Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 4, Part 4  (Read 71251 times)

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 4, Part 4
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2016, 11:04:38 AM »
>Laugh
>"I'm afraid the salary for 'Saving the World' is still a little low for that."
>Assuming nothing else of consequence happens, let's finish up and get ready to head out to the CRA

>Dear Rin still seems to ponder the matter for a moment, her tails swishing unconsciously, before muttering something that sounds like 'Worry about that later' in Eire. She does take some things very seriously sometimes, especially when it comes to you.
>Ten minutes later, you and Rin are both decked out in sensible winter-warding clothing and ready to brave the elements once more.

« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2016, 06:32:06 AM »
>Well, let's get going!

« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2016, 03:02:21 PM »
>Well, let's get going!

>The stiff breath of winter greets you as Rin opens the door for you. Another mightily cold day. It isn't snowing yet, though, but the feel of the wind more than compensates for that. Hyozan and Letty don't seem to mind it, as usual, as the yuki-onna and her dog stand outside on the balcony looking towards the high school down the road. From here you can see the heavy trucks parked outside the school and the people working on the scaffolding repairing the hole in the wall from Keine's rampage. School will most likely be back in session by Monday, if not sooner. But it won't be tomorrow, at least, according to your neighbor. There'd have been an announcement about that, and there hasn't been, she tells you. Some good news there, and after Rin and Hyozan exchange a greeting, you and your kasha take your leave of Letty.
>Since there doesn't appear to be any special hurry today, you and Rin opt to take the bus to the CRA rather than brave the frigid headwind. You make a note that you may need to refresh your supply of cash before too much longer. Been a while since you've replenished that particular supply.

>The bus is fairly crowded when you and Rin embark, which is unsurprising for a Friday. You and Rin are forced to stand, which you really don't mind, though the unshaven man standing in front of you has a fairly different opinion and doesn't seem to be overly shy about sharing it. At least until a rather grizzled older gentleman politely, yet pointedly, tells him to belt it, which you can't help but not draws more than one smile from other commuters.
>The woman standing behind you is a much better source of conversation. It's a red-haired, red-winged classmate of yours, who actually didn't recognize you until her sizable wings accidentally brush across your face. Lily has much softer wings, you note to yourself. After she apologizes to you, Reisen's voice to comes into your mind, Byakuren?

« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2016, 07:36:52 PM »
>Yes?

« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2016, 05:33:11 PM »
>Yes?

>Will you be needing me in the next few hours?

« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2016, 09:00:53 PM »
>Barring an emergency, I don't expect to.

« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2016, 09:14:15 PM »
>Barring an emergency, I don't expect to.

>In that case, I'll head over to the Fire Bird shrine. I want to make sure the Champions weren't involved in that attack.

« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2016, 09:23:36 PM »
>Attack? What attack?

« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2016, 09:30:44 PM »
>Attack? What attack?

>You haven't heard? It's been on the radio for the past couple hours.

« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2016, 09:40:01 PM »
>I hadn't, no. What happened?

« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2016, 09:58:31 PM »
>I hadn't, no. What happened?

>The was an incident at the Fire Bird shrine this morning. The news reports claimed that a rogue dementia caster went berserk there and attacked some of the mikos. And if that's all it was, then that's okay, that happens with dementiaists. But with everything that's happened, I wanted to make sure there wasn't another force involved.

« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2016, 10:02:59 PM »
>Did the news say anything about injuries?

« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2016, 09:38:34 AM »
>Did the news say anything about injuries?

>Three people were reported injured in the attack. Four people if you count the dementiast himself. The news reported that the temple head, Youmu Konpaku, gave him the business.

« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2016, 07:03:54 PM »
>I should ask Kiku if she knows anything.
>Gently reach out to Kiku: Kiku?

« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2016, 12:16:40 AM »
>I should ask Kiku if she knows anything.
>Gently reach out to Kiku: Kiku?

>I'd be surprised if she didn't.
>I am here. the tiger youkai's voice replies.

« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2016, 02:23:48 AM »
>I just heard about the attack at the Fire Bird shrine that was on the news. Do you know anything more about it than was included in the public statement - particular anything that might tie it to one of the larger threats afoot?

« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2016, 02:38:37 AM »
>I just heard about the attack at the Fire Bird shrine that was on the news. Do you know anything more about it than was included in the public statement - particular anything that might tie it to one of the larger threats afoot?

>Haruka did mention that the man was no ordinary dementia caster. His power was augmented by power of another kind, one she wasn't entirely familiar with. It is possible that the man was a servant of the Champions, wielding the same kind of power that woman you defeated at the CRA did, but I can't say that for certain at this point. I had planned to investigate the possibility personally once my business here is finished.

« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2016, 02:42:14 AM »
>Reisen also said she was planning to scout around there for signs of the Champions' power; I was already on my way to the CRA before I heard the news.

« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2016, 03:30:14 AM »
>Reisen also said she was planning to scout around there for signs of the Champions' power; I was already on my way to the CRA before I heard the news.

>If the Champions were involved, it certainly wasn't as dangerous as some of their other outings. Nor does it seem to have the same purpose as their other attacks. From what I've been told, this was a dementia incident like any other, at least in terms of its form. Such things are hardly unheard of.

« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2016, 03:32:54 AM »
>Yes, hopefully that's all it is. Recent events have just made me a little wary, that's all.
>Relay this information to Reisen.

« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2016, 06:54:03 PM »
>Yes, hopefully that's all it is. Recent events have just made me a little wary, that's all.
>Relay this information to Reisen.

>Justifyably so.
>After you pass on the info to the rabbit, she replies, We all seem to be on the same page here. You feel a sense of expanded communication as Reisen opens her mind to speak to you and Kiku both. Kiku, this is Reisen. There hasn't been any more dementiaist sightings in the area since the attack, has there?
>Not to my knowledge. And my sisters would know one. Would you?
>Yeah. I probably know more about dementia casters than the next guy; I know one when I see one. This is the first time I've heard of one causing real trouble here in Mayoiga here in a few years.
>How did you come by that knowledge? Kiku asks archly.
>I spent a lot of years in Vegas, some of them working for a Pit boss. The rabbit chuckles quietly, a sound more releived than amused. There's one bit of luck to this whole event, Byakuren. We could've been living there instead.

« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2016, 07:09:35 PM »
>Does that place have so unseemly a reputation, or something?

« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2016, 08:14:08 PM »
>Does that place have so unseemly a reputation, or something?

>Among the general public, the city of New Vegas, usually abbreviated as simply Vegas, is regarded as a city with two faces. On the one hand, it's one of the most popular cities in the world, full of theaters, amusement parks, hotels. But when the sun goes down the seamy underbelly of the city comes to life. Vegas is regarded as a natural gathering point for all manner of immorality, scum, crime and other unwholesome activities that most of the rest of the 'civilized' world sternly disapproves of.
>Ironically, Marissa quite likes the city. Her father's power is somewhat limited there compared to the rest of Eagleland. If she ever goes back to her home country, you wouldn't be surprised to see her take up residence there.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:19:05 PM by Oldmansour »

« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2016, 08:42:07 PM »
>I'm just as happy we're not, thank you very much.

« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2016, 08:46:39 PM »
>I'm just as happy we're not, thank you very much.

>Amen to that. That's one city I'm in no hurry to visit again. Food was good, though.
>I should ask, Byakuren, while we talking about them. You've never met or dealt with a dementia caster before, have you?

« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2016, 08:57:27 PM »
>We've never actually met any before that we know of, right?
>Assuming so: Not that I'm aware of.

« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2016, 09:10:25 PM »
>We've never actually met any before that we know of, right?
>Assuming so: Not that I'm aware of.

>Correct.
>They're a distinctive bunch. The magic they practice does any number of terrible things to a person's mind and emotions. They all tend to be unstable, often violently so. If you ever end up dealing with one, don't expect them to react the way a completely sane person would. They're unpredictable, and very dangerous.

« Reply #177 on: May 19, 2016, 09:19:48 PM »
>I might almost be getting used to that, somehow.

« Reply #178 on: May 19, 2016, 09:44:51 PM »
>I might almost be getting used to that, somehow.

>I suppose so at that. Well, I suppose we can talk more about that if and when we have to fight one ourselves.
>You mentioned the CRA. Kiku asks you. Are you also responding to some disturbance?

« Reply #179 on: May 19, 2016, 09:54:24 PM »
>I promised Haruka the other night that I would investigate the remains of the devouring tar to make sure there were no further signs of activity from it, or in the vicinity. But also, I wanted to take a look at Koishi, like Satori asked.