Author Topic: Welcome to TARC! Newbs and Old-Timers, READ OR DIE! (UPDATED April 26, 2017)  (Read 32947 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Welcome to the Touhou Addict Recovery Center! Here, you can discuss fan speculations and theories, share your favorites videos, music and images, show off your merch, or talk about pretty much anything related to Gensokyo or being a Touhou fan.

Is the thread you want to start basically a single question? Post your question in the Miscellaneous Questions thread instead. Just about every day on TARC lately, I am merging threads with OPs like "Where can I find this song?" or "Why did Touhous go from slippers to shoes after IaMP?" with the Miscellaneous Questions thread. So please, if you just want to ask a question, ask it in that thread. It'll save us all a lot of time.

Regarding ZUN's official policy on fanworks
Fans will sometimes want to make fan works. As this question tends to come up a lot, here is ZUN's official policy on fan works, as of 2011:
最近、企業が作成する時に二次創作グッズが増えてきたので、それに合わせてガイドラインを改定しました。
Lately the numbers of derivative works explode when commercial works are
released, so I wanted to update the guidelines with that in mind.
 こんな感じでお願いします。
I hope things can work something like this.
 基本的に同人サークルの二次創作に関するガイドラインは今までとそんなに変わっておりません。
The basic rules for derivatives by doujin circles aren't really that
different.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
東方Projectの版権を利用する際のガイドライン 2011年版
Guidelines for using the Touhou Project setting - ver. 2011

これは東方Projectのガイドラインを2011年現在の状況にあわせて改定したものです。
This is a revision to the Touhou Project guidelines, updated for the
state of affairs in 2011.

○同人活動での利用について
Use in doujin activities
[n.b. - things doujin circles should do when making Touhou stuff, like
        having contact information visible, attribution, etc.]

基本的に今までのガイドラインを踏襲してください。
Basically, just follow the guidelines as they've been up 'til now.
 詳しい内容は、以前の回答をまとめていただいたページがありますので、そちらを参考にしてください。
Detailed information is in the questions and answers collected on this
page, so please have a look.
  →http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Yoyo/1736/t-081-2.html

なお、同人作品として発表されたそのものを商業流通に乗せてしまうことは基本的に許可しません。
Selling doujin works in commercial channels is generally not allowed.

*内容で基本的には個別で許可を出したり公認したりする事はありませんので、創作活動は自己判断、自己責任でお願いします。
I don't generally review or veto the contents of independent works, so please use
your own personal judgment in and take responsibility for your works.

○企業グッズでの申請について
Applications for commercial goods

企業でグッズを販売する場合は、許可が必要です。
You need my permission to sell commercial goods.

東方の二次創作や二次使用についての問い合わせについては、
 現在友人に受付窓口を協力してもらっています。
A friend of mine has graciously offered to serve as the point of
contact for inquiries about works derived from Touhou.

企業の方へはこちらから折り返し連絡をしますので、以下のフォームから問い合わせてください。
We'll promptly address inquiries from commercial outfits, so please use the following
form to contact us.
  https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFBiWldmOUlCYWpWZm9IWFAxVmJpU0E6MQ

*また、企業グッズで性的表現(性的表現のある抱き枕など)のあるものはご遠慮ください。
In addition, please refrain from making commercial goods of a sexualized
nature (such as dakimakura covers with sexual imagery).

○二次創作物の制限について
Restrictions on derivative works

同人・企業とも、次の内容に関連するものについては、現在の所、二次創作を制限させてください。
I'd like to place the following restrictions on all
derivative works, regardless of whether they're commercial or independent:
 ・アニメーション(※)が主体となる作品の有償での展開
For-profit development of works whose main element is animation(*)
 ・Xbox360 インディーズゲームでの販売
Sale of software on the XBox 360 Indies channel
 ・AppStore や Androidマーケットでの販売(企業の方は問い合わせしてください)
Sale of software via the App Store, Android Market, etc. (for commercial
parties, please get in contact with me)
 ・原作の流通(一般的な同人流通)を越えた形態での販売(海外向けのダウンロード販売等)
Sale of works in channels that are further reaching than the distribution channels
used by the original works. The original works are primarily sold in general doujin
channels. So, please refrain from using download sales sites primarily oriented for
overseas customers, etc.
 ・その他過剰な性的表現や、特定の個人、団体、人種などを中傷する内容等、こちらで社会通念上著しく不適応だと判断した場合
Other works (e.g. works of excessive sexual depictions and works that would slander
a particular person, group or race) when we determine that such works are extremely
inappropriate given societal norms.

このガイドラインの発表以前に発表されたもので、これらの内容にあてはまるものについては、公開している方に判断をお任せします。
I'll leave the question of what to do with works released before this update
to the guidelines that may fall astray of one of its provisions up to the
judgment of their creators.

※ ここでいうアニメーションとはいわゆる「セルアニメーション」のことで、3Dソフトで作成されたものや、イラストとエフェクトで構成されるようなものは除きます。
* By this I mean so-called "traditional cel animation"; computer-generated 3D
animation and 2D illustrations with special effects processing aren't included
in this restriction.
There you have it, from the man himself. If you think your fan work(s), under the guidelines ZUN has established, might require his review, take advantage of the contact form he has provided, or even his Twitter - he tweets a lot, and he seems to respond to people there as well.

Just to make sure all good fairies play nice in Gensokyo, we do have a few rules, though, which are designed to make your experience here fun and engaging.

1. No power level discussions. Period. This means talking about how X could totally beat Y in a fight, or that Z's powers are totally more powerful than A's, and similar pointless bickering that basically equates a peen measuring contest between different Touhou characters. Such discussions will be deleted, and offenders might be probated or banned.

2. Don't ask for nor post download links to games, nor talk about downloading games. This is not a negotiable policy.  Your post will be deleted and your account subject to probation or ban depending on the severity of the instance. The same goes for any copyrighted material, actually. Talking about downloading or having downloaded the games is also strongly discouraged. Feel free to talk about playing, enjoying, hating, procuring, acquiring, ordering, buying or obtaining them instead. Piracy is frowned upon here; don't go there.

3. No one wants to hear about your waifu. Waifu talk ties in with power level talk: pissing contests about whose "girl" is better, and/or creepy discussions about having romantic feelings for fictional video game characters. Please avoid waifu talk; discuss your favorites instead.

4. "Primary"/"Secondary" accusations are stupid. Seriously, we all like touhou to varying degrees here.  Let's not get elitist about it.  Not only is it irrelevant, it's also stupid!

UPDATE, 24 February: Complete rules on piracy can be found here.

5. Game discussion doesn't go here. If you're looking to discuss the games themselves there's three other boards your attention should be brought to.

Help Me, Eirin! - All Touhou game discussion, official or unofficial
Rika's Garage - Danmakufu discussion (cards and games based on DMF like CtC)
Akyu's Arcade - Games that are not Touhou-related

If you post in the wrong forum don't be surprised if your thread is moved or locked.  This is to keep things nice and orderly and to avoid repeat threads.

6. Regarding Images: OK, apparently there's been some confusion with regards to posting images on this site, and as we have a rockin' image thread, let me just lay down a couple easy-to-follow rules for images:

~ No hotlinking/direct image linking. This is for two reasons. Number one, because it steals bandwidth from sites. Number two, because often all you'll end up giving people is a 403 error (as they'll need to visit the site, thereby getting the site's cookies, before being able to see direct images).

~ No images bigger than 640x480 (that's Touhou windowed modo size) nor heavier than 150 KB. This is a site-wide rule. "But I want to share this awesome Remilia wallpaper" you say? Then thumbnail it, and link to the full-size image. Imageshack, for example, provides thumbnailing in a very self-explanatory way, but Tinypic, Photobucket, and other sites can also be used.

~ If you are linking to something NSFW, label it as such. What's NSFW? Err on the side of caution - if you think it might be NSFW, go ahead and call it that. No one will get mad at you for labelling a tame image as NSFW. Failing to label a NSFW pic as such, however, makes baby tengus cry.

~ Regarding Danbooru - due to the ads, the site is NSFW. Warn when you are linking to Danbooru. Furthermore, Danbooru will not allow you to link directly to an image (e.g., sdkjds84t4kjfls849sjdk489f.jpg) - you can see it, of course, because you've been to the page where the image is. No one else will be able to see your image. Link to the Danbooru page itself.

We all love sharing illustrations of our favorite Gensokyans, but please stick to these rules when posting images.

PS: Helpful Danbooru tip: You don't need to copy the entire URL - only up to and including the numbers after /show/. For example: http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/670619/2girls-animal_ears-black_hair-camera-geta-hakurei_ can be posted as http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/670619 and the link will still work.

That's pretty much it as far as rules go. Respect other posters, don't be shy about participating, and remember - the staff is here to accept your ideas, criticisms and suggestions. PM them any time. Thanks!

Other Important Information/Links About Touhou That You May Find Useful:

General Information

Dedicated Fansites

Imageboards

• Worksafe (most of the time) Imageboard: [NOW DEFUNCT. rest in peace, Pooshlmer]
    Spam your silly Touhou pictures and doujins here.
  • Coolier: http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~coolier2/
    Japanese Touhou imageboard with oekaki and such.

Buy Stuff

IRC

• #shrinemaiden @ irc.ppirc.net
    The most popular English Touhou IRC channel.  Based on this site.
  • #touhou @ irc.rizon.net
    Nobody ever, ever talks in here.  Only bother with idling in here if you're already on Rizon. :V
  • #iamp @ irc.mizuumi.net
    Channel for IaMP matches, discussion, and such.

Other

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:35:11 AM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."