Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 98512 times)

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #360 on: August 04, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »
Oh man, I just realised with private rooms and the ability to choose which team and map you're on this means possible Splatoon tournaments in the future  :getdown:

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #361 on: August 05, 2015, 01:58:22 AM »
Up to rank B-!

I'm guessing I'll be here for a lot longer than I was in previous ranks, which probably goes without saying.  :V
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #362 on: August 05, 2015, 02:34:30 AM »
I've just been sitting here getting my rank knocked down and down.
I'm B right now.

On the bright side, Commander you're catching up to me~ :V

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #363 on: August 05, 2015, 05:18:12 PM »
Patch notes ahoy! With the Ver. 2.0.0 update set to happen tonight/tomorrow morning (depending on where you live), we now have a good idea of what's going to be changed. Some highlights:

- The big one is of course private lobbies, both for Ranked battles and matches with "custom" rules that you and your friends can set up. There's also the ability to join with friends' friends, which is nice.
- The level cap is now 50, and you can now reach ranks S and S+ in Ranked battles. The latter seems to be solo queue only, not with private lobbies, but once you reach S and S+, matches in private lobbies won't decrease your rank, which may help for farming gold, assuming you still get gold there anyway. The amount of points you get for winning and losing ranked battles is also gonna be adjusted apparently.
- The multiplier for Splatfest victory percentages is now x4, up from x2, meaning that popularity won't affect the overall results as much as before.
- Several maps are getting design changes, mostly in Ranked modes. Urchin Underpass' changes were teased a while ago, but now we have a full view of the new version of the map. Very drastic changes indeed.
- New music and gear are included, and several subs and specials are getting tweaks, perhaps most notably the Inkzooka taking longer to charge (though not by a whole lot).

Very interesting stuff here, but I want to talk about the Urchin changes in particular. I don't think I ever really viewed the original's choke points as being much of a problem. I mean, I could tell they were effective, but I didn't necessarily think they were unbeatable or anything. But given how much some other people were complaining about it, I guess I'm not surprised this happened. Not to look down on the changes, however. I actually think some of these updates were pretty clever. The main choke point was widened, naturally, but to compensate they also raised a part of the walkways in the back to act like a sniper perch (one you can't climb back up if you're forced off btw). Although we have a greater view of mid overall, the actual mid area is now less susceptible to things like Inkzookas snipers just wrecking you from the other side of the trench, what with the replanted trees and raised barricades acting as cover (at least I think the trees block shots, correct me if I'm wrong). Basically, the center now looks like an area that can actually be "held down" properly. The side paths to the left of the choke points were also changed a lot. There's now a second perch around the back corner of mid, giving players another option to flank the opposing team. The perches from the previous version were moved more to the side of the map to accommodate mid being widened, and they're now "centered" on the trench instead of being slightly to one team's side. Notably, glass now covers the entirety of these center perches, meaning you basically can't camp them with chargers anymore. Lots to take in, but I think these are some good improvements, and I'm really looking forward to trying this map out. I wonder if they'll put it in the rotation for Turf Wars right away like they did the other maps when they were released.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:20:11 PM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #364 on: August 05, 2015, 11:37:53 PM »
I like the new changes a lot. The reason people complained about chokepoints in the old version was because those chokepoints were the only places you could hold off the enemy force without getting backsplatted or triple teamed. Every skirmish in Zones and a good majority of the ones in Turf War took the battle to the further corner of the middle map where you could keep check of the two important chokepoints of the map (The third one was absolutely useless because it left anyone leaving vulnerable for too long, having to jump down into a full area of enemy ink, and it was impossible to even use if the enemy had a decent sniper.)

In fact the biggest problem was that a sniper standing on the furtherest of their own chokepoint was in perfect vantage to keep the other team's entire set of chokepoints on lockdown. That added to the fact that they could take two steps back and refill whenever they want/need made them almost impossible to counter effectively

pasu

« Reply #365 on: August 06, 2015, 12:43:38 AM »
Unrelated to the update but Tokyo Active Neets did a fantastic cover of the battle theme  :getdown: :getdown: :getdown: and if you dont know who tokyo active neets are you need to go home brush up on your touhou music arrange circles

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #366 on: August 06, 2015, 12:45:51 AM »
Squid Girl outfit confirmed for America! USA! USA! USA! USA!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #367 on: August 06, 2015, 01:04:14 AM »
Gameplay buffs are neat and all, but let's hear about the new clothing! What do we get? I want a labcoat above all else, is there a labcoat? Other major wants are cartoon nerd glasses (with the spiral lenses), a ten-gallon hat, and different colors of button-ups.

pasu

« Reply #368 on: August 06, 2015, 01:18:39 AM »
Gameplay buffs are neat and all, but let's hear about the new clothing! What do we get? I want a labcoat above all else, is there a labcoat? Other major wants are cartoon nerd glasses (with the spiral lenses), a ten-gallon hat, and different colors of button-ups.

WOW A LEATHER JACKET and some new shades

edit: Looks like the ika musume outfit is simply in the shops
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 01:27:38 AM by pasu »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #369 on: August 06, 2015, 02:02:51 AM »
Not sure if leather jacket is lolbad or not.

Glasses look cool, don't like them quite as munch as Tinted Shades but they can barely have a worse ability, so probably good.

Edit: Update live in NA. Probably has been for an hour or more, I just noticed.

Tried the Slosher in Turf Wars a few times. I like the weapon itself, it's a very nice middle ground of power, range, and coverage held back by a high ink cost and trashy subs.

Haven't played the gatling gun yet, but it's seemed hard to use in the handful of games I played against it. I didn't get a great impression of how good it is because people seemed to be getting too close with it and I think it's supposed to be played more like a Charger.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:54:58 AM by commanderool »

pasu

« Reply #370 on: August 06, 2015, 02:54:41 AM »
I am here to complain I can't get into the servers

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #371 on: August 06, 2015, 06:53:58 AM »
Received the update this morning while sipping my morning tea. Before work I had to check the new weapons. You know, I totally didn't expected the Splattling to work like this. With my morning drowsiness I held down the trigger, thing spinned and charged but didn't shoot. Didn't understand while blinking in confusion. Only when releasing the trigger it fired. The thing is out of control lol. I think for balancing reasons but time will tell how the Japanese will discover its strength.

Bucket doesn't 1-shot. Damage output is 72 or so vs regular targets, no matter what angle you use. I was afraid it might be stronger than the blaster because of the splash radius but it wasn't.

Regarding abilities, haven't checked all the changes yet but I did ditch Tenacity yesterday in a few ranked games. Went for Fake Contacts (Special charge) - Shirt (Cold Blooded) - Shoes (Special Saver). Still saving my snails for upcoming splatfest (14 of them) so I can get another batch of 20 and do reroll-fest.

« Reply #372 on: August 06, 2015, 07:24:05 AM »
if you can't log on after updating, reseting your WiiU fixes it.

also just came in to say I love the new music.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:28:18 AM by WHMZakeri »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #373 on: August 06, 2015, 07:32:12 AM »
Oh god, I just seen the American commercial for Splatoon for the first time.

I cringed.

Multiple times.

Just why?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #374 on: August 06, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »
Oh god, I just seen the American commercial for Splatoon for the first time.

I cringed.

Multiple times.

Just why?
You're a kid
You're a squid
You're a kid
You're a squid
You're a kid
You're a squid
You're a kid
You're a squid
You're a kid
You're a squid

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #375 on: August 06, 2015, 09:57:58 AM »
Stop it. Stop - it.

Stop, Vic!
Horrible uninspired try-hard punk-like commercial.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #376 on: August 06, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »
I think they feel that since the game isn't Call of Duty then they should try to appeal to little kids in the commercial?

I'm glad there's no voice chat still, but I wonder what the actual age demographic breakdown is for this game.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #377 on: August 06, 2015, 02:47:58 PM »
Got the update, some thoughts:

• Splatling gun should NOT BE A CHARGER! WTF!?!? It should have been a traditional rapid fire, balance that shit out with slow movement, slow ink recharge and high ink usage. Like come the fuck on!
  • New Urchin Underpass is kinda weird at first but I like it; it's now very open and they removed two of the worst chokepoints in the game.
  • Good system for levels 21-50
  • Squid Girl outfit not available first full day of update, fukk u >=|

When we making the MotK squad???

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #378 on: August 06, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »
The Squid Girl outfit's available, but the pieces are thrown into the shuffle with the others, so you'll have to wait until they show up or order them from the urchin dude.

The Slosher is amazing at covering area but feels a bit weak in combat. I had more fun with the Splatling Gun but needing to charge it is a bit of a hassle.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #379 on: August 06, 2015, 03:12:46 PM »
The Squid Girl outfit's available, but the pieces are thrown into the shuffle with the others, so you'll have to wait until they show up or order them from the urchin dude.

The Slosher is amazing at covering area but feels a bit weak in combat. I had more fun with the Splatling Gun but needing to charge it is a bit of a hassle.
I saw the Squid Girl outfit in screencaps last night, but I'm disappointed that it's not available as well on the first full day.

Having to charge the Splatling ruined the gun for me since I only play TW with full auto so it's back to the Jr for me.

Also, what's with Nintendo's hard-on for the Inkstrike lately? It seems like every other new gun has it now.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #380 on: August 06, 2015, 03:28:42 PM »
I think Inkstrike is just a soft nerf for great or relatively unknown weapons. It's probably the worst super(?), so they can out it on something new and not be worried about balance problems quite as much.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #381 on: August 06, 2015, 03:50:47 PM »
I saw the Squid Girl outfit in screencaps last night, but I'm disappointed that it's not available as well on the first full day.
I meant that it's available in the game, I even saw people with the dress or the hat in-game, but whether or not it will be available in store on the first day (or the next, or the day after) is dependent on how the stock is shuffled.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #382 on: August 06, 2015, 04:06:01 PM »
I meant that it's available in the game, I even saw people with the dress or the hat in-game, but whether or not it will be available in store on the first day (or the next, or the day after) is dependent on how the stock is shuffled.
I know, I'm just saying that I saw screencaps of people with it equipped in game yesterday, meaning it was only available for a few hours yesterday right after the update  until the day change in-game, during which I couldn't play and now I have to wait and hope it comes up again soon which is frustrating. Beyond that, it's bizarre that Nintendo would not be using their first full day to only stock new materials in the shops.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #383 on: August 06, 2015, 04:26:33 PM »
My sister got the hat and dress for Squid Girl on the first day, so she's already showing them off while she waits for the shoes.

pasu

« Reply #384 on: August 06, 2015, 05:14:20 PM »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #385 on: August 06, 2015, 05:26:09 PM »
Hey, I'm in, although I don't promise to do great.

Do we want to pick a time today and see if we can get four people together? I should be available between 8-9PM EST and after 10PM today. I can plan on being online during one or both of those times if others want to be there.

Or we could plan further out and try tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow I've got less going on so I could be online any time in the afternoon.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #386 on: August 06, 2015, 06:03:08 PM »
I am as usual in the wrong timezone so count me out.

Quote from:
  • Splatling gun should NOT BE A CHARGER! WTF!?!? It should have been a traditional rapid fire, balance that shit out with slow movement, slow ink recharge and high ink usage. Like come the fuck on!
It is an uncontrollable firing gun. I was expecting the following mechanics for it to be honest:
- Hold fire to first make it spin (charge)
- Once it is spinning and somewhat charged it will start spitting ink at low ROF first then high ROF (since there is a 2 charge phase as now)
- Letting go of fire will stop the ink spit but will rapidly degenerate the spinning dropping to low ROF or stop.
- Hitting fire will start again at the low ROF (only if it is spinning)
- If the spinning stops > you need to "warm it up" again
- High ink usage.

But instead it is:
- hold fire to charge
- 1st charge phase is short burst, 2nd charge phase is full release
- Uses aprox 1/3 ? or 1/4 of Ink when used
- Release fire to . . . fire  :X

Weird gun to be honest.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:17:21 PM by Helepolis »

« Reply #387 on: August 07, 2015, 02:32:51 AM »
I tried out the new weapons and I'm impressed with neither of them.
The minigun is pretty good, but it's awkward for me to use since I've never been good with the concept of not charging your weapon fully when you need it.

The bucket is nice, but having to spam it to kill is part of why I didn't like the inkbrushes as well. It's strength isn't in confrontations, but it's already a pretty good weapon class in terms of coverage and range.

basically I'm back to the dynamo already.

Also I'm only two muggings days away from completing the Squid girl set.  :toot:

Also finally got a group of friends together so we can do stupid stuff together. everyone is overconcerned with using the noise buttons, but my biggest achievement is using splatbombs only to climb the walls on SaltSpray Rig.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:43:46 AM by WHMZakeri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #388 on: August 07, 2015, 02:47:09 AM »
My ranked the past couple days has been bizarre. It's been nothing but streaks, and sometimes pretty decisive ones at that. I had three Tower Controls in a row end in like thirty seconds earlier, two in my favor and one against.

Tried using the N-Zap again, but I just don't have the aim for it. I think that's why I've had a lot of success with the Octobrush and the Aerospray: when it comes down to it, I'm awful at shooters. I don't have the skillset for them since I've never really liked or played them. So no high-skill weapons for me, I'll go back to flailing away at people for now.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #389 on: August 07, 2015, 06:03:23 AM »
basically I'm back to the dynamo already.
Solid choice. They wreck in every game mode.