Author Topic: Fun facts/other stuff about youkais of gensokyo.  (Read 10741 times)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Fun facts/other stuff about youkais of gensokyo.
« on: December 22, 2009, 03:24:38 PM »
I always wondered if Murasa was this:

http://www.obakemono.com/obake/umibozu/

instead of some lowly water spirit of a drowned person.

and whether or not if Momiji, with her guardian status is more of a:

http://www.obakemono.com/obake/inugami/

just me and some random thoughts.
(also breathing some life into the forums)
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Re: Fun facts/other stuff about youkais of gensokyo.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 05:36:57 PM »
I always wondered if Tsukumogami are still considered non-living.

This could be useful for Ijiyatsu.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:44:23 PM by Cadmas »

Apotheosis

• Pop-tarts please!!!
  • MOM WHERE'S MY POP-TARTS?????
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 06:49:40 PM »
FACT: faeries, when prepared properly, are good eatin'
The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr - Mohammed

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:49:50 PM »
FACT: faeries, when prepared properly, are good eatin'
We knew this for quite some time, as this explains
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUBbigtfCWs

As for Momiji there is some thought that she might be a Tiangou
http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Tiangou
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 03:18:48 AM »
She is a wolf tengu, but as far as I read before, there is no such thing as a wolf tengu.

or maybe I have never heard of one.

Rather, relevance in the Inugami (being a dog god) is that she could be a guardian for the Tengu mountain. The Inugami in other relevant stories can also be portrayed as guardians, rather than vengeful beheaded dog spirits. (you can see this in shrines, an inari/dog spirit normally guards a shrine, it can be sometimes a lion (in China) which points to NWES directions.
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 04:47:25 AM »
About Tengu you realize
1.They don't really exist at least not to the modern world
2.If they do exist records of them are very spotty and details vary
3.With Tiangou you are talking about a myth that has crossed countries, of course details would change
4.Points 2 and 3 is made even more important by the detail that Tengu are noted to have illusion powers and like mess with people.
5.Nothing in Momiji's portrayal either in cannon or fannon would label her as a creature created out of vengeance or malice. She guards the mountain and plays Shogi with Nitori. Nothing creepy or vengeful.

About Murasa
Probably a Funa-Yurei as your article would state. Note that she carries a ladle with her.

Toasty

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 05:13:36 AM »
Chen can leap over dead bodies and bring them back to life.

:V

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 07:47:30 AM »

It's part of the nekomata skill set, yes. Chen is not at all a moeblob if you take this into context; she could basically reanimate corpses and quite possibly make them into an army of zombies if she liked.

Also, thanks to an old, old reply on Satori Eye Z, I now believe that Third Eyes can be turned into defrosted eye gelato. I even have a recipe for it.

... don't ask.

Toasty

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 09:56:26 PM »
Satori and koishi can die if placed in a room with an empty headed person, as part of being satoris, or they will become scared and try to escape. Which explains why okuu is even further udnerground and away from her masters. (ntoe: They probably shave twice a day)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satori_(folklore)

Ran can shapeshfit into a sexy woman (and cannot hide her tails very well), a loli, and an old man. And she can shoot lightning out her mouth. Also, she can enter through your boobs and posess you. Lovely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 10:41:54 PM »
Ran can shapeshfit into a sexy woman (and cannot hide her tails very well), a loli, and an old man. And she can shoot lightning out her mouth. Also, she can enter through your boobs and posess you. Lovely.

I thought they could take on almost any form they wanted after getting enough tails.... though wikipedia does state they could imitate and copy the appearance of others.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »
Ran can shapeshfit into a sexy woman (and cannot hide her tails very well), a loli, and an old man. And she can shoot lightning out her mouth.

...My stock in Ran just went up.  Because seriously, that's just awesome~
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Caber Knight Etch-A-Sketch

• The return of something
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 10:48:48 PM »
Kappas want to suck your soul out through your anus. So stay away from Nitori if she ahs a vaccum cleaner, no matter how cute her smile is

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 10:53:12 PM »
Momizi is probably more like a hainu( http://www.obakemono.com/obake/hainu/ ) Exept without the Rampageing/Killing of livestock and villagers
Wotters gonna' wot

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 11:59:56 PM »
Inu janai yo~ T-T

More like a Tiangou, the original Chinese form of Tengu.

Flandrenonymous

• Onee~, what's an Extra Boss?
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 12:43:39 AM »
That's not really a shimenawa that Kanako wears.

It's a giant cruller.  Observe:

Kuma

• 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 02:28:56 AM »
I heard from someone around here that there was a species of Bird demon that had power over darkness. That might be What Rumia is.

Letty is like a female Jack frost(Jill frost?)

Sanae is a good girl

Wotters gonna' wot

Gpop

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 04:16:02 AM »
Satori and koishi can die if placed in a room with an empty headed person, as part of being satoris, or they will become scared and try to escape. Which explains why okuu is even further udnerground and away from her masters. (ntoe: They probably shave twice a day)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satori_(folklore)

I wonder if Koishi could ever die...

Kuma

• 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 05:27:16 AM »
I wonder if Koishi could ever die...

Well, she shut off her mind reading power, so I guess she's immune to death by stupid.
She might die if she were to be exposed to a person without a subconciouss, if such a thing exsists...
Wotters gonna' wot

Toasty

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 06:00:42 AM »
Only a captain-obvious-blunt-moronic-bratty-IQ-of-negative-9 person with half a mind would have the entire iceberg above water.

...cirno.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 07:13:07 AM »
I've heard somewhere that Rabbit youkai could do the same thing (transform), being they are similar to Tanuki and Kitsune in that sense.

...Although I think that might have been fanon spouting bullshit again.

Kappas want to suck your soul out through your anus. So stay away from Nitori if she ahs a vaccum cleaner, no matter how cute her smile is
Female Kappa are also supposed to have large breasts :V

(Yes, I remember whatchu said A-F...it's really the only thing I could remember >_> )
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 10:43:05 AM »
About Tengu you realize
1.They don't really exist at least not to the modern world
2.If they do exist records of them are very spotty and details vary
3.With Tiangou you are talking about a myth that has crossed countries, of course details would change
4.Points 2 and 3 is made even more important by the detail that Tengu are noted to have illusion powers and like mess with people.
5.Nothing in Momiji's portrayal either in cannon or fannon would label her as a creature created out of vengeance or malice. She guards the mountain and plays Shogi with Nitori. Nothing creepy or vengeful.

About Murasa
Probably a Funa-Yurei as your article would state. Note that she carries a ladle with her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaksha

Momiji is a Yasha, ie. Inuyasha? (Guardian)

None of the youkai in Gensokyo are creepy or vengeful, for example the Tsuchigumo (Yamame) is a violent creature known to attack families and turn them in woven balls of silk for food.
You don't see Yamame do that.

As for Murasa, for her capsize power, I reckon she shouldn't be a simple yurei of the drowned person type.

I even propose her to be the Water Jizou worshiped in some parts of sea faring Japan (off the easternmost shores), Water Jizou in a specific citation I saw in a chinese book (sorry I don't remember the title) is a patron god, like the Neptune of Japan. Which must be worshiped before faring the sea, or the seas will become violent and the fishermen are likely not to survive.

In another related source of youkai identity, I saw a 'Dead sea fa shi' meaning Monk of the dead sea (not christian related), a youkai which is said to be the accumulated of dead water spirits, and will make pilgrimage to the shore once a year while capsizing all ships along the way, it has the amazing power to cause instant death to anyone who lays their eyes on its vile image, said to be so ugly that even animals when they see the face, will die of shock. This is related to Murasa's 'death through drowning', could be her main inspiration.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:54:30 AM by Miku Hatsune - F »

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 10:48:46 AM »

Nekomata maybe, she possesses the dead body right?

Orin however, is a Fire Car (read Kasha I think), a Kasha traditionally is said to resemble a giant bus.

Now that is interesting because Orin has a wheelbarrow. a vehicle by comparison!
Orin is said to be the consumer of dead souls and a pretty pesky creature. In Tokugawa's era, it was said that a tradition for a dead one in the family for at least 1 monk and then 1 family member to light 6 candles throughout the night and not sleep, in order to drive away the Kasha from taking hold of the soul attempting to make their journey to the afterlife.

Kasha is said to possess the body or eat the corpse, varied descriptions include the Kasha being a cat with two wheels attached under the feet, and roll about in flaming fury. (imagine Air Gear, with wheelbarrow wheels) or a chariot of sorts that rides on fiery wheels (a example: watch for the old man in the trio that follows Enma Ai in Jigoku Shoujo)

Also, in certain parts of Japan, I heard...

Tiangou, or Tengu, are forms of Mountain Gods, this may indicate why Aya is so powerful (POFV) instead of some ZUNhax. Mountain Gods are normally giants that lay dormant in the form of towering human featured rocks, or are moving mountains (think the rock giant in Warcraft), and they may or may not employ Tengu to guard their sacred mountain.

Does this indicate Aya used to serve a greater Mountain God (before Kanako) or did Kanako slay the former Youkai Mountain God?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:51:38 AM by Miku Hatsune - F »

Kuma

• 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 02:03:10 PM »
I remember a while ago we were talking about Kappa, someone mentioned that female Kappa are vastly superior to male Kappa in terms of Powers and size, and also they fly by farting
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:44:52 PM by FagKuma »
Wotters gonna' wot

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »
As to your question about who used to run Youkai mountain it is known that the Oni known as the four devas used to run it before they left. The two onis that have appeared in Touhou so far (Suika and Yuugi) are a part of that group.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 05:42:46 PM »
I remember a while ago we were talking about Kappa, someone mentioned that female Kappa are vastly superior to male Kappa in terms of Powers and size, and also they fly by farting

it was me. this is based on what I read.

As to your question about who used to run Youkai mountain it is known that the Oni known as the four devas used to run it before they left. The two onis that have appeared in Touhou so far (Suika and Yuugi) are a part of that group.

and hence, Kanako murdered the other 2 Onis.

Kuma

• 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »
KANAKO IS A MURDERER! THIS IS TERRIBLE! I allways knew she was bad news!!
Wotters gonna' wot

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 12:11:11 PM »
This is quite cute:

Momiji in one Japanese letter can be spelled as Kaede.

but Kaede cannot be spelled as Momiji because of how the Touhou character's name is written in Kanji.