Author Topic: StB English Patch Part 2: ~Electric Boogaloo~  (Read 25817 times)

drywall

• yare yare daze
StB English Patch Part 2: ~Electric Boogaloo~
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:50:15 PM »
Guess I'll just pick up where I left off...

Today I was able to package everything into a single exe, which means I finally have a patch that I can distribute.  The release will not be far off, but there are still a few things to do, namely:

* Getting some preliminary installation/robustness testing done
* Going over the game's text for typos, grammatical issues, etc
* Securing some hosting, hopefully through gensokyo.org
* Making the exe smaller (currently at about 5 mb w/compression, I think it could be whittled down a tad more)
* Making the external datpacker into a python module so it can be better integrated into the install process

I thank those of you who have been patient so far, and ask you to wait just a little bit longer.

Also, once I have the patch released, I plan on making the all the source code available as well (ideally on the wiki).  I know there was a thread about creating translation patches in non-English languages, so this would include the .txt script files and translated .png files as well.  Ideally all you would have to do is translate these files and reassemble the patch  (instructions will be included) and you'd be good to go.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: StB English Patch Part 2: ~Electric Boogaloo~
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 08:53:55 PM »
Eh heh, sorry for making a thread before you.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:57:24 PM »
Eh heh, sorry for making a thread before you.

Don't sweat it, but man that timing was uncanny

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:05:02 AM »
drywall, thanks so much for making this patch!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:42:17 AM »
Of all things to see referenced o.o

Anyway, huzzah!  8D Looks like my laptop got fixed just in time, so I'll be looking forward to it :3 Again, I'd help in any way I could.  If I could, that is.  I tend to be utterly useless however.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:38:38 PM »
StB's getting translated? sweeeeeet

just SWR and PoFV to go and we're all set

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:42:34 PM »
and LLS and MS.

SoEW and PoDD can go die in a pit for all I care (after I beat SoEW extra)

HRtP is mostly in english, it's just the endings that need translation.

Gpop

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 09:48:42 PM »
I'm really looking forward to the patch, regardless if I feel that it's not really needed.

You still have my support though.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 09:48:52 PM »
and LLS and MS.

SoEW and PoDD can go die in a pit for all I care (after I beat SoEW extra)

HRtP is mostly in english, it's just the endings that need translation.
wouldn't the PC-98 games be a pain in the ass to make translation patches for? hell, maybe even impossible to make patches for?

also, on an unrelated note, wb Gpop

nintendonut888

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 10:42:52 PM »
Alice seems to have expressed interest in patching LLS and MS actually.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 10:45:45 AM »
Awesome. I really look forward to it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 11:40:34 PM »
Hey just a quick update, I've distributed an initial release of the patch to a couple friends for some initial testing.  My friend who is running on Windows XP got it working on his first try which was awesome.  However my friend running Vista has reported some problems.  I've since given him a slightly modified version, and hes gotten it to work but I'm still a bit skeptical.  Luckily though, it seems the Vista problems are related not to the actual patching code, but certain other dependencies that the code uses.  In the meantime, I'm going to be looking into getting some hosting on gensokyo.org.

Koikon

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 09:59:14 AM »
I've made an account just to thank you for doing this, Drywall!!!!
Thank you.

Also, About the Vista issue: Shouldn't your friend who runs Vista be able to run the un-modified version of the patch by changing compatability to Windows XP? (Or Win 98/ME?)

Gpop

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »
Tell your friend to run it as administrator. That could be the problem.

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 01:31:19 PM »
Tell your friend to run it as administrator. That could be the problem.

That might help resolve one issue, he was getting a permission error when the patch tried to overwrite a previous patched exe.  Deleting the old files manually solved this problem but this sounds like it would work too. 

Also, About the Vista issue: Shouldn't your friend who runs Vista be able to run the un-modified version of the patch by changing compatability to Windows XP? (Or Win 98/ME?)

And I didn't even know you could do that in Vista.  Maybe this would solve the other problem, which is some bizarre tkinter problem (a python module for making GUIs) that was the result of some file I/O that wasn't really necessary to the actual patching so I just took it out.  I now have 2 people on Vista testing for me, so I'll let both of them know, thanks.

Sax

• TnS owner
  • Preying on those who seek the cross...
    • Touhou no Sekai
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 03:44:59 PM »
Hey there, once you're finished, count on me for promotion among the Spanish speakers ;)

Good Job so far!
Whoa, Sax, where did you get that beautiful signature?

Gpop

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »
That might help resolve one issue, he was getting a permission error when the patch tried to overwrite a previous patched exe.  Deleting the old files manually solved this problem but this sounds like it would work too. 

It's some crappy security thing Microsoft implemented for Vista. When you try to edit anything in any folder located within Program Files, it'll save the files somewhere else in the computer, so it won't affect the computer itself if whatever you installed/saved contained a virus. It's for safety measures, but it's stupid really =/.

Koikon

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 08:19:01 PM »
It's some crappy security thing Microsoft implemented for Vista. When you try to edit anything in any folder located within Program Files, it'll save the files somewhere else in the computer, so it won't affect the computer itself if whatever you installed/saved contained a virus. It's for safety measures, but it's stupid really =/.

Than moving the said files out of the program files folder should resolve the problem, no?

Gpop

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 08:34:34 PM »
Than moving the said files out of the program files folder should resolve the problem, no?

Yes and no. It'll solve the StB english patch installation, but if you try to to edit something again, it will move them back to the folders.

Playing it in Administrator Mode (Under Compatibility tab after right-clicking and selecting properties) will prevent and stop this.

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 10:16:12 PM »
I've tried some of the Vista suggestions, and while they've probably helped, they haven't resolved all of the Vista problems I've been seeing.  However, I have been able to at lease isolate the problems, and luckily it's nothing related to the actual patching code.  I was able to get a patched version of StB up and running Vista by sort of sidestepping the issues, but I'll need to figure out a real solution before I can put out a release (in other words I don't want to release a separate version with Vista support).  Speaking of releases, I tried to get into contact with someone from gensokyo.org but I haven't heard back in like a week.  So what I'll probably do is use mediafire or something to get it out there at first and maybe word will get around and something better will come up.  In the meantime, if anyone reading this has an in with gensokyo.org or the touhou wikia and can get the word out that this project needs hosting I'd really appreciate it.

Koikon

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 04:00:29 AM »
I wish I could help.... but I don't know anyone on the THWiki, or Gensokyo.org, so I'm kinda useless.....
Maybe someone in doujinstyle has some contacts? Shall I ask?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:19:58 AM by Koikon »

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 05:55:04 AM »
You could post the patch on Pooshlmer's image board. Post a link there and ask if they could host it on the wiki. The admins and mods there are directly associated with the Touhou wiki:

http://www.pooshlmer.com/wakaba/

Also, if they aren't responding, have you tried posting directly on gensokyo.org's forum?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:59:01 AM by grgspunk »

Winane

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 06:53:59 AM »
Wikia doesn't allow uploading executable or archive files.  You could probably get around that by, say, adding ".rpy" at the end of the file name before uploading the patch, and instructing the user to remove the fake file extension after downloading.  But doing that would probably still put the file at risk of being deleted eventually by Wikia staff, and would be rather inconvenient anyway.  So, better to just use MediaFire, Gensokyo.org, or whatever else.  (In case you're wondering, the files with forbidden file extensions currently hosted on the Touhou Wiki are there because they were uploaded prior to the wiki's move to Wikia.)

LiteYear

• Touhou Fangame Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 09:59:36 AM »
It seems that Wikia allows you to link to a site that provides the direct download, so it looks like uploading it to MediaFire and adding the link to the download page in the Wiki will work while you try to find a more permanent hosting solution (although MediaFire isn't bad, especially for a free host)

Also, it looks like anyone can make edits to the wiki, even if they don't have an account.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:16:03 AM by LiteYear »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »
Any news?  Has been a few days but I haven't heard a word...

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 02:42:14 AM »
Been busy with finals, but I beleive I've resolved the major Vista issues (its still important to run as admin to run as smoothly as possible) so   that means it's go time.  I tried once more to contact someone on these boards about gensokyo.org but I haven't heard back yet.  In any case expect a release tomorrow through mediafire or whatever.  I'll make a new thread about it later but right now I'm exhausted.  Thanks for the concern.

nintendonut888

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 02:43:26 AM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Why does my computer pick NOW of all times to decide it wants to kick the bucket?  :'(

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 04:13:09 AM »
Pooshlmer's image board

The admins and mods there

AHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHohgod
What imageboard have you been visiting lately?

In other news, it's awesome to see that this topic is still goin'.
On the subject of StB, I just cleared 9-1 last night while taking a short break from grinding MS normal. Hooray!

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 06:36:40 AM »
Great to see that this is about to be released, even if it is a little late for me. Heh.
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 09:19:53 AM »
Yay, now I can know the names of the cards that are kicking my ass.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.