Author Topic: Progress of the PC-98 game patches,whoever is/was doing it?  (Read 43159 times)

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
Re: Progress of the PC-98 game patches,whoever is/was doing it?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 04:59:39 AM »
I'll try it, but what should I paste?  Notepad doesn't display the characters properly...

This one

I fcuking love you?
:3
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:03:07 AM by Nyyl »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 05:03:42 AM »
Derp, I are stupid, Extra works fine, well done!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

TL777 ✌

• Fuwa fuwa desu~~~
  • Do you know what time it is?
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 05:19:37 AM »
You my friend, are awesome!  8)

Montblanc

• I'll drive my toe into your eye socket,
  • And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 05:21:23 AM »
I fcuking love you?

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 05:25:28 AM »
Mostly-finished SoEW English patch here
Well, it's not exactly a "patch", but it's the next best thing. Stage dialogue and music commentary are currently translated. If someone good enough to get to the extra stage could confirm that the text there is properly formatted, that would be most helpful :V

What is this "editdisk" you speak of? ???

Also, I'd be really excited and bouncing, but it's SoEW, so. :V
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 05:27:40 AM »
What is this "editdisk" you speak of? ???

Also, I'd be really excited and bouncing, but it's SoEW, so. :V
It's the program included in the .zip, should be in the EDITDISK folder.
And yeah, SoEW I know, but hey one step at a time right?

nintendonut888

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 05:31:24 AM »
Right, I just noticed my stupidity.

But...how do you use it? ??? There's not really any instructions that I'm aware of, and the readme is very vague on what to do...

EDIT: Also, question: Does this have the endings translated?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:36:28 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 05:39:40 AM »
Right, I just noticed my stupidity.

But...how do you use it? ??? There's not really any instructions that I'm aware of, and the readme is very vague on what to do...
Sorry :( I'll reupload it with more specific instructions
1: Open EDITDISK
2: Browse to the SoEW rom and open it
3: It should ask for a disk format, just choose Anex86 HDD
4: Copy 東方封魔.録 and paste it into the EDITDISK window, the same way you would with any normal file

For the font
1: Open Anex86
2: Click Config
3: Click on the font tab
4: Next to the "File Name" box, click the button that says "..."
5: Browse to SoEW.bmp and choose that

That should do it.

And no, the endings aren't translated (yet)
Someone who is good with moonspeak will have to help out there, because as far as I know there aren't any existing translations of it
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:41:14 AM by Nyyl »

nintendonut888

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 05:55:35 AM »
Ah, I got it to work.

Do you mind if I give some constructive criticism?

You have done the very best that you can with the resources you've been given. However, this patch is rather incomplete. Some things that could be done if you managed to get into contact with a good translator:

1. Translate the endings (big one, since that's what most people want from these patches that they don't normally get).

2. Translate all the smaller things like shot type information.

3. Retranslate the entire script. There is more than one spot of the translation that has, to my puny fourth year Japanese knowledge at least, sounded very wrong, and the dialogue in general feels a little stiff (though that may very well be PC-98 dialogue).

I really do appreciate the work you've done, but I feel that with a good translator and some more effort, a good thing may become something great.

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 06:11:05 AM »
Well... yeah. There's people a lot more capable than a guy like me playing around with text editors and dat packers. This is really more of a quick fix than anything. Stuff like editing images, and reverse-engineering compressed/encoded files is way beyond my ability, so even if a good translator wanted to help out I wouldn't be able to do a lot. All the resources are here so if someone more experienced comes along... but yeah I don't think I can do too much more than just this.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2010, 07:37:33 AM »
This doesnt work for me

MaronaPossessed

• I am free to dream of my own dream
  • and so I shall dream
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »
I tried to do the editdisk as you said but the error message I get when I paste the file in is "Failed to find file in a folder, *file path*" and then "Importing is aborted" :(

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 12:45:55 AM »
Ayayayaya
I tried everything but I can't recreate that error. I don't really know that much about editdisk, sorry :c
I probably shouldn't have even tried to do this in the first place.

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »
Ayayayaya
I tried everything but I can't recreate that error. I don't really know that much about editdisk, sorry :c
I probably shouldn't have even tried to do this in the first place.
Nah it's called progress.

However, there is a translation for the endings (except 2 bad ends) on SoEW...

Take a look at this topic.

I got the transcript of them(not sloppy I assure you) if you'd like it.

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »
So, I took the tools that were available and did some stuff.

Namely, in SoEW I polished the dialogue a bit, transcribed the good endings, and put in most of the song names for where they appear in the Music Room. That text is stored multiple places it seems, as the selected song will appear in Japanese at the top of the screen, which I think is cool.

Additionally, I fixed an age-old issue with the choice names in THRtP, so I bundled that up as well.

Get the new TH01 patch
Get the new TH02 patch
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

DA

• Some dude on the internet
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2010, 10:14:15 PM »
Vista doesnt want the patching stuff to work for me. Can someone please pm me a patched file of the games.  :ohdear:

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2010, 11:54:57 PM »
Vista doesnt want the patching stuff to work for me. Can someone please pm me a patched file of the games.  :ohdear:

As I said in the readme, you need to run EditDisk in a Japanese locality setting, either with Applocal or some other means. It will not be able to handle 東方封魔.録 otherwise.

However, in the event that you cannot do this, I have prepared an HDI file with the Japanese files, along with the patched 東方封魔.録 and OP.EXE, but nothing else inside. You'll need to supply the rest of the files from your own copy of SoEW. It's like a reverse-patch.  :V

Get the TH02 reverse patch
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:17:42 AM by Prime 2.0 »

Montblanc

• I'll drive my toe into your eye socket,
  • And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2010, 12:33:14 AM »
>_> I can never seem to get EditDisk to work. I follow the instructions to the T, and yet nothing changes.

Can someone please pm me a patched file of the games.  :ohdear:

I would appreciate this. Dx;;

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 02:02:21 AM »
So, I took the tools that were available and did some stuff.

Namely, in SoEW I polished the dialogue a bit, transcribed the good endings, and put in most of the song names for where they appear in the Music Room. That text is stored multiple places it seems, as the selected song will appear in Japanese at the top of the screen, which I think is cool.

Additionally, I fixed an age-old issue with the choice names in THRtP, so I bundled that up as well.

Get the new TH01 patch
Get the new TH02 patch
Oooh. It makes me feel better that more people are taking a shot at this :D It was probably a better idea to use lower case letters than to make people fiddle with an impractical font replacement anyway, good call.
Also: the titles for the selected songs in music mode are stored in the same file as the music comments. I left those alone because some of them wouldn't fit on the line, so if you want to change them that's where they are.

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 02:56:51 AM »
Oooh. It makes me feel better that more people are taking a shot at this :D It was probably a better idea to use lower case letters than to make people fiddle with an impractical font replacement anyway, good call.
Also: the titles for the selected songs in music mode are stored in the same file as the music comments. I left those alone because some of them wouldn't fit on the line, so if you want to change them that's where they are.

Actually, I intend to have two different patch versions in the final, one that uses lowercase, and one that takes advantage of the custom font. As for the selected songs, I intend to leave them Japanese, because being able to see the original name even with English listings is cool.

That said, progress on the patch has been going very smoothly. I have the location of nearly every string I intend to alter in MAIN.EXE and OP.EXE, and I'm trying to get in contact with the Touhou LPer who had those good ending translations to see if I can't get some for the bad endings, and END3.txt as well.

All that is left currently is the "are you sure you want to quit" pause dialogue, shot type descriptions, and the text at the top of the screen when selecting a shot type, both for the regular game and for the extra stage. The titlecards are something that I can't change; I know where they are, but there simply isn't enough space to insert a translation for any of them. The HUD text I believe is actually stored as images in TOUHOU.DAT, which Radical R(who I got into contact with when I made the TH01 patch fix) says uses an XOR cipher. That said I'm going to contact Alice_Margetroid to see if his(her?) patching effort has edited images that are ready to be used.

Now, in order to locate the specific strings for the text at the top of the shot type select screen, I'll need a partial Japanese transcript of it. Naturally, I will also need a translation of the text(and the shot type descriptions themselves) for me to insert; preferably, the English script should occupy the same lines from which they were translated.

...Here's to the hope of a speedy release.  :V

EDIT: Thanks for the transcripts, Nyyl!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:38:35 AM by Prime 2.0 »

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 03:01:59 AM »
Shot type descriptions are in OP.EXE

Type A:
陰陽玉の力を使わない
広範囲でかつ機動力に
強い高機動力タイプ

Type B:
靈撃が優れている
バランスの取れた
防御重視タイプ

Type C:
陰陽玉の力で戦う
攻撃力が優れている
攻撃重視タイプ

Text at top of screen: 靈夢の戦闘スタイルを、下の3つからえらんでね

I just edited the pause menu but it looks like you already have an edited MAIN.EXE. You could probably do a better job than me anyway. Keep up the good work :D

EDIT: I misread your post, but the text you're looking for is in the same area as the shot type descriptions anyway
注) エキストラステージでは、難易度、プレイヤー、ボム数は変更出来ません
それぞれ、難易度EXTRA、プレイヤー3人、ボム1個となります
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:08:41 AM by Nyyl »

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 08:33:23 PM »
Nyyl

I got it working but with using the anex japanese font(but has english in it too), the only error is that some of the sentences, the first word begins with $. I don't know if that's easy to edit.

But if its too complicated, we'll stick with the SoEW.bmp. I figured it would be a simple fix.

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 09:44:34 PM »
Nyyl

I got it working but with using the anex japanese font(but has english in it too), the only error is that some of the sentences, the first word begins with $. I don't know if that's easy to edit.

But if its too complicated, we'll stick with the SoEW.bmp. I figured it would be a simple fix.
As far as I know, it's nigh on impossible to fix. On every emulator, regular V and W (hex 56 and hex 57) simply don't display. The problem lies either in ZUN's programming (the games weren't meant to run in emulators, after all) or with PC98 emulation itself, because the other games have the same problem.

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2010, 11:12:03 PM »
Alrighty thanks^^

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I love you so much for doing this.

Are there plans to move on to 3/4/5 afterwards?  Just curious.

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2010, 03:38:32 PM »
I love you so much for doing this.

Are there plans to move on to 3/4/5 afterwards?  Just curious.

Very few, at the moment. I can't repack the primary data file in the other games at the moment, so dialogue/ending/music room text insertion is impossible. I've experimented with inserting some text into LLS's MAIN.EXE, but what I've found so far is that the in-game BGM names have their spaces tailer-fit to the number of characters they currently take, as opposed to SoEW which just had a one-size-fits-all kind of deal. This means that I can't put in English BGM names in LLS(and presumably Mystic Square) for their appearance in the lower right while playing.

As for the SoEW patch, I've done pretty much all I can at this point: The only stuff left that I know how to alter are the shot type descriptions, the "choose your shot type" text, the bad endings, and the contents of END3.TXT, all of which need an English script for me to transcribe.

On that note, neither Zorak(of the something awful LPs) or Alice have responded to my attempts to contact them for help translating the remaining text. I'm going to give it a little while longer, but if I don't hear a response from them, or receive an offer from someone else who can do the translations soon, I'll just release what I have.

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2010, 04:50:54 PM »
Man...I wonder how you guys do that. I tried using axe and brightmoon and I get gibberish...

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2010, 07:09:47 PM »
Just found this thread now, Thanks for all youve done so far, its fantastic to play and be able to read the dialouge. You don't realise just how much it effects the play experience till you've played with it.

Have you tried asking in one of the more frequently visited sections for people to translate the ingame text? Given how much there is it cant take too long if you have the text on hand for bilinguals here to sort it out.

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2010, 07:15:44 PM »
Point me to where I could ask without getting yelled at, and I'll gladly do it.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »
Well theres a thread requesting english speakers for "NEW HORIZUN" in touhou addict recovery centre, but then thats for touhou related and not actual touhou.

I'd probably say miscenaneous matters, and ask for Bilingual speakers to help translate PC-98 touhou dialouge. I cant see why it'd be a problem, And I cant see why anyone would want to make it a problem either when its for the community. but then I haven't been here too long either lol