Author Topic: WE'RE NAKED AND IT JUST SAVED EVERYTHING! [Kill la Kill Thread]  (Read 173528 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Re: It didn't just SAVE anime [Kill la Kill Thread]
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »
Damn people...you guys got all serious about the show, fanservice, and boobies.

This kind of thing isn't rare nowadays and it's meant to attract male viewers, with the other side of attracting female once, considering that the main character is a woman.
It is offensive in a way...yes, but it's probably a way to show a woman's pride, rather than being embarrassed about it. Thinking of it like how a man with a toned body strips his clothes off.

Anyways, if this were dangerous in any way, like promoting rape, I'm sure the dozens or even hundreds of animes and even mangas we've already watched should've made us into beasts by now. It's like how some parents describe video games that promote violence, which is clearly stupid. Sure it's bloody as hell, but they won't just run amok murdering everyone.

The thing is it's all in how people see it. Not all of us has the same mindset. You see it as promoting sex, some find if intriguing, some offended, some even fascinated, while others just see it as the plain same old same old fanservice that's been happening in almost every anime, like me!

If people give in to their sexual urges, masturbate for sexual gratification, rape, or have plain sex, then it's their own fault for having no control. Shows can't control you, even if they have those "subliminal messages" and whatnot. You're a fool for being fooled.

One thing can't actually just influence someone in an instant, it needs to be a set of things/events that will gradually make a person into that someone. If a person raped someone, I'm pretty sure it's not just some show is his reason for doing so.
---
...And here I am still noticing that Ryuuko is Simon, and Aikuro is Kamina.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:07:51 PM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
...And here I am still noticing that Ryuuko is Simon, and Aikuro is Kamina.
How? Aikuro is hardly the burning-spirit warrior that Kamina was, and Ryuuko has been fighting since the beginning whereas Simon had to be goaded into it over time.

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2013, 04:02:44 PM »
Trigger Magazine e-letters uploaded onto danbooru (yes danbooru warning) Some commentary with keyframes from the episodes. This caught my notice the most though:

How did everyone like the 3rd episode of KILL la KILL? 3rd episode and it's a climax already. Aren't we rushing it a little too much? Won't we burn out of ideas? You guys have nothing to worry about! We got a whole load of awesome left in our reservoir!

hypehypehypehype

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2013, 06:49:27 PM »
Anyways, if this were dangerous in any way, like promoting rape, I'm sure the dozens or even hundreds of animes and even mangas we've already watched should've made us into beasts by now. It's like how some parents describe video games that promote violence, which is clearly stupid. Sure it's bloody as hell, but they won't just run amok murdering everyone.
Sorry to be that guy, but I just want to make a slight clarification that "promotes rape culture" doesn't generally mean "turns people into rapists"; it means that the thing reflects or promotes the attitudes associated with an existing rape culture. But I haven't seen Kill La Kill yet so I can't comment on the subject one way or the other.

Personally, I think it's awesome and fun to "overthink" ostensibly mindless anime. Like don't even get me started on how Arakawa Under The Bridge is a clever and biting criticism of Japan's strict hierarchical socio-economic structure.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2013, 08:12:14 PM »
I basically saw the Kamina likeness as soon as his glasses went off, haha

Definitely lots of shout-outs to previous gainax anime, esp Gurenn Lagann.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2013, 09:47:28 PM »
How? Aikuro is hardly the burning-spirit warrior that Kamina was...

That we know of. If he doesn't fight somebody at some point while screaming with his shirt off I'm gonna be a little disappointed.

Also, what do you think the odds are that he's the main/a major villain? Dude's super suspicious. So my call of the show is that he's evil, and one of the other guys I've been consistently watching this with one of them has money on Uzu being secretly a good guy/eventual romantic interest.

Sorry to be that guy, but I just want to make a slight clarification that "promotes rape culture" doesn't generally mean "turns people into rapists"; it means that the thing reflects or promotes the attitudes associated with an existing rape culture. But I haven't seen Kill La Kill yet so I can't comment on the subject one way or the other.

Personally, I think it's awesome and fun to "overthink" ostensibly mindless anime. Like don't even get me started on how Arakawa Under The Bridge is a clever and biting criticism of Japan's strict hierarchical socio-economic structure.

I agree with all of your applicable words.

I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2013, 10:09:23 PM »

I just want to drop in to say that Arakawa Under the Bridge is an absolutely brilliant anime. It has a good amount of both social criticism as well as mindless fun, combined into a perfectly blended mixture of clever and witty dialog.

More on topic: This show may have a little too much references for me to catch them all, but they're a nice touch during the times when I do recognize them. For those who might have missed it in episode 1, here's a diebuster reference  that I thought was pretty cool.

also, satsuki's ass > ryuuko's boobs

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »
I just want to drop in to say that Arakawa Under the Bridge is an absolutely brilliant anime. It has a good amount of both social criticism as well as mindless fun, combined into a perfectly blended mixture of clever and witty dialog.

More on topic: This show may have a little too much references for me to catch them all, but they're a nice touch during the times when I do recognize them. For those who might have missed it in episode 1, here's a diebuster reference  that I thought was pretty cool.

also, satsuki's ass > ryuuko's boobs

Aw man, I did miss that. Love Diebuster. That's super cool.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2013, 01:18:10 AM »
How? Aikuro is hardly the burning-spirit warrior that Kamina was, and Ryuuko has been fighting since the beginning whereas Simon had to be goaded into it over time.
Not really personality-wise, but in appearance. I re-looked some photos of Kamina, and looked at Aikuro, they pretty much look similar. With the only noticeable differences are longer hair length, and a significantly muscular body tone. Put Kamina's glasses, and there, you got yourself a Kamina reference.

Ryuuko is like the gender and personality opposite of Simon. Wearing also the "seemingly" same colors as he does.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2013, 01:28:07 AM »
Out of curiosity, how much of having seen the series they reference is a part of enjoying this?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2013, 01:51:39 AM »
Out of curiosity, how much of having seen the series they reference is a part of enjoying this?

For me it's almost none. I probably haven't seen most of the series they reference. It definitely has a lot going on on a few levels, and that's among the least of them.

Drake

« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2013, 01:57:17 AM »
Not much. The reasons people talk about the references and similarities is purely because those shows were great and this show is similarly great.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2013, 03:08:49 AM »
Not at all, since it's referencing so many series at once, in story, style and tone. They end up referencing so many that some of the references (Kekko Kamen) fly under the radar for most viewers.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2013, 03:22:31 AM »
Kekko Kamen

Hahaha yes I'm glad someone else picked up on this.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2013, 03:58:50 AM »
Hahaha yes I'm glad someone else picked up on this.
I've been thinking it's a Go Nagai tribute more than a Gainax tribute since the beginning.  I love Go Nagai and all, but that so many people miss out on those references make me worried for future anime generations.

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2013, 08:01:02 AM »
Always thought aikuro had more of a aizen parody with the taking off glasses = increase powerlevel

forgot where source was but apparently tomorrow's ep is comedy(obviously) cant remember bout 5 and 6 but 7 is about mako and 8 is new arc or something. hype

Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »
watched a livestream of epi 4 without subs

Spoiler:

BUDGET ALL WENT TO EPISODE 5, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL

NONONNNNNNNNNNN

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2013, 07:21:08 PM »
So I have yet to see a statement about how many episodes there are supposed to be. Is this a known thing and I missed it? I'd be fine with 13 or 24 I guess.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2013, 09:33:33 PM »
Omigosh I must've enjoyed this ep the most so far.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2013, 10:48:02 PM »
lol, dafuq did I just watch... this episode 4 made me laugh hard at least three times. It was just so silly and absurd... seems like it was entirely focused on comedy factor, which contrasts Ep 3 that was more serious due to the battle of Ryuuko x Satsuki (but it still had some comedy as well).

That aside, I wonder if Satsuki's Kamui can talk like Senketsu. At least it hasn't said a word so far.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2013, 12:12:45 AM »
Best low budget episode.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
Didn't expect filler so soon, but at least it was really amusing.

That aside, I wonder if Satsuki's Kamui can talk like Senketsu. At least it hasn't said a word so far.
It probably can, but presumably only Satsuki can hear it, if only Ryoko being able to hear Senketsu is any indication.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2013, 02:30:11 AM »
meanwhile half of mako's family is dead

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2013, 02:50:29 AM »
This episode was solid gold

I fucking lost it at the blue danube part

Also 2lewd girl is my waifu

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2013, 03:06:41 AM »
can senketsu be a waifu/husbando even tho not human

pls

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »
can senketsu be a waifu/husbando even tho not human

pls

Yes yes yes by all means yes.
Congregation of Impertinent Drama Queens.

Art threadLivestream | Pixiv

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
You know, Ryuuko is the best fucking thing to come out of japan ever since Hakurei Reimu, but this show has a distinct lack of Nonon

I need me some more Nonon
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2013, 01:28:02 AM »
You know, Ryuuko is the best fucking thing to come out of japan ever since Hakurei Reimu, but this show has a distinct lack of Nonon

I need me some more Nonon

Nonon in the preview motherfucker awwww yeeeeah
Congregation of Impertinent Drama Queens.

Art threadLivestream | Pixiv

« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2013, 01:43:58 AM »
I honestly doubt it's much more complex than that, and I would be frankly amazed if they were actually trying to make some kind of nuanced commentary on gender politics.

Unless this really is trying to be Cutie Honey, which was a commentary on gender politics.

Thematically this looks to be Imaishi flat out trying to do a Go Nagai show, or maybe a deconstruction as per Gurren Laggan.
No way to tell until it progresses furthe;, either way it's probably going to be covering objectification and gender politics as a theme.