Author Topic: Lem needs advice on an HDTV setup.  (Read 3490 times)

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Lem needs advice on an HDTV setup.
« on: April 20, 2010, 06:52:30 PM »
I've been playing various games on my 360 and PS3 on and off for some time now, but after playing FF13 and Bioshock 2, I've become increasingly aggravated with the hard to read text on my SDTV. So, I figured it was finally time to upgrade to this little number, which I found at Fry's Electronics for a reasonable price.

I have a Wii, PS3 Slim, 360 (non-elite), and a PS2. The monitor I linked to has two HDMI ports, one set of composite ports and one set of component ports (plus the antenna port for regular TV and such). I can plug the 360 into the component ports (since it doesn't have an HDMI port, which is unfortunate but not a staggering loss), the PS3 into an HDMI port, but that leaves my Wii and PS2 kind of out in the cold since the PS2 can't transfer to HD very well most of the time (at least, that's what I read on GameFAQs), and I have little clue about where/how to input the Wii so it'll come out in HD as well.

I picked out the Samsung LN32C350 monitor mostly for the price and its size, since:
-I sit rather close to my TV (four or five feet), so it's impractical to get something upwards of 40" or higher. For one thing, it wouldn't fit, and bigger TVs are more suitable for larger rooms.
-I am not made of money, though I get fair amount each month. I can get something in the 400-700 dollar range, maybe a bit higher, but that might be overdoing it.
-Samsung's pretty good about their monitors, in my opinion, since my dad and I both use that brand on our computers (my dad's PC monitor is better than mine, lol). This is just personal experience, I'm not trying to plug Samsung or anything, so feel free to suggest another brand (my dad actually found this Vizio monitor for cheaper than what Amazon or Fry's are selling for the Samsung one, so that's another option).

I would like some feedback on how I should have my consoles set up, and if my plan is practical or not. Like I said, I have money, just not an exorbitant amount of it, so keep price points in mind when suggesting items I should have for an HD gaming experience.

dustyjo

Re: Lem needs advice on an HDTV setup.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:47:58 PM »
Get some PS2 component cables and a switch so you can switch between PS2 and 360.

The Wii can't do HD. Composite or S-Video will be fine.

Also you should probably get a monitor that can do 1920x1080 (1080p). Neither of those can do that.

Maybe something like this?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:04:36 PM by dustyj★ »

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
Re: Lem needs advice on an HDTV setup.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:31:56 PM »
I think 40" will burn his eyes out considering how close he sits from the screen.
Also Toshiba :V

Maybe you could get something like this, it's kind of what I have here, except mine is older, 768p, and LCD. It might be too small for you, considering this one's also my monitor and I sit half a meter from it.
Or this, as you seem to trust Samsung as much as I do(two of my 3 screens are Samsung, as well as the living room TV, Samsung is p neat although LG, Sony and Panasonic are great picks too).
Actually, this one is the same one we have in the living room.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .