Author Topic: The MotK Fanworks Listing, version 3ish: We Should Probably Do Something  (Read 51600 times)

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
So apparently if you leave the books here unsummarized for to long, they animate and start flying around and biting people who don't pay their library fees.  The general amusement caused by this event caused us to delay starting the summarizing binge, but they've started forming flocks and practicing group tactics, so we've decided it would be best if we just sat down and updated the list.

And by we I mean you all.  :derp:

The MotK Fanworks Listing, version 3ish: We Should Probably Do Something

Convincing Ruro to placate the books took some doing.

The Perspective
About four years ago, the Librarians decided that the fanworks section needed some serious tidying up-- a listing of works, with summaries and genres attached, to stir up interest in reading from people who would otherwise read, but didn't have time to sort through the mess. That project came to fruition as the PSL Library Catalogue, which stands proud to this day.

Unfortunately having three or four people try to keep track of what's been summarized and what hasn't became impossible.  Add in the work we did to make the list easier to search, and the task became beyond the greatest rabbit's skills.  And so we had a massive undertaking to sort ALL the unsummarized works.

The task was a great success, revitalizing the list and giving a great resource for future runs... and then we never did it again.  Oops!

Well the time to fix that is now.  We're going to grab our plasma rifles and towels and head down into the depths of the library to categorize the strange and terrifying fiction that has arisen since last time.  Our last expedition had only a 20% fatality rate, and we returned with 60% of the arms we started with, so there shouldn't be any real worries

We will take any volunteers that want to help out; old regulars as well as new people are all invited to take part. We are hoping for a few volunteers, but no more than ten, since that makes work distribution terribly unwieldy and because our local fairies only have ten fingers.

So for those who would like to help, please post here or PM me or Sakana. After we get ourselves more organized, the work that needs to be done will get organized into preliminary lists and sent to the volunteers, who will then send back summaries in the style of the current listing. Or, like this:

Code: [Select]
[b]Name: [url=web address of the fic goes here]title of fic goes here[/url][/b]
[b]Author:[/b] author goes here
[b]Status:[/b] is it ongoing, on hiatus, or what?
[b]Genre:[/b] Primary genre, ##secondary genre-- use your best judgment on this
[b]Summary:[/b] Summary goes here

Currently we have as main genres Action, Adventure, Drama (includes Tragedy), Romance, Slice of Life, Comedy, Parody, Crossover, Mystery and Suspense, Poetry, Short Story Collections, and Miscellaneous and Other. Try to use those main genres as the primary genres, if you can.

It's time to make your mark on literary history.  I promise it's totally worth the chance of having your brains eaten by an angry thesaurus.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:07:26 PM by Iced Fairy »

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: The MotK Fanworks Listing, version 3ish: We Should Probably Do Something
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »
Time to step on up, to the plaaaaate. 'cuz this ain't no gaaame. It's time to make history yeaaaaaaaaah.

Er uh, I mean, I'm on board for this again! o>
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 02:43:05 AM »
You have my pen!

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 06:45:42 AM »
I'll take on a few myself, no promises how much I can fit into my schedule though, got a moving to plan after all!

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »
I should probably do something to retain my Librarian title, shouldn't I? I'll try my best to take on some assignments. It'll give me an excuse to read more of the recent worka; I've kind of been away from the PSL for a while.

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 12:59:49 AM »
Volunteering my services as well. :3

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »
Current Sacrifices:

1 - Iced Fairy
2 - Sakana
3 - Donut
4 - Sect
5 - Esi
6 - Joveus

We can use 4 more victims for the book gods before venturing into the dungeon.  All you need is a bit of spare time here and there.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 01:11:38 PM »
How big is the workload looking to be if you get all ten?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »
Doing a quick eyeball, about 12 works each.  Most of which are going to be hiatused after one or two posts.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »
I have too much spare time and never use it for anything useful.

That changes now. I'll give it a shot.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 08:02:29 PM »
After compiling the list, we appear to have 119 new works.  Of those four are decently size, and two are my fault.  There's a number of short story threads though, which should be fast.

In addition some stories might turn out to be "here's a fic idea" or "here's a link to my fanfic on mediafire" or "someone should write this fic."  Those will be skipped.  I think I got most of them, but there's probably a few hiding in the list still.

Joveus Molai

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 02:03:29 AM »
Current Sacrifices:

Books for the books god.

If we don't get enough word-slaves volunteers, I'd be happy to take a bigger workload to make up for the deficit.

Nicktendonick

• guess the IRC ban wasn't a big enough hint
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 06:53:01 AM »
I'll sign up too. I have a whole bin filled with arms, so I don't mind losing some for a good cause.

Jokes aside, I'll take the plunge head on. Maybe I've never done it, maybe i'm naive, but it seems like fun.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:08:14 AM by Nicktendonick »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »
Ah fuck, why not? Count me in.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »
In. For posterity!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 11:54:51 PM »
So be it.  We have gathered our party, and shall now venture forth.

Current adventurers are

1 - Iced Fairy, Fairy Faker
2 - Sakana, Weretuna Bureaucrat
3 - Donut, Pastry Emergency Food Supply
4 - Sect, Tengu Meatshield
5 - Esi, Human Psychic
6 - Joveus, Aesir Chronologist
7 - Chirei, Demon Overlord
8 - Nitendonick, Zombie Console
9 - Purvis, Hobo "I not a class, I am a free man!"
10 - Ammy, Tengu Researcher

I'll put together the lists and mail them out tomorrow.  As a warning, everyone will be getting at least one long fic, with some of you getting a rather sizable works.  I've tried to split them so no one person gets stuck with too much junk though.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 12:25:22 AM »
So when I said tomorrow I lied.  Mail is out.  Let the summarizing begin.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 12:38:04 AM »
So things to note for you noobs.

How to categorize a stories status :
Complete: Exactly what it sounds like. Note that this is different from Ended.
Ended: When the author posts a final update, saying that "I will no longer update this". Valesta's Thought's End is a good example.
Stalled: When the writer says they're taking a break and doesn't come back to the piece for a month or longer. Note that the only thing that separates this from Ended is that they at least state their intent to return. However, if this continues for six months, it goes to Permanent Hiatus.
Incomplete: Fics with a constant rate of updating. Updating at least once a month is enough to receive this designation.
Sporadically Updated: This designation exists because of short story threads, which most writers tend to update whenever the hell they feel like it. (I know I'm like this, and Rou, Benny1, etc tend to show signs of this too.)
Halted: When a fic is forcibly ended because the writer has been banned. Can and should overlap with Permanent Hiatus.
Permanent Hiatus: Should only be given to works that have not updated in six months or longer. It's a politically correct way of saying "this fic is dead". :|

Genres:

Action
Adventure
Drama
Romance/Slice of Life (Indicate Which)
Origin
Comedy
Parody
Crossover
Mystery and Suspense
Poetry
Collections of Stories
Miscellaneous Stories and Other Works

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 10:24:19 PM »
Tossing this one back on the pile. I am not Dark Souls enough to really commentate on it:   http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,13429.0.html

Edit: I'll trade with someone. But not a long one. Fuck you if you try to saddle me with another long one. The one long one I got already was horrific and I will never forgive it.

Nicktendonick

• guess the IRC ban wasn't a big enough hint
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 04:03:15 AM »
I love dark souls, so I'll take it. You can take one of mine, a Touhoumon story that's only a few replies long.  http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,14888.0.html
It's really really short, so enjoy.

As a matter of fact, all of mine are really really short. All are a page long, nothing is bigger then that. I should be relieved, but I also feel somewhat disappointed about that. If someone's workload is too much, I'll be willing to take up one of your long ones.

Joveus Molai

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 04:39:33 AM »
Tossing this one back on the pile. I am not Dark Souls enough to really commentate on it:   http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,13429.0.html

You should see if you can press-gang Amra into summarizing it :V

Joveus Molai

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 12:20:07 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but quick question...

For all fics created by Guests with no obvious author names given, who should we put down as the author? Just "Guest"?

Tengukami

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 12:44:46 AM »
A guest is a deactivated account. I would go with "Author Unknown", and edit in a name if someone remembers who wrote it later.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 12:55:16 AM »
How's everyone doing?  Staring at three page self insert fics yet?  Well it's time to report your progress (and or pain) to the fairy so we can redistribute those works which cause meguka level suffering if needed.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 01:00:37 AM »
I've been stalling at three fics left for the past few days. One is extremely long, one is decently long, and another is actually complete. Once I get off this writing kick I'd probably be finished in a day or two.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Joveus Molai

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 01:12:53 AM »
I'm finished with my batch. I'd be happy to take up any left over/stalled stuff if need be.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 04:53:11 AM »
I've been knocked over flat with a bad stomach bug, which has left me writhing about in bed and trying desperately not to throw up. Now that it's not so severe I can get some momentum going.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 04:57:44 AM »
Oh, yeah, that doesn't help you guys, does it.

I've read through about half of my list - I'm rather surprised at how short some of these are - but haven't gotten around to writing up the summary tabs.

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 08:12:06 AM »
I'm actually down to three left, but you probably already know what's keeping me. I should have it wrapped up before the weekend along with schoolwork.

Tengukami

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 11:59:39 PM »
I will be done by the end of the weekend. I like my assignments!