Author Topic: Any interest in making the DDC patch?  (Read 15784 times)

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
Re: Any interest in making the DDC patch?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 07:15:03 PM »
After reading the thread, a few things:

1) Why in all the world are we translating "Kobito"? We don't translate "Oni" into "ogre." So why Inchlings? It sounds so dumb, and Kobito is their species name, so why are we not sticking with it? (That goes for the Touhou wiki, too. It's so silly.)

2) Is there a seriously only one person working on the thcrap translations? If so, we should fish around here and get some more people on it. No wonder the 14.3 achievements STILL AREN'T TRANSLATED IN THE GAME PROPER. It has been almost a month. Really now folks. Don't we have this down pat by now? It must be that we're understaffed. Hell, even Touhouwiki has the translations. Nazeo, if your folks are understaffed, push for help. Teach people how to fix up the files.

3) Speaking of point 2, can we start some kind of How To Translate Touhou online page or something? By that, I mean, how to alter game files? It would be nice to have a walkthrough for those of us who are acquainted with programming enough to learn but not enough (or without enough time/whatever) to figure it out from scratch. Also, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. We need a source for this.

4) When is thcrap going to support the fighters? They're going to keep being released, and Hopeless Masquerade took an eternity to get fully translated. (Not that it didn't take an eternity to become a *complete game* though.)

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2014, 03:42:18 PM »
1) Why in all the world are we translating "Kobito"? We don't translate "Oni" into "ogre." So why Inchlings? It sounds so dumb, and Kobito is their species name, so why are we not sticking with it? (That goes for the Touhou wiki, too. It's so silly.)
Because ko bito just means small person, and doesn't refer to a specific Japanese concept - it would be like saying Utsuho is a "Jigokugarasu" instead of a hell raven, or calling Marisa "The Ordinary Mahoutsukai". Translating it literally wasn't an option because people kept confusing "little person" (meaning a person with dwarfism) and "one of the little people" (meaning a fairy of some kind). Translating it as dwarf would make people think she's a Tolkien-style dwarf rather than someone an inch high.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:47:46 PM by Prime32 »

Araceli Caralyz

• A mus~! oxo
  • Touhou Fan, US Army NG Veteran & NICET Certified,
    • What I am up to~
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 02:57:35 PM »
Ah sorry guys for the really late response, was doing some TDY at Fort McCoy, I'm going to hand this one to Nmlgc to answer.
This one has some cursing ( because MediaWiki is kinda terrible and so are snake oil anti-viruses ) so originally we were worried about the decorum, but it's better for me to be like "Hey, just as a heads up, there is cursing" instead of me re-wording the original message.

Lemme know if you have any other questions!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 03:58:54 PM »
Because ko bito just means small person, and doesn't refer to a specific Japanese concept
This would seem to beg to differ. If a "kobito" is a non-human species, then there's really no need to translate it (and certainly not as "Inchling", a word that has scant use if any in English).

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."