Author Topic: Anime Suggestions for a newcomer ?  (Read 27042 times)

Dahel

• Preparing myself for an incoming failure...
Re: Anime Suggestions for a newcomer ?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 07:09:08 PM »
On the subject of magical girls, the Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha movies are also a good pick IMO, removing the clich? parts from the series and filling the blank parts with more friendship, Nanoha style.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:15:01 PM by Dahel »
Soon

Monarda

• Tactician that has a soft spot for cuteness.
  • Art by Amibazh
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 09:31:07 PM »
I actually have never seen ANY Magical Girl stuff. It didn`t reach me somehow, explains why i people mention Sailor Moon and i`m like "Huh, Okay."
Also your nickname sounds like "The hell?" (Honesty Passive kicks in.)

Dahel

• Preparing myself for an incoming failure...
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 11:49:51 PM »
I actually have never seen ANY Magical Girl stuff. It didn`t reach me somehow, explains why i people mention Sailor Moon and i`m like "Huh, Okay."
Nanoha was supposed to be closer to a more standard magical girl anime (which is why the first few episodes have a lot of magical girl tropes) but turned out to be  closer to a shonen, where the staff of love and friendship is closer to mecha weaponry.
That's the main reason I recommend watching the two movies: while on the outside it may look like a magical girl, it's definitely a shounen, just with little girls fighting.

I Also your nickname sounds like "The hell?" (Honesty Passive kicks in.)
I can't count the number of times i've used it for lame puns.
Soon

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 03:34:52 AM »
Dog Days is a hella cute anime about a young boy who gets whisked into a magical anime land with catgirls and doggirls in seperate warring kingdoms, except they fight battles in these giant obstacle courses and combat is explicitly nonviolent (minor characters get turned into animal blobs when defeated, major characters take clothing damage).

I guess there's no real mystery and there's a fair bit of fanservice (and really plays up 'cute' far harder then 'lewd'), but the plot is really fantastic (at least the first season) and made me tear up pretty hard at the end. Also it's hella cute.

----
If you're new to watching anime and wondering what to look at, I recommend you play by the Con Style rule. Watch four episodes back to back, and use that to decide if you want to watch something more. Some animes will hook you right in if they're good enough.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 03:40:32 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

RuneDevros

• Professor Dr. Momoneko-sama
    • Lost Sky Project
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 05:25:04 AM »
ARIA is about rowing gondolas on Mars which has been terraformed into a water planet and they planted Venice, Italy on it. Every episode you watch leaves you with a warm feeling in your heart, and over the course of three seasons you watch your characters grow from apprentices to fully fledged Undines.

1.0.0 is here (2/13/14) |  My Twitter | My Tumblr

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 03:00:39 PM »
Atleast watch Mahou Shoujo Madoka for us.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »
I have a small notepad here of animes to watch, and i need to get to date with Sword Quest and play PAD, i can't do all this efficiently. But i'll try.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 04:26:58 PM »
I think he wants cute anime, not soul-crushing anime.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »
I think he wants cute anime, not soul-crushing anime.

Madoka is ultimately uplifting. Also don't spoil Madoka.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Drake

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 12:45:41 AM »
While I think Madoka is excellent regardless of how long you've been watching anime,
Spoiler:
the deconstruction of magical girl shows as a genre and the general tendency to rip up your expectations from the ground kind of expects from the watcher some level of experience with the genre beforehand so you have this context of expectations rather than going into the show completely neutral. While it does its best in the first 2.98 episodes to give the impressions of a standard cutesy magical girl show anyways and how the series goes on pretty much wrecks everyone without exception
, I do think something is kind of lost when suggesting Madoka as a sort of entry-level anime, because I would argue it isn't really.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 12:58:49 AM »
That's certainly a good point, but in my mind it's a bit of a tossup between not having full context to appreciate it and having the best odds of not getting it spoiled.
Spoiler:
And if it makes a difference I had never seen a magical girl anime before I watched it (or since, for that matter) and I feel like I basically got what it was going for. I think the tone of the show sets you up for the same expectations you might have from seeing other magical girl shows regardless of your anime experience.

Not that being spoiled would completely ruin it or anything, I'm sure it's still totally watchable if you don't know all of the key moments ahead of time since it's still great in every other way aside from just surprise value. But seeing it fresh is a rare opportunity at this point so I can't help but encourage people to take advantage of that if they have it.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2016, 02:00:40 AM »
Well this is complicated, so i gotta really ponder how to order this amount of Anime. So sit tight, commander and CO.
*Sees Drake as nickname*
Ohhh no ! He has chased me from Advance Wars 2 ! Not the Typhoon !

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »
Pretty much anything by Makoto Shinkai.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:33:52 PM by CF7 »
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2016, 03:05:08 PM »
Watching Hyouka now, it is really nice, i love the mystery, it's easy enough to comprehend and make your own plausible theories and at the same time hard enough to make the gears in your head roll.
Approved !

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2016, 10:48:26 AM »
Nice, Hyouka is pretty much the most beautiful labour of love anime anybody will see for a long time to come.

Oh, and myriad colours phantom world isnt a kyoani show btw, dont trust the anime database sites cause they lie
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2016, 03:49:33 PM »
I would recommend you Spice and Wolf, but considering Season 3 never came, you might get disappointed a bit. So unless you read Light Novels, I suggest you to steer away or just watch Season 1.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2016, 12:41:16 AM »
How about Hibike! Euphonium? I finished watching it 5 days ago and I loved it.

And about a cute anime, how about K-On?

Both are scholar animes and they are pretty good. :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:43:01 AM by KogasaxNue »
Mwahahahahha!

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2016, 03:32:09 AM »
The fact that it took this long to suggest Card Captor Sakura is saddening.

The fairy speaks truth.

All this talk of magical girl series and little mention of one of the least soul-crushing series in the genre. An all-time favorite of mine.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »
Oh, and myriad colours phantom world isnt a kyoani show btw, dont trust the anime database sites cause they lie
Dunno about you, but for me it's totally KyoAni stuff.

And speaking of cute magical girls.

Also, this, this (be prepared, though), this, this, this, this, this and this.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:33:42 PM by 'ω' »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2016, 02:33:10 PM »
Such anime. Much Mahou Shoujo
And thanks guys, this should help not only me, but anyone new to anime, now i must organize this big-ass list.

Edit: Yes, i came back here just to edit a wrong letter, trust me, it ain't OCD.... is it ?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:05:04 PM by Starlighthawk »

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2016, 08:17:54 PM »
I mean, these suggestions only fit your specific criteria. There are much, much better animes out there, but generally aren't much in the way of 'cute'

Ie cowboy beebop, trigun, gurren lagann,, ghost un the shell sac, etc.

Not really episodic anime but the Miyazaki fulms are pretty great (understatment) and theeyre cute too, in the 'childlike wonder' sort of way
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:36:54 PM by NekoNekoRex »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2016, 09:56:09 PM »
Not really episodic anime but the Miyazaki fulms are pretty great (understatment) and theeyre cute too, in the 'childlike wonder' sort of way
I totally recced him Kiki's Delivery Service.  :colbert:

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 12:49:52 AM »
I mean, these suggestions only fit your specific criteria. There are much, much better animes out there, but generally aren't much in the way of cute.
Well, it's kinda like it makes me feel more comfortable in watching it, maybe it's something psychological of me.
I can tolerate lewdness, but it leaves me feeling a bit odd, i don't know how to describe it, guess that's also a product of my shy and rather innocent (Not totally of course, but way more innocent than a regular 16 year person here). So i'll try to broaden the amount of stuff i will watch, work in sweating less mentally when among new people and try to get a new GF. (Okay i don't think i needed to mention this :/)

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2016, 02:06:58 PM »
I mean, these suggestions only fit your specific criteria. There are much, much better animes out there, but generally aren't much in the way of 'cute'

Ie cowboy beebop, trigun, gurren lagann,, ghost un the shell sac, etc.
Also Lain. But that might be a little bit too much for a newcomer (discarding the fact, that it was one of the first anime i watched. And it was on VHS cassettes at that time even. :3).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:10:52 PM by CF7 »
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2016, 11:32:33 PM »
Also Lain. But that might be a little bit too much for a newcomer (discarding the fact, that it was one of the first anime i watched. And it was on VHS cassettes at that time even. :3).
As impressed that I am that that was your first, 'little bit too much for a newcomer' could hardly be more of an understatement. Personally I consider it more 'Japanese animation' than anime, similar to how I consider the Studio Ghibli films. Kind of a silly, redundant classification but w/e.
As groan worthy as it might be, Sword Art Online is a pretty good entry level anime if it's your cup of tea. It's easy to like and it's popular. I jumped the bandwagon on hating on it for a few years until I rewatched the (first half of the) first season and actually liked it.
The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya really hooked me and is probably one of the animes that really got me into the whole genre. Just make sure you watch the episodes in chronological, and not broadcast, order, just look it up.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »
I'm leaving a update here:

I first watched Hyouga, cause mystery, and i really enjoyed it ! It left me both intrigued and happy.
Now i decided to try Nichijou...... and i'm not disappointed, this makes me laugh SO MUCH i wish i had found this before ! XD

Again, thanks to everyone that gave me all these suggestions, i am eternally grateful ! (Also now i know why helvetica is named that. :D)

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »
Why have none of you guys suggested Baccano! for this poor soul? Y'all should be ashamed.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2016, 10:52:12 PM »
Now i decided to try Nichijou...... and i'm not disappointed, this makes me laugh SO MUCH i wish i had found this before ! XD

My second favorite anime of all time.

Also, I second Baccano!.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2016, 12:24:58 AM »
Nichijou is one of those shows (along with Kill La Kill) where once every few weeks I drop what I'm doing and  just suddenly remember "Oh shit, Nichijou exists! That show is great!" and then I reminisce about my favorite bits and it improves my day. Watching Nichijou just makes your life a little better overall. It's magical.

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2016, 01:26:01 AM »
If you have half an hour to kill, go watch all the 2min episodes of plastic neesan. That show is just insane