Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project  (Read 467029 times)

Re: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project
« Reply #420 on: July 09, 2014, 08:35:23 PM »
??そろそろ来る頃だと思ったわ。
0087E6A4: ......I'll think about it when the time comes.
0087E6A4: ...I figured you would be coming anytime now.

The second one is correct.

« Reply #421 on: July 09, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
ok, thanks.

Comparing Meiryo in notepad to in thLaby confirms that yes, it is the font being used. At least in Japanese locale. Asking people not in Japanese locale suggests that the font is installed in Windows Vista and above, but "hidden". I have no idea if this means that a program trying to use it will not be able to, or if you just can't select it for use in notepad or whatever.

So, I need a volunteer. Someone who is actually getting the fixed-width font. First, I need a screenshot (preferably of the same line as in Deranged's, to make things easier). I also want to try sending them a new exe that changes the font name from Japanese (メイリオ) to English (Meiryo). I have no idea if it will change anything, but it's possible that not being in Japanese locale prevents it from understanding メイリオ, so maybe Meiryo will work fine.

As I said before, IRC would be ideal for volunteering, since it's easier than PMing/posting here/email/etc.

« Reply #422 on: July 10, 2014, 02:07:42 AM »
I'm getting the fixed width font and can check what you need.

burger.sandwich.net/temp/LoT2_screenshot_sanae_fixedwidth.png

It looks like a few of the strings actually take up more space in the variable width font, which might make this kind of a pain in the ass.  Sanae's name fits on the screen on my computer, heh.  Other than the character name, everything else in this screenshot takes up more space in fixed width, except for "MND Boost" which makes sense because of the all-caps.

You can harass me on irc.synirc.net as LockeZ, or on AIM or Skype as FF3LockeZ.

Also, after looking into the matter, Meiryo is not bundled with Windows XP, which is why I am getting the fixed width font (MS Gothic?) even in Japanese locale.  It's a free download from Microsoft though, so I'm going to grab it so I can easily switch back and forth between fixed-width and variable-width for testing purposes.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:15:16 AM by LockeZ »

« Reply #423 on: July 10, 2014, 03:01:42 AM »
ok, it should be fixed, with LockeZ's confirmation, but I would appreciate confirmation for Win7/8/Vista as well, just to be absolutely certain.

Just need someone who is getting the full-width version because they are not in Japanese locale. Use this exe: https://www.mediafire.com/?w2drzv9vw855zzf
and see if that fixes the problem.

As LockeZ said, XP does not include the Meiryo font, but it is a free download. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10550

Technically speaking, all I did was translate the font names from the Japanese to English names. Specifically:
008E5670: Meiryo
008F1C60: MS Gothic

We can use those to change the font to whatever we want (I assume MS Gothic is considered the backup), but I think Meiryo looks nice and is mostly standard.

« Reply #424 on: July 10, 2014, 07:12:41 AM »
Well, something broke.

When I get the treasure on 8F that says "We've obtained the 「Chitin Shell」 Material 5 times!" the game crashes in the new .exe you gave me.  It loads up an empty text box but crashes before writing the text on it.  Offset 00b0909f, which is more lines than the program actually has...

It doesn't crash in the old .exe that had the untranslated font names, nor in the original Japanese version; I tested both.  The bug was not present, regardless of font or Windows locale, in the old version.  It's a new bug that appeared in the version you just gave me.

Something to do with the Japanese quote marks, I'd guess.  However, the Japanese quote marks work fine for a different chest on the same floor, which gives the message "Obtained Special Item 「Magician's Proof」!"

Additionally, the previous version changed those Japanese quote marks into English quote marks, but the new version doesn't.  Not sure how that works, exactly.  Is it using a different font for the quote marks than for the rest of the text?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:21:54 AM by LockeZ »

« Reply #425 on: July 10, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »
Well that's disappointing. Do you have a save game from right before the crash so we can try to figure something out?

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #426 on: July 10, 2014, 01:23:07 PM »
Hey, good to see that this has been going on very well, I used to do some translation for other Touhou fangames on this board.

Keep up the good work, I'd be happy to serve as a second opinion on translations if it's necessary.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #427 on: July 10, 2014, 01:23:39 PM »
http://burger.sandwich.net/temp/save1.zip

Two treasures are revealed on the map on 8F but not opened yet.  The one further to the right crashes the game.  The one near the center of the map does not.  You can just escape from all battles on the way to them.

The message that crashes the game is the message for receiving several of the same item.  5 Chitin Shells, in this case.  Chitin Shells don't crash the game when viewed in my inventory, so it's not the item name that's the problem.

Oh, I got slightly confused about the quote marks in my post last night, sorry.  The new version is the one that changes them into English quote marks; the previous version didn't.  I'm not sure the difference in quote marks is relevant, since both chests appear to use the same quote marks, and only one of them crashes the game.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:26:46 PM by LockeZ »

« Reply #428 on: July 13, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »
0085F868: The more party members fall in battle, the more the user's stats increase.
-The revision seems like it has a slightly different meaning, but I think I'd need to know exactly how this skill works to be certain.

The skill works like this: When a party member falls in battle, the user gets a buff to all stats.

Phrasing it exactly like that might be clearest?

« Reply #429 on: July 13, 2014, 01:47:24 PM »
So I've been trying to get it to work but when I open the exe in the patch download link it just goes to a small black box and then closes down. Any hints as to why it won't run?

« Reply #430 on: July 13, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »
The crash is caused by the %d and %s being swapped in the pickup message. I've changed them.

Gonna modify my script to warn me if the printf arguments get modified in the future so this doesn't happen.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #431 on: July 13, 2014, 02:42:58 PM »
The skill works like this: When a party member falls in battle, the user gets a buff to all stats.

Phrasing it exactly like that might be clearest?
If you're talking about Last Fortress, this translation would be misleading. The more fallen party members there are, the higher the user's stats are raised by the passive. This translation just sounds like Reimu's main character passive where she gets buffed (similar to a buff spell, not a special separate increase like Last Fort) when someone dies, which isn't the case here.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2014, 04:51:54 PM »
008E0CF8: %sのキャラリセットに、転生の書物を使用しますか?
008E0CF8: Do you wish to use a Tome of Reincarnation?

This line is missing a %s in the translation. Google translate suggests "Use a tome of reincarnation on %s?"
Could someone please confirm?

That should fix all of the mismatched arguments. The code I have isn't perfect, but I don't think the game uses the printf modifiers anyway.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
  • I feed on your tears...
« Reply #433 on: July 13, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »
008E0CF8: %sのキャラリセットに、転生の書物を使用しますか?
008E0CF8: Do you wish to use a Tome of Reincarnation?

This line is missing a %s in the translation. Google translate suggests "Use a tome of reincarnation on %s?"
Could someone please confirm?

That should fix all of the mismatched arguments. The code I have isn't perfect, but I don't think the game uses the printf modifiers anyway.
I would translate it as "Do you wish to use a Tome of Reincarnation for a Character Reset on %s", but before that option, since you are asked: "Performing a character reset for %s.", I think we can just leave it at what it is, unless it causes a problem. If so, we can put "Do you wish to use a Tome of Reincarnation on %s?"
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

Now working with Touhou-Online in French

« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »
I really don't want to have a mismatch between the number of parameter supplied and actually used. I think it won't actually mess with the program stack (especially since no one has reported any issues), but I'd still prefer not risking it.

Going with "...tor on %s?"

« Reply #435 on: July 17, 2014, 11:57:59 AM »
really can't wait to play :p i just can't play a game without story. Hope it will be done soon :pp

« Reply #436 on: July 17, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »
really can't wait to play :p i just can't play a game without story. Hope it will be done soon :pp

Heh I'm chomping at the bit as well.  I've released my Touhou urges through LoT1 though.. not sure why it's fun to beat the 30F boss over and over, but it is.  Maybe I've got a problem...  :wat:

I wish I was able to help with the translation more, but my Japanese is somewhere between nonexistent and terrible.

Veto

Xarizzar

• RPG fan
« Reply #437 on: July 18, 2014, 03:34:28 PM »
not sure why it's fun to beat the 30F boss over and over, but it is.  Maybe I've got a problem...  :wat:
Because he was so hard and required more grinding than the others :P

We should wait for the Plus Disk before making any expectations though. Any of this year's Comikets should be a good release date.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #438 on: July 22, 2014, 06:13:53 PM »
I've noticed that Rinnosuke's item/money drop skills now have an additional part saying that "its effect will be reduced if he's in the reserve" or something like that. Perhaps you guys may want to check if there are any other such changes?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #439 on: July 22, 2014, 11:08:29 PM »
That's been there for quite awhile, actually. As in, I'm pretty sure it happened before the postgame content was added.

As a side-note; when text is changed, it's reverted back to japanese on the english patch until it's re-translated, thankfully, so there should be no mistranslated descriptions.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

dawnbomb

• Adventurer
« Reply #440 on: July 23, 2014, 06:18:36 AM »
the latest patch update ( that was posted on the front page) was a month ago (june 23'd), how are things going?

@Kuilfrayt what floor is your story patch up to now?

and here is to the inevitable expansion not breaking any stats like in Lot1, i imagine it would be interesting to replay Lot1 again if someone did a accuracy/evasion patch so those stats worked, it would be like a whole different game.
There's no way I could love anyone
but i wish to be loved by someone in return

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #441 on: July 23, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
EVA was dumped out in LoT1 because the devs didn't like it and/or because it was crazy imbal with postgame stat scaling. (These are inferred reasons, AFAIK they never stated it explicitly; but it's pretty obvious it couldn't work out at Plus Disk-tier levels, and I think they scrapped eva before plus even came out) They went with a static eva value for characters in LoT2 like a reasonable person.

But just playing through the first 20 floors with eva might be interesting, I suppose. Chen might be like an entirely different character... (Postgame would likely turn into "well shit, nothing actually hits me" because it likely wasn't balanced with overcoming massive eva stats in mind- might still be a lot of 100% hit chance boss moves though I guess)

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #442 on: July 23, 2014, 01:50:24 PM »
The Japanese wiki mentions that evasion was removed because characters with massive evasion can even dodge buffs and heals from allies.
Although I can't really verify whether this is true or not.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:52:38 PM by Sungho »
Signature

Kimidori

• Undefined Fantastic Girl, Nue
« Reply #443 on: July 23, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
The Japanese wiki mentions that evasion was removed because characters with massive evasion can even dodge buffs and heals from allies.
Although I can't really verify whether this is true or not.

if this is true then the problem is bad programming...

"No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement." -Logan M

Xarizzar

• RPG fan
« Reply #444 on: July 23, 2014, 07:35:53 PM »
if this is true then the problem is bad programming...
Nah, they're just lazy. They could have just increased the accuracy of the healing and buffing spells, like the folks that made Disgaea did. Not the easiest thing to do, but they've done harder things, I believe... Although I have heard from people that LoT programmers don't do the best programming, indeed...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:37:39 PM by Xarizzar »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #445 on: July 23, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »
I still think the mechanic would have been borked for Plus Disk, even if I don't know how much it factored into their decision. They had other 100% accuracy moves like Sakuya, so they obviously could have fixed support spells that way.

But I don't have the japanese reading capability to try to say "oh, what Sungho's mentioning was probably just a bug that existed whilst eva was still in", so, yeah. It's hard to imagine they'd use that as a main decision to remove eva, although it might have been a contribution? w/e I should stop talking about things I don't know

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #446 on: July 25, 2014, 03:37:05 AM »
According to JPWiki, the "muda-bana" part of violet muda-bana is actually pronounced as "ada-bana".

« Reply #447 on: July 25, 2014, 05:09:50 PM »
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/87850d4d

Qaz, can you try and insert all the above files in a new patch? Kuil and I have merged all our files, including dialogue up to 11F, oragnized them in a more neat manner, and made a few other changes here and there. I'm expecting the dialogue especially to hit several duplicates though.

« Reply #448 on: July 25, 2014, 05:58:17 PM »
...is there any reason CharacterAttacks was moved out of CharacterSkills?

why 1F-3? Is that a revision number, meaning I can delete the -3?

There's a ton of conflicts in these. Mostly the same line repeated. Currently my program complains if it finds this, but I'll change it to ignore the lines if they're exactly the same.
Some aren't the same, though. If they can be translated the same, let me know which to use. If there does need to be a change based on context.... then things get messy. Make a note of what needs to be changed in the spreadsheet, and I'll work on those when 3peso releases the expansion and all the expected patches.

10F:
008B7578: Hmm, if that's okay with you, then I guess we'll keep it in@mind...
008B7578: Hmm, if that's good with you, then I guess we'll keep it in@mind...
----
0089FAC4: Ahh, yeah. here's the proof that the FOE's been defeated.
0089FAC4: Ahh, here's the proof that the FOE's dead.
----
008B2520: If she's already been havin' a tough time 'round here,@going up higher won't be any easier.
008B2520: If she was havin' trouble with the FOEs here, I doubt@anything good can come out of her going further up.
----
0089BAB8: Mm, okay.
0089BAB8: Mm, fine with me.
----

1F-3.txt.
00881C98: Umm......
00881C98: Hmmmm...
----

2F-2.txt.
00886F28: Ooooh...?
00886F28: Ooohh...
----
2F-2.txt.
00887654: Mm?
00887654: Hm?

3F-3.txt.
0087296C: What's that flower?
0087296C: There's a flower.

5F-2.txt.
0088C220: ......Yeah.
0088C220: ......Oookay.
----
0088947C: Eh, what? You already knew?
0088947C: Eh, what? How did you know?

8F-2.txt.
008AF8F0: What's this bush? It's blocking the path.
008AF8F0: What's this plant? It's blocking the path.
----
008AF858: All the plants around here just regenerate after being@destroyed... I can somewhat tell there's a deep root@somewhere else. How troublesome.
008AF858: All the plants around here just regenerate after being@destroyed... From the looks of it, there must be a deep@root somewhere else. How troublesome.

009EE1B5: What's with this broken umbrella?
should be 0087E814. 009EE1B5 isn't in strdump at all.
Three things total with OtherDialogue. I'm just going to post the updated file:  http://pastebin.com/YLSdQknr

Also,
4F-2:
00890FC4: <Reimu> Ah.
00890FC4: <Remilia> Ah.
008EE100: <Sakuya> Short time no see. It's no surprise to see that@you've made it here with no problems.

The replacement dialogue absolutely should not have the speaker tag in it. These are the only two occurances of this I found, even when checking all files.

There's a large number of conflicts between files too. When these are all sorted out I can make it ignore identical-strings, but I expect there to be a bunch of mismatches too. But first, all of the above need to be fixed.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:05:51 PM by qazmlpok »

« Reply #449 on: July 26, 2014, 12:35:18 AM »
...is there any reason CharacterAttacks was moved out of CharacterSkills?

CharacterSkills is the attack as it shows up in the normal menus, CharacterAttacks is the attack as it shows up in the top-left corner of the screen when used during battle, I believe.

why 1F-3? Is that a revision number, meaning I can delete the -3?

Yes, revision number. Yes, it can be deleted.

10F:
008B7578: Hmm, if that's okay with you, then I guess we'll keep it in@mind...
008B7578: Hmm, if that's good with you, then I guess we'll keep it in@mind...
----
0089FAC4: Ahh, yeah. here's the proof that the FOE's been defeated.
0089FAC4: Ahh, here's the proof that the FOE's dead.
----
008B2520: If she's already been havin' a tough time 'round here,@going up higher won't be any easier.
008B2520: If she was havin' trouble with the FOEs here, I doubt@anything good can come out of her going further up.
----
0089BAB8: Mm, okay.
0089BAB8: Mm, fine with me.
----

1F-3.txt.
00881C98: Umm......
00881C98: Hmmmm...
----

2F-2.txt.
00886F28: Ooooh...?
00886F28: Ooohh...
----
2F-2.txt.
00887654: Mm?
00887654: Hm?

3F-3.txt.
0087296C: What's that flower?
0087296C: There's a flower.

5F-2.txt.
0088C220: ......Yeah.
0088C220: ......Oookay.
----
0088947C: Eh, what? You already knew?
0088947C: Eh, what? How did you know?

8F-2.txt.
008AF8F0: What's this bush? It's blocking the path.
008AF8F0: What's this plant? It's blocking the path.
----
008AF858: All the plants around here just regenerate after being@destroyed... I can somewhat tell there's a deep root@somewhere else. How troublesome.
008AF858: All the plants around here just regenerate after being@destroyed... From the looks of it, there must be a deep@root somewhere else. How troublesome.

Bolded are my preferences. We should be able to stick with one translation for all occurrences of a single string, like LoT1. Noted on the other changes too.