Author Topic: JoJo's Bizarre Grail War Part 2 - A Fate/Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 220910 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: JoJo's Bizarre Grail War Part 2 - A Fate/Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #480 on: November 05, 2017, 10:39:02 PM »
> Take a moment to observe it carefully, just to make sure it's definitely not functioning. Don't want it to self-destruct on us or something.
> Then move in to take a closer look.

>You observe it, and find it is making a kind of slow, constant wheezing noise. It doesn't seem to be doing anything else. You can also see that Archer's arrow caught it along the bottom, where its left wing meets its body. However, the fall has made it hard to tell how much damage that did; the whole thing is beaten up. Corrosion overs a lot of its length, in a kind of way that suggests it is part of the design. The wings are etched to look like feathers, you think the front it tapered to look like a bird's head; what you can see coming from the bush. Both of the wings are sagging, you aren't sure if they are removable or if they are sheered off.
>The wheezing sound hasn't stopped or changed at all in this time.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #481 on: November 06, 2017, 12:26:20 AM »
> "Put another arrow in it just to make sure. Then can you pull it out for me?"
> "Oh, and point the head away from us, just in case it can still see."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #482 on: November 06, 2017, 12:45:54 AM »
> "Put another arrow in it just to make sure. Then can you pull it out for me?"
> "Oh, and point the head away from us, just in case it can still see."

>Archer draws, nocks, and fires another arrow into the drone without pausing, not even needing to aim. The arrow sinks into its neck. Then she walks over and pulls it out from the bush. "Huh, it's lighter than you'd expect a hawk made of brass to be," she says as she tugs it out with ease and sets it on the ground. The tail is blunt and bird-like, made of etched and corroded brass like the rest of it.  One of the wings flops around, and nearly falls off.  It's still making that wheezing noise, nothing has stopped that.
>"I'm sure that noise is coming from inside," says Archer.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #483 on: November 06, 2017, 01:07:42 AM »
> "Think you can crack it open?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #484 on: November 06, 2017, 01:22:41 AM »
> "Think you can crack it open?"

>"I think you could crack it open," says Archer, as she produces her daggers.
>She kneels beside the drone, punches the knives above its wings. In short order, she prises the top of its body off to reveal...nothing much at all.
>The interior is hollow, with just enough internal framework that it won't collapse to some basic force. You think Archer was right, you probably could have torn this open yourself. Most of the hollowness is occupied by a cloth bag, which flaps weakly, as something were trying to fill it, but it leaks were preventing it from doing so. There are several of those, from Archer's arrows, then her crude opening of the device. Taking a closer look, you see that the bag is connected to the front and back of the drone. it seems air is being pulled in from the front, and...was intended to be expelled from the back?
>"Not even enough on this thing for a stew seasoning," Archer says.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #485 on: November 06, 2017, 01:52:06 AM »
> "Huh...does it really just pump air to fly? The construction of this is awfully simple."
> "Pry open the head. Maybe the complicated bits are in there."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #486 on: November 06, 2017, 02:04:27 AM »
> "Huh...does it really just pump air to fly? The construction of this is awfully simple."
> "Pry open the head. Maybe the complicated bits are in there."

>"I guess," says Archer. "I've never seen anything like it. It seems awfully modern..."
>Archer pries open the head next. The eyes seem to be pieces of some polished bluish rock, you think they're turquoises. Inside, you find what seem to be a series of empty glass tubes of various sizes connected to each other by a series of hoses.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #487 on: November 06, 2017, 02:44:55 AM »
> "These almost look like vacuum tubes. That's a technology that went obsolete well over half a century ago."
> Can we make any kind of conjecture about how this thing works? Obviously it's capable of some sort of computing and probably steers itself, but does it have some way to relay information without being constantly scried on?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #488 on: November 06, 2017, 02:47:40 AM »
> "These almost look like vacuum tubes. That's a technology that went obsolete well over half a century ago."
> Can we make any kind of conjecture about how this thing works? Obviously it's capable of some sort of computing and probably steers itself, but does it have some way to relay information without being constantly scried on?

>"Huh, I wouldn't know," says Archer.
>At a glance, you think the eyes are key. They wouldn't just use some kind of semiprecious stone for decoration. You suspect the brass design is also part of it, likely channeling mana in some manner or other; even the etching might be important. There's almost certainly some kind of spell still active on it, given the wind activity around the bag in the central bit.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #489 on: November 06, 2017, 02:53:48 AM »
> "Okay...best I can tell, it's a simple little glider that flies by using mana to pump air through that bag. I suppose these glass bits are a sort of onboard computer to track a target, which means the parts that connects it to its master would be..."
> Yoink the eyes! "These." Disconnect them and examine them closely.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #490 on: November 06, 2017, 02:56:59 AM »
> "Okay...best I can tell, it's a simple little glider that flies by using mana to pump air through that bag. I suppose these glass bits are a sort of onboard computer to track a target, which means the parts that connects it to its master would be..."
> Yoink the eyes! "These." Disconnect them and examine them closely.

>You try to pull out the eyes, and find they are set in pretty firmly.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #491 on: November 06, 2017, 03:07:48 AM »
> Sigh. "Can I see your knife?"
> Try to pry them out.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #492 on: November 06, 2017, 03:17:12 AM »
> Sigh. "Can I see your knife?"
> Try to pry them out.

>She offers you a dagger. You pry out one of the eyes, and are working on another when you faintly hear a motor in the distance, toward the west. It doesn't sound like a care, more like a motorcycle? Archer frowns. tilting her head.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #493 on: November 06, 2017, 03:19:01 AM »
> Pocket it and return the dagger.
> "Let's start moving back towards the car."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #494 on: November 06, 2017, 03:23:35 AM »
> Pocket it and return the dagger.
> "Let's start moving back towards the car."

>Archer nods and takes her dagger back.
>You obtain: Possible Turquoises x2
>The engine is definitely getting closer, and fast. It sounds kind of like how you think dirt bikes would sound.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #495 on: November 06, 2017, 03:32:59 AM »
> "I think it's an offroad motorcycle! They've got to be crazy to be going this fast in the forest, though. It might be a servant!"
> Keep moving back, and get a Wall spell ready!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #496 on: November 06, 2017, 03:34:39 AM »
> "I think it's an offroad motorcycle! They've got to be crazy to be going this fast in the forest, though. It might be a servant!"
> Keep moving back, and get a Wall spell ready!

>You keep moving, but the sound is getting closer!
>"There they are!" Archer sends, "Two of them, on some four-wheeled vehicle, coming from the southwest!"

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #497 on: November 06, 2017, 03:42:06 AM »
> "It's an ATV! Okay, get ready to fight, but only shoot first if they've got a weapon drawn!"
> Look for some high ground or maybe a tight grouping of trees to get defensively situated.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #498 on: November 06, 2017, 03:48:07 AM »
> "It's an ATV! Okay, get ready to fight, but only shoot first if they've got a weapon drawn!"
> Look for some high ground or maybe a tight grouping of trees to get defensively situated.

>You find a tight grouping of trees and run for it. The vehicle, you assume it's an ATV, isn't fair behind now.
>In fact, you as you take position, you can see it. The driver is a small woman in a gown, at a glance you assume she's in her fifties. The gown makes you think she's some European muckity muck of some kind; or has pretensions of it. Behind her is a man that, at a glance, you would describe as "stereotype average fifties man", possibly with a name no one uses anymore like Edsel or Lambert. His clothing is aggressively normal, and he looks like someone's dad from that era. You are certain he is the servant.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #499 on: November 06, 2017, 03:58:40 AM »
What the fuck Purvis.

> Call out, using a big tree as cover. "Stop right there, or we'll attack!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #500 on: November 06, 2017, 04:15:10 AM »
> Call out, using a big tree as cover. "Stop right there, or we'll attack!"

>Archer nocks an arrow to emphasize your words.
>The ATV swerves and comes to a stop, giving you a moment to examine its occupants further. The small woman seems to be in her late forties or early fifties, her face bearing some lines and her hair having a few streaks of gray. Her gown is made of some kind of fancy material that you cannot quote identify, but it makes her look like a grandma's curtains. The fact she is wearing a string of pearls doesn't help this image. She stares at you and Archer through narrowed eyes, making no secret that she is appraising you.
>The servant...just doesn't look like he should be here at all. He's wearing a button-up pocket t-shirt and comfortable-looking slacks. A gun holster rests at his side, but it barely looks threatening. He looks like a off duty park ranger or something. The gun itself is currently in his hand, some kind of pistol, definitely more modern than Princip's, and pointed toward the ground. He watches Archer, but it's so hard to take his plain features seriously, and he is clearly more wary than threatening. Having seen what she can do with her bow, you don't think Archer is immediately outmatched here. If there is an opposite of the likes of Lancer, or of Ford, it is certainly this man.
>"So you're going to surrender that easily?" says the woman. "That's kind of disappointing! But for the better, isn't it?"
>"I don't think that's their intent, Eileen," says the servant.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #501 on: November 06, 2017, 04:30:52 AM »
> Compose self.
> "Alright listen, here's where I stand. I know I'm a filler master in this Grail War, but it hasn't stopped me from running into six out of seven servants in three days' time. I think you're all ganging up on me, and at a minimum you all know something I don't."
> "I'd prefer not to kill anybody, but surrender isn't an option because I don't know how to remove command seals. So what I'm asking is for you to leave us alone until I can meet the Overseer, get my questions answered, and know what my options are."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #502 on: November 06, 2017, 04:33:36 AM »
> Compose self.
> "Alright listen, here's where I stand. I know I'm a filler master in this Grail War, but it hasn't stopped me from running into six out of seven servants in three days' time. I think you're all ganging up on me, and at a minimum you all know something I don't."
> "I'd prefer not to kill anybody, but surrender isn't an option because I don't know how to remove command seals. So what I'm asking is for you to leave us alone until I can meet the Overseer, get my questions answered, and know what my options are."

>"...You know who the overseer is?" says the older woman, raising an eyebrow. Her posture relaxes a little, you realize she was ready to zip off at a moment's notice beforehand. "Who is it?"
>"This servant gives me a funny feeling," Archer sends to you. "Not in the threatening way, but in the 'something is really strange' way."

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #503 on: November 06, 2017, 04:42:14 AM »
> "Uh...well, no, I don't know their identity. I can just sense where the Grail is and I'm assuming they'll be nearby."
> @archer: "Whatever he is, I think it's a safe bet his abilities don't have anything to do with that handgun. He has to be either Saber or Caster, right?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #504 on: November 06, 2017, 04:45:39 AM »
> "Uh...well, no, I don't know their identity. I can just sense where the Grail is and I'm assuming they'll be nearby."
> @archer: "Whatever he is, I think it's a safe bet his abilities don't have anything to do with that handgun. He has to be either Saber or Caster, right?"

>"Yeah," Archer sends. "I'm not sure what he's planning."
>"Well, welcome to the party, grab a cocktail, plop down on the divan," says the older woman. "No one knows who's overseeing this whole thing, and it's driving all the old magic families nuts! The Einzberns are practically on the warpath!"

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #505 on: November 06, 2017, 04:58:26 AM »
> Frown. "Koch sounded like he knew what was going on, but he was going to wish for the Grail to go away, so I doubt he was behind it. But nobody's getting any answers out of him now."
> What kind of accent does she have?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #506 on: November 06, 2017, 05:02:07 AM »
> Frown. "Koch sounded like he knew what was going on, but he was going to wish for the Grail to go away, so I doubt he was behind it. But nobody's getting any answers out of him now."
> What kind of accent does she have?

>It is hard to tell what kind of accent she has. Her English is very good, but her accent is foreign. You are pretty sure it's not from any place that natively speaks English.
>"What does that guy have to do with any of this?" she says. "...Wait a moment, you're saying he was a part of this?"

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #507 on: November 06, 2017, 05:06:14 AM »
> "He was Rider's master! He was the first one to try to kill me. We won that fight, but Assassin got to Koch before we did."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #508 on: November 06, 2017, 05:17:44 AM »
> "He was Rider's master! He was the first one to try to kill me. We won that fight, but Assassin got to Koch before we did."

>"Oh, now that's interesting..." says the older woman, smirking with satisfaction. "I've heard stories that someone's been throwing their weight around behind the scenes here. We always thought it was one of your runaway billionaires or some rogue family that immigrated over generations ago. Or possibly even some little shard of whatever was left of the natives. But putting a name to it, oh that is good, that is good. There are people who would be very interested in that kind of information. I suppose you haven't heard just how much of an aberration this whole little thing is, have you?"
>Her servant continues to look somewhat uncomfortable. You get the feeling he just doesn't want to be here.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #509 on: November 06, 2017, 05:32:00 AM »
That reaction gives me a bad gut feeling. Maybe I shouldn't have told her that.

> "No, but if you're talking, I'm listening."