Author Topic: "Games You're Playing Right Now" Thread: The Contested Sequel  (Read 143966 times)

Re: "Games You're Playing Right Now" Thread: The Contested Sequel
« Reply #990 on: October 05, 2011, 09:37:44 PM »
Crysis for Xbox 360!!! And PS3 but nobody has that system anyway. (Except I had one until a year ago when I was forced to sell it, hardest decision of my life and so on)
Its actually pretty impressive how good the game looks considering the age of the hardware. It doesn't look as good as a high end PC's handling of the game but no one with a sane mind would ever expect that. And the game is actually pretty fun. Its a different breed from other FPS games that's for sure. And it seems a hella lot better than Crysis 2 which played basically like a piss-easy stealth game or a piss-easy Call of Duty clone. Not impressed with that one.

It's not bad, but it's not as spectacular as the mainstreamers would like to believe it is.

No it certainly isn't. I've seen some people claim it to be the best game ever made. Its just not. I consider it a first person shooter without anything particularly original about it but it has sharp controls and all the expected mechanics, a good soundtrack and a high paced action-style movie campaign. I would never call it the best game ever made though. In fact, I don't even think such a game exists.

CoD: MW3 doesn't look too bad either (again, from the B-movie perspective), but I'll wait for it to drop in price since I know I won't be getting $60 worth of fun from single-player and Spec Ops alone

Hehe. That's where I managed to use my own personal manipulative abilities and talked a friend into buying it AND Gears 3 for me. (okay, there are other circumstances but still!!!) As for the multiplayer, yeah its shit. I somehow spent 7 hours playing it. Multiplayer is actually fun if you are drunk or in another way euphorized. :)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #991 on: October 06, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »
Shim? Thanks a lot man.
Now you got me playing EO3. :V

I mean this in a very grateful way, I've been meaning to play it!
Princes are freakin' sweet. Are they unharmed during a fight? Free heals each turn!
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #992 on: October 06, 2011, 07:49:42 PM »
Princes are freakin' sweet. Are they unharmed during a fight? Free heals each turn!
But I hope you're not relying on that healing, because the moment someone pokes (or utterly murders) your Prince, the rest of your party dies horrible, screaming deaths.

Prince is a sweet subclass for Monk, though.  Vice versa also works, but Form Qi is just so much better.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #993 on: October 06, 2011, 08:01:41 PM »
Reliable enough on the early floors with Monarchic March and Triumphant Cry though.

So far the team composition I'm using is....

Front row: Buccaneer(Gun-user), Wilder(wildling?), Gladiator(sword spec, eventually adding clubs for Nine Strikes).
Back Row: Farmer(Gathering/EXP+), Prince.
I also have an alternate team I was using up until i started using the other classes.

Front Row: Buccaneer(Same as above. Same one in fact.) Hoplite, Ninja.
Back Row: Zodiac, Monk.

So far the current team is doing much better than my first one, largely because I don't have to spend any TP to heal anymore, and the Gladiator's hitting around 80-100 damage with a Scramasax.

...So what if I did a shitload of grinding? Not like I can do much other than that. when those goddamn hippos on B3F are always getting in the way.
Besides, I've noticed that there's a lot of artificial stupidity. the enemies rarely ever go after the Prince, largely because the front row has more valid threats.
I mean, when there's a Gladiator who can make mincemeat of the Largebills and Gigapedes in just one or two swings, then yeah, they're gonna focus the front a lot more often than the back.
Like I mentioned earlier, this means that most of the damage they end up doing is for naught, as the Prince just heals it away.

An experimental team I once read about was something like....
Front Row: Hoplite x3
Back Row: Prince x2
With the Hoplites drawing all the attacks to the Front Row, the two Princes in back are able to just buff away the pain.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #994 on: October 06, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »
Front row: Buccaneer(Gun-user), Wilder(wildling?), Gladiator(sword spec, eventually adding clubs for Nine Strikes).
Back Row: Farmer(Gathering/EXP+), Prince.
Don't bother with Nine Smashes.  Even with the Arbalist subclassed for maxed out Proper Form, you still get between 2 and 9 hits, they can still miss, and the damage output is low.  A G/A is better off using Front Mortar and Double Action.
...So what if I did a shitload of grinding? Not like I can do much other than that. when those goddamn hippos on B3F are always getting in the way.
With that team, you'd have to grind to hell and back.  The Gladiator and Buccaneer are the only reliable damage dealers for random encounters, the Wildling would get expensive too fast.  You can get by without a Monk for a while, but once you get subclasses, you are definitely going to want at least one - and the Prince is still a good choice.  Also, you do know you're supposed to go around the hippos, right?
Besides, I've noticed that there's a lot of artificial stupidity. the enemies rarely ever go after the Prince, largely because the front row has more valid threats.
I believe the targeting priority is based on max hp, among other factors, and they'll go for the front row first.  Thus a Hoplite or Gladiator in the front row will take the majority of single-target attacks,
An experimental team I once read about was something like....
Front Row: Hoplite x3
Back Row: Prince x2
With the Hoplites drawing all the attacks to the Front Row, the two Princes in back are able to just buff away the pain.
It'll be hard as hell to kill, but it won't do crap for damage.  Plenty of Line Guards, Protect and Prevent Orders, and the Antis to go around, but when are you going to hit anything?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #995 on: October 06, 2011, 08:34:13 PM »
Here's the beauty of it, the Wildling doesn't use skills, just that Tetsukiyari spear is good enough.
To be honest, just the default attack is good enough for most enemies.

But yeah, my main idea was to slog along with the current team until I get subclasses, then start really screwing around with crazy ideas.

And besides, the hoplite-prince team idea was just an experimental idea I was toying with.
I'll probably use a refined version once I get subclasses.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

diane21

• Spammer
  • No, we don't want to buy Traveler's Japanese app
« Reply #996 on: October 06, 2011, 09:05:19 PM »
Recently playing by me "Magic 12" Carnival Game . I always like that type Maths tricks and puzzle games. This is also proved by science Maths game and puzzle makes brain strong and challenging.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:10:17 PM by diane21 »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #997 on: October 07, 2011, 06:20:05 AM »
But I hope you're not relying on that healing, because the moment someone pokes (or utterly murders) your Prince, the rest of your party dies horrible, screaming deaths.
Not really.  The healing order that the Prince can place does some serious recharging.  It's still possible to get overwhelmed but honestly I've found that with it maxed it's very, very rare - it's caused more by my prince getting locked down by ailments for a long period of time (long enough for the buffs to wear off) more than from my party getting outdamaged generally - and if a prince is getting locked down by ailments a monk isn't really going to have much of an advantage in terms of healing either; hell, at least the prince's buffs will keep going.

A Monk is apparently still pretty much a necessity for postgame, but for maingame, a Prince can do more than enough it seems.

Formless God

« Reply #998 on: October 07, 2011, 07:39:12 AM »
Musou Orochi Z. I used to call KOEI's games repetitive carp, but suddenly they feel so addictive now.

Running at everything maxed. All those crisp models man.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #999 on: October 07, 2011, 07:47:36 AM »
Aaand done.
Let's fight.