Author Topic: ITT: We praise the forgotten (and delicious) Touhou Characters.  (Read 84783 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: ITT: We praise the forgotten (and delicious) Touhou Characters.
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2009, 06:33:39 PM »
Sarcasm. LLS and MS are very good in their own way, although LLS is indeed still rough around the edges.

I never have trouble seeing bullets in MS stage 4 actually. The only time I'm ever dizzied is when bubble bullets cover up other bullets.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Maid Xan~

• Oh. Uh... Hey... Hey there, Koto.
  • What... what are you smiling like that for, Koto?
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2009, 06:39:38 PM »
LLS was a decent game. Probably the least rage inducing of the PC98 ones, if only because it has the least "Fuck you" shot patterns.
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

AntKiller

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2009, 07:08:26 PM »
whoot, am I the only one that still play old games?
like touhou 1-5, doom 1 & 2, wolfstein 3d, 1st edition of prince of persia...?
DX

« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2009, 07:17:28 PM »
I play and like PC-98 Touhou, parts of it are really good.  Windows Touhou just completely trumps it, but there seems to be people who absolutely love PC-98, which I just don't really get  :P

AntKiller

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2009, 07:20:42 PM »
but there seems to be people who absolutely love PC-98, which I just don't really get  :P

Mima <3

Edit: Removed zunzunzima XD
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:34:17 PM by Letty Whiterock »

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2009, 09:21:07 PM »
Difficult. ZUN doesn't give any thought to the characters' personalities (besides Reimu and Marisa) outside of their in-game dialog and profiles. Apart from that you'll have to look to fanon.

That's what i usually do. I really like to read doujins and if the characters have been granted convincing personalities it might change the way i look at them. I would say that doujin artists develop the characters based of the "templates" ZUN made for his games. Obviously STG characters can't be too deep (well, maybe in some shooters. I don't know.)

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »
Mima <3

Edit: Removed zunzunzima XD
I'm a PC-98 fanatic and I dislike Mima.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:34:29 PM by Letty Whiterock »

Hieda no Aya

• I see you remodeled.
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:36 PM »
Overlooked characters? This isn't going to be a surprise considering the name I picked, but Akyuu's definitely high on my list. I love the touches of dry humor that work their way into Perfect Memento; I get the impression she's really sharper than she shows. Her perspective is really unique, and her own story is bizarre and kind of bittersweet.

The problem is that the majority of the Touhou fandom refuses to acknowledge the manga, stories and books like it's a rule...

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2009, 10:46:17 PM »
The problem is that the majority of the Touhou fandom refuses to acknowledge the manga, stories and books like it's a rule...
Unless is officially recognized. :D

AntKiller

« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2009, 10:48:04 PM »
I'm a PC-98 fanatic and I dislike Mima.
STOP POSTING THIS
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:34:40 PM by Letty Whiterock »

nintendonut888

« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »
LLS was a decent game. Probably the least rage inducing of the PC98 ones, if only because it has the least "Fuck you" shot patterns.

Sorry? I love LLS, but there's some problems with this statement. I know I'm judging by lunatic, but the following are attacks I'd consider "fuck you" attacks:

Elly's blue bullet spam (I've dodged it once. Ever.)

Pre-boss spam of stage 5 Yuka (a.k.a PC-98 books)

Stage 5 Yuka's last attack phase (Sorry, did you not use Marisa? Well SCREW YOU, have a 100% solid wall of bullets across the whole screen that is literally impossible to dodge!)

Yuka's first attack phase (yellow intersecting bullets! With an opening that's about two hitboxes wide! And is open for less than half a second! I dodged this once out of pure luck)

Yuka's final attack phase (this attack is so thick it slows my game down to 30 FPS. I have never gotten through a single wave, nor can I even see an opening. I'm dead serious when I say this attack is the embodiment of BS, and I yearn for the day someone reveals how the hell it is remotely possible to survive)

And Gengetu Rape Time, but it's a little dumb to count time out phases of attacks.

MS is more difficult, but besides Yumeko there's no spots I'd consider BS.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Maid Xan~

« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2009, 02:24:59 AM »
Sorry? I love LLS, but there's some problems with this statement. I know I'm judging by lunatic, but the following are attacks I'd consider "fuck you" attacks:

Elly's blue bullet spam (I've dodged it once. Ever.)

Pre-boss spam of stage 5 Yuka (a.k.a PC-98 books)

Stage 5 Yuka's last attack phase (Sorry, did you not use Marisa? Well SCREW YOU, have a 100% solid wall of bullets across the whole screen that is literally impossible to dodge!)

Yuka's first attack phase (yellow intersecting bullets! With an opening that's about two hitboxes wide! And is open for less than half a second! I dodged this once out of pure luck)

Yuka's final attack phase (this attack is so thick it slows my game down to 30 FPS. I have never gotten through a single wave, nor can I even see an opening. I'm dead serious when I say this attack is the embodiment of BS, and I yearn for the day someone reveals how the hell it is remotely possible to survive)

And Gengetu Rape Time, but it's a little dumb to count time out phases of attacks.

MS is more difficult, but besides Yumeko there's no spots I'd consider BS.

Not even Cheeto lasers?

Also, I'd consider all of Mai and Yuki to be a huge fuck you.

Besides, I don't do lunatic. I know my limits. My reflexes are not up to it, and I suck at guessing the PC98 hitboxes.
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2009, 03:03:15 AM »
STOP POSTING THIS
Oh god we have angered the drunken lord!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:34:53 PM by Letty Whiterock »

nintendonut888

« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2009, 03:26:56 AM »
Not even Cheeto lasers?

Also, I'd consider all of Mai and Yuki to be a huge fuck you.

Besides, I don't do lunatic. I know my limits. My reflexes are not up to it, and I suck at guessing the PC98 hitboxes.

In my MS lunatic 1cc, I beat Yuki and Mai without dying. In the same run I only used one bomb on the entirety of cheeto lasers. Cheeto lasers is simply very easy to screw up, it's entirely fair.

Maid Xan~

« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2009, 04:26:51 AM »
In my MS lunatic 1cc, I beat Yuki and Mai without dying. In the same run I only used one bomb on the entirety of cheeto lasers. Cheeto lasers is simply very easy to screw up, it's entirely fair.

Whatever. People are good at different things, I guess.

Demonlord Pichu

« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2009, 04:32:15 AM »
I can't stand Stage 4, the boss(es) I can handle (on Normal derp). I did get there on Lunatic once, but I quit after getting to Yandere Luize, matter of fact I think she killed me once and I got pissed off and went to do something else.

Maid Xan~

« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2009, 04:37:16 AM »
I can't stand Stage 4, the boss(es) I can handle (on Normal derp). I did get there on Lunatic once, but I quit after getting to Yandere Luize, matter of fact I think she killed me once and I got pissed off and went to do something else.

Stage 4 seems to almost always be one of the most aggravating stages in a give Touhou game...

Exceptions for me are LLS, EoSD, and SA.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2009, 07:17:45 PM »
Stage 4 seems to almost always be one of the most aggravating stages in a give Touhou game...

Exceptions for me are LLS, EoSD, and SA.

I think Patty's library is quite tough, actually. I tend to have lots of trouble there but yeah, I guess Satori's mansion is quite smooth compared to what's waiting for you right on the next stage...
rofl bye

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2009, 01:34:38 AM »

Where's the love for the Jack?

« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2009, 01:52:27 AM »
Ah, I've never had an opportunity to play close enough attention to notice that was a Jack ... I always assumed it was a King, what with the crown and all ...

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2009, 03:27:23 AM »
Yeah, I thought for once I'd just play through the PC98 games and screencap some of the enemies. Like whoever this is.

nintendonut888

« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2009, 03:37:28 AM »
Yeah, I thought for once I'd just play through the PC98 games and screencap some of the enemies. Like whoever this is.

I hate that girl. I just call her the greater fairy, and assume that every single fairy midboss that looks like that is the same person, just trying to screw you over one time after the other.

Now the fairy midboss in MS stage 1, THAT girl had heart. I made up an entire backstory for her.

Patoyo

• Currently waiting for Touhou 13
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2009, 03:45:26 AM »
I hate that girl. I just call her the greater fairy, and assume that every single fairy midboss that looks like that is the same person, just trying to screw you over one time after the other.

They ARE the same person

nintendonut888

« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2009, 03:52:14 AM »
They ARE the same person

Then she is PC-98 Orin, because she shows up 6 times throughout the series.

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2009, 04:06:13 AM »

Now the fairy midboss in MS stage 1, THAT girl had heart. I made up an entire backstory for her.

Ah, this one?

Yeah, she's easy.

Patoyo

• Currently waiting for Touhou 13
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2009, 04:10:03 AM »
Then she is PC-98 Orin, because she shows up 6 times throughout the series.

Probably not, she's too easy

nintendonut888

« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2009, 04:33:12 AM »
Right, here's a copy/paste of my writeup for her when I was bored enough to rank the PC-98 midbosses:

Fairy with a cause (MS stage 1): This one looks just like a regular fairy, but it's a midboss. It's pulsing with power...this girl must have trained every day, increasing her power far beyond what a normal fairy is capable of. It showed too! She had many friends, all admiring her for her message that anyone can rise up in this cruel cruel world and become a midboss! She took her stand against you, fighting for all of fairy kind...but then you killed her. Without remorse, you took her from this world. You just went gaily on your way, off to fight a goddess. You didn't even think about what you left behind. Dozens of mourners...sobbing...all plotting a revenge against you.

And the cycle continues...

« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2009, 06:09:42 AM »
Yeah but fairies always instantly resurrect. Akyu said so.

nintendonut888

« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2009, 06:25:35 AM »
But didn't Shikieki say to Cirno that if she isn't careful she will get an injury that won't heal? That must mean that it's possible for fairies to get mortally wounded.

EDIT: Here:

At this rate, you might receive damage
that cannot be healed naturally.

Cirno
That isn't true!
I'm the strongest!

Siki
 In other words, that means death.
If you die, then we will most definitely judge you.
At that time, whether you will go to heaven or hell...
Well, we don't know that yet.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 06:27:46 AM by nintendonut888 »

Ghetto

« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2009, 06:29:50 AM »
Um, as for the Elly pic.
My friend sent me this one.
I think her Scythe is scary.
Makes me wanna cry. :D

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc357/nocturnshado/Elly.jpg