Author Topic: Helepolis meets Neetpia, an interesting experience in Holland.  (Read 4945 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?

A word before to explain people what the hell Neetpia is and why this happened. Neetpia is basically a group of Japanese fans who made the game Age of Ethanols. By some coincidence (or more like fate) they were going on a Europe tour for 10 days and their first visit would be The Netherlands. I already had one of them on MSN as friend because I was helping them out testing. (I didn't take much pictures so yea, don't expect a lot :V)

So, yesterday they arrived at Schiphol airport after I was waiting for 40minutes at the gate. Plane landed at 15:20 but they weren't coming out. I made a sign with Ibuki Suika on it saying 'Neetpia' under it.

apologies for the horrible pasting, I later on cut it again and remade it

First encounter was quite weird, they were pretty nervous and I was also kind of questioning myself how to make them feeling more comfortable. We planned on going to Amsterdam downtown so went to the ticketdesk and I helped them buying a 24 hour public transport ticket (cheapest and effective). Of course that card was only for transportation inside the the town. The railway is a separate company so we had to buy tickets as well. Unfortunate the vending machines allow only bank cards or CC but none of them had it. So I just bought them all three a one way ticket to Amsterdam. (I can travel for free because I got a student card). In Japan they use a card called 'Suica' which is similar system but more efficient and effective. Our country sucks currently orz.

Our first stop was the 'van Gogh' museum around 16:30 local time, where I gave them my presents: 'Stroopwafels in blik' It looks like this:

With delicious stroopwafels inside! Classical dutch souvenir, better than a windmill or clogs imo.

They gave me Touhou 12 - Undefined Fantastic Object in return. I was surprised as I was ok with anything they would offer. I couldn't receive a better present. I was very grateful.

URAMESHIYA! Original UFO game. Charisma (ry

We strolled around in the 'van Gogh' museum which was for me a cultural experience as well. Funny, foreign people really cannot pronounce the Dutch 'G' or 'ch' sound. They asked me how to exactly make the sound and it was quite amusing to see them trying it hard. Towards the end of the museum (~19:30) trip they became very hungry and tired (their time zone was +8) so they suffered from the time zone changes. We went to a Dutch classic 'Pannekoeken huis' (pancake house). There is no such thing as Dutch special restaurant because nobody wants to eat that stuff :V So I asked them what they want to eat. Among fast food, pizza, pancake and other steak shops they chose for the pancake.

At the pancake restaurant just couple of meters from 'Leidsche Square' (popular entertainment area in Amsterdam, probably the best place to be. On the left side bottom: Me then clockwise, Masayuki, Kosuke and Shinpei.)

During the dinner they showed me their latest work on the game of Age of Ethanols. And they added more teams (civilisations) to the game. The spriting work and everything was superb, I was amazed and really looked forward to seeing the game in the future. Of course I also had my laptop with me and showed them my Dance Contest danmakufu script. They laughed hard when I told them about my Ballerina boss.

After the dinner though something happened to Masayuki, he suddenly had an allergy attack. And we suspected it might be the food. That kind of made me worry a lot because it is never a good thing to have such attacks. After he recovered a bit they requested they want to go to their Hotel as they were tired as hell and Masayuki was having a hard time. So around 21:30 we were back at Amsterdam Central Station and picked up their luggage which we dropped inside a few lockers. After I guided them to a secure and official Taxi point I told the cab driver to bring them to their destination address. They were extremely grateful for me guiding them. Even they could speak English till a certain extend, it was impossible for them to do this fast an efficient. I did the best I could by giving them at least a good time for Friday. Originally I planned on staying another day with them (which was today) but I couldn't find a sleeping place (planned on staying at my cousin in Amsterdam, but he was not at home till midnight). And another Dutch friend I phoned way too late so he had no time to prepare me a spot. So we had to part our ways as I waved them goodbye.
I went to catch my train home. Getting home was a pain, because someone committed suicide at one stop ahead and the train delayed and took a whole detour. I left Amsterdam technically at 21:58 and came back home at 0:10 :V

All in all it was a very funny and strange meeting. I mean, how the hell do you actually meet people who just happen to see your movie on youtube and then contacts you all the way to IRC. It is strange and still puzzles me till this day. I guess Remilia Scarlet manipulated my fate. I hope Masayuki will be all right, I am going to try and phone them in 30minutes.
Shinpei already told me to visit Comiket 78, but that is going to be hard because my University life doesn't allow me that much spare time. Because if I go to Japan, I want to visit the country for two weeks.

-Helepolis

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:49:19 PM by Helepolis »

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
Re: Helepolis meets Neetpia, an interesting experience in Holland.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 10:48:02 AM »
"I Accidentally my post". Let's see how much of it I can salvage.

There is no such thing as Dutch special restaurant because nobody wants to eat that stuff :V
:V

I went to catch my train home. Getting home was a pain, because someone committed suicide at one stop ahead and the train delayed and took a whole detour. I left Amsterdam technically at 21:58 and came back home at 0:10 :V
orz

All in all it was a very funny and strange meeting. I mean, how the hell do you actually meet people who just happen to see your movie on youtube and then contacts you all the way to IRC. It is strange and still puzzles me till this day.
It is indeed pretty awkward. And I would probably be much worse off than you in a case like this, because I'm extremely introverted. From what I'm reading, despite the uneasy feeling, I would say that the meeting was handled quite nicely. As a general rule, the "home" person should try to take the initiative to "get the ball rolling".

...looking at the images, I've noticed something interesting. On that keyboard of yours, I see Page Up and Page Down next to the right Ctrl key  :V

Very interesting to read; I'm actually more surprised about Kogasa that they chose a Europe Trip rather than say, America (even more specifically, either California or New York).

Hm, I can't think of any specific questions to ask, though I do have a whole load of random side-comments that I'm holding back at this point.

Spoiler:
I should probably get around to documenting that trip to Western Australia that I had earlier in the year which had a HUEG number of pictures taken. Maybe. Or maybe I'll just wait for my next trip to wherever
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:49:33 AM by Baity »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 10:53:25 AM »
I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME KEYBOARD ! My... it's disturbing !
(Is that oysters ? I hate oysters, they're...errrk X_x)
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 11:22:59 AM »
It is indeed pretty awkward. And I would probably be much worse off than you in a case like this, because I'm extremely introverted. From what I'm reading, despite the uneasy feeling, I would say that the meeting was handled quite nicely. As a general rule, the "home" person should try to take the initiative to "get the ball rolling".
Ha ha ha, yea being introvert is a huge handicap. I am pretty smooth with having a talk with people I just met. But the language barrier was huge here. They stated though their English is bad and they find it very difficult to communicate. I hope their trip to Belgium and Germany will be good because they are somewhat on their own there. But they got an electronic dictionary with them so they should somehow be fine.

The only payment they made yesterday was the 24-hour travel card for public transport. I payed for the dinner as well, which was my pleasure to be honest. I enjoyed it all.

Very interesting to read; I'm actually more surprised about Kogasa that they chose a Europe Trip rather than say, America (even more specifically, either California or New York).
That surprised me a lot as well. But they are mainly on a cultural trip such as museums. They are quite persons with a strong sense for culture and art. Shinpei and Masayuki both told me they practise painting for three years. They were really impressed by the famous paintings from Gogh, such as 'The Potato eaters' and the 'Sunflowers'.

...looking at the images, I've noticed something interesting. On that keyboard of yours, I see Page Up and Page Down next to the right Ctrl key  :V

I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME KEYBOARD ! My... it's disturbing !
(Is that oysters ? I hate oysters, they're...errrk X_x)
Logitec USB keyboard flat layout which I bought for Touhou because my old one was PS2 ugly and dirty compaq one. (I can still type blind on this keyboard so the layout is perfect)

@Barca, no no XD we didn't eat any sea food in Holland, even though it is what you can expect. They ordered Gourmet Pancakes which are prepared with extra stuff. The stuff you see on my plate is called: 'Poffertjes'  which are minipancakes but prepared slightly different.

Also Shinpei asked me if the size of the pancake was standard because in Japan he said you get half the size normally. But they managed to eat it all up.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:26:10 AM by Helepolis »

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 11:27:49 AM »
But they are mainly on a cultural trip such as museums.
Ah. Now it makes sense.

Also Shinpei asked me if the size of the pancake was standard because in Japan he said you get half the size normally. But they managed to eat it all up.
Standards, eh? I don't know about you, but those certainly look like double the size of what I'm getting here in Australia  :V
Though, I normally do double up on them if I'm going to have them  :V :V
Also, that looks delicious.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »
Wow, interesting story Hele.
This is certainly something one doesn't get every day. That you managed to arrange all that is quite a success. :parsee: ^^

After reading your last post, I was wondering. You wouldn't happen to know where in Germany they are going to visit? Because, if they're going for culture there might actually be a chance of them dropping by in my city as well.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »
orz my apologies Sakana, I forgot to ask them what city they visit in Germany. All I know is they are visiting Brussel this evening.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »
Suica is pretty handy, although it used to be less convenient than it is now.

And OF COURSE they would order pancakes. Pancakes here are good, but pale in comparison to real, Western pancakes.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 12:00:03 PM »
Suica is pretty handy, although it used to be less convenient than it is now.

And OF COURSE they would order pancakes. Pancakes here are good, but pale in comparison to real, Western pancakes.
sfx_ZUN.wav !! Explains why they didn't want a Pizza because there were like 10 stores in a row at Leidsche square selling pizza / mexican etc etc.

Also N-Forza, is it true that in Japan people also hardly speak English? At least that is what they told me. Also I signed up for Japanese language course at my University starting in April. Not because of this event, but before I by coincidence found it while googleing. Seriously, one fate after another is happening :V

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »
Ah, no problem, I was just curious. You surely had much more important stuff on your mind at that time, having to show them around and all.  :)
Well, if they visit here, a lot of stuff is available in Japanese and there are Japanese speaking toursit guides, so they'll be okay without somebody to show them around.

Ah, an something else: You said if you ever go to Japan, you want to go for at least two weeks. Better make that three weeks. You wouldn't believe how fast two weeks pass even with a full schedule. Plus, the flight will be so expensive that it will make up half the cost of the trip at least, so staying longer is better for the cost-benefit-ratio.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 12:01:46 PM »
wow thats brilliant.  :D Reminds you just how international the touhou community is, even if it was obvious to begin with.

I've only met people from the internet around the uk, no one from abroad as yet. Its always great fun though and a memorable experience.

Also what moemoe said. I'd go for as long as you can spare personally, Its too costly to fly there for only a short time.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »
Also N-Forza, is it true that in Japan people also hardly speak English? At least that is what they told me.
Yeah, most Japanese people don't really know how to speak English. They know a bunch of words and phrases, but actually using it is pretty tough for them.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 12:20:17 PM »
Ah, an something else: You said if you ever go to Japan, you want to go for at least two weeks. Better make that three weeks. You wouldn't believe how fast two weeks pass even with a full schedule. Plus, the flight will be so expensive that it will make up half the cost of the trip at least, so staying longer is better for the cost-benefit-ratio.
Three weeks is going to be a major problem because my sister and brother in law + cousin want to go as well and getting that much vacation time is like impossible. It would become like a summer holiday then. And I prefer to be in Japan during spring.

wow thats brilliant.  :D Reminds you just how international the touhou community is, even if it was obvious to begin with.

I've only met people from the internet around the uk, no one from abroad as yet. Its always great fun though and a memorable experience.
This was indeed quite the experience for me. I am trying to grasp reality as I this morning when I woke up it felt all strange.

Yeah, most Japanese people don't really know how to speak English. They know a bunch of words and phrases, but actually using it is pretty tough for them.
Makes me wonder btw N-Forza, a bit personal perhaps but how did you experience the first time you planned on living in Japan. Did you learn the language before or during your stay? And would be learning Japanese (excluding the horrofying Kanji) easier than visa versa? (JP -> EN)?

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 12:33:37 PM »
On the topic of Japanese and English: Fom what I can tell, English can suffice to get around in Japan, but if you at least know some basics of speaking Japanese and can read Hiragana and Katakana (and of course maybe some Kanjo as well), you'll get a lot more out of a trip.

That you'll not be able to get more than two weeks is a pity. In that case, you really should stick to the major attractions and not try to visit too many places on one go.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 12:46:22 PM »
This is so awesome Hele, I wish I could be there to share the moment with you.

You have been an excellent host from my point of view and I think that dude should be alright.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 12:56:35 PM »
Europe Tour?
Does that mean they will go to Germany, too?

If so... where will they stay?!

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 12:57:30 PM »
If so... where will they stay?!
orz my apologies Sakana, I forgot to ask them what city they visit in Germany. All I know is they are visiting Brussel this evening.
You're a tad too late to ask that question, fellow german  :V

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »
You're a tad too late to ask that question, fellow german  :V

tl;dr :V

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
Stroopwafels

o/

Why does photographed food in good company always look tasty?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »
This is SO NICE, Helepolis! What a heart-warming story!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 04:32:06 PM »
/envy

o/

Why does photographed food in good company always look tasty?

This isn't really helping the fact that I'm starving at the moment due to fasting.

Drake

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »
Have already said that this is a really weird occurrence, but very very awesome.
Congrats on this experience.

Also, one thing Winnipeg is famous for:

giant apple pancake is god

I'm so hungry now ;_;

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kinzo the Astro Curious

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »
What are these strange things, they ain't pancakes by my countries definition lol.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 06:30:10 PM »
Pancakes have tons of variations. In Holland particular they are considering it something national along with poffertjes. Seriously have you never baked a different pancake? My dad makes them with all kinds of variations and stuff, but I prefer 'natural pancakes' (butter, powder sugar and syrup)

Kinzo the Astro Curious

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »
Pretty much just had this kind.

though always bigger than that.  Them ones a friggin tiny. I did make some american pancakes for a brief time as lunch.

but in fairness overall, I barely ever ever eat pancakes. Not even on pancake day, because I always forget.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
Ever since I learned to make waffles from scratch, I've been making them every Saturday and Sunday morning for the family. It's a fun and simple recipe, if you happen to own a waffle iron.

You will need:

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Four eggs (separate whites from yolks)
8 tablespoons of butter, melted.
A pinch of baking powder
A pinch of salt

Turn on the waffle iron to begin heating. Mix the flour, milk, egg yolks, baking powder and butter together in one bowl, until the batter is smooth. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until they form stiff peaks with no liquid at the bottom of the bowl.

Important part: FOLD the egg whites, a third at a time, into the batter. Folding should be done gently. Don't worry about lumps of egg whites in the batter. Welcome them. They make the fluffy.

Ladle out the batter onto the waffle iron. If you're using a standard soup ladle, it should only take half a scoop per waffle. Make the scoops as round as possible, placed towards the center of the waffle iron, closer to the hinges than the edges (because when you close the waffle iron, the batter will be pushed away from the hinges. Batter placement is more of an aesthetic point than anything else.)

Each waffle should take about 2 to 3 minutes to cook. Makes 10 waffles.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."