Author Topic: "Games You're Playing Right Now" Thread: The Contested Sequel  (Read 145582 times)

Re: "Games You're Playing Right Now" Thread: The Contested Sequel
« Reply #960 on: September 26, 2011, 10:26:21 PM »
Going back to Minecraft for the first time in a while, attempting 1CC of 10D Normal whenever I'm awake enough to do so.

« Reply #961 on: September 27, 2011, 02:53:15 PM »
Started playing the HD-'re-release' of RE: Code Veronica X. They updated the graphics on water but that's basically it as far as I can tell. Fun game still, nice atmosphere to it too. Despite the terribufuckus voice acting and the even worse controls.

Anyone here who've played that game? If so, anyone agree to the Bandersnatch enemy making you want to smash up innocent puppies with a sledgehammer? If you say no then you probably haven't played it.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #962 on: September 28, 2011, 04:42:22 AM »
Kirby Mass Attack.
Gotta say, it's got some great minigames.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #963 on: September 28, 2011, 09:56:33 AM »
Oh hey, Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is out on PS3 now!

Oh hey, where the hell did my Tuesday go? D:

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #964 on: September 28, 2011, 10:30:03 AM »
7th Dragon replay.

Destroying everything pretty nicely. That's all I have to say.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #965 on: September 29, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »
Alice Madness Returns.

Damn you Executioner!

Formless God

« Reply #966 on: September 30, 2011, 04:57:44 AM »
also the game is depressingly EASY, what the hell, I still haven't had to heal once
They probably toned down the difficulty (for the first 10 hours, at least). I remember Lich's Deathbound being very powerful and the timers not pausing during battles.
It gets noticeably harder from the Mt. Iwato boss onward. Almost got killed by Diamond Dust, and the Malaques spammers in Katatsumuri can take out 1/5 of my team's HP now.

The battle system ... makes FF12 look good and fast-paced in comparison. Set three members to a fusion, one member to Media, and the slowest member to an ailment-curing spell, wait until boss dies. Even if some enemies are resistant to my attacks or my team is fully healed, I'd rather slowly chip their health away or waste my heal instead of having to re-setup the entire goddamned sequence while every input takes a whole second to get through.

On the bright side, the story is pretty good.

Zap

• Embodiment of Lightning
  • Shocking, isn't it?
« Reply #967 on: September 30, 2011, 09:58:53 AM »
Went back to playing Final Fantasy 9. Ah, the memories...
Tried fighting the optional boss Hades when everyone was at, what, Lv 50'ish? What was I thinking? I got wiped out!

« Reply #968 on: September 30, 2011, 10:22:59 AM »
Fighting 2 Hunters at the same time in Code Veronica X is the cheapest thing ever. Its also hella fun when you get almost to the end of Rockfort Island with Chris and then get jumped by a hunter that kills you, despite you being only in yellow caution state sending me straight back to the beginning of Rockfort Island with Chris right before fighting that damn worm.

This title needs checkpoints man.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #969 on: October 02, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »
Oh man.
C&C: RA2.
Awesomeness.

Gotta love Tanya's 1-Hit Kill on infantry.
And wiring buildings to go boom? Priceless.

Wasn't too impressed with the Soviet disc's campaign, so I tried Allied's.
Pure awesome.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #970 on: October 03, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »
Welp, it's official, I hate myself and want nothing but torment in my life.

I started EO3 again.

:colonveeplusalpha:

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #971 on: October 03, 2011, 03:36:25 PM »
100%! 100%! C'mon, it's toooootally worth it. >:D
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #972 on: October 03, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »
100%! 100%! C'mon, it's toooootally worth it. >:D
I don't 100% games.  I just don't find it even slightly enjoyable.

Hell, even beating EO3 will be a crazy accomplishment for me.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #973 on: October 03, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »
Oh man.
C&C: RA2.
Awesomeness.

Gotta love Tanya's 1-Hit Kill on infantry.
And wiring buildings to go boom? Priceless.

Wasn't too impressed with the Soviet disc's campaign, so I tried Allied's.
Pure awesome.
Suuuuch a great game. Tanya isn't willing to babysit you forever, but it's just as well since she can't damage tanks and the like and tanks overshadow infantry soon. Still lots of fun with a good array of different missions, even if everything does boil down to steamrolling the ruskies.

The Soviet campaign might not be as exciting at the get-go as the Allied one, but it does have its moments
Spoiler:
Paris! The Alamo! The part that they voluntarily took off the covers! ;_;
Besides, everyone must deal with the pain, misery, and frustration that is the Soviets' penultimate mission.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #974 on: October 03, 2011, 06:04:14 PM »
I'm still pretty early in both campaigns.
On the allied side, I'm at the first level where you get to futz around with spies.
Lost Tanya to an attack dog, said to hell with it and stopped for the night.
On the soviet side, I'm still on the level where you have to capture the science lab with an engineer and turn it into a psy-beacon.
And then defend it from aerial troops.
And I didn't have enough flak troops/tracks to defend it in time, so it got blasted.

This was like, level 2 or something I think, I was still getting the hang of what units work best.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #975 on: October 03, 2011, 06:34:42 PM »
Besides, everyone must deal with the pain, misery, and frustration that is the Soviets' penultimate mission.
Gaaah THAT mission. I can't remember the last time I ever did it the "legit" way, I usually just
Spoiler:
build Kirovs until I can't build any more then direct them at the target

It's worth it for the fun of the final mission, though.

Reddyne

« Reply #976 on: October 03, 2011, 08:25:46 PM »
I'm still pretty early in both campaigns.
On the allied side, I'm at the first level where you get to futz around with spies.
Lost Tanya to an attack dog, said to hell with it and stopped for the night.
On the soviet side, I'm still on the level where you have to capture the science lab with an engineer and turn it into a psy-beacon.
And then defend it from aerial troops.
And I didn't have enough flak troops/tracks to defend it in time, so it got blasted.

This was like, level 2 or something I think, I was still getting the hang of what units work best.
Yeah. The Allied campaign comes out strong, although a lot of Allied campaign missions are pretty straightforward. The Soviet missions have a slightly wider variety of missions, but they aren't quick out of the gate. Stick with both of them, but the Soviet campaign might win out in terms of variety and ridiculousness in the end.

Also, never underestimate the engineer. On that Soviet mission, you're encouraged to snatch up the three oil refineries right off the bat. Still, you can swing in and snatch up an Allied barracks and war factory, allowing you to make IFV units, which are great anti-air units because of how mobile they are. Throughout both the campaigns, the engineers prove to be useful and give the game more flexibility. Heck, if you know where to look in your most recent Allied mission, you can have an engie capture an ore refinery and a barracks, allowing you to make a giant army of conscripts, which in turn lets you rush both nuclear missile sites with a giant wave of ruskies instead of having Tanya risk her neck. When you're REALLY ready, you can do a run in which only engineers capture opposing buildings instead of destroying them. Of course, defensive structures and soldiers are fair game, but it takes quite a bit of patient to only use engineers to deal with opposing buildings.
It's worth it for the fun of the final mission, though.
Yeah. You could either go on a giant Kirov curbstomp or slowly suffocate the Allies to death. Both took some time, but were beyond gratifying.

« Reply #977 on: October 04, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »
So... inspired by some Modern Warfare hater comments I started playing MW2. I for one don't think its a piece of shit. The Spec Ops missions are fun and I appreciate a seriously stupid story if just there is explosions enough. Why else would I be playing Touhou?  :V
So I managed to clear the final few missions i have left which means I've now done all of them on Veteran and its solo since I have no one to play with... and because solo is more fun for me anyway.

Just too bad that you need to play co-op to clear two of the Ops. It sucks that I can't just do them alone.

« Reply #978 on: October 04, 2011, 07:29:32 PM »
Welp, it's official, I hate myself and want nothing but torment in my life.

I started EO3 again.

:colonveeplusalpha:

I feel vaguely bad for you.  And then I remember that it's currently sitting in my game collection, waiting for me to finish it, too.  I dunno if I'll ever finish it, such a tough game sometimes. 

All I'm playing right now is Devil Survivor(Overclocked) and SMT Strange Journey.  Thinking about reinstalling either Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas for something to play.  That and Spiral Knights with friends.  Far more fun with friends.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #979 on: October 05, 2011, 12:43:37 AM »
I've started playing Mega Man Battle Network 2 over.  The catch?  I'm doing it on Hard Mode (Most people don't even know there's a Hard Mode).  All enemy HP and damage output is increased by 50%, which becomes even harder when that compounds into "It's way harder to get good chips", and what seems like a simple 'cheap' difficulty boost suddenly becomes massive.  Such as QuickMan v2

Oh, and then there's the part where every 'forced' virus encounter in the game, previously entirely forgettable, are deliberately replaced.  With absolute bullshit fights that are harder than the boss fights some of the time.  This is just a single battle that took me several tries - the ALicense exam's first survival battle took me a good 30 attempts or so!

And yes, for anyone who's an EXE fan, I'll actually be uploading more videos hopefully daily of my progress so feel free to subscribe heck yeah advertising

HolmCross

• Sad Robot
  • Is not a gun
« Reply #980 on: October 05, 2011, 01:56:07 AM »
Currently slogging through Disgaea 4 since my import arrived about a week ago.

Since I gave 3 a miss, there's a lot of new content and gameplay modes to try. Don't know how I feel about the online features; creating your own Item World Pirates to send to other players sounds fun, but it all automated. Dammit, I want to to be raiding other player's item worlds, not a computer.

Complaints aside, it's still Disgaea, so I'll keep playing it. For the power of Sardines!
My mouth is not so much a communications tool as an exhaust port for my brain.

Twitter | Steam | Seek your own Wonderland

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #981 on: October 05, 2011, 02:07:37 AM »
I've started playing Mega Man Battle Network 2 over.  The catch?  I'm doing it on Hard Mode (Most people don't even know there's a Hard Mode).  All enemy HP and damage output is increased by 50%, which becomes even harder when that compounds into "It's way harder to get good chips", and what seems like a simple 'cheap' difficulty boost suddenly becomes massive.  Such as QuickMan v2

Oh, and then there's the part where every 'forced' virus encounter in the game, previously entirely forgettable, are deliberately replaced.  With absolute bullshit fights that are harder than the boss fights some of the time.  This is just a single battle that took me several tries - the ALicense exam's first survival battle took me a good 30 attempts or so!

And yes, for anyone who's an EXE fan, I'll actually be uploading more videos hopefully daily of my progress so feel free to subscribe heck yeah advertising

Oh god yes I love this game
I don't get all the hate for the series
I'm debating whether to play 3, my favorite, or 5, another, for my YouTube account.

upload some more

« Reply #982 on: October 05, 2011, 02:31:40 AM »
Hm, I didn't know Hard Mode did THAT.

I'm actually considering going back and playing the series again in honor of it recently turning ten years old; I might actually consider doing an LP of it as well.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #983 on: October 05, 2011, 02:38:49 AM »
Restarted through Fallout 3

God I'm stupid I have every single DLC installed and the only ones I've ever did were Operation: Anchorage. Mothership Zeta and Broken Steel (So never did The Pitt and Point Lookout)

I've also never 100%'ed this thing, nor did I ever kill all 5 Behemoths, and this is my sixth playthrough of the game.

I'm stupid, please hit me.

(ALSO MY NEW GPU RUNS THIS THING EXTREMELY SMOOTHLY ON MEDIUM GRAPHICS

MY LAST ONE LAGGED ON ABSOLUTE MINIMUM GRAPHICS WITH NO ENEMIES ONSCREEN

OH GOD <3)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:53:25 AM by Kitty Ears Sacchi »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #984 on: October 05, 2011, 06:57:29 AM »
Hm, I didn't know Hard Mode did THAT.

I'm actually considering going back and playing the series again in honor of it recently turning ten years old; I might actually consider doing an LP of it as well.
If you LP that, I will LP its sequal series (Star Force).  Seriously.

Also when I get home I'll upload the A-License exam first half.  Complete with blooper reel beacuse AGHGHGHGHRHGHGHRGH
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:00:32 AM by Garlyle »

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #985 on: October 05, 2011, 07:49:40 AM »
Shit, I wish I had someone to stomp mercilessly for the special chips so I can get hard mode.  The one thing that would piss me off though would be that you can't get pop-up from the dog virus anymore.  Have to gamble with the chip trader.  Stupid extra HP.  Hard Mode Bass Deluxe vs. Yuyuko folder, on the other hand... <3

As for what I'm playing right now, I'm doing Castlevania CotM and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.  CotM, well, Dracula's a huge jerk, I'm ten levels under the suggested one, and I'm not using the DSS glitch.  Assassin's Creed, though, I'm just screwing around with side missions before doing the part that opens up the Vatican.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:46:10 AM by Sophilia »
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

« Reply #986 on: October 05, 2011, 08:18:48 AM »
God I'm stupid I have every single DLC installed and the only ones I've ever did were Operation: Anchorage. Mothership Zeta and Broken Steel (So never did The Pitt and Point Lookout)

You missed the best DLC's too. Shame on you!

Reddyne

« Reply #987 on: October 05, 2011, 01:48:03 PM »
So... inspired by some Modern Warfare hater comments I started playing MW2. I for one don't think its a piece of shit. The Spec Ops missions are fun and I appreciate a seriously stupid story if just there is explosions enough. Why else would I be playing Touhou?  :V
It's not bad, but it's not as spectacular as the mainstreamers would like to believe it is. That whole style of shooter has been done to death, and actually I think the earlier ones did a better job of it. It's silly fun with a ridiculous plot tossed in to keep things going. Also, a friend of mine and I were busy doing Veteran Spec Ops missions for yuks. Maybe I should post our shenanigans since he recorded a (choppy) stream of them.
Restarted through Fallout 3
Even if you're not one for mods, I highly recommend the GNR: More Where That Came From mod. It's an extra 100 period appropriate songs/adverts such as Sweet Georgia Brown, Mr. Sandman, some Louis Armstrong songs, Vault-tec commercials, and other things. The file is huge, but it comes in 5 parts so you can download as much as you want. I do like to play the game vanilla and the game threw a hissy fit when I tried to mod its pants off, but increasing the number of songs you'll hear on the only radio station worth listening to by six times it's original track total was well worth it.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #988 on: October 05, 2011, 02:11:35 PM »
CoD: MW2 wasn't a bad game, but not that good either; however, it was a decent B-movie :V. Spec Ops is fun, although not quite a CoD4 Arcade Mode replacement. Multiplayer, however, was horrible, especially on the PC version, and IMO it was not worth US$60 (more like 15-30, especially if MP wasn't a concern).

CoD: MW3 doesn't look too bad either (again, from the B-movie perspective), but I'll wait for it to drop in price since I know I won't be getting $60 worth of fun from single-player and Spec Ops alone (that, and I bought BF3 instead for MP madness and to test my computer hardware for once).

..but my computers are broken, so no BF3 beta for me yet.

On another note, Gundemonium Collection looks quite good. Yet more money goes down, goddamnit ~
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:23:57 PM by あややや Newspapers Conglomerate »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #989 on: October 05, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Still playing Pokemon White.  Took some time off of completing to the dex to try Matsuda's Method and get a Shiny Misdreavus.