Author Topic: UEFA EURO 2016, anyone?  (Read 51285 times)

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
UEFA EURO 2016, anyone?
« on: June 10, 2016, 03:40:24 PM »
So who's going to watch this in its entirety, or at least take a quick peek? I'm not sure how popular this tournament is among MoTK's denizens, considering it's less significant than the World Cup and the recent expansion from 16 to 24 teams means many matchups involving so-so teams like Albania, Wales or Poland.

Where I live (Poland), the hype is probably greater than ever, unhealthily so in my opinion. For one thing, after experiencing numerous failures in my short life, I can't trust our national team to achieve anything serious anymore. Our team is pretty strong personally (see Lewandowski or Krychowiak), but they way they play just isn't convincing me. Then again, promoting from the group is going to be easier than ever...

In terms of predictions, Germany aren't looking all that well and Spain has suffered a surprising loss to Georgia lately, so perhaps France is poised to win the entire tournament after all. I can certainly see them making it to the final match. I would also love Iceland to become the major surprise of the event; their qualifier performance was inspiring.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: UEFA EURO 2016, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 03:45:11 PM »
Going to be watching Romania v. France with my boys tonight, but really, the whole thing is a foregone conclusion when it's a matter of scientific fact that Iceland's going all the way this year. Ignore biased BBC analysis - go to betsson and drop your life savings on Iceland now!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 05:13:26 PM »
Maybe if England or Wales do well I might watch later rounds. I have little interest in Football.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Tengukami

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 07:08:20 PM »
Man, Romania has France rattled in the first 5 minutes. Could be fun!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 07:19:24 PM »
Futbol.  :toot:

Watching with my pa. First game is looking good so far.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »
Too bad Romania failed to convert their early chances. I sure have a feeling France will score something eventually, if only thanks to individual quality. Especially Payet is making himself visible tonight. With a Segunda Division striker, Romania really needs more set pieces to have a chance.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tengukami

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 08:51:53 PM »
France for the 2-minute goal! Romania gave them a good game. Good stuff, flags and all.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 09:05:35 PM »
Drat. Giroud's goal was illegal, he fouled the keeper. The match definitely should have been a draw. And Payet alone isn't enough to win the entire tournament.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 09:44:54 PM »
Fuck, we're not in this. Damn it.

But Turkey is. :V

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 06:35:38 PM »
Maybe if England or Wales do well I might watch later rounds. I have little interest in Football.
Wales just beat Slovakia 2:1 after a fine match, so perhaps your hopes will come true! Now to see how early does England get kicked out of the tournament.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 07:04:57 PM »
Wales just beat Slovakia 2:1 after a fine match, so perhaps your hopes will come true! Now to see how early does England get kicked out of the tournament.
RUSSIA SMASH.  :popcorn:

Tengukami

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 08:14:02 PM »
RUSSIA SMASH.  :popcorn:

30 left in the second half and still waiting for either team to wake up.

73 m. Oh, fuck you and your penalty kick, England.

90 m. Russia never really snapped together and rallied. Every time they got possession, it was like they were unsure what to do with the ball. BUT THEN.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:52:54 PM by Tengukami »

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 10:20:40 PM »
30 left in the second half and still waiting for either team to wake up.

73 m. Oh, fuck you and your penalty kick, England.

90 m. Russia never really snapped together and rallied. Every time they got possession, it was like they were unsure what to do with the ball. BUT THEN.

I actually only caught some of the first half and wasn't impressed.

ONWARDS TO GERMANY V. UKRAINE.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 11:55:11 PM »
Going to be watching Romania v. France with my boys tonight, but really, the whole thing is a foregone conclusion when it's a matter of scientific fact that Iceland's going all the way this year. Ignore biased BBC analysis - go to betsson and drop your life savings on Iceland now!

Iceland's plan for recovery from 2008 revealed and diversification from an EVE-based economy revealed.

As someone who knows less than nothing about futbol, does this relate to the World Cup at all?

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 01:08:58 AM »
If I remember correctly the winner of Euro represents UEFA in the Confederations Cup in 2017, which is basically a mini-WC at the host nation. A great tournament to get familiar with your likely opponents and the host country's stadiums, but you still need to qualify.

Mini-hijack: US advances in Copa America after despite the ref doing everything in his power to send off half the team. Fuck him.

On-topic: Saw the Wales game today. A great game and a great moment for that country.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 12:46:58 PM »
My eyes today are firmly fixed on Group C where the world champions have something to prove in their match against troubled Ukraine, but most importantly, my national team will be trying to face all the domestic hype and defeat Northern Ireland. I'm pretty sure international interest in Polish team is the highest in a long while too, if only because of Lewandowski.

Of course, Turkey - Croatia starting in just a minute is nothing to scoff at, either.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:58:30 PM by navpirx »
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 04:20:36 PM »
Turkey's quality is as usual being represented on the field again. Dramatic and rubbish midfield control. Star players nowhere to be found. Only the last 20 minutes interesting things started happening after some swaps. Also Arda, who is suppose to be good because he is playing at Barcelona, was nowhere to be found. Sadly we're not a good football playing country.

And our next match is with Spain. I don't think we'll survive the pool lol.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
Yes, they did it. The FIRST EVER Polish victory in an European Championship match. Mediocre offense (with the exception of brilliant Kapustka), shaky defense at times, but total midfield control was enough to give us the win. Promotion is real close now.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 07:49:51 PM »
Yes, they did it. The FIRST EVER Polish victory in an European Championship match. Mediocre offense (with the exception of brilliant Kapustka), shaky defense at times, but total midfield control was enough to give us the win. Promotion is real close now.
I liked both Poland and N. Ireland in that game, so yay for everyone.

Germany vs. Ukraine is proving to be exciting, Germany being lucky to have survived the first half with a clean net.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »
I liked both Poland and N. Ireland in that game, so yay for everyone.

Germany vs. Ukraine is proving to be exciting, Germany being lucky to have survived the first half with a clean net.
Really? Judging by online comments, most Polish fans didn't like Northern Ireland very much. People were quick to point out their tactics largely consisted of defending and playing a long ball towards Lafferty.

I honestly expected a draw in today's last match, but Ukraine completely lost their momentum in the second half. A deserved victory for Germany. Ukraine might actually be within Poland's reach.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tengukami

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 07:43:56 PM »
42' HOLY SHIT BELGIUM. Pass to the ones with shirts like yours. Jesus.

fsvgm777

• One of the only Touhou fans from Luxembourg... I guess.
  • Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »
Really feels like Belgium's defense is weaker when (at least) compared to the 2014 World Cup. Even on the last few friendlies before the Euro, it was pretty weak.

..of course, there's still the second half to come.

Tengukami

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 08:15:51 PM »
57' Belgium waking up it seems. A lot of nice breaks, they might level it up.

78' The Italians are starting to annoy me with their endless tactical bookings.

90' Belgium is allergic to the box. They beat their heads against the wall over and over, stuck in some German Ball holding pattern. Of course the Italians clipping them helped, but Belgium never got their shit together. Italy swarmed them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:50:37 PM by Tengukami »

fsvgm777

• One of the only Touhou fans from Luxembourg... I guess.
  • Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 08:52:37 PM »
Belgium 0-2 Italy.

...Welp, that doesn't quite bode well for Belgium (especially with such a shoddy defense).

If only they were actually able to score... Oh well, congrats to Italy on winning the match.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »
That second half was actually terribly shaky by Italy, some simple mistakes that would have resulted in deadly counterattacks if it wasn't for Italy's tactical fouls. The one that actually came through ended with Lukaku missing a relatively easy chance. No idea how did Italy manage to keep a clean sheet... Then again, when only 2 out of your 18 attempts are on target (as was Belgium's case), you can't hope for much.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tengukami

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 06:26:43 PM »
And now, we will see if Iceland is defeated brutally or mercifully.

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »
I don't know Ammy, after seeing Hungary beat Austria pretty handedly last match, along with Portugal never seeming to meet the hype outside of Ronaldo, I honestly wouldn't be too shocked if Iceland got a result out of this.

I think ESPN's little pre-match monologue put it nicely: "Today: a match filled with expectations. The hope of a country with nothing to lose, and the burden of one man with everything to lose."

1CC List (all shmups)

Tengukami

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »
31' Well. Portugal is playing great technical ball, squeezing Iceland into downfield. Iceland has a good goalie, but Portugal is taking a lot of shots on them. However, they're a bit sloppy, and I think Iceland could take advantage of a mistake to even it up. We'll see. All I know is our official announcer is the most optimistic man in the world.

50' LEVEL UP!

90+' Hahaha eat it Ronaldo! Jesus that was stressful, but fun. I think Iceland got their second wind in attempts, but only just so. It was their defense that saved the day for them. Portugal were no slouches themselves. I'm very curious to see what unfolds going forward.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:56:15 PM by Tengukami »

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2016, 08:14:45 PM »
First major tournament goal in Iceland's history holy shit. Once again Portugal's other 10 make a crucial mistake against the run of play. For those not watching, a defender left his mark wide open in the box; the guy volleyed a cross with his foot with 0 problem.

The next 30+ mins are going to be fun.

1CC List (all shmups)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2016, 08:51:52 PM »
GG WP Iceland. They almost scored a second one too but a 1-1 is pretty good.

People shouldn't underestimate Iceland imo.