Author Topic: Microsoft secretly paying Youtubers for positive reviews about Xbox One  (Read 4342 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Totalbiscuit talks about it,

As does Ars Technica and The Wall Street Journal.
-
No Microsoft...Staph.

Sad Microsoft is sad....
Remember when they tried to pay third-party developers not to show games on PS4 at E3 2013.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:51:38 PM by Tengukami »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Re: Microsoft secretly paying Youtubers for positive reviews about Xbox One
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 10:41:39 AM »
Is there an estimate on how many idiots have taken part in this?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 04:59:32 PM »
Not that I don't think YouTube is a peerless and irreproachable news source, but is there by any chance a non-YouTube source for this allegation?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 05:20:59 PM »
The video's description has a few links to other websites with articles on it
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Tengukami

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:50:35 PM »
The video's description has a few links to other websites with articles on it
I'll just take the liberty of adding those to the OP.

e: Done. Also wow. It's like Microsoft, bored with its own monopoly, is deliberately trying to torpedo themselves just to see what would happen.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:52:40 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »
By the sounds of it this is an FTC violation (it's exactly like one of the examples given in their guidebook) and is illegal across Europe as well.
if it's an ad or uses a product provided by the company, it must be clearly indicated that is so.
This applies all the way down to things like single tweets.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 06:19:01 PM »
On the other hand, has Microsoft ever actually been subject to the law?

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 06:25:28 PM »
e: Done. Also wow. It's like Microsoft, bored with its own monopoly, is deliberately trying to torpedo themselves just to see what would happen.

Haven't they been doing this since Vista?

Anyway, I can't say I'm particularly surprised by this. Companies have been finding ways to shape public opinion of their products since forever, and I generally rely on direct word-of-mouth for gaming opinions these days anyway.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
On the other hand, has Microsoft ever actually been subject to the law?
They've been sued by the US for being a monopoly before, yeah, but only for Internet Explorer (which is a laughingstock among most internet denizens anyway)

Although I think you'll find that the technology industry is relatively Laissez-faire regardless. Bad for monopolies, good for progress

Microsoft has pretty stiff competition in games with Sony and Nintendo anyway, and somewhat-less-stiff competition with Apple and Linux in the OS wars.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 08:22:21 PM »
They've been sued by the US for being a monopoly before, yeah, but only for Internet Explorer (which is a laughingstock among most internet denizens anyway)

The EU have sued them repeatedly for bundling IE with Windows.
That was a suit due to the monopoly with windows, not IE; misusing it to shove the crappy browser down our throats.

MSs OS competition is mostly android. Phones and tablets ARE PCs now, more so than netbooks ever managed. There's still the bigger monopoly of MS office and Outlook to deal with though.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 10:12:12 PM »
That was a suit due to the monopoly with windows, not IE; misusing it to shove the crappy browser down our throats.

MSs OS competition is mostly android. Phones and tablets ARE PCs now, more so than netbooks ever managed. There's still the bigger monopoly of MS office and Outlook to deal with though.
I wholeheartedly disagree that tablets or phones are comparable to an actual work computer (they aren't made for typing lots of things, for one). Tablets are probably going to be a fad or a niche-use computer.  I do recognize that Google is pretty big competition for M$ these days, however
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 10:22:29 PM »
The real question is how the rest of us can get in on the money train.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 10:38:55 PM »
The real question is how the rest of us can get in on the money train.
Become a patent troll?

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 10:57:12 PM »

Except the maximum penalty for the type of law they are breaking is literally 25,000 Euros; which to Microsoft is a slap on the wrist.

With a feather.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 01:16:04 AM »
Laissez-faire regardless. Bad for monopolies, good for progress

This is so wrong I literally want to strangle you with my degree. I want to commit actual violence upon you for this error.

Tengukami

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 01:36:58 AM »
Microsoft has pretty stiff competition in games with Sony and Nintendo anyway, and somewhat-less-stiff competition with Apple and Linux in the OS wars.
I'm a Linux user and will be the first to admit there is no "OS war". Microsoft has a virtual monopoly. The invisible hand of the market is fisting the world with the IE logo tattooed right on the middle finger.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 02:10:03 AM »
I can honestly say i am pretty sure ive seen some of these in the comments section. Back when the xbone was still less than a week old I recall seeing hundreds of comments on game related videos talking about how we are at the golden age of gaming because of the xbone, it is by far the best system ever, blah blah.
The only reasonably believable alternative i can imagine is jut hardcore xbox fanboys bsing up the yinyang just to support their system. But i doubted that cuz fanboism works both ways and i saw ZERO such comments with the same level of bs as the xbone. Plus i saw some o these comments that in videos that weren't even discussing consoles at all!

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 07:40:00 AM »
The actual scandal isn't Microsoft but Machinima since they're the ones who made the contracts that included the non-disclosure clauses.

From what I gather, MS is trying to distance themselves from this as fast as they can.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »
Except the maximum penalty for the type of law they are breaking is literally 25,000 Euros; which to Microsoft is a slap on the wrist.

With a feather.
It's likely  ?25 000 per case i.e. video, and to Machinima that likely isn't small.

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »
I'm a Linux user and will be the first to admit there is no "OS war". Microsoft has a virtual monopoly. The invisible hand of the market is fisting the world with the IE logo tattooed right on the middle finger.
Seconded, mostly because it turns out to be like this: "So you want a computer, huh? Well, if you're artsy and have lots of money to spend on pointless proprietary hardware, get a Mac. Otherwise, get a Windows machine. And don't get Linux unless you already know Linux."

Really, what gave Microsoft the virtual monopoly in the first place is that it's (comparatively) cheap since you don't need specialized hardware and their Windows is generally user-friendly. To my knowledge, what originally got them in trouble was that they were bundling their Internet Explorer with their OS and it's not like there were any good alternatives for Windows at the time anyway.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:47:09 AM by Raekuul »
The ultimate joke would be making Wriggle an EX Boss, but there being a game-breaking bug in her final spellcard that made it impossible to catch.

Think about it for a second...