, TSO, Nobu, Ruro, Nwbi, and Letty.

Am I right? Mai en righta?

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
I see Purvis, TSO, Nobu, Ruro, Nwbi, and Letty.

Am I right? Mai en righta?

Almost. The one on the right of Fate is Kilga, not Nwbi. I had a hard time drawing her psychedelic hat.

Now that you mention it, her hat does resemble Nwbi's in some way....

I don't know the Iji thing well enough to outright recognise the characters, but I'm loving the ripping off of religous art for MotK.  :V

Thanks Torpedo~ I just love fine-art parodies. :V
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 09:33:41 PM by OkashiiKisei »

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2010, 09:28:59 PM »
Ah I had my doubts about that Nwbi guess, but I couldn't think of anyone else with a hat like that.

I get a "B"

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2010, 09:40:57 PM »
By the way, does anyone know the color palettes for Ruro, Kilga and Nobu? I know that Ruro has red hair, but that just about it. :ohdear:

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2010, 09:47:11 PM »
Here's Ruro

Nobus Was the only one I could find.

I don't think Kilga's colors were ever made public.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 09:50:29 PM by Cadmas »

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2010, 10:09:46 PM »
Thank you Cadmas. I think I'll just wing it with Kilga. Something Shikieiki-ish.

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2010, 12:02:58 AM »
Welp, it is still WIP, but this is just a placeholder for the colored version I am currently busy with.

As you can see it is a parody of the famous 'Touch of God' fresco, with Purvis as Adam, Fate as God and Kilga, Mint, Ruro and Nobu as the Angels. This flag depicts Purvis' ascension to Acolyte and guardian deity of CPMC, a historical moment for the entirety of MotK that deserves to be immortalized on pen and paper.

Ugh, I completely fucked up the hands. I didn't intend Ruro's mouth to come out like that either. I'm glad about Purvis and Fate's poses and anatomy and everyone's eyes though. If this becomes the flag I hope someone else with better drawing skills will one day make a superior version of this pic.

Anyway, on to coloring~

*Thundr nods*

YOU HAVE MADE THE GREAT ONE PROUD

HERE IS FIVE DOLLARS, GO SEE A MOVIE.

On a more serious note, good job. I've seen the coloured version JUST now...So...can't wait to see you post it!

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2010, 12:06:54 AM »
Finished!

The light coloring combined with the cracks in the background create a great 'old and worn' look that makes it resemble the original fresco. Besides the messed up hands and the hard to see skin color I quite like it. I'm happy I finished it before the deadline.

I'll post the inspiration/meaning here again:
As you can see it is a parody of the famous 'Touch of God' fresco, with Purvis as Adam, Fate as God and Kilga, Mint, Ruro and Nobu as the Angels. This flag depicts Purvis' ascension to Acolyte and guardian deity of CPMC, a historical moment for the entirety of MotK that deserves to be immortalized on pen and paper.

*Thundr nods*

YOU HAVE MADE THE GREAT ONE PROUD

HERE IS FIVE DOLLARS, GO SEE A MOVIE.

On a more serious note, good job. I've seen the coloured version JUST now...So...can't wait to see you post it!

Thanks Thundr. :3
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:57:12 PM by OkashiiKisei »

Easy Mode

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2010, 12:09:57 AM »
Too bad Mint isn't a mod.

edit:

Here's my flag.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:17:58 AM by Elizamode »

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2010, 01:44:01 AM »

The light coloring combined with the cracks in the background create a great 'old and worn' look that makes it resemble the original fresco. Nesides the messed up hands and the hard to see skin color I quite like it. I'm happy I finished it before the deadline.
Hands can be tough to get down right, so I can attest for the mess up there. Given practice though, you can smooth'em out more.

In any case, it looks fairly good colored.

"Cirno smash puny fairies!"
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2010, 08:35:47 AM »
Too bad Mint isn't a mod.

He once was though. And he's still the semi-final Phantasm boss in Ijiyatsu and the one who creates the Snowball Challenges. Since Ammy quit entirely I couldn't use him, so I used another person that used to have lots of authority and still has to some degree (he's still Shrine Janitor).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:24:28 AM by OkashiiKisei »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2010, 02:24:37 PM »
Not to mention the fact that I had nothing to do with Iji.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
I'm planning on doing judging and the like this evening to give any stragglers the heads up. Looking forward to it, as I've been pretty amazed with the turnout and been biting my tongue from commenting all this time :3

EDIT: Ohshi--Surprise deadline extend! Ehehehe... You get another 24 hours or so! Because i'm that nice, and totally not because I got distracted by a certain strategy game all ni--EN TARO ADUN
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:51:55 AM by Nobu »
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2010, 06:25:51 PM »

Here we have a flag that truly symbolizes CPMC. The golden saltire represents the glorious crossroads this forum serves as. It is abutted by the green and verdant lands of content and useful information, as well as the dark lands of biting wit, spam, and interesting derails. All roads lead from these places to CPMC. But as well, the road is not a straight one, for the wily ways of CPMC twist and turn in all sorts of ways. Yet, unerringly, they all lead to the center we know so well.

This, I think, best represents this wonderous forum.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2010, 08:27:26 PM »
Since you all do it, i'll put in an explanation for my flag too. Here's it again

The 3 blue circles represent the three principles of Lord Cirno, Knowledge, Strength and Temperature.
The two white circles at the edge represent common sense trying to enter this wonderous world, but failing.
The light blue bands explain us how small we in fact are compared to Cirno, whose awesome is represented by the back part, engraved with "In nomine Cirnonis amen" which means "In the name of Cirno, Amen". This is a common phrase used by followers of the Church of Cirno. And even common sense bows down to her might.

Easy Mode

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2010, 09:33:34 PM »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
IP CONTEST: Design us a flag!
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2010, 11:21:45 PM »
Purvis' flag is so irie, mon.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2010, 12:28:20 AM »
Purvis' flag is so irie, mon.

Right on, me brejen.

Neonie

• EYE AM A TYE TILL
  • ⑨ Baka Nine
    • Gem Wings
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2010, 02:32:19 AM »

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2010, 04:28:13 AM »
I like Purvis' flag.
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2010, 06:25:21 AM »
Alright! People have waited long enough. Dear god there's a lot of entries.

I'll be utilizing a respected grading method known the world over for it's fairness and balance, and tweaking it to my purposes. (I.E. using the pictures and purging the rest)

And a note first: If I didn't include your description in here, it's nothing personal. It likely just means that I hold a grudge against you.

First, Cadmas's entry:

Rating: 74 / 100
Commentary: Fantastic symbolism you have going here. I see the sickle and hammer representing the working classes brought under servitude during our maiden's captivity, and the very tools we used to overthrow them and restore things to as they should be. Just hope no one tries to rip off your idea :ohdear:

Bread's entry:

Rating:  8 / 10
Commentary: This will be a great battle standard for our Imperial Navy. And both you and Cadmas get secret Amusement awards because blue and gold were my high school colors, and the colors of one of my top picks for graduate school. :3

Ammy's entry with accompanying explanation:

My flag borrows colors from Cirno's color scheme, employing the shape of her wings and a frozen frog. I think that's pretty self-explanatory, but I went with the horizontal triple-stripe thing because so many countries use this flag design, and we have a pretty international community here in CPMC.

Rating: 84/ 100
Commentary: I like the thought you put into the symbolism of this flag, and extra bonus points with the international community bit. However, i'm less than pleased that you must evoke imagery recalling the petty rivalry. We are past those days now, and as Suwako-sama is willing to pardon our transgressions we should be willing to keep the past buried.

GBZero's entry:

Rating: 9 / 17
Commentary: Oh god, my nutbladder. This made me do a double take. Ahahaha.

Drake's entry:

[attach=1]

Rating: 842 / 1000
Commentary: Wee! This is simple yet fun flag, and easy to look at.

Iryan's entry:

[attach=2]

Rating: :V / :getdown:
Commentary: Best use of :V I've seen in a while.

Lloyd's entry with accompanying explanation:

[attach=3]

Gray-ish MotK background, because I feel at home with the theme, frequenting this place...
Everyone's included in the flag, based on the season 2 of custom tags, including orange members (the orange lines/borders, if you will)...
Adminstrator, Global Mod, Acolyte, Shrine Janitor and Gensokyo Cop divided semi-equally on the circle of... tag members xD, because they're just around, keeping MotK a comfortable place to be at home |3...
Idiots placed where there can be space for three (the bottom part of the circle), without destroying the (imaginary) symmetry. They just had to be together, idiots and all xD
The rest of the, uhh, custom tag members distributed randomly according to color and job. For example, the Librarian sorts literary works, BunBunmaru Staff for news...
Oh, Birthday Tag placed in the center. Thou shall not forget whence you came.... or some similar "Creation" thought |V. Also centered and overlapping the layers of others, because everyone gets their birthdays once a year! (or once every 4 years for those born in Feb.29 xD *ピチューーン*)
Though if I judge it myself... it's a tad too flashy and too colorful for a flag >_<;;

Rating: Five stars!
Commentary: Wow. Oh wow. This is really cool. I like this. And :toot: is one of my favorite emotes too, so bonus!

Pozeal's entry:

Rating: 9 / 12
Commentary: I like the way you draw derp. It looks especially derpy and cute. And grats, you get the award for 'First entry that doesn't look like a flag!'. It wins you... nothing! :toot:

E-Mouse's entry:

Rating: -100 / 100
Commentary: You fool! This contest was to inaugurate our indepedence, not celebrate our captors! Tory scum!

Slave's entry:

[attach=4]

Rating: 867 / 5309
Commentary: Can someone explain to me why sweet bro and hella jeff is funny? I never got it. :< Though I find myself going "I warned you about stairs, bro!" so it must be infecting me just a little bit. Also, because I somehow like this flag.

Momiji's entry and explanation:

[attach=5]

The blue and white background represent the vast crystalline wasteland of CPMC.  The purple circle represents the chaos and mischief of the forum denizens, along with the authority and command of Yukari and her gaps, balancing out the order of the background.  On top of it all, the expression of expressions, the colonvee.

Emblazoned:  Per fess azure and argent, on a golpe, or a colonvee emoticon, body in fess, head to sinister.
Spoiler:
Without the colonvee:  Per fess azure and argent, a golpe.  Try it in a blazon generator, it should work.

Rating: 25 (or 6 / 4 )
Commentary: Is that a custom drawn :V ? Love it, only recommendation is giving the colonvee his required tilt, so we don't get sued by Namco. Our fledgling nation cannot handle the financial burden.  :ohdear:

Thaws' entry:

[attach=6]

Rating: (9) / 18
Commentary: Well, you tried. A for effort. :toot: (Unfortunately, anything higher than a C is considered an affront to our god, so sucks to be you :ohdear: )

Sercan's entry:

Rating: 46/100
Commentary: Man, I can't look at this for more than a few seconds before getting nauseous and wanting to turn away.

.....wait, that's PERFECT.

OkashiiKisei's entry:

[attach=7]

The light coloring combined with the cracks in the background create a great 'old and worn' look that makes it resemble the original fresco. Besides the messed up hands and the hard to see skin color I quite like it. I'm happy I finished it before the deadline.

I'll post the inspiration/meaning here again:

Rating: 2 / 170

1. This is supposed to be a flag.
2. You left out Matsuri!
3. Why am they using me as a beanbag? :matsuri:

Mode's entry:

Rating: nine outa ten!!
Commentary: i tink ur kawaee 2 ;D

Purvis's entry:

Here we have a flag that truly symbolizes CPMC. The golden saltire represents the glorious crossroads this forum serves as. It is abutted by the green and verdant lands of content and useful information, as well as the dark lands of biting wit, spam, and interesting derails. All roads lead from these places to CPMC. But as well, the road is not a straight one, for the wily ways of CPMC twist and turn in all sorts of ways. Yet, unerringly, they all lead to the center we know so well.

This, I think, best represents this wonderous forum.
Rating: 420 / 1000
Commentary: Self-explanatory.

Neonie's entry:

Rating: Ah hell, I give up.
Commentary: Simple, yet powerful. And a little bit sexy too. Mmm, Union Jack.

DONE! Jesus, that took me forever. I never expected that this little contest I threw together as a whim would get 17 entrants. Everyone should give themselves a pat on the back for one! And two, ignore the ratings because they're a bunch of bullplop. :v Now for awards. With 17 entrants, I think 3 is a good number of titles to give out. (Not an easy job either, because I seriously loved a lot of these entries, and there was no entry I flat disliked.)

The entry that made me smile most was Lloyd's. Using the icons of all our different user titles was an awesome idea, and I especially like that you put our Happy Birthday tag in the middle as opposed to a staff position. This is a flag I could get behind.

The entry that made me bust out laughing the most was Purvis's. Thus, you get IP as we---er... I guess i'll have to give it to the next hardest laugher-makerer, which was GBZero's entry. Totally caught me off guard.

And the rookie award is going to Neonie, for submitting both a respectable entry and also for being a fresh face around these parts that seems to fit in well enough around here. May god help your soul Congrats!

And that's all! I'll reiterate: I loved seeing every new entry and y'all brought smiles to my faces. Thanks for participating everyone! And to you new Idiot Princesses, I look forward to the possibility that one of you will consider challenging an Idiot Maiden for their spot, because it's been so long since we've seen a challenge around these parts. :3 Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:19:47 AM by Nobu »

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Re: IP CONTEST: Design us a flag! *DONE AND JUDGED!*
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2010, 02:21:50 AM »
And... bump!

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2010, 02:27:15 AM »
I'm of the opinion that anything with a plagiarism tag on it should be given a 0. Nothing personal, just professional practice  :V

A large number of those made me crack up, so good job!
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2010, 02:41:54 AM »
Oh, cool.

So, where are we flying that flag?
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Just a GBZero

• <Kaisou> ...Yeah, kinda small, but I think it works...
  • Too much manga now means not enough manga
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2010, 02:59:23 AM »
I... Actually won.  Thats a bit surprising since its my first contest entry for anything here.

Ayuka

• Pursuer of cute things
  • Not obsessive in the slightest.
    • Neko Arrange
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2010, 03:00:42 AM »
'Grats to Lloyd, Purvis, and GBZero!
The ratings were hilarious to read, too. :3
EDIT: 'grats Neonie too! Sorry I didn't put you in the fist time. >_<
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:31:12 AM by Ayuka Nekomata »

Neonie

• EYE AM A TYE TILL
  • ⑨ Baka Nine
    • Gem Wings
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2010, 03:22:29 AM »
Oh man I wake up to a shiney new idiot princess badge. I couldn't be more happy *tear* thank you all so much. *Tries to bow but winds up putting his head down to far and falling off the stage causing blue flower petals to scatter all over the audience*

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2010, 03:31:19 AM »
Can someone explain to me why sweet bro and hella jeff is funny? I never got it. :< Though I find myself going "I warned you about stairs, bro!" so it must be infecting me just a little bit. Also, because I somehow like this flag.

intentional crappiness is usually pretty funny. SBAHJ just oozes with it.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2010, 03:59:14 AM »
Oh man I wake up to a shiney new idiot princess badge. I couldn't be more happy *tear* thank you all so much. *Tries to bow but winds up putting his head down to far and falling off the stage causing blue flower petals to scatter all over the audience*

Now don't do it like I did, sticking with that tag forever until the wipe D: that sucks
Challenge someone :3
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .