Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 98019 times)

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2015, 08:56:41 AM »
It wouldn't be so low if you have friends already in matches. Using the friend finder, you can insert yourself into their match, providing they pressed continue when the match ended. At the moment, that's the only way to find fellow friends, but I think there's an update for that coming soon~ XD

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »
It is good that there isn't specific priority match making for regions. Otherwise it would turn like DotA and such where certain areas are avoided at all cost and others are heavily focussed.

Dunno, So far I only won my first 2 matches and finished the first mission.

I'm still worthless Inkling and need to get lvl 4 first.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »
I did much worse yesterday than I had been the last few days. The maps were the oil rig and the skate park, neither of which I'd ever played on, and I scored a lot lower every round than I used to, even eight or ten matches in after I got used to the maps more. I don't know if my strategy isn't suited for those maps, or my weapon, or if they're just lower-scoring, but I did worse. I did have one match that was 3v4 for most of it but that we still won, that was cool.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2015, 12:54:05 PM »
I'm still worthless Inkling and need to get lvl 4 first.

Lack of freshness is not acceptable in these parts, you pig in squid's clothing~  :ohdear:

But seriously, the more you play, the more you'll get into the swing of things. Once you get more weapons available to you, you'll be able to find out which ones you're better at. Amusingly, I still enjoy the lack of love the inkbrush gets; only because I love surprising players by being the highest point scorer when using it. It's all a matter of feel; and learning to keep an awareness of what's going on around you. Inkstrikes are all well and good, but Inkzookas can be a menace with their over the wall shooting range. And never forget about your subs either; sprinklers are great for weapons that can't lay down ink quick enough, and as a decoy to keep opponents distracted. Same goes for mines and seekers, especially seekers because some players still trip over them~ ^^

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »
Ye the sprinkler seems really strong item/ability. It is like those put down and forget. If you place it at your own side of the map a place which requires paint but takes too much time, such item would be a bliss.

I'll be shooting this evening alot of paint before after some outdoor skating (need to stay trained).

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2015, 01:50:47 PM »
Regarding Sprinklers: http://squidboards.com/guides/good-sprinkler-locations-for-coverage-support-bluefin-depot-added-warehouse-updated.50/
Also seekers are pretty good because you point it to the middle of the map and you just swim behind it.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2015, 04:23:11 PM »
A reminder that the game will be updating to version 1.3.0 sometime today/tomorrow morning (I don't believe an official time was listed). I remember the update to version 1.2.0 had a specific error message that indicated "maintenance" or some equivalent, so if you see that message you'll know it's happening. That previous update also didn't last very long iirc, so hopefully we shouldn't be offline for a while or anything.

But in other news, we'll be getting another game mode the very next day: Tower Control! The goal of this mode is to take control of a kind of platform and ride it towards a goal on the other team's side of the map. This update will be coming at the usual time of the day for your region, but if you want a sneak peak, Nintendo Treehouse: Live will be streaming this new mode on Nintendo's Twitch channel at 3 P.M. PDT/6 P.M. EDT.

EDIT: Actually, we don't even have to wait for the stream. Here's a Tower Control match from the Japanese version of the game. Here are some things we can see from the video so far:

- You don't have to "claim" the ink-able surface on the tower like what you'd do in Splat Zones, you just have to stand on it and it'll move.
- As you'd expect, the areas closest to a team's spawn point are the most dangerous for those riding the tower. Getting a knockout victory may rely heavily on killing a significant portion of the other team at "the right time", though the mode does judge teams based on how close they get to the goal in case that doesn't happen.
- If Walleye Warehouse is any indication, each map will have changes to its geography to help teams navigate the whole field - at 1:40 in the video, the player climbs up to an area that was previously only easily accessible by the other team thanks to an additional block.
- That song that plays when riding the tower is too cute. :V
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:57:10 PM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2015, 10:51:45 PM »
I've always thought the Sprinklers are a pretty low level weapon, since they get picked off with the quickness in every match.

I still use the school girl outfit since it's the cutest, but I'm not too pleased with the current buffs, and I've rerolled the jacket 3 times and still dislike it. Is rerolling with Spike the only way to change buffs?

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2015, 11:15:34 PM »
So according to the sneak peak, each of the points I mentioned above have been confirmed, and more:

- EXP gained in Tower Control works exactly the same as with Splat Zones.
- The tower moves faster when controlled by a team anywhere before the farthest point that that team had reached, at which point it goes back to its normal speed.
- Some weapons from the demonstrations already look particularly useful. Long-range shooters and chargers are naturally effective ways to pick off people riding the tower, but the various Blasters also appear to be great for that purpose due to their AoE. Well-placed bombs, Killer Wails, and possibly Inkstrikes are gonna end up being guaranteed "you get off the tower now" moves, especially bombs from a Bomb Rush.

And as a bonus, we got our first "official" gameplay on the skyscraper stage that was teased in the first Splatfest trailer and further uncovered in the datamine, called Moray Towers. This map is VERY vertical, and looks to be the most difficult to navigate yet, with the various paths up to the spawn points spread over a surprisingly wide area. This may prevent teams from locking down enemies by their spawn, but should still be very rewarding for those who can find ways to ambush others along those same paths. And I must say, the view from the towers is absolutely magnificent. I'm really looking forward to this stage now.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2015, 01:56:54 AM »
Oh shit guys, I just made my most important Splatoon discovery yet: If you turn into a squid and spin the left stick as fast as you can your character spins around on the floor and looks funny. This changes everything. :o It's my most important breakthrough since "mashing L while you walk makes you move by faceplanting over and over".

Here's a Tower Control match from the Japanese version of the game.

Maybe the particular match in that video is just exceptional, but that looks super fun. Looks very dynamic.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2015, 06:33:41 AM »
Did some more Turf Wars yesterday and before I knew it was almost 23:00. My life, what happened to it.

I am glad 'idiots' (people who idle/afk) are not rewarded, even if they try to perform something and thus prevents those dumb afk famers.

Also probably because I am still low level, most people tend to hide in the ink at obvious passing points (Rollers for examples) and then SURPRISE > alt fire to splash down. Since it pretty much 1-shots at point blank. I believe at Port Mackerel this is often the case. If you toss a grenade just over them to block their escape then spray their estimated position, you will pretty much splatter the roller or any other careless person

Currently at level 7 and made some cash though I don't want to spend it yet. Tbh the splatter Jr and grenades with bubble special so far didn't give me any trouble at all except the Ink reservoir.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:50:52 AM by Helepolis »

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2015, 07:07:10 AM »
The Splattershot Jr actually allows you the fire the longest time with the your ink, so it only gets worse from here with ink management!

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2015, 11:25:30 AM »
Currently at level 7 and made some cash though I don't want to spend it yet. Tbh the splatter Jr and grenades with bubble special so far didn't give me any trouble at all except the Ink reservoir.
I'm level 20 and still main the Jr for turf war and have no intention of changing anymore after being generally unsatisfied with any other weapon choice in TW

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2015, 12:17:27 PM »
Tower Control is being re-named 'Our Ice Cream Brings all the Squids to the Yard' just based on the charming jingle that plays when it's moving; so adorable~ XD

And yeah, it looks like it'll be a fair bit more intense than the Splat Zones just based on how small the platform for the tower is. I think if any weapon is going to have a hard time with TC, it'll likely be the rollers; though the Inkbrush could be pretty hilarious as always just waving it about furiously on the stand. Chargers are going to be bosses if used by the right people, and blasters are going to be pretty effective too. As far as subs go, grenades will be fun, and the echolocator will be useful indeed, so you know when to move off the stand and what not when they're coming. Inkstrikes and Wails will pretty much be the 'the second you see it, run the f**k away' tactic, whereas the bubble shield will be perfect for anyone standing on the tower. The Kraken not so much, though it would be good for support in that you can chase squids away from the tower~

Either case, I'm looking forward to playing it~ XD

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2015, 02:20:30 PM »
I'm level 20 and still main the Jr for turf war and have no intention of changing anymore after being generally unsatisfied with any other weapon choice in TW
The loadout for the Splatter Jr is quite strong as far as I have seen. The only downside is power. Splatting an enemy takes some time with it. Any person with a roller, sniper will 1 shot you. But overall it has best usage. Especially the Bubble special. If you use that tactical you can easily win CQC vs 1 or 2 careless Inklings (if your aim is good and they don't try to run). But that is why you have a grenade :V

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2015, 02:48:59 PM »
I got my first-ever first place ranking last night (out of both teams even). It was on the skate park map, and I attribute most of it to taking out a sniper on the high ground in the center of the map in the last few seconds of the game, activating my bomb rush super and giving me a vantage point from which to spin around, haphazardly flinging sticky grenades absolutely everywhere.

I don't have the grenade range buff yet, but I kind of want it now. It was more circumstance than skill, but I was the lowest-rank player in the game, so it felt good.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2015, 01:20:03 PM »
Okay, new questions.

How do I play against krakens? Running away obviously, but I kept getting wrecked by them on Kelp Dome where there are limited routes of escape in a lot of the hallways. Can they be killed? It didn't seem like it, but maybe I did it bad.

What's the point of the paintbrush? It looks to me like a much narrower (maybe slightly faster?) roller with a bigger arc for the ranged mode. Is that all there is to it or am I missing something? What kinds of situations is it good for?

Is there any kind of mechanic to compensate for 3v4s? Maybe this is nothing, but I noticed last night that uneven games seemed a lot closer every time the fourth player didn't spawn than when they spawn but don't leave the starting area. Not close enough for the outnumbered players to win, but both times that happened they just lost by a little.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2015, 02:40:15 PM »
Idle/disconnected players get kicked from next game anyway because they didnt confirm within 20s when the map ends. I dont think anything else is possible atm. Though the new update seems to allow a time-out period. I remember I got "Connection Error" before and now I get "Your connection is unstable" and allows me to lag around

Paintbrush seems more like a brawl skill to me to open up multiple paths for you or block wider area for potential enemy. I think it is heavy situational and would perhaps well in maps like Skate Park where you got multiple surfaces to move on.

Krakens are invincible during their form. Dive as squid, run then use power jump to another ally or back to base. You don't always have to fight them. Getting splatted is wasting your own special gauge and since they went Kraken mode theirs is depleted.

Imo too few people using mid-fight jumps to assist / tactical swap. Somehow people only use jump when they died. Which is bit sad. Not sure how this is with Ranked wars, still trying to get to 10.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
Yeah, I can honestly say, the number of times I've ever super jumped except for respawning is extremely few. I think my brain thinks it takes a lot longer than it does. Good tip, I'll start doing that, thanks.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »
Not many people also use the "To me !"  taunt which emits a sound on your Gamepad indicating you need help.

I try to use it more often (it is just difficult to check the map when you're too focussed on the game, I have to say) when I detected a Ninja move on our home base. Quite often I lost games in last 1 min or 30 seconds where suddenly our base was painted while my allies were worthlessly fighting enemies.

I am trying to get myself used to checking the map frequently, but it is hard. Game is hard!

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2015, 03:57:23 PM »
Okay, new questions.

How do I play against krakens? Running away obviously, but I kept getting wrecked by them on Kelp Dome where there are limited routes of escape in a lot of the hallways. Can they be killed? It didn't seem like it, but maybe I did it bad.

What's the point of the paintbrush? It looks to me like a much narrower (maybe slightly faster?) roller with a bigger arc for the ranged mode. Is that all there is to it or am I missing something? What kinds of situations is it good for?

Is there any kind of mechanic to compensate for 3v4s? Maybe this is nothing, but I noticed last night that uneven games seemed a lot closer every time the fourth player didn't spawn than when they spawn but don't leave the starting area. Not close enough for the outnumbered players to win, but both times that happened they just lost by a little.
With the 1.3.0 patch, you can also shoot at Krakens to knock them back like you would a Bubbler. If you use a short-range weapon, just be wary of the roller trying to fling at you as soon as the Kraken ends (I know from experience lol). You want to come out the winner of this kind of exchange, not the victim of a trade or worse. Something I want to try out is timing a grenade to catch them once the Kraken wears off.

The Inkbrush is actually a bad weapon - there are only like a couple such weapons in the game, which is a testament to Splatoon's overall balance, but the Inkbrush is one of them. It has terrible range and doesn't even kill that fast up close (even with mashing), which is where you'd think it would excel. The extra speed also doesn't help it much at all since it barely lays any ink while "rolling", nor can it adequately defend the areas that it would get to first.

Unfortunately no. If someone disconnects, that team is stuck with the man-disadvantage for the rest of the game (unless multiple people D/C across both teams, at which point you should really consider switching rooms anyway lol). You can tell someone D/C'd if, on the top of the TV screen, you see someone's marker indicate that they are "dead" for more than 10 seconds. I admittedly don't do that often enough myself. But if you find yourself on the wrong end of this, don't worry so much about winning or losing anymore and just play it out.

Imo too few people using mid-fight jumps to assist / tactical swap. Somehow people only use jump when they died. Which is bit sad. Not sure how this is with Ranked wars, still trying to get to 10.
I've found Squid Jumping is really not as effective as people first made it out to be. The main reason, as I've heard it described recently, is that by the time you get there, the information you saw on the Gamepad, i.e., where your teammates are, and more importantly where your enemies are, is roughly five seconds old (even more now with the nerfed Stealth Jump). A lot can change in five seconds - your teammates could die, or enemies with long-range options (not just weapons, but also subs and specials) can set up to pick you off from a distance. It also reveals the rough position of whoever is being jumped to - even with Stealth Jump, you can't turn off the audio cues - meaning it's bad for your team's overall stealth too.

There are times when you can tell a Squid Jump will be relatively safe, such as when a buddy is in an area that is only easily accessible by your team, but even then you can't always guarantee that'll be the case. Personal anecdote, I was playing a round of Turf Wars on Port Mackerel with some friends last week. The enemy team had the clearing on their side of the map secure, but I had managed to sneak on top of the nearby forklift overlooking that area. Without my Bubbler charged, naturally I wasn't going to just rush in. However, then I noticed someone Squid Jumping to an enemy along the right-side wall. I timed a grenade throw for when the dude would land - boom, easy double-kill. It's even worse in Splat Zones, because both teams will be fighting over well-defined areas, and you do not want to feed the other team an easy kill and give them a choke-hold over the zones - that's how matches end quickly.

If you're about to lose and your team is making one last push but you're back by the spawn, then you should Squid Jump if only because you have no other choice - make them have to deal with your entire team at once if they want to close it out, even if it's a clear desperation play. Jumping back to your spawn is also not a bad idea if you find yourself in a sticky situation, since it's much faster than dying. There's also using it to get out of your spawn area if you're being spawn-camped, but if that's happening then there's a much bigger problem going on to begin with.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2015, 06:19:18 PM »
I believe you could knock back krakens before, but it should be easier now.
Also my previous tips of how krakrn moves slower than squid form and doesn't have as tight turns. They also can't go up walls or stay on grates.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2015, 06:56:08 PM »
>Wields Inkbrush to prove a point
>Gets booted from the game 3 times in a row due to 'unstable connection'

F**K YOU GAME! Pasu joined a match with me, also using an Inkbrush, and we were doing brilliantly too! No idea why it's doing this now when it's been fine every single day I've played so far. Might be because of the heatwave over the UK right now? No idea, but it's frustrating it has done it 3 games straight! >>

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2015, 08:31:23 PM »
Going to stream some splatoon. http://www.hitbox.tv/helepolis  Watch me try to be a squid.

Edit

I've found Squid Jumping is really not as effective as people first made it out to be. The main reason, as I've heard it described recently, is that by the time you get there, the information you saw on the Gamepad, i.e., where your teammates are, and more importantly where your enemies are, is roughly five seconds old (even more now with the nerfed Stealth Jump). A lot can change in five seconds - your teammates could die, or enemies with long-range options (not just weapons, but also subs and specials) can set up to pick you off from a distance. It also reveals the rough position of whoever is being jumped to - even with Stealth Jump, you can't turn off the audio cues - meaning it's bad for your team's overall stealth too.

There are times when you can tell a Squid Jump will be relatively safe, such as when a buddy is in an area that is only easily accessible by your team, but even then you can't always guarantee that'll be the case. Personal anecdote, I was playing a round of Turf Wars on Port Mackerel with some friends last week. The enemy team had the clearing on their side of the map secure, but I had managed to sneak on top of the nearby forklift overlooking that area. Without my Bubbler charged, naturally I wasn't going to just rush in. However, then I noticed someone Squid Jumping to an enemy along the right-side wall. I timed a grenade throw for when the dude would land - boom, easy double-kill. It's even worse in Splat Zones, because both teams will be fighting over well-defined areas, and you do not want to feed the other team an easy kill and give them a choke-hold over the zones - that's how matches end quickly.

If you're about to lose and your team is making one last push but you're back by the spawn, then you should Squid Jump if only because you have no other choice - make them have to deal with your entire team at once if they want to close it out, even if it's a clear desperation play. Jumping back to your spawn is also not a bad idea if you find yourself in a sticky situation, since it's much faster than dying. There's also using it to get out of your spawn area if you're being spawn-camped, but if that's happening then there's a much bigger problem going on to begin with.
I personally don't agree but that is a matter of situational uses. It is not like I perma squid jump left to right but there are certainly moments where I notice an ally making a paint move to regain a large turf and squid jumping in to assist will put quick pressure on that area. Of course the location you're leaving has to be "secure" and not get covered when you left. And also as I mentioned as well, many times those ninja enemies start painting your base and nobody notices it. You have no choice but to squidjump back unless you want to lose badly (unless you are absolutely sure you can paint their base as counter attack). It isn't just for sticky situations / fuk I am in trouble. I've won a few matches with marginal difference thanks to this but yea: Extremely situational.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 05:53:15 AM by Helepolis »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2015, 09:25:49 PM »
What's the timeframe on the Splatfest exactly tomorrow? I've got a prior engagement from around 10am-2pm EST, will there be anything for me to do before that?

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2015, 12:29:10 AM »
What's the timeframe on the Splatfest exactly tomorrow? I've got a prior engagement from around 10am-2pm EST, will there be anything for me to do before that?
It runs for 24 hours, starting at 3 A.M. ET on July 4. If those four hours are the only ones you'll be busy for, you'll still have plenty of time left over.

I don't plan on playing the full 24 hours myself. I'm not getting up any earlier than 6, I want to go running sometime that morning, and I want to go out to eat for dinner (have to walk too since no buses :(). However, I still want to play at least long enough to get the minimum 184 XP for 12 sea snails. Anything after that will be a bonus to help double that number.
Spoiler:
Go Cats!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2015, 12:33:06 AM »
Is that how it works, you get double if your side wins overall? And sea snails are used for equipment rerolls, right?

I'm on team cats as well. Feel free to team with me if you see me online, I plan to pop on and off all day starting in the afternoon.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2015, 12:03:25 PM »
Is that how it works, you get double if your side wins overall? And sea snails are used for equipment rerolls, right?

I'm on team cats as well. Feel free to team with me if you see me online, I plan to pop on and off all day starting in the afternoon.
Yes and yes. However, even if you're on the losing team, you'll get a few extra snails if you get a rank of Champion or King/Queen, though I have no idea how many more (still less than the winning team, most likely).

Unfortunately you can't join up with friends directly during a Splatfest, so it's just down to matchmaking. If anyone sees a Jr. player by the name of Alex wearing Fake Contacts and Red Hi-Tops, that's me.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2015, 03:00:16 PM »
So can you put a splash wall down on the tower?

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #119 on: July 04, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »
So can you put a splash wall down on the tower?
The one from Tower Control? Yes you can. It's tricky though, since you can't alter the way the Splash Wall is launched like you can with regular grenades. It has a habit of bouncing off the center pillar if you try to use it while on the tower itself, so try to get it up from beside it. Also, a very good strategy to do when the other team has the tower is to plant a Splash Wall right in front of it. They'll be forced to either get off or direct their attention to the wall.