Author Topic: Best Friends Forever, or, Why Wriggle Wears Shorts and Not a Skirt - UPDATED!!!!  (Read 9096 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
http://tengukami.blogspot.com/2010/02/best-friends-forever-or-why-wriggle.html

UPDATE, 5 February: Due to the overwhelming response to what was admittedly a pretty overdone depiction of Alice, the story has been re-written. Alice's personality is now more canonIcal. Thanks again for the feedback!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:23:14 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
Re: Best Friends Forever, or, Why Wriggle Wears Shorts and Not a Skirt
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:39:32 PM »
Wow, that was a rather surprising take on this little mystery.  :D

I kind of wish I could come up with something like this.
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:26:29 PM »
*reaches the end with the bit about Alice*

*goes and gets an empty soda can so I can crush it in my hand*

Fer chrissakes, can you morons think of anything else when you write Alice into anything.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:12:48 PM »

Fer chrissakes, can you morons think of anything else when you write Alice into anything.

I like to make Alice a cold, heartless bitch who hates everyone and everything but is actualy a really nice person deep down, and she fixes broken toys for villager kids and stuff.
Wotters gonna' wot

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 12:52:18 AM »

Irks yer nerves don' it? Having to see someone incoperate the same concept into something even though there's somethin different out there. S'like they don't think outside the box isn't it? Yeah...me and you are not so different in our peeves, but mine are in a different ball-game, for a lack of a better word.

I do see Alice as a bit more aloof or cold, which is why I equally despise the lolfanon Alice.

Still, it was good read, even though my view on Wriggle is nothing but hatred. I don't think I've read much Touhou fanfiction lately now that I think of it...
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 03:47:15 AM »

This, only without calling everyone morons.

And, for manliness, the soda can isn't empty. Instead it's full of nails and pirahnas and explosives and exploding pirahnas filled with nails
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:59:10 AM by Esifex »

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 04:07:16 AM »
I want that tattoo myself now...
my head is having really odd ideas

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Tengukami

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 06:54:01 AM »
You know, when I went with the crazy doll lady depiction of Alice, I considered for a moment how Muffin would react. Didn't expect to be called a moron though.

Having said that, I guess I don't read enough Touhou fanfiction to know that Alice the Crazy Doll Lady is somewhat overdone. I'll have this is mind in the future.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:09:25 AM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 03:29:48 AM »
You should give ....

shit i forget the name

the retelling of Perfect Cherry Blossom a read.
The portrayal of Alice there is - while wildly farfetched and unfortunately will probably never catch on - undeniably epic. So is Shikieiki (in the ending)

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 04:23:10 AM »

Tengukami

Also, Eirin Yagokoro/Acidus did a dramatic reading of the re-write, which you can listen to here.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Ugh. Okay, this is going to be hard to hear, but really, Ammy, you shouldn't have edited your fic just because of reader response. I really hate the idea of changing what you write just because so and so doesn't like how character X was portrayed. People can hate your fic all they want, but if that's what you wanted to write, then the readers are just going to have to deal with it. At least that's how I see it.

In your favor, though, the new version is still quite good. But I really don't like the idea of compromising artistic integrity just because the readers didn't like it.

Tengukami

But I agreed with the criticism. Part of growing as a writer is listening to negative criticism, and deciding whether or not it's valid. In this case, apart from the name-calling, I thought the criticism was valid. So I changed the piece accordingly.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Fair enough, I just wanted to know your motives for it. Changing a story because of outside pressure leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but not on the grounds of legit criticism.

Tengukami

Yeah, that's pretty much it. My general approach to fan fiction is that I like the challenge of creating a new story about the Gensokyans within the confines of their personalities and back stories. It's like expanding their world a little bit more.

I've seen great material that completely turns Gensokyo on its head, such as Serp's piece, and that's also a perfectly valid approach. I just tend to enjoy the challenge of working within the framework, trying to create something new, fresh and entertaining inside that boundary.