Author Topic: RPG - Waking Up From the Dream (Discussion Thread)  (Read 91139 times)

Jana

• mrgrgr
Re: RPG - Waking Up From the Dream (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #390 on: April 29, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »
Mm'kay, that sounds like I did it right... Sort of.

Since a normal human produces 20 cats, I gave Jan double to account for his exceptional stamina, but 40 is still a low number, even if he could split it well with his two partners... I think.

I don't really like the idea of bringing in perceived powerlevels, especially with so many characters that, due to the spell card system, haven't shown all that they're capable of. Still, it's fair to assume that Goddesses and Elder Youkai will need more Mana to use their power more effectively.

Gpop

« Reply #391 on: April 29, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »
Okay well I was planning on posting my part right now, but I got a soccer game with my school team coming up.

So I'll start when I get back. Thanks for helping me out Jan. I'm thinking of going to Tourist Helpers with you.

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #392 on: April 29, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »
Hmm, me no get funky cat math -\(o_O)/-

I have a question; say the girl receiving the mana is, in hindsight, a god (Shinki). Would the amount of mana needed to sustain her be higher than usual or would it be the same as say any of the others.

If is indeed higher, then Owlbear's mana reserves would have to be at least 40-50 at the least and that's probably not counting his physical endurance levels.

We're thinking too much into the system. It doesn't really matter how many cats you give yourself and how you distribute it to your team. It doesn't even matter whether or not you give yourself any cat levels. Here's how I resurrected my dead-horse logic and beat it to produce results -
1) Mitaka is weak, thus he should have cat levels only slightly higher than the average human.
2) Let's use a number large enough to divide easily. Let's go with something around 30 - 40. 
3) Let's divide everything by sync rates. Reimu's highest, so she gets the most. Then Ruukoto, then Suika, etc. etc. etc.
4) Oh, wait, that leaves Mitaka with -1.4 cats. Let's add few extra, shall we?
5) ?? ?? ?
6) PROFIT!

And whether or not the mana is enough to sufficiently power the partner in question is a different matter altogether.
Say Reimu usually expends about 360 cats of mana, Marisa 390, Alice 210, Suika 450.
However, Mitaka only supplies Reimu with 12 cats, thus she now operates at 3.3% capacity. This allows her, at best, the strength of a weak human child with no magical/spiritual powers whatsoever. In critical moments that may rise slightly, so she may be able to attain up to 16 or 17 in dire circumstances.

Also, the larger the requirement, the larger the vacuum, thus the more mana the partner would forcefully suck out. Take Yukari for example. She requires an immense amount of mana to support, and thus she may suck out more than is actually available, overriding what her sync ratio would normally allow. She may, unknowingly, end up sucking out what little Jeremy is saving for himself and end up killing him and, eventually, herself.

Something like that.

Kojiro, I find that pic quite amusing. Interesting how Reimu is set in a corner with ex-Keine.

By the way, Patchouli is actually equal to Remilia, if not stronger....at least on a good day. The only thing holding her back, canonically, is her asthma which keeps her from chanting properly. Canon Alice has also been said to hold herself back, never fighting with her full strength. Those two should be a tier higher, I think.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #393 on: April 29, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »
I don't think we need to care about the mathematical specifics of the 'cat' system very much. It's a story mechanic, not a math thesis.

And there are lots of ways to make the math 'work' without changing the scale: Keeping track of the production amount vs. requirements of the mana recipients (limiting how much they really need to get in addition), tweaking how the mana is split (have the sync ratio be how much of the total you can transfer, rather than a double-lossy flat # split times mega-low-percentage efficiency), or tweaking the meaning of the "catness" numbers (exponential rather than flat scale, like decibels or that earthquake measurement system).

Also lol powerlevels.

EDIT: New idea; have the displayed Catness Patchouli and co extract generally be the amount available in addition to the amount they need to survive. The amounts available and needed fluctuate based on personal conditions; produce more when 'stronger,' require more when sick, whether mentally or physically, minimum requirements based on magical nature of one's existence (i.e. youkai and gods need more than Gensokyo humans, which have a relatively small base deficit).

Excess mana is used both for bursts of physical exertion and supernatural powers; humans generally only overproduce enough for modest physical outbursts, and any sort of supernatural attempts require a fair bit more to activate with anything resembling safety.

As we've seen, overuse results in painful physical maladies but can be done if necessary. But it tends to not be a good idea.

Oh god, now I'M overthinking it!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:36:57 PM by E-mouse »
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #394 on: April 29, 2009, 08:28:33 PM »
Urgh Math >.<

I just handle the mana sharing like this:
- When nobody is acting tough (ie using combat) then Taihou is not strained. As soon as they use their powers it weakens Taihou slightly.
- The more people use at the same time, the weaker he becomes.
- Using strong attacks is only limited to 1-2 persons ( We have seen Mokou using the flame barrier and Sakuya a weak version of her Timestopping. Taihou was instant K.O.
- Using their original true strenght would obviously be suicide thus kill both Taihou and eventually them.

I don't know how to calculate the sync rate or what so ever. All dependant on their power usage.

Nemo★Ma

• Have Faith.
  • And keep it.
    • NMforce
« Reply #395 on: April 29, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »
OH,CATS LOL

So basically you have more Cats you have more MP?

Well, Originally I want to introduce a system, (The AAOC one) Basically this is focus on the ability site.

Every people who have zero or more Abilities will have a Control Index.(Default is 100%, however some people will be different, like Amarillo in the middle of the Gensokyo Arc have 50%, and in the last battle it become 75%)

The actions that can be performed also have a Control Value.

As long as one manages to keep the total Control Value BELOW their Control Index then it's fine. However...

If the Control Index was overflowed by 101%~150%, one may experience sweating.
If case 150%~250%, one may experience fainting.
If case 250%+, nosebleed and body damage.

Notice that all the percentage here is a percentage instead of the Index Value.
And for some people who have "Passive Abilities"->"Mana Spring" This will automatically counts into the Control Index.

So That's Amarillo's Current Index Values.

Amarillo Viridian
Control Index: 50%
---------------------------
General Ability - Mana Spring, ESP
Passive Effects:
Mana Field Projection - 25%
Effects:
ESP Heal - 75% per 15min
ESP Sedation - 80% per 15min
Access Dream Corridor - 10% on activation, then 1% per 2min
Fairy Merge - 20% on activation, then 1% per min
ESP TeleKinesis - Disabled

As of now, All the actions regarding Amarillo had strictly followed the above standard.
Day 2 - Amarillo Used ESP Sedation on a sniper,
Control Index - 25%+80% = 105%, Control Percentage = 105%/50% = 210%
Result: Fainting

Day 2 - Amarillo Access Dream Corridor to save Lily White.
Control Index - 25%+10%+7% = 42%, Control Percentage = 42%/50% = 84%<100%
Result: Nothing Happens, they jumped up as soon they come out from the dream. The sweating is caused by the actions in Morning.

IN THIS STORY SETTING:
We can assign every Gensokyo Character AND Their abilities with a Control Value, and Assign Everybody with a Control Index of 100% (That's the default, and it's easy to calculate)

And follow up with the above. Like...
We have seen Mokou using the flame barrier and Sakuya a weak version of her Timestopping. Taihou was instant K.O.

Then...

Taihou
Ability : None
Control Index : 100%
================
Gensokyo Residents:
Mokou: 30%
Sakuya: 20%
Keine: 35%
================
Effects:
Flame Barrier(Mokou): 40% on activation, 1% per min.
Illusion World [ZA WORLDO](Sakuya) : 100% (Make the number large since it IS large.)
Time Stopper (Sakuya) : 50% on activation, 5% per min.
Others...
Others...
-----------------------------

So we get this:
Control Index: 30%+20%+35%+40%+50% = 175%
This is larger than 150%.
Thus, right after the activation Taihou is KOed.

(Actually I just want to type that setting out... since it will not appear in this story, or it will?)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:57:03 PM by nemoma »

Break anything that stands between you and them!

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #396 on: April 29, 2009, 08:42:18 PM »
Don't dwell on the maths too much. Doesn't matter, really.

I've ironed out the last few issues still outstanding in those story posts I think. Is there anything else?

We've slipped into slice-of-life mode now. I would have tried thinking up funnier scenes, but I'm dead, utterly. I'll leave that to you. Amuse me.

Tomorrow we search for the keystone. A new encounter system will come up on day 3.

Nemo★Ma

• Have Faith.
  • And keep it.
    • NMforce
« Reply #397 on: April 29, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »
Don't dwell on the maths too much. Doesn't matter, really.

Actually, Even though I like computers.... and actually did something on it...

I HATE MATH.

So I guess I'll update the "CAT SYSTEM" to archive.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:56:12 PM by nemoma »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #398 on: April 29, 2009, 09:22:14 PM »
I'll wait with my part of the story untill we return to the shrine. Or when everyone is at sleep (in the story not RL ) =P

Nemo★Ma

• Have Faith.
  • And keep it.
    • NMforce
« Reply #399 on: April 29, 2009, 11:08:37 PM »
[Story Thread]

So you have destroyed my roof...... :'(

Well, Let's see..

Update: Should I do a reduced ESP Sedation on you? = =
Just put you to sleep and anything else would be much better.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:18:28 PM by nemoma »

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #400 on: April 29, 2009, 11:23:52 PM »
I'm going for the KO, but if that fails, I think that might work. Koakuma would be able to help out if you put him to sleep.

Caber Knight Etch-A-Sketch

• The return of something
« Reply #401 on: April 29, 2009, 11:41:37 PM »
OK that should be the second to last " Ahead of everyone else" post now.

Requesting formation of Team Pirate and Team Crios

Team Pirate: Ria, Kaguya

Team Crios: Marilyn, Cirno.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:28:31 AM by Etch-E-Sketch »

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity
« Reply #402 on: April 30, 2009, 02:36:47 AM »
LOL Tsubame Gaeshi is a tactic in Mahjong?! XD ahhaha that made me go WTF. i know about Mahjong but i don't knw ohow to play it. But Tsubame Gaeshi is the name of Sasaki Kojiro's famed technique http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojir%C5%8D so i found it surprising. ahha i learned something cool today XD awesome.
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #403 on: April 30, 2009, 02:39:27 AM »
I am very knowledgeable about urawaza/ikasama, and I'd think that was something Reimu would do.

Anyway, in case you didn't notice, Hirowaza's power inhibitor is his glasses. When he takes them off, it is easier for him to expend large amounts of mana at once. When his glasses are knocked off him forcefully, his power is also forcefully released, so this is a bad thing :V

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Nemo★Ma

• Have Faith.
  • And keep it.
    • NMforce
« Reply #404 on: April 30, 2009, 02:46:44 AM »
Oh, wow, when did things turn out this way?!

Somebody just explain.

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
« Reply #405 on: April 30, 2009, 03:38:21 AM »
Hey Taihou started it haha XD
Oh boy.

Well i was thinking of Tsukihime when Taihou was fighting with his knife so i had a knife duel with him haha. and i was thinking of that song i posted as well so i guess the son was to set the mood of the entire battle. I hope it was entertaining. i was making my post and others were posting at the same time so i had to make a change here and there. I was gonna include Alex for example but he wanted to stay out so i had to delete/edit an entire paragraph XD ahhah. Then Hirowaza and Aramillo  attacked so i had to incorporate that into too. i think we should say here when someone is posting or something so others can wait accordingly XD especially if we're all in the same place at the same time haha.
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #406 on: April 30, 2009, 04:02:57 AM »
It would be nice and easy if we had that IRC channel. Hopefully, we can get that set up before the RP moves to Gensokyo Online.

Gpop: Good connecting post. Now Jan has someone outside of his group to talk to on a regular basis.

And nice job handling the fight, Kojiro. I'll post a little something in a bit, I think.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #407 on: April 30, 2009, 04:29:12 AM »
If anyone sees me around here before Saturday, punch me in the face.

Crunch time.

God damnit, I'm going to be behind on this forever.

« Reply #408 on: April 30, 2009, 05:32:38 AM »
Alex didn't decide to stay out of it because of want but out of need he's still quite injured from using his skill that saved lily black from the gunshot wound she got from the yakuza.

he doesn't want to risk combat until he's decently healed from it

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
« Reply #409 on: April 30, 2009, 05:37:38 AM »
i know i read what happened but i was gonna include you but when you posted before me i read that you chose to not fight. so i had to edit it around.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #410 on: April 30, 2009, 09:04:16 AM »
Quote from: nemoma
Oh, wow, when did things turn out this way?!

Somebody just explain.

Quote from: Kojiro
Hey Taihou started it haha XD
Oh boy.

Well i was thinking of Tsukihime when Taihou was fighting with his knife so i had a knife duel with him haha. and i was thinking of that song i posted as well so i guess the son was to set the mood of the entire battle. I hope it was entertaining. i was making my post and others were posting at the same time so i had to make a change here and there. I was gonna include Alex for example but he wanted to stay out so i had to delete/edit an entire paragraph XD ahhah. Then Hirowaza and Aramillo  attacked so i had to incorporate that into too. i think we should say here when someone is posting or something so others can wait accordingly XD especially if we're all in the same place at the same time haha.

I originally wanted to do it when going to the shrine, but that would be again too clustered resulting in sideplots again. And since MTG wants to keep everything close to eachother I thought it would be a perfect place to execute it. Especially cause nobody else was posting and we were all "enjoying the time" in Tourist helpers. Like some were cuddling eachother, others were playing Mahjong or working on their laptops. It felt like a good location to hint all something is wrong with Taihou (hence why Mokou got into the fight with him).

Do not worry, it is not overpowering effects or something as in Gensokyo event. He just went berserk in his mind. I hate that lame stuff where one becomes more powerful. This just shows what kind of deadly techniques Sakuya teached him.

Also I didn't expect people to react to it this fast, very creative and original. My compliments. ^.^

PS Someone has to seriously lecture Taihou for his acting.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:12:54 AM by Helepolis »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #411 on: April 30, 2009, 09:35:13 AM »
For the more astute, there may be people wondering what the hell "Deathly Attraction" is in my posts... I will edit my profile in the thread to talk more about Hirowaza's secrets over time, well, it will be explained once Taihou is knocked back into his senses.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #412 on: April 30, 2009, 09:41:10 AM »
For the more astute, there may be people wondering what the hell "Deathly Attraction" is in my posts... I will edit my profile in the thread to talk more about Hirowaza's secrets over time, well, it will be explained once Taihou is knocked back into his senses.

Ah do you mind if I copy that idea of yours? Revealing in the profile thread over time the characters history/personality?

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #413 on: April 30, 2009, 09:44:23 AM »
Ah do you mind if I copy that idea of yours? Revealing in the profile thread over time the characters history/personality?

No need to ask, just do it.

EDIT: I've divulged more information about Hirowaza divided by topics in the profile thread. If you're interested, go read it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:01:18 AM by TranceHime »

« Reply #414 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:29 PM »
maybe it's the place to say it but...
is there a chance to join in this RP?

Gpop

« Reply #415 on: April 30, 2009, 12:30:12 PM »
No problem. Just join in at any time. Make sure it makes sense though.

Also, when I return from my soccer tourny I'll post my next part.

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #416 on: April 30, 2009, 12:36:50 PM »
maybe it's the place to say it but...
is there a chance to join in this RP?

Yeah, you're welcome to jump in anytime. Just make sure you write-up a plausible back-story.

I'd give you help starting up but I'm really busy atm...supposedly...The others should be able to give you pointers if you need them.

Like E-Nazrin, I should start asking people to punch me in the face if I show up here too often. I'm supposed to be busy!

EDIT: What, for the love of ZUN, happened...? One minute we were playing mahjong and watching TV.....???!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:41:01 PM by Mind-The-Gap »

« Reply #417 on: April 30, 2009, 12:55:24 PM »
TranceHime's status quotes make me think of DEATHCLAWS

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #418 on: April 30, 2009, 01:07:41 PM »

Claimed.

I'll do it myself if I ever catch up, but character-wise I'm probably going to be flipping out at such security breaches until we're in good enough fighting condition to handle a small-but-decently-equipped army.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #419 on: April 30, 2009, 01:10:18 PM »
Claimed.

Psychoanalysis to follow.

I'd post, but I'm in class, so... Good luck with your work, E-Mouse and Mind-The-Gap!