Author Topic: Yume Nikki Mafia - Waking 2  (Read 71941 times)

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
Re: Yume Nikki Mafia - Dream 1 (The Guillotine Room)
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »
Not when the entire Town has told them not to. And if we have it at 6/6 then we'd need 2 of your clueless Townies to mess things up.

Does a 6/6 seem at all likely to you right now?

Quote from: Roukanken
This implies that lynching is necessary. If we have a choice between lynching one player who's probably scum, and lynching two players one of whom is probably scum and the other could be anything, we'll be worse off choosing the latter in the event that Player 2 is Town. In the same way we only want to go for the triple lynch with 3 strong suspects, we want 2 for the double lynch.

What!?  I can't believe you're saying this.  It goes against everything I know about lynching philosophy in mafia.  Sure, lynching a Town is wose than lynching no one at all, but why would you assume anyone as 100% town?  Why would you assume that in saying "I don't think your case on Pesco is good," I'm thinking that Pesco is 100% town?  You start the game with the same degree of suspicion for everyone.

Please, can everyone reading this line comment on this argument, so I know I haven't been dropped into a bizarro world where it's a good idea for the town to sacrifice lynches if they don't have a solid case?

Reading through the thread, you don't even agree with this!  Here, you say that you're pro-doublelynch, and anti-singlelynch, with no mention at all of how this should be modified depending on how many good cases we have.  This is what a contradiction looks like, Roukanken.

This logic that it's okay to randomly accuse people with no suspicion when there are better targets around is horrifically flawed. It's like taking your random vote at the beginning of the game and sticking with it, giving reasoning as you go along.

At the time, BaitySM was starting to look pretty bad.  At the time, everyone seemed to agree that a multi-lynch was a good idea.  If it had been a typical one-lynch day, I probably would've jumped on the BaitySM case like everyone else, but I wanted to stir things up and find a good candidate for a second lynch.

You do realise that if PvR IS a Town/Town fight, sitting and letting us pick at each other would be an excellent plan for scum, right? Whoever wins it's a free mislynch.

Not really, considering that Pesco's argument was pretty much entirely a defensive one.  His attacks were all on your character and your technique, not on your towniness.  If Pesco wins, then he doesn't get lynched, and someone more suspicious does instead.  Again, you yourself said here that it's not smart to defend other players' statements.

No. No, no, NO.
I can't believe you're actually saying this.
There is NO reason to make a case that you know is poor. Pick out people's mistake because you honestly believe they're scummy, don't do it if you know there's a flaw in your logic.

We seem to have a fundamental disagreement here on early scumhunting strategy.  That said, when I initially made that post, I thought it to be a weak argument, not a flawed one.  I knew it was contrived, but I thought it could theoretically be true.  With more time to think about it, and with some other players' comments on it, I eventually came around to the opinion that it was indeed flawed, but left it there since Affinity hadn't properly responded to it yet, and I wanted to see what he'd do.

I've given a good list of reasons for why to suspect Pesco, but as is you're still proving worse in my eyes.

That doesn't make sense.  If you're no less suspicious of Pesco, but just more suspicious of me, then you ought to be pushing for a triple lynch.  Instead, you're just paying lip service to Pesco right now as an afterthought.

HERE'S MY POINT - IF YOU THOUGHT MY CASE AGAINST PESCO WAS POOR, WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU VOTE FOR ME LIKE ANY NORMAL TOWNIE WOULD?

I'm pretty sure that Pesco thought your case against him was poor.  Notice that he didn't vote against you.  Your point here makes no sense at all.  I figured it was just a bad case early in the first day, which, as I've made known, I consider better than nothing.  For all I knew, Pesco might've cracked with a bit more pressure.

It just feels condescending is all. Like you're goading him into agreeing with you.

In my defense, it's a really obvious point, and Zakeri has a reputation as a skilled player.  He shouldn't have needed me to point it out.

Alright then:Translation: "Neither of you seem that scummy, but I'll let you argue anyway."
Translation: "Both of you are relatively suspicious."

How do you get from "not any more [suspicious] than anyone else at the moment" to "relatively suspicious"?  If anything, that should be read as "relatively not suspicious."

Translation: "Pesco is being a dick, but since that's very rarely used by Townies I'll ignore it as a scumtell entirely."

Irrelevant, and as far as I can tell, it's just his personality.

And we're back to 'Neither of them are scummy' again.

Quote was "neither of them seem really scummy to me."  That should be read as no more or less scummy than average.

"Apparently I now want to lynch a player who I just said isn't scummy, because obviously we need to doublelynch, right?"

Considering that you agree with that statement, as previously linked, yeah.

"And now I don't want to lynch him because I want to get rid of an inactive instead."

Yes, that's right.  My opinion has always been "I don't mind lynching Pesco if no one better comes up."  Someone better came up.  Now I don't want to lynch him.

Happy now?

Still waiting on that grand list of contradictions and waffling opinions.  All I see here is a few unrelated quotes you take issue with.

Quote from: Carthrat
KY's obvious due to vote, on calling people as townie. Baity as well for his earlier weirdness play. And the deal here is more just letting some random lynch slide by when you have other ideas; in your later posts after the fact you're looking at a bait/KY/alert triumvirate? (not too impressed by a shot on alert, really, but eh.)

I consider Baity and KY scummy on their own merits, more likely than the average player to be scum, but I consider Alert a nuisance for not existing.  Also getting irritated at Edible for the same reason.  I've been pushing for Baity and KY to both be lynched for awhile now.  Since a triple lynch is a possibility, and I've not had any other leads, I've been fine with trying to get someone else in there too - "letting some random lynch slide by" is fine when it doesn't interfere with getting rid of the really scummy people.  Now that we clearly have inactivity hijinks to deal with, I'm not happy with lynching some random person along with Baity and KY.  I think we should aim for getting rid of one of these inactive liabilities too, if we can manage it.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Serp

« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2009, 03:37:12 PM »
Also note:

Kanguya appears to be attempting to survive the day by disappearing and letting Roukanken shift attention onto me.  His last post was 19 hours ago.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2009, 04:16:02 PM »
Does a 6/6 seem at all likely to you right now?
You've changed the question from 'Will 6/6 work?' to 'Can we pull off 6/6?'.
Admittedly the odds of it working are low, but that doesn't give us an excuse not to try for it.

What!?  I can't believe you're saying this.  It goes against everything I know about lynching philosophy in mafia.  Sure, lynching a Town is wose than lynching no one at all, but why would you assume anyone as 100% town?  Why would you assume that in saying "I don't think your case on Pesco is good," I'm thinking that Pesco is 100% town?  You start the game with the same degree of suspicion for everyone.
So to take your apparent theory the whole way, we should lynch everyone since everyone is as suspicious as Pesco is!
You said you'd lynch Pesco if there were no other options - i.e. no-one else had done anything suspicious besides Baity. Lynching for the sake of lynching doesn't do Town any favours - if you can't give a reason as to why player X is scum, either look harder or press harder. You were doing neither of these with Pesco, but you were still fine with lynching him.

Reading through the thread, you don't even agree with this!  Here, you say that you're pro-doublelynch, and anti-singlelynch, with no mention at all of how this should be modified depending on how many good cases we have.  This is what a contradiction looks like, Roukanken.
YOU'RE the one who seems to think that this second lynch is simply something to fall back on if there are no other options. And was it really so bad to assume that Town would be able to come up with two reasonable suspects in 72 hours?

At the time, BaitySM was starting to look pretty bad.  At the time, everyone seemed to agree that a multi-lynch was a good idea.  If it had been a typical one-lynch day, I probably would've jumped on the BaitySM case like everyone else, but I wanted to stir things up and find a good candidate for a second lynch.
Waffle. The question was 'why did you find my argument on Pesco okay if it seemed flawed to you?' and you haven't even come close to answering it.

Not really, considering that Pesco's argument was pretty much entirely a defensive one.  His attacks were all on your character and your technique, not on your towniness.  If Pesco wins, then he doesn't get lynched, and someone more suspicious does instead.  Again, you yourself said here that it's not smart to defend other players' statements.
Perhaps not but if I win, Pesco gets lynched, flips Town, and then everyone turns on me. Possibly two mislynches, and scum has nothing to lose.
Besides that, a Town/Town PvR would make an excellent distraction for scum lurkers.

That doesn't make sense.  If you're no less suspicious of Pesco, but just more suspicious of me, then you ought to be pushing for a triple lynch.  Instead, you're just paying lip service to Pesco right now as an afterthought.
I still want a double-lynch - triple is too risky for all the reasons I mentioned earlier.

I'm pretty sure that Pesco thought your case against him was poor.  Notice that he didn't vote against you.  Your point here makes no sense at all.  I figured it was just a bad case early in the first day, which, as I've made known, I consider better than nothing.  For all I knew, Pesco might've cracked with a bit more pressure.
Scum!Pesco's main method of defeating a case against him is to ignore it entirely, as you saw him doing to Umu in Worker's Union. Did he vote for Umu in Worker's Union, or did he choose to focus his time on the easy target Wrathie? Gee, I wonder...

How do you get from "not any more [suspicious] than anyone else at the moment" to "relatively suspicious"?  If anything, that should be read as "relatively not suspicious."
You outright said in the second post that the two of us were worth suspicion. You can't say that every player at once is 'worth suspicion', that's just outright paranoia.

Irrelevant, and as far as I can tell, it's just his personality.
So ad hominem attacks are okay?

Quote was "neither of them seem really scummy to me."  That should be read as no more or less scummy than average.
What do you mean, average? People are either acting scummy or they're not - it's Boolean logic. Either you think a player should be lynched or you don't.

Considering that you agree with that statement, as previously linked, yeah.
As I've already said, doublelynch IF WE HAVE TWO GOOD SUSPECTS.

Yes, that's right.  My opinion has always been "I don't mind lynching Pesco if no one better comes up."  Someone better came up.  Now I don't want to lynch him.
But if you think he's a relatively decent suspect, why didn't you bother pressing his case? Leaving someone else to do all the arguing doesn't help Town at all.

Still waiting on that grand list of contradictions and waffling opinions.  All I see here is a few unrelated quotes you take issue with.
I've clarified my point. Feel like explaining your concept of 'average scumminess'?

I consider Baity and KY scummy on their own merits, more likely than the average player to be scum,
Okay, I'm going to finish off by pointing this out again.
After my argument came out, you considered Pesco to be of 'average' suspicion. Since apparently that's the level of suspicion you put everyone at, that means my argument did nothing. Why, then, are you okay with me saying nothing of use and producing a weak case? Weak cases are worse than saying nothing because they lead Town down the wrong track. And you're FINE with that?

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »
EBWOP: And another thing - given the points I've raised against you, am I'm still only of 'average scumminess' in your eyes? Or are you still fine with what you consider weak reasoning?

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »
I am retardedly busy right now and there's too much material since my last post that I probably won't have time for a post this morning.

I should be able to check in at around 3 PM PST (5 hours before deadline) and then the last hour or 2 before deadline.

Serp

« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2009, 05:41:50 PM »
You've changed the question from 'Will 6/6 work?' to 'Can we pull off 6/6?'.
Admittedly the odds of it working are low, but that doesn't give us an excuse not to try for it.

We might as well try for it, but we shouldn't assume we can achieve it.  You're saying "In the best case scenario, the odds of screwing it up are minimal."  That's true, but not very useful.

So to take your apparent theory the whole way, we should lynch everyone since everyone is as suspicious as Pesco is!
You said you'd lynch Pesco if there were no other options - i.e. no-one else had done anything suspicious besides Baity. Lynching for the sake of lynching doesn't do Town any favours - if you can't give a reason as to why player X is scum, either look harder or press harder. You were doing neither of these with Pesco, but you were still fine with lynching him.

Considering the early speculation about how we could use this room to kill off half the players at random, I'm not alone in this sort of thinking.  If no one stands out as unusually scummy, it's in the town's best interest to execute at random.  The only way to kill scum is to lynch them - spending all day whining about how we don't have enough evidence to convict just gives the mafia a free pass to the next night.  It's virtually always better to do one lynch than no lynch, and better to do two lynches than one lynch.

YOU'RE the one who seems to think that this second lynch is simply something to fall back on if there are no other options. And was it really so bad to assume that Town would be able to come up with two reasonable suspects in 72 hours?
As I've already said, doublelynch IF WE HAVE TWO GOOD SUSPECTS.

Unspoken assumptions make for misunderstandings.  Anyway, see my point above about how more lynching is better.

Waffle. The question was 'why did you find my argument on Pesco okay if it seemed flawed to you?' and you haven't even come close to answering it.

You were putting pressure on him, as I had been intending to do with Affinity.  If he broke, it would've given us a good second lynch target.  As I saw it, you were doing the same thing I was doing.

Perhaps not but if I win, Pesco gets lynched, flips Town, and then everyone turns on me. Possibly two mislynches, and scum has nothing to lose.

Now you're the one being pessimistic.  In any case, part of my justification for letting you continue on Pesco was that it was still early in the day.  If you had continued to push Pesco into the last part of the day, when we needed to settle on our lynches, I would've called on you to stop it then.  I did call on you to stop it then, when I settled on Mr Alert as my preferred terciary lynch.  I also figured you'd drop the case anyway when you were satisfied and move onto something else if it continued to fail to produce.

Besides that, a Town/Town PvR would make an excellent distraction for scum lurkers.

A Town/Town SvR would be even better, apparently.  See my EBWOP about how Kanguya seems content to ride this out. 

I still want a double-lynch - triple is too risky for all the reasons I mentioned earlier.

I think it might've been a good idea to try at one point, but we're getting close to the deadline, so I don't see us getting to a stable 3 lynch solution either.  I'm still wanting BaitySM and KY lynched right now.

Scum!Pesco's main method of defeating a case against him is to ignore it entirely, as you saw him doing to Umu in Worker's Union. Did he vote for Umu in Worker's Union, or did he choose to focus his time on the easy target Wrathie? Gee, I wonder...

You're missing the point.  You said that I ought to vote against you if I found your case bad.  As I said earlier, you seemed sincere to me.  Heck, Pesco himself said something earlier about how angry Rou strikes him as townie.

Anyway, I also note that you're suddenly basing a lot of your arguments from the assumption that Pesco is innocent, despite the fact that his responses to your accusations are exactly what you consider to be his scum M.O.  Care to explain this?

You outright said in the second post that the two of us were worth suspicion. You can't say that every player at once is 'worth suspicion', that's just outright paranoia.

Apropos of nothing, it'd be stupid and paranoid to say it.  You explicitly asked me whether I thought you and Pesco were worthy of suspicion, though, and to answer "No, neither of you are worthy of suspicion" would be stupid and scummy.  Everyone is worth suspicion, from the start.  Only through making good cases and catching scum do people become somewhat exempt from it.

So ad hominem attacks are okay?

They aren't good play, but they aren't exactly a scumtell.

I've clarified my point. Feel like explaining your concept of 'average scumminess'?
What do you mean, average? People are either acting scummy or they're not - it's Boolean logic. Either you think a player should be lynched or you don't.

Uh, what?  I thought it was standard procedure to have a little chart in your head of who's acting more scummy than who.  The scummiest person is the one you press to have lynched.  If two people are equally scummy, you lynch one based on gut feelings or randomly or whatever.  Average scumminess is what everyone is considered to have from the beginning.

But if you think he's a relatively decent suspect, why didn't you bother pressing his case? Leaving someone else to do all the arguing doesn't help Town at all.

As I explicitly said, I considered him a decent lynch if no one better came up.  This seems to tie back into your objection to my idea of a broad scumminess scale instead of a boolean one.  I would've considered him a bad lynch if he had managed to appear un-scummy through townie behavior.  As things stood, I considered him no better than any other randomly chosen person.  If you had asked me what I thought about a UK lynch or an Alice lynch, I would've told you the same thing.  Fine as a terciary if no one better shows up.

Okay, I'm going to finish off by pointing this out again.
After my argument came out, you considered Pesco to be of 'average' suspicion. Since apparently that's the level of suspicion you put everyone at, that means my argument did nothing. Why, then, are you okay with me saying nothing of use and producing a weak case? Weak cases are worse than saying nothing because they lead Town down the wrong track. And you're FINE with that?

This seems to be a fundamental disagreement over what constitutes good scumhunting.  Your argument did indeed do nothing at all to make me think of Pesco as scummier.  It was a weak argument.  But it was an early game accusation, and at the time, it was the most detailed case out there.  It didn't convince me of Pesco's scumminess, but I wouldn't call it useless by any means.  I think it was better than saying nothing, 'cause it forced Pesco to put some words out there.  There's nothing wrong with leading the town a few steps down a wrong path when we're free to pursue so many paths simultaneously, and when we have no indication of what the right path is.

EBWOP: And another thing - given the points I've raised against you, am I'm still only of 'average scumminess' in your eyes? Or are you still fine with what you consider weak reasoning?

Looking at it all together, your points against me seem to stem from disagreements in what constitutes good scumhunting.  Your points about my self-contradictions and waffling opinions are utter crap, but you seem to have dropped that, so I'm inclined to attribute them to you trying to interpret my words in the context of your different scumhunting philosophy.

I said you were tunneling earlier, but I think that was an overreaction on my part.  The reason you've mostly been talking to me is that I'm responding to your posts much more frequently than anyone else.  My biggest point of suspicion against you is that you seem to be giving KY a free pass.  I guess my opinion on your scumminess is contingent on KY's flip.  If he were town, I'd consider you unusually unscummy.  If he's scum, then you're on top of my list of suspects for trying to push me or Pesco to be lynched instead of him.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2009, 07:53:08 PM »
Considering the early speculation about how we could use this room to kill off half the players at random, I'm not alone in this sort of thinking.  If no one stands out as unusually scummy, it's in the town's best interest to execute at random.
But that isn't the case, and I don't see why anyone should assume as such. Instead of saying 'we should lynch a random player if we can't find targets', why not spend your time FINDING TARGETS?

It's virtually always better to do one lynch than no lynch, and better to do two lynches than one lynch.
This is assuming that both lynches go as planned, which seems to be something you yourself aren't sure of.
Secondly, lynched Townies are like Aeris - once they're dead, they can't come back no matter how hard you try. An extra night phase may give a cop time to investigate or they may be cleared on another flip. Lynched Townies are always BAD, so it's good to lynch only a suspect you're confident in rather then one as a last resort IMO.

You were putting pressure on him, as I had been intending to do with Affinity.  If he broke, it would've given us a good second lynch target.  As I saw it, you were doing the same thing I was doing.
Key difference - I commented on Affinity. You didn't comment on Pesco.

Now you're the one being pessimistic.  In any case, part of my justification for letting you continue on Pesco was that it was still early in the day.  If you had continued to push Pesco into the last part of the day, when we needed to settle on our lynches, I would've called on you to stop it then.  I did call on you to stop it then, when I settled on Mr Alert as my preferred terciary lynch.  I also figured you'd drop the case anyway when you were satisfied and move onto something else if it continued to fail to produce.
So you'd rather I spent time with someone who didn't seem particularly scummy rather than with someone you had genuine suspicions of?

A Town/Town SvR would be even better, apparently.  See my EBWOP about how Kanguya seems content to ride this out.
I will admit this point to you - KY typically isn't one to lurk, usually he tries to produce and fails. Add to this the fact he was on 8 hours ago, and...

You're missing the point.  You said that I ought to vote against you if I found your case bad.  As I said earlier, you seemed sincere to me.  Heck, Pesco himself said something earlier about how angry Rou strikes him as townie.
Scum can be sincere. Town can make honest mistakes, so scum can 'sincerely' point them out and watch the mislynch run itself.

Anyway, I also note that you're suddenly basing a lot of your arguments from the assumption that Pesco is innocent, despite the fact that his responses to your accusations are exactly what you consider to be his scum M.O.  Care to explain this?
I'm looking at it from your viewpoint, where the two of us are both 'not especially scummy' and trying to analyse what you'd do in said situation. I still really don't like how Pesco is playing.

Apropos of nothing, it'd be stupid and paranoid to say it.  You explicitly asked me whether I thought you and Pesco were worthy of suspicion, though, and to answer "No, neither of you are worthy of suspicion" would be stupid and scummy.  Everyone is worth suspicion, from the start.  Only through making good cases and catching scum do people become somewhat exempt from it.
But when you walk into a game, do you immediately FoS everyone playing because they're all worthy of suspicion? No. You look for someone doing something MORE suspicious than usual, and press them in a search for scum.

Uh, what?  I thought it was standard procedure to have a little chart in your head of who's acting more scummy than who.  The scummiest person is the one you press to have lynched.  If two people are equally scummy, you lynch one based on gut feelings or randomly or whatever.  Average scumminess is what everyone is considered to have from the beginning.
So by this logic, if someone produces nothing scummy all game but doesn't do anything that useful either, they deserve to be lynched if necessary?

As I explicitly said, I considered him a decent lynch if no one better came up.  This seems to tie back into your objection to my idea of a broad scumminess scale instead of a boolean one.  I would've considered him a bad lynch if he had managed to appear un-scummy through townie behavior.  As things stood, I considered him no better than any other randomly chosen person.  If you had asked me what I thought about a UK lynch or an Alice lynch, I would've told you the same thing.  Fine as a terciary if no one better shows up.
But this seems like a pretty large assumption. "I will agree to the Pesco lynch if none of the remaining players do anything scummy at all"?

This seems to be a fundamental disagreement over what constitutes good scumhunting.  Your argument did indeed do nothing at all to make me think of Pesco as scummier.  It was a weak argument.  But it was an early game accusation, and at the time, it was the most detailed case out there.  It didn't convince me of Pesco's scumminess, but I wouldn't call it useless by any means.  I think it was better than saying nothing, 'cause it forced Pesco to put some words out there.  There's nothing wrong with leading the town a few steps down a wrong path when we're free to pursue so many paths simultaneously, and when we have no indication of what the right path is.
Alright, here's where the problem kicks in. I attack Pesco, he says some new things, and you don't give any opinion on them. To continue your 'path' analogy, this is you looking at the signpost on the crossroads, ignoring one path entirely.

Looking at it all together, your points against me seem to stem from disagreements in what constitutes good scumhunting.
So in the end, this entire argument is based on differing views on how to hunt?

I said you were tunneling earlier, but I think that was an overreaction on my part.  The reason you've mostly been talking to me is that I'm responding to your posts much more frequently than anyone else.  My biggest point of suspicion against you is that you seem to be giving KY a free pass.  I guess my opinion on your scumminess is contingent on KY's flip.  If he were town, I'd consider you unusually unscummy.  If he's scum, then you're on top of my list of suspects for trying to push me or Pesco to be lynched instead of him.
Here is where I probably need to make an admission. One of my biggest problems with Mafia is when I suspect someone, I decide that whoever they're targeting is immediately innocent if there's a fragment of doubt. The only reason I'm still supporting the lynch of Baity - Pesco's target - is that his play is so horrendously bad even keeping him alive is a WIFOM in itself. As such, I didn't want to attack KY out of fear that I was being goaded by scum into a mislynch.
Maybe I'm going at this the wrong way, though. I should stop saying 'Oh, my scum suspect is attacking X, he's probably trying for a mislynch' and just say 'Hey, X looks kinda scummy'. Looking at him without the bias of you targeting him, I have to agree that KY does look pretty horrible.

...Okay, I think I've pretty much argued Serp into the ground, and he pointed out something pretty important - my theories against him only really hold if Pesco is Town. I've spent the second half of the day trying to argue with him, but the fact that I've made no progress is probably pretty telling. Maybe his point that we're looking at this with two different views is more accurate than I thought. In addition I still have a relatively strong, much less opinionated case on Pesco in comparison, which he STILL hasn't got around to defending against...

##Unvote: Serpentarius
Vote: Pesco47

Getting my priorities straight. Always perform the necessary before the optional.
Looking at it without my Serp bias, I agree that KY is really not contributing. Still, Edible is more or less guilty of the same crime, so I'm not sure who I'd vote between the two...probably KY since that lynch is more likely to happen.

Alice is online. Got anything to say? You've been pretty quiet today...

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2009, 07:56:01 PM »
EBWOP: Also, in terms of sitting back and shutting up, Pesco is only slightly better than KY is, given that his last post was on page six and he was on six hours ago.

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2009, 08:05:43 PM »
Vote count:

pesco47 (4): Edible, Kiro, Roukanken, Alice, BaitySM, Roukanken
Roukanken (1): Serpentarius, Kiro
Alice (0): Carthrat, Zakeri, Affinity
Kanguya Yaraisan (2): UncertainKitten, Affinity, Serpentarius
Serpentarius (1): Mr. Alert, Carthrat, Roukanken
Affinity (0): BaitySM, Serpentarius, Kanguya Yaraisan
Zakeri (0): Alice
UncertainKitten (0): pesco47
BaitySM (3): pesco47, BaitySM, Affinity, UncertainKitten, Zakeri, Kanguya Yaraisan

pesco47 is at L-4.
BaitySM is at L-5.

Not voting: Zakeri, Mr. Alert.

7 hours remaining.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »
You guys are awfully quick to jump on me, given there are much better targets for inactivity this game. :V  I wonder who started that trend.

A thought occured to me today along those lines.  I'm going to dig through the game and see if it bears fruit.  Will post something else closer to deadline.

Serp

« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2009, 08:45:12 PM »
I've got class in a few minutes, I'll be back with a full response in a couple of hours.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2009, 08:48:26 PM »
You guys are awfully quick to jump on me, given there are much better targets for inactivity this game. :V  I wonder who started that trend.
'Jump on you'? You realise no-one has voted you, right?

Edible

« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2009, 08:51:39 PM »
I'm aware, but when one sees his name thrown around as a lurker and certain other names are not also mentioned, one gets worried.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2009, 09:00:21 PM »
I'm aware, but when one sees his name thrown around as a lurker and certain other names are not also mentioned, one gets worried.
Alice is online. Got anything to say? You've been pretty quiet today...
This what you're looking for? Off the top of my head KY has been mentioned as has Alert, and UK has a real life explanation. Carth and Kiro are possibly edging on lurking. Who am I missing?

Edible

« Reply #224 on: May 18, 2009, 09:03:03 PM »
That's pretty much half the players, so I doubt you missed anyone.  Maybe I'm being too sensitive.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #225 on: May 18, 2009, 09:06:02 PM »
Hi.

Walls, walls, and more walls. x_x Oh boy.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #226 on: May 18, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »
Miracle!

I'm up earlier! Reading as much text as I can in 15 minutes. I doubt I can even post anything at this point though. My lecture starts in 50 minutes, and I leave in 40. I will be back before deadline though, but by only about 2 hours or so.

@The people who haven't replied: Divulge "said" role (as per request by Edible)? Y/N? [if this can even get answered anyway)
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2009, 09:49:15 PM »
EBWOP: final bracket should be a square. "]"

...I'm off, will be back in 2 hours 20 mins.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2009, 10:01:32 PM »
Votecount is unchanged.

5 hours remaining.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #229 on: May 18, 2009, 10:02:45 PM »
@The people who haven't replied: Divulge "said" role (as per request by Edible)? Y/N? [if this can even get answered anyway)
Shit, too late to give a Y.

« Reply #230 on: May 18, 2009, 10:24:21 PM »
umm, Beilos ... you really should have given us more time to contemplate your roleclaim. Edible's prod should have been enough, considering you're one of the top two canidates.

Also, Pesco is town. Mark my words. I'm still doing analysis, but a surprising amount of my analysis is how Roukanken is using craplogic to get Pesco angry at him. Alice's vote is also very suspicious because of it.

Edible

« Reply #231 on: May 18, 2009, 10:28:56 PM »
Ugh, rereading UK is a pain in the ass.  Stop replying to every bit of every post everyone makes, or else any good points you might have get lost in the shuffle of worthless commentary.

Also, Pesco is town. Mark my words.

You're awfully sure of yourself.  Why?

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #232 on: May 18, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »
Seconding this question. Still don't see how his refusal to reply to my case, his ad hominem attacks and his subsequent disappearance don't qualify as scumtells.

Mr_Alert

• weeeooo weeeooo weeeooo
  • I hope that's from food coloring...
« Reply #233 on: May 18, 2009, 10:37:50 PM »
Earthquake fun! In any case, with that, and the Japanese cooking show and some other stuff, it looks like I'm a bit too busy to play right now, and unlike the last game I played, I no longer expect things to get better by day 2. So, I'ma go ahead and request a replacement.

« Reply #234 on: May 18, 2009, 10:40:09 PM »
Ugh, rereading UK is a pain in the ass.  Stop replying to every bit of every post everyone makes, or else any good points you might have get lost in the shuffle of worthless commentary.

beh, Might as well.

Incoming wall of Text.

Roukanken starts off by immedietly taking an offhand comment from pesco and ripping it apart with an entire paragraph. Votes Pesco for the gotcha game he tried to play on Beilos. This post is generally made of Beilos-hate hate (the jargon term being chainsaw defence), especially with the comment on Affinity's vote. Was he trying to claim Affinity was posting an IIoA ? This still bothers me.

Next post, Rou continues arguing the player exclusion point when Pesco said there was no reason to, since it wasn't part of his reasoning. Pesco's point of ignoring newbishness is countered by having Pesco explain why what Beilos did was not newbish. This is faulty because newbishness is not corelated with scumminess.

Quote from: Roukanken, Post 63
That said, Baity's responses are filled with more waffles than breakfast. As a word of advice, don't answer questions aimed at other people - let them defend themselves since otherwise it's a judgement of your character instead of theirs.
Since people seem to like pointing out how everyone is coaching scummy players, I figure I'd join in, too.

Pesco (correctly, as I can see) points out that Roukanken isn't scumhunting. At this point, it looks like he's Pescohunting.

Why would scum vote themselves? Because you would give them a free pass for it.
So suddenly MY opinion alone is worth taking this sort of obscene risk for? I'm not buying it - I mean, it certainly raised the suspicion of other people, so saying he's doing it to earn a free pass makes no sense.
Misrep - The point isn't to get just you to not vote, it's to get other likeminded people to not vote. bascially, the point of using WiFoM, confusing people.
The fact that you didn't really contribute anything new to the discussion is what irritated me.
Would have been nice if you said as much, rather than being vauge about it. Even still, he did contibute: a vote with a case behind it.

At least he does a good job of looking like he means all of this. Also, reading Pesco's Reply 81, I understand what Pesco is talking about. Rou seems more interested in making Pesco look like scum than looking for scum.

Pesco's 86 is very strong (argument wise). Roukanken needs to step up here to make anything of it. And yes, I know Pesco is being mean in this post, but considering what he's putting up with, it's more an issue of self-control than anything else.

Quote from: Roukanken, when accused of defending Beilos
If you'd notice, I'm also relatively suspicious of Baity (as I've said previously).
Not counting the part that I put as suspected coaching, I don't see where you commented that you didn't like what Beilos was doing.

The same post has Rou ignoring Pesco saying that he wasn't voting based on the player exclusion thing and brings it up as a point in why Pesco's voting was faulty. Roukanken seems to be trying to make it look like that was a valid point in Pesco's case just so he could keep strawmanning it to make Pesco look scummy.

Quote from: Some Naive person
And Baity's habit of answering other people's questions is doing him no favours. I'm not saying that he's definitely Town like you claim I am - just that Pesco's reasoning for attacking him was flawed.
[...]
The only reason I've had to spend so long talking about Pesco is that there was at the time little else to comment on.
I'll accept this
I'll no longer accept this. The flawed reasoning you're complaining about is something that you're forcing Pesco to hold up against his will in his accusation. Excluding people from the vote is not one of the reasons he is voting Beilos now, and he's explained twice now that it isn't.

Right now, the only valid point against Pesco was that he seems to be insulting Roukanken with comments like "I'd like to see him Scumhunting." The thing was, I ended up agreeing with Pesco on that when I looked at Roukanken's arguments in depth.

Also, from what i see in the backandforth between Roukanken and Serp is that he tried taking one thing Serpent commented on, and ran with it, twisting Serpent's words against him as often as he can to keep the argument going. It looks to me like Roukanken is trying to be as much of a distraction to scumhunting as he can be while being written off as aggressive townie.

Re: Yume Nikki Mafia - Dream 1 (The Guillotine Room) [Replacement Needed]
« Reply #235 on: May 18, 2009, 10:43:31 PM »
Edit: Whole nine yards
##Vote: Roukanken

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #236 on: May 18, 2009, 10:45:40 PM »
@Serp:

[QUIOTE]If no one stands out as unusually scummy, it's in the town's best interest to execute at random.  The only way to kill scum is to lynch them - spending all day whining about how we don't have enough evidence to convict just gives the mafia a free pass to the next night.[/QUOTE]

Now this just seems like sour grapes.  Rou's point against you is that you think pesco is okay as a lynch even though you peg him as a neutral.  Then you go all off-tangent and say the above.  Firstly, it's not that no one stands out as unusually scummy, it's that two people seem to be much scummier than everyone else and you want to lynch them. 

Secondly, day one is arguably the worst time to get multiple lynches on the account that there are no bandwagons and flips to analyze; and to lynch extra otherwise neutrally pegged people for the sake of hoping to nail scum is very very bad at best.  Best is to maintain them into the later days so that more evidence can be garnered for judgment on their alignment, instead of lynching them on day one before they even have a chance.

Lastly, I support the double lynch KY and Baity today because I don't want to see them in the endgame, and that with their current style of play, none of them can seem to be capable to redeem themselves in the process stated above.  WIFOMs might be created horribly, and that's not something we want.

---

@Mr_Alert

How horribly irresponsible of you.  I propose a 3-game ban.

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2009, 10:49:18 PM »
Earthquake fun! In any case, with that, and the Japanese cooking show and some other stuff, it looks like I'm a bit too busy to play right now, and unlike the last game I played, I no longer expect things to get better by day 2. So, I'ma go ahead and request a replacement.
Well, replacement spot open then. Interested players please PM me ASAP.

-----

Vote count:

pesco47 (4): Edible, Kiro, Roukanken, Alice, BaitySM, Roukanken
Roukanken (2): Serpentarius, Kiro, Zakeri.
Alice (0): Carthrat, Zakeri, Affinity
Kanguya Yaraisan (2): UncertainKitten, Affinity, Serpentarius
Serpentarius (1): Mr. Alert, Carthrat, Roukanken
Affinity (0): BaitySM, Serpentarius, Kanguya Yaraisan
Zakeri (0): Alice
UncertainKitten (0): pesco47
BaitySM (3): pesco47, BaitySM, Affinity, UncertainKitten, Zakeri, Kanguya Yaraisan

pesco47 is at L-4.
BaitySM is at L-5.

Not voting: Mr. Alert.

6.25 hours remaining.

« Reply #238 on: May 18, 2009, 10:55:08 PM »
Edit again: I'd also like to see post numbers/links to all of Pesco's Ad-Homined attacks on Roukanken. From the attacks I've seen, they were rude and indirect, but I fail to see how "Roukanken needs to Scumhunt" is an attack on roukanken's Character rather than his playstyle. At the time, I think it's a valid complaint.

Edible

« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2009, 10:58:39 PM »
Edit again: I'd also like to see post numbers/links to all of Pesco's Ad-Homined attacks on Roukanken. From the attacks I've seen, they were rude and indirect, but I fail to see how "Roukanken needs to Scumhunt" is an attack on roukanken's Character rather than his playstyle. At the time, I think it's a valid complaint.

You could say the same about pesco.  Where was he scumhunting, precisely?  I only saw him being offensive and reactionary when he wasn't giving vague prods or making useless statements.

I'm still wondering how you arrived at your 100% Town Pesco conclusion.  This is a very bold statement to make considering there's a good chance he's getting lynched today.