Author Topic: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?  (Read 213540 times)

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
Re: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?
« Reply #510 on: June 05, 2017, 03:40:42 AM »
Boo hoo hoo-oooh!
Too bad Elf is the best girl, that means there's no chance she will win.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:42:33 AM by Delfigamer »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #511 on: June 05, 2017, 05:18:06 AM »
It'll probably just wind up ending like Oreimo. G R O S S.  :barf:

And now that I've ruined that for you and every other EMS fan who ISN'T into THAT:
I'm mainly watching Dragon Ball Super's dub, even though it's currently still in the movie adaptation arc phase. Mainly hoping it'll tide me over until Stardust Crusaders starts airing on Toonami in the hopefully, hopefully near future.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Zelinko

• The Wandering Mind
« Reply #512 on: June 18, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »
Been picking up Arpeggio of Blue Steel both Manga and Anime and found both to be very enjoyable and realized that with how the manga is the way the Anime adapted it was really the best option they had for amount of episodes they had available.

I mean I've had Haruna in World of Warships for almost a year or more now but just now started to poke where she came from.

On other fronts group watches of Space Battleship 2199 with friends.
Might have other stuff on the list soon.
This Space For Rent

Delfigamer

« Reply #513 on: June 18, 2017, 11:06:22 PM »
So, I've decided to check this RWBY thing out.
My thoughts: "cheesus, so much cheese!", "do these animators just hate it when something stays still?", "omg just behave like a sane human already come on", "hey the music is kinda nice", "(actually covers his face with hands) my god this joke was already bad and they keep dragging it on!", "ahaha dude you're so right these are weird children man this dude is the ray of fresh light in this cheesy yellowness dear god".
"I liked it better when I was watching GMod machinimas."
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:09:38 PM by Delfigamer »

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #514 on: June 19, 2017, 05:25:05 AM »
Season 1 kinda sucked, Season 2 got good, Season 3 was alright, considering what happened.

Season 4 was there, I guess.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #515 on: June 22, 2017, 09:04:46 PM »
I'm fresh outta the oven with Koe no Katachi, or at least I was yesterday. Anybody seen it and wanna share thoughts? I was snuggling a blanket for, like, half the movie.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #516 on: June 23, 2017, 02:00:51 AM »
I've got no idea why, but ever since I've gotten passed the anime in the DanMachi novels, everything just got way more awesome. I'm seriously hoping that they announce a second season at the end of spinoff anime now because they definitely have enough material for at least a second season by now.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #517 on: June 29, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
I'm fresh outta the oven with Koe no Katachi, or at least I was yesterday. Anybody seen it and wanna share thoughts? I was snuggling a blanket for, like, half the movie.
I want to see this so badly after a friend turned me on to looking into it...  It's out?  Or do I not want to ask (due to...questionable means of watching)?
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #518 on: July 12, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »
Just wrapped up Eromanga-sensei.  All I can say is, "Meh."

It's not bad, but it's far from good too.  All it has going for it are moeblobs and memes.  The story isn't very good and feel so by-the-numbers, and the characters are underdeveloped.  And let's not get into the (pseudo-)incest angle it's aiming for.  (Other than can the author write anything else?)  It's the type of series that's hot today, forgotten tomorrow.

Borrowing Jeremy Jahn's rating scale, I give it a "Will forget about it in about T-1 Day (Yup, already forgotten about it.)"

Delfigamer

« Reply #519 on: July 13, 2017, 06:49:47 AM »
Eromanga is trash, and so is Emilia.
I think it was fine. It was consistently funny, which I can't say for a lot of titles.
As for moeblobs and memes, well, of course, Eromanga is full of them, that's kind of the point of the show: how much trash can you pack into a 20-minute episode withouth it spilling into an R rating? I think the creators were successful in packing a lot.
I liked Emilia more though.

Lt Streko

• Gates of Yukari
« Reply #520 on: July 13, 2017, 08:32:29 AM »
I thought both seasons of Konosuba was consistently funny. I mean the ending of the second season with the constant
Spoiler:
harassing by the Axis cult members
started to get old, but it only lasted for two episodes and really drives home the fact how
Spoiler:
annoying Aqua's worshippers are

Anyways, not really a lot of interesting anime coming out this season. The only thing I'm somewhat interested in is the new Fate series, and after watching the first two episodes I think it's okay. I just want an anime with some sort of engaging/exciting plot, there's too much silly stuff now.
Uwaaaa~

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #521 on: July 13, 2017, 09:47:42 AM »
I thought both seasons of Konosuba was consistently funny. I mean the ending of the second season with the constant
Spoiler:
harassing by the Axis cult members
started to get old, but it only lasted for two episodes and really drives home the fact how
Spoiler:
annoying Aqua's worshippers are

Anyways, not really a lot of interesting anime coming out this season. The only thing I'm somewhat interested in is the new Fate series, and after watching the first two episodes I think it's okay. I just want an anime with some sort of engaging/exciting plot, there's too much silly stuff now.
Check out Made in Abyss. It's the resident "show that's actually pretty good but with a name that makes people laugh every time you gush over it".

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #522 on: July 13, 2017, 08:08:52 PM »
Symphogear AXZ. Episode 2.
Fist 1, reason 0!
That's pretty much Symphogear in nutshell.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Jq1790

« Reply #523 on: July 13, 2017, 09:47:16 PM »
Watched much of Little Witch Academia recently, no regrets.  Started Hyouka, got paywalled on Funi but got enough of a taste I WILL end up buying it later or asking for it so it definitely hooked me, KonoSuba I'm almost done with and think is hilarious and clever in how it does things.  Gotta finish the last episode or two tonight(EDIT:  Done and found out it might have just been meant to promote the manga version and so there won't be a s3?  That's....Kinda makes me hope it bombs out of spite).

Pretty good times so far.  Gotta catch up on more cool things I've ignored over the past year+.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 03:17:39 AM by Jq1790 »

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
« Reply #524 on: August 02, 2017, 02:59:25 AM »
I think the unexpectedly good find I have from this season is Princess Principal. For one, the music is by Kajiura Yuki so it really stands out nicely. The storyline is still running pretty strong so I hope it doesn't wind up becoming too much of a cute girl doing cute things series.

Other than that, Knights and magic (the Light novel is a pretty good read too) and Aho girl (Jesus christ Hiroyuki) are on my watch list this season.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #525 on: August 02, 2017, 03:21:02 AM »
I think the unexpectedly good find I have from this season is Princess Principal. For one, the music is by Kajiura Yuki so it really stands out nicely. The storyline is still running pretty strong so I hope it doesn't wind up becoming too much of a cute girl doing cute things series.

Other than that, Knights and magic (the Light novel is a pretty good read too) and Aho girl (Jesus christ Hiroyuki) are on my watch list this season.
I'm watching all of that as well, and Princess Principal is definitely up there. It's a lot better than I thought it'd be. That said though, I look forward to Tuesdays simply because of Aho Girl's randomness and New Game!!

Also, Made In Abyss is really good too. The scenario intrigued me, so after watching a couple of episodes I went ahead and got myself as up-to-date on the manga as possible.
Spoiler:
I certainly wasn't expecting things to go from a happy-looking SOL/adventure series to delve right in to suffering and nightmare fuel.

Also, Vatican Miracle Examiners is looking like it's gonna be an absolutely wonderful trainwreck of a series after episode four's shenanigans. I haven't had this much fun with an anime since Cross Ange.

Delfigamer

« Reply #526 on: August 02, 2017, 04:50:37 AM »

Gamers! is gold. Yes, it is consistently funny, but what truly amazes me is how well they used their noticeably limited animation budget. Duke would be proud.

Also, Karen is my new Emilia, and this time we can even see her gitting gud within the anime! (As opposed to ten volumes after the last episode.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:07:43 AM by Delfigamer »

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #527 on: August 02, 2017, 06:15:39 AM »
This season has a lot of unexpected gold. Just yesterday I watched all of the Tsurezure Children shorts and was flooooooored.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #528 on: August 19, 2017, 03:06:10 AM »
been reading around random mangas left and right for awhile.

but! I just found Hakumei to Mikochi, a story following the random lives of two kobitos out of a whole civilization of them. It's really cute and the scenery/background art is gorgeous. There's a lot lot of love put into the art in this manga, as it should, to fully make use of the size and dimensions of the characters and settings.

Really makes me want a kobito friend, I would give so much random crap to them, like bottle caps and what not. There's got to be a alice sukuna fic out there somewhere.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Delfigamer

Lt Streko

• Gates of Yukari
« Reply #530 on: September 01, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »
So I've been reading the light novels for Overlord. Been slacking but I'm at the end of the second volume and I have to say it's actually REALLY good. Maybe even better than the anime. To be honest though it gives me more appreciation for the anime since the show follows the books almost perfectly. It also goes into a little more depth of some of the side characters Ainz meets along the way. It's getting me super hyped for season 2 that's supposed to come out later this year. Can't wait!

I can't believe I just spent 6 hours shopping a shitty anime into a story of its own. Dear god.
I'd potentially watch that. lol

Uwaaaa~

Delfigamer

« Reply #531 on: September 02, 2017, 06:59:51 PM »

But actually, Isekai Shokudou is a pretty good. Did you ever see Hero Union BBS? It's a bunch of loosely connected cool stories just like it, except now the heroes also get to eat.

Jq1790

« Reply #532 on: September 04, 2017, 04:21:01 AM »
E:  Forgot there was a Gamers! thread.  Delete please.  ;D

Lt Streko

• Gates of Yukari
« Reply #533 on: September 05, 2017, 03:36:27 PM »
But actually, Isekai Shokudou is a pretty good. Did you ever see Hero Union BBS? It's a bunch of loosely connected cool stories just like it, except now the heroes also get to eat.
To be honest, I've never heard of either of them. I'll have to look into it, but right now I'm too busy being on the Fate hype train and watching Fate Zero. I'm near the end now...so good. As usual RIP
Spoiler:
Lancer
. Also god damn
Spoiler:
fake priest kirei
. More importantly, Irisviel best girl.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:39:35 PM by Lt Streko »
Uwaaaa~

Orreries

• Fate/東方蕩れ
  • Touhou Fascination
« Reply #534 on: November 13, 2017, 08:02:46 AM »
Made in Abyss - amazing story and characters, full of emotion and adventure in a mysterious world, great OST too. A couple scenes of extreme SUFFERING but at least it's part of something meaningful.  There's some uncomfortable detailj sometimes, but it's still out of this world good. I immediately went to read the manga after, and am enjoying it immensely

Shoukoku no Altair - Arslan 2: Ottoman Boogaloo pretty much, exciting diplomacy, war & economic strategy, great characters. Has the bishounen design going on, but it's a good watch. I read the manga, and am thrilled to be able to watch it in animation.

Mahoutsukai no Yome, full TV anime - Magic and feels There's a mild "suffering otome player character" vibe here, but it's a good story with interesting events and characters.

Kino no Tabi 2017 - Traveler visits countries with various unusual customs. I hear "it's not the same" a lot and indeed it doesn't fully channel the atmosphere of Kino, but it's still really enjoyable.

Kekkai Sensen S2 - Supernatural anime that's cool, comical, chaotic. Mood is reminiscent of FLCL, if it took place in an eldritch abomination -invaded NYC

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou - Post-apocalyptic daily life with military aesthetic, chibi characters

Kujira no Kora Something-or-other - So far it's like Shinsekai yori in many crucial ways, but with more blood and death. Interesting story about the weight and problems of living in a psychic society (Please don't get awkwardly psychosexual later on)

Fate/Apocrypha - All sorts of charming Servants in this Grail War, plus a cool shotgun necromancer ossan! Cons: Go away Sieg. What's gotten into Jeanne? I half suspect that A-1 will asspull some ridiculous ending (inb4 Jalter).

Tsurezure Children - Romance, delightful (and a little lewd) interactions

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
somewhat older one but I finally got around to it
Fully a comedy, great gags with a little bit of story behind the comedy
It's rumored the writer is Bomber Grape, and it does make perfect sense for that to be the case

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #535 on: November 15, 2017, 09:22:23 PM »
I accidentally put myself onto a bit of a Houseki no Kuni kick recently. I'd been enjoying the anime (and seriously, the CG animation is way better than what you usually see) and I ended up marathoning most of the chapters yesterday in order to get caught up on the manga. Needless to say, I'm ready for Phos's wild ride.

« Reply #536 on: December 14, 2017, 04:45:25 AM »
Thank goodness someone else is watching it.  Caught off guard by the manga about a year ago and was engaged with the setting and its other-worldliness.
Heard about a production being put out for it awhile back, but didn't think it'd actually get an adaptation.
Was quite let down to hear it being CG, but was rather blown away from what a competent team could do with the medium. It's surprisingly a visual treat.
Spoiler:
The whole moon arc has had me on edge. The ocean arc was when I knew I was in for some shit with this series.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #537 on: December 14, 2017, 06:06:33 AM »
Spoiler:
The whole moon arc has had me on edge. The ocean arc was when I knew I was in for some shit with this series.
Spoiler:
I didn't find myself completely invested until the fallout resulting from the finale of the Winter arc. That's when I knew things were getting good, haha. The Moon arc has had me on edge as well and the chapters can't come out fast enough for me, especially with the last few that've been released.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #538 on: May 08, 2018, 05:48:57 PM »
Wow this thread has been getting dusty.

So I read the manga Assassin's Pride and it was interesting enough for me to get a jp kindle account and start the light novels. Currently I'm on the 2nd book.

And I have to say I like it I do. It starts off by introducing the heroine who lives in a world of magic, where nobles are the only ones with magic. But she can't use magic and there's a growing rumor spreading in the under world that she's an illegitimate child. The MC is an assassin dispatched as her home tutor to determine if she is and kill her if so (because politics, her father is in a very influential position).

It goes on to show the first day of the MC's new job observing the heroine and it's absolutely miserable for her. It does a really good job of making you sympathize for her. And even the MC feels so sorry for her terrible life (of getting bullied at school, being unable to make any results and being beaten so one sidedly all the time) that he decides to kill her that same night out of mercy. He doesn't, obviously, but ends up putting himself in a very precarious position. Go read it yourself.

I feel like there's even a lot of thought put into the setting for a story of this kind, you know, what with the extremely low standards that light novels sets the bar at. It's good and I like it but there are some issues I have with it. The biggest one being that she's only 13 and the novels go into some creepy ass descriptions sometimes when describing her body. Like god, is this necessary? It's especially creepy because the MC is 17 and it so teeters on pedophillic, these descriptions. If the author stopped this, then I would have almost no complaint like complaints. Because everything else is handled so well! I almost feel like the publisher is forcing them to include some of these things because it's so out of place. These problems don't show up in the manga, obviously.

Hope it gets an anime sometime.

edit: I have finished reading all the published volumes (1-7 + one extra side stories volume) for this, Assassin's Pride. It's a bit unfortunate. I think the author is good at storytelling, I'm always curious about what'll happen next. It flows smoothly and even though it jumps around characters sometimes, it's not frustrating leaps between viewpoints that completely break the pace like Durarara or the Kumo Desu ga novelization. This author, they have a talent for storytelling. But they're also trapped in some of the stupid ass conventions of "light novel shenanigans", mainly the aforementioned uncomfortable sexual "fanservice" moments. Like seriously, take them out and this will be good without question. The last volume, volume 7, had a particularly terrible one that I don't even feel like talking about. If this ever gets an anime (and I hope it does), please, please take them out or tone them down a lot.

Then there is one other thing I don't like, which is the harem direction that the relationships between the main cast of girls seems to be taking with the MC. There's only one I care about, which is the sweet relationship that the MC and the heroine have, the rest I don't care for. Someone once said that power has to be distributed carefully among characters in a story and I feel like the same works with romance. When you spread romance too thinly, it drops the quality for every character involved in it. It's annoying that the relationship between the MC and the heroine gets watered down by her having 3 other 'extras' that are also clamouring for attention from the MC.

But the thing is, I'm invested enough in the characters and the story that I can understand and almost accept why these other 3 girls like the MC so much. It makes sense, these girls are from nobility and attend all-girls academies and the one male they know is very cool and strong. Like, of course they would form a crush on him. I understand it but it dilutes the relationship between the MC and the heroine because the story doesn't seem to give any indication of the harem status being resolved any time soon. And sometime somewhere we got stuck in this romantic gaga stage of the relationship when I feel like there's still a lot of exploring that can be done between the MC and heroine's teacher-pupil dynamic.

There's still a couple of other things that are kinda dumb but I can accept as being 'diagetic' too, because I'm invested in the characters and story and view them as being legitimate characters (and not cheap light novel standard trite cliche sitcom cardboard cutouts). A good example being Myul, the most likable 'harem' member besides the heroine, whose shtick is being seductive which is kind of creepy for a 13/14 year old but I can accept as being a part of who she is. It works (just barely. Well to explain, it's made very clear that she has no idea what she's really doing or of the actual affect it may have on people--males--and that she's actually just a massive bookworm who is naive about things. It works,) and I can accept it. Again, because I'm invested in the cast.

The heroine is legitimately cool and its great to read along and try to cheer her on. Her fights are the best and they're done really well. Everything she does feels like a great accomplishment and worthy of celebration considering where she started from. The effect starts to wear off a bit but not a whole lot, the author does a whelmful job of making sure that the story doesn't keep hanging off of the same premise and get tiring. The earlier volumes are the better ones, I think volume 2 was the best, followed closely by 1, then the others in no particular order. The others are held back by being either pretty uninteresting in hindsight of the story, not particularly advancing the character relationships, or not having a good battle. But it's worthy of credit to the author that even these other ones still have at least one or two of the three things so that I have a difficult time sorting them. Volumes 2 and 1 are great for having all three.

tldr; good storytelling with memorable characters and good fight scenes that is held back but not crippled by some light novel shenanigans.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:52:01 AM by Mеа »
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #539 on: June 17, 2018, 09:01:57 PM »
This is obviously the coldest take imaginable, but I have been enjoying the absolute hell out of My Hero Academia lately. The anime specifically, I haven't read the manga.

This week's episode is one of the single best episodes of television I've ever seen. It made me cry twice. So good~
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.