Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project  (Read 469085 times)

Re: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project
« Reply #630 on: May 16, 2015, 04:15:32 AM »
As my wife will tell you with enthusiasm, I completely suck at finding anything.. the last update I found in this thread (page 20) has the same timestamp as the files posted in the first post, doesn't seem to do the trick.  Maybe I missed it though.

I tried your suggestion and hit the ignore button, and it crashed anyway; still no dice :(  Any other ideas?

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #631 on: May 16, 2015, 07:33:33 AM »
Try passing the rock while you are playing in the unpatched version. It works all the time...for me at least.

« Reply #632 on: May 18, 2015, 04:39:37 AM »
I should mention that this isn't a rock issue.  This actually happens when I take the stairs to 21F, vs the rocks that block the stairs from 20F to 21F.

Edit: I got it figured out.  Turns out some of the files in my data folder were corrupted.  Woo!  Post game, here I come!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:14:06 PM by vetokend »

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #633 on: November 03, 2016, 04:35:20 AM »
With the recent announcement of the plus-disc release date being in december, does the original team have any plans to potentially translate it as well?

« Reply #634 on: November 03, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
With the recent announcement of the plus-disc release date being in december, does the original team have any plans to potentially translate it as well?

I'm here. I can dump the contents as soon as I buy the game (I assume it'll be on melonbooks dl; it usually is). However, I really don't recommend any kind of serious work on it until there's been a few patches, because there's always a few patches. And those really mess things up.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #635 on: November 03, 2016, 12:54:52 PM »
And I imagine it doesn't hurt that a large portion of the non-dialogue data was already both mined and translated from the demo, from all the new character's skill lists to the item/achievement/floor/subclass info. (Of course, there's still the matter of re-inserting it into the actual release, checking it's the same, etc.) But then there's dialogue, etc, basically everything that goes beyond merely a gameplay-only grade patch.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #636 on: November 11, 2016, 10:33:11 PM »
december release date? oh god why is this year so brutal to my gaming funds. Seriously, best (worst?) year ever?

« Reply #637 on: January 02, 2017, 09:55:01 PM »
I haven't been paying too much attention to these forums so I have no idea what tools other people have. I know they've been examining exe string dumps at least.

Regardless, here's my contribution.

img3.dxa images with text:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/92rby455g0k7f70/LoT2PlusDisk_img3.rar

Stringdump of the executable:
https://www.mediafire.com/?aotei03daoj5a7e

Stringdump is of the original, 1.101, with none of the previously translated text in it. I'll try and remember how my tools for moving between versions work next week. Plus there might be more patches before then. img3, at least, isn't going to change.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #638 on: January 03, 2017, 02:30:30 AM »
I'm at home for winter break so time is less on my side, but I might be able to do some rough translations on the stuff that's been mostly skipped over. As it stands, I know RegalStar did all the main and sub equips back when I datamined that back in the trial, so that oughta be good for those (I can just copy-paste those), but I can do some other stuff that's been skipped over. Obviously this is all gonna be moot once stuff gets patched again within the next couple days but at least until then I'll try to get some of the miscellaneous stuff done and posted here.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #639 on: January 03, 2017, 05:28:49 AM »
For what it's worth, you can probably safely wait until feburary to start actually working on any sort of modification of the game files, since that's when the last of the announced patches is coming out.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #640 on: January 05, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »
New patch is out.

EDIT: 00CF3E50: RANisGOD hahahaha
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:00:22 PM by RegalStar »

« Reply #641 on: January 06, 2017, 01:52:05 AM »
EDIT: 00CF3E50: RANisGOD hahahaha

Yeah that's the decryption key for the archives.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #642 on: January 06, 2017, 01:51:21 PM »
Qaz, can you give me the images of the monsters? It's easier to translate/make up names when I can see what they are, especially since there are 28-30F/B11F monsters that have yet to actually show up in-game.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #643 on: January 06, 2017, 05:32:19 PM »
Here ya go, DXExtract working wonders as usual. :V

https://mega.nz/#!QEQh0aBZ!6WKTdgl3D-MeHQgQLJt9ma2Pcht44ONyDmKwEZb2BUE

The enemy names are right in the file names, so that makes it even easier.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #644 on: January 07, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »
When it comes to translating the names of passives that show up in battle next to buff slots, it'd be good to keep in mind there isn't a lot of space for them.

Futo, Shou, and Mamizou all have relevant counter skills where it's useful to see the level, plus perhaps Mamizou's element transformation, Miko's versions of appointed stateswoman, kokoro masks, etc... jeez. Keine and Meiling had some added too now, I think. Renko's can probably be shortened to Moon Reading/Star Reading. Although apparently they combine into one skill??? I've never found any evidence here or on jp wiki to suggest you can only have Moon OR Stars. "Moon/Star Read"? I'unno, it's pretty cramped.

Apart from that, the plus disk character page on the wiki has a couple suggestions for shortening the first three new character's really long passive skill descriptions so they fit in the box. Futo's two offering skills are still likely too long but they can just have some words chopped off in their current form, I think.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 07:50:02 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #645 on: January 07, 2017, 11:19:42 PM »
There's an apostrophe in the game title. That wasn't there before, right?

Also I have no sound in the plus disk. I don't think I broke anything... odd.

Files and updated string dump:
https://www.mediafire.com/?xzivbaed42yhvl5

This includes the file structure used at the end of basegame translations... however I notice that many of the files also had comments and the original text in them. These were not kept, only the explicit string references. e.x.:

Entering 1F (You already did it, but it was there, so I included it)
(Merged the two together essentially. ~Deranged)
00881710: C'mon, Keine. Stop glaring at him so that we can get@started.
ホラ、慧音睨まないの。@さぁさぁ、先に進むわよ。
00885660: Nothing. You're reading too much into it.
いや、深い意味は込めてないが。

Everything but the 00881710: and 00885660:  are gone, and the order of the lines (which was also altered to be more natural) is lost.

Should this be kept? For the maingame story files, I don't think it'd be that important, since the translation is already done. But I imagine the translators will want to add more such comments, and they'd be lost again with every new version.

I assume what would be wanted is that everything in the file is kept the same, with only the hex addresses being updated. All comments, the line order, etc would remain untouched. Can a translator chime in on this, before I actually start modifying my tools?

Finally, Stuff in translation files that couldn't be found in the new string dump:
http://pastebin.com/mQCJX7Tc

Kuilfrayt, can you update the OP with the img3 dump and maybe also the current string dump?

Also, regarding shortening text to make it fit, I'm going to re-link the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vR20aEpXUYtEfoz12Vure-TBsuMWCOiINFXXNtmRABU/edit#gid=7
Please try to put any such changes in here so we can keep track of them.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #646 on: January 08, 2017, 01:01:09 AM »
When it comes to translating the names of passives that show up in battle next to buff slots, it'd be good to keep in mind there isn't a lot of space for them.

Futo, Shou, and Mamizou all have relevant counter skills where it's useful to see the level, plus perhaps Mamizou's element transformation, Miko's versions of appointed stateswoman, kokoro masks, etc... jeez. Keine and Meiling had some added too now, I think. Renko's can probably be shortened to Moon Reading/Star Reading. Although apparently they combine into one skill??? I've never found any evidence here or on jp wiki to suggest you can only have Moon OR Stars. "Moon/Star Read"? I'unno, it's pretty cramped.

Apart from that, the plus disk character page on the wiki has a couple suggestions for shortening the first three new character's really long passive skill descriptions so they fit in the box. Futo's two offering skills are still likely too long but they can just have some words chopped off in their current form, I think.

The problem with level-less effects that come with skills (like Ability to Read the Moon) is that the game uses a single string for both the effect AND the skill name, which means that it's either off-the-screen length on the effect column OR ridiculously butchered short names on the skill menus. Since they're all levelless, I would rather go with the former since players who are getting those effects would have made a conscious choice in investing in the related skills.

Effects that DO have level (or some other conditions) displayed like Fighting Spirit (as demonstrated), or Mamizou's elemental transformation and Miko's Stateswoman effects are unaffected by this, and they will have both a long skill name for the skill menu and short effect names to make them displayble in battle.

Also for the new patch, the apostrophe is part of the patch number (1.102`). This is because there was an emergency tiny bugfix after 1.102 proper. I don't know why 3peso named it that way but yeah.

EDIT: Preliminary "important stuff" translations.. No dialogues and no "decorative" description texts, but it should have enough to let people understand what they're doing. A tab-separated table for people who want to look over what I did.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:38:03 AM by RegalStar »

« Reply #647 on: January 08, 2017, 02:59:29 AM »
The problem with level-less effects that come with skills (like Ability to Read the Moon) is that the game uses a single string for both the effect AND the skill name, which means that it's either off-the-screen length on the effect column OR ridiculously butchered short names on the skill menus. Since they're all levelless, I would rather go with the former since players who are getting those effects would have made a conscious choice in investing in the related skills.

This is fixable, but it's the kind of thing that needs to be done dead last. I can edit the exe to display a different, shorter string in gameplay while using the full length in menus. But that's not something I can transfer over to a new patch, so I'm not going to do anything until 3peso is 100% finished patching the game.

i.e. just record it in the spreadsheet and it'll get fixed ~later~

« Reply #648 on: January 08, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »
Should this be kept? For the maingame story files, I don't think it'd be that important, since the translation is already done. But I imagine the translators will want to add more such comments, and they'd be lost again with every new version.

I assume what would be wanted is that everything in the file is kept the same, with only the hex addresses being updated. All comments, the line order, etc would remain untouched. Can a translator chime in on this, before I actually start modifying my tools?

I personally have no issues if the non-hex-addresses are removed - I have all the original text files somewhere in my HDD anyway, so I can refer to those if I need the other misc. notes that would be removed.

(I do plan to work on this, but probably not till after the full content patches are released at the very minimum, and probably another month or more after for the inevitable bugfix patches)

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #649 on: January 08, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »
Also I have no sound in the plus disk. I don't think I broke anything... odd.
This tripped a lot of people up. They changed the scale for sound, so you need to turn it waaaaay up in the options. Overall a decent change because the scale went from quiet to loud awfully quick before, but since it keeps the old now-inaudible setting, it's kind of confusing.

This is fixable, but it's the kind of thing that needs to be done dead last. I can edit the exe to display a different, shorter string in gameplay while using the full length in menus.
Oh neat! It's just nice to hear that eventually, I won't have a semi-permanent stamp telling me that all my characters possess the supernatural Ability To Read. :I (Since Renko's ability displays on everyone else in the party, even when she's in the back)       

edit:Actually now I'm just mildly confused, because she has TWO different passives, but only one thing shows up. Mostly for the sake of burning curiosity, I'm going to test in the jp version. Aaand... whether you learn one skill, or just the other, or both, it always just says the one that translates as "Ability to Read the Stars". Which I guess makes sense as Renko's canon ability is reading the stars, even if this is mildly confusing. Star Reading/Moon Reading are still decent "until we do that minor fix" stopgap translations (it just cuts out "Ability to ___ the") but either way I'll get over it, not a big deal~
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:49:46 PM by Serela »

« Reply #650 on: April 03, 2017, 01:16:26 AM »
Any updates on this?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #651 on: April 03, 2017, 03:51:54 AM »
Before translating they're waiting on 3peso to put out the big patch containing most of the rest of the game's content (there's still several floors missing, apart from most of the infinite corridor), but whilst the patch was announced for mid-january, well, it hasn't happened so far >.> So... there's no telling when it'll be, at this point.

« Reply #652 on: April 04, 2017, 02:49:47 AM »
Ah, I wasn't aware that the purported patch hasn't come out yet. Wonder what's taking so long?

« Reply #653 on: April 04, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »
Probably the same thing that took him like 4 years to release the base plus disk.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #654 on: April 05, 2017, 06:30:13 AM »
Which in of itself is unknown as well right?

I'm guessing it's just game dev burnout.

« Reply #655 on: April 26, 2017, 12:42:07 AM »
Hello, any progress on this? Given that 3peso is apparently MIA (with the final patch at least 2 months late), I was hoping eventually somebody would translate this without waiting for a patch which might or might not come... Especially since there's plenty of content to experience as it is in the PD, right?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #656 on: April 26, 2017, 07:28:40 AM »
Read up like 4 posts. the question and answer was less than a month ago. It's true that a lot of content is available and untranslated, but they'll have to redo it all over again (probably) after a patch. Given they aren't getting paid to do it, it's understandable they don't want to at this point.

I feel your pain though, I'm refreshing every day =P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:30:16 AM by Ghaleon »

« Reply #657 on: April 26, 2017, 09:16:32 AM »
Read up like 4 posts. the question and answer was less than a month ago. It's true that a lot of content is available and untranslated, but they'll have to redo it all over again (probably) after a patch. Given they aren't getting paid to do it, it's understandable they don't want to at this point.

I feel your pain though, I'm refreshing every day =P

Why would they have to redo it, really? Most likely, the upcoming patch will simply add new content, not changing the pre-existing one. Maybe some numbers of abilities/passives etc. will change, but I don't see why 3peso would change in a major way the names, the dialogues or the plot in general

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #658 on: April 26, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »
Why? I'm not sure.  But given they were patching the trial version, every time the trial got updated, it ruined their patches every time and they'd have to redo it. Something like that, I don't really recall the details. Given how regularly Bane and Deranged work on these patches and how reliable they are, I see no reason why they'd make up some random excuse unless it was a good one though.

« Reply #659 on: April 26, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »
Well, I sorta expected that most of the work would have been actually translating the content, rather than implementing it in the game. But maybe it's more complicated than it seems (judging for example by how the English patch caused some crashes in LoT2). If updates really cause all the work to be "thrown away", I can understand. It does sound odd to me that it does, but I'll admit I'm not especially expert on these matters (like, I have dabbled in hexes with some old games, but back then things were much simpler).