Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project  (Read 466943 times)

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
  • I feed on your tears...
Re: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2013, 01:19:31 AM »
光のかけら was "Light Fragment", it's "Light Crystal" from Whirlo/Xandra no Daibōken: Valkyrie to no Deai
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

Now working with Touhou-Online in French

« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2013, 01:55:57 AM »
We'll also need to change 信じる心 which was translated as "Believing Mind", it's actually "Symbol of Faith", an item in Dragon Quest 4. I don't know the line for it though
短剣スカートメクリ, I put "Skirt-tearing Dagger", it's "Flipskirt Dagger", from Rance Quest
ひのきのぼう was "Cypress Bou", it's "Cypress Stick" from Dragon Quest

Got these. And Light Crystal. Thanks.

Hmm, well, I consulted TVTropes and Jojo wikia for that one, and they listed it as Dark Will.  It would be nice if someone who's familiar with that manga provide an example of how the most popular manga translation handles it, as we should adhere to that.

I put in the chapter and volume it was from, plus a page on imgur that uses the term. I haven't been paying attention to JoJo translations so I don't know if there's multiple groups or something, but I'm assuming this is the best translations around if there are multiple.

I think that's everything for now, so here's a new archive of files.
http://www.mediafire.com/?b0e1ka46l49r0u2

And exe:
http://www.mediafire.com/?99t12rwon6fs2na

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
On the Party Info screen, the Party Average/Maximum Level number runs off the screen, which is useful for those aiming to be within the boss challenge levels (though I suppose the max level is obvious). Could probably just abbreviate as Avg and Max for now.

You also missed my earlier correction:
007E3888: Patchy's Philosopher's Stone

should be

007E3888: Passive Philosopher's Stone

(パッシブ賢者の石)

« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »
On the Party Info screen, the Party Average/Maximum Level number runs off the screen, which is useful for those aiming to be within the boss challenge levels (though I suppose the max level is obvious). Could probably just abbreviate as Avg and Max for now.

You also missed my earlier correction:

Oops. Sorry. Got it now.

Uh, I see average level (I'm thinking of just shortening it to that; I think "party" is implied"), but where is max level?

jaxter0987

• Umiiro Shoujo ni Miserarete
  • Umi is love, Umi is life
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2013, 01:00:10 PM »
Oops. Sorry. Got it now.

Uh, I see average level (I'm thinking of just shortening it to that; I think "party" is implied"), but where is max level?
I think he's just referring to that specific part of the screen and wasn't sure what its actually called.

« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »
I think he's just referring to that specific part of the screen and wasn't sure what its actually called.
No, I mean, I see "Party Average Level x" in game. There's a string in the trans files for "Party Maximum Level %d". But I don't know where this shows up in game.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2013, 01:23:13 PM »
Havent found it either, its probably for something thats not implemented yet

Also, the item "Shrine Maiden's Ema" is called "Miko Board" in Widenyo, but its a fan translation so we can keep our translation if it doesnt take too much space
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:43:01 PM by kuilfrayt »
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »
Havent found it either, its probably for something thats not implemented yet

Also, the item "Shrine Maiden's Ema" is called "Miko Board" in Widenyo, but its a fan translation so we can keep our translation if it doesnt take too much space

"Party Average Level" is used on Normal Mode. "Party Maximum Mode" is used on Hard Mode. Hard Mode uses the max level of your characters to determine if you can fight or not the corresponding boss, instead of the average level of your characters.

« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »
"Party Average Level" is used on Normal Mode. "Party Maximum Mode" is used on Hard Mode. Hard Mode uses the max level of your characters to determine if you can fight or not the corresponding boss, instead of the average level of your characters.

Ahh, got it. Thanks.

Wymar

• ⑨⑨
  • Apathy is a powerful mehtivator.
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2013, 08:11:44 AM »
Fragment of mithril

jaxter0987

« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2013, 09:05:15 AM »
The Transcendent subclass is still translated as Abilities Enhanced, and the item that unlocks the class is also translated this way.
The Strategist's Inspiration Plan skill says it reduces the delay for all actions in game, but on the wiki, it says it reduces the rate at which buffs decay. Which is the correct translation?
I'd assume the one in game would be the correct one but I'm asking just to make sure.

Edit: Some testing indicates that there's no delay reduction but that may be just a bug.

Seems like it actually reduces the rate at which buffs decay.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:02:52 PM by jaxter0987 »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2013, 08:12:46 PM »
Patchoulli's intro dialogue when you start a new game and enter the library for the first time:
Well, I'm not taking your gold for nothing either.

'Gold' should perhaps be made consistent to 'money'.

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2013, 12:13:43 PM »
In the most recent patch, the name of one of the main equipments was missed.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g229/Krimsun_Munkey/SomethingSomethingMetronome_zps0a245d44.png
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Xarizzar

• RPG fan
« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »
Hmm... I do believe that item is called "Tokyo Metronome" ("東京メトロノーム"). By the way, is "Party Average Level" (The text) going to change or are we going to wait for a font to be decided, so that we can see our average level?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:28:37 PM by Xarizzar95 »

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »
Kogasa's 暢気 (Easygoing) skill description was translated wrong.
When she uses concentrate, she heals double her HP regen. Back row HP regen doesn't change.

Nazrin's 命蓮寺関係者(Myouren Temple Personnel)
She actually copies Byakuren's buffs, if Byakuren's buffs are higher than her's.

Kaguya's, Eirin's, and Reisen's 'Ignore part of defense at a cost of a 75% chance of using 1MP at the skill holder's turn'
I'm quite sure the defense-ignoring part works every time.

Some skill names also have small translation errors, but I guess it doesn't matter too much. It's not like it's detrimental to gameplay or anything.
Signature

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #165 on: September 12, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »
Hmm... I do believe that item is called "Tokyo Metronome" ("東京メトロノーム").
I'm trying to look what they translated it as in the fan translation of the game, though it's probably gonna stay the same.

Kogasa's 暢気 (Easygoing) skill description was translated wrong.
When she uses concentrate, she heals double her HP regen. Back row HP regen doesn't change.

Nazrin's 命蓮寺関係者(Myouren Temple Personnel)
She actually copies Byakuren's buffs, if Byakuren's buffs are higher than her's.

Kaguya's, Eirin's, and Reisen's 'Ignore part of defense at a cost of a 75% chance of using 1MP at the skill holder's turn'
I'm quite sure the defense-ignoring part works every time.

Some skill names also have small translation errors, but I guess it doesn't matter too much. It's not like it's detrimental to gameplay or anything.
I've seen Kaguya's, Eirin's and Reisen's not consume MP at the start of a turn, and the damage doesn't seem to change, so it might be bugged

Xarizzar

• RPG fan
« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2013, 05:04:43 PM »
I'm trying to look what they translated it as in the fan translation of the game, though it's probably gonna stay the same.
Oh, is this a reference? I didn't know. I just translated it from my crappy Japanese knowledge, if there is another official translation(I doubt it, judging from your post), we should use that instead.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »
I've seen Kaguya's, Eirin's and Reisen's not consume MP at the start of a turn, and the damage doesn't seem to change, so it might be bugged
That's what it's supposed to do. The translation for the description was wrong.
Signature

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »
Oh, is this a reference? I didn't know. I just translated it from my crappy Japanese knowledge, if there is another official translation(I doubt it, judging from your post), we should use that instead.
Its called Widenyo, but for anything that is not an official translation/localization, I would say we can use our own translation without problems.

That's what it's supposed to do. The translation for the description was wrong.
I'll check it out again then

« Reply #169 on: September 12, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »
Fragment of mithril

Capitalization? Got it.

The Transcendent subclass is still translated as Abilities Enhanced, and the item that unlocks the class is also translated this way.
The Strategist's Inspiration Plan skill says it reduces the delay for all actions in game, but on the wiki, it says it reduces the rate at which buffs decay. Which is the correct translation?
I'd assume the one in game would be the correct one but I'm asking just to make sure.

Edit: Some testing indicates that there's no delay reduction but that may be just a bug.

Seems like it actually reduces the rate at which buffs decay.

is "Transcendent" a good (and shorter) translation for this?

Hmm... I do believe that item is called "Tokyo Metronome" ("東京メトロノーム"). By the way, is "Party Average Level" (The text) going to change or are we going to wait for a font to be decided, so that we can see our average level?

"Average Level" and "Highest Level"

Its called Widenyo, but for anything that is not an official translation/localization, I would say we can use our own translation without problems.

We should use whatever Widenyo's fanpatch is using, for consistency.

It's still best to fix any errors if possible.

Regarding the skill notes, I'm not playing so I have no idea how accurate the discrepancies you mentioned are, or if they're issues in the original game or what.

Can someone confirm if I should be changing anything for these skills, and provide a fixed translation if so?

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #170 on: September 12, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »
Capitalization? Got it.

We should use whatever Widenyo's fanpatch is using, for consistency.

It's still best to fix any errors if possible.

Regarding the skill notes, I'm not playing so I have no idea how accurate the discrepancies you mentioned are, or if they're issues in the original game or what.

Can someone confirm if I should be changing anything for these skills, and provide a fixed translation if so?
Abilites Enhanced is the exact translation for it, but Transcendant is shorter and fits what the subclass does, no special abilities, just increase in stats, and the term meaning "going beyond a (philosophical) concept or limit". So I think we should use that.

We had Miko Board instead of Shrine Maiden's Ema, and I'll look for that one too. If anyone wants to help, on the spreadsheet, there is items which don't have an english name, but have a reference to it, try and find if there is a fan patch of it (or official) and try to look for that item if possible. If it's japanese only, then we'll use our own terms. Some of the games that would need to be checked out: Magical Vacation (マジカルバケーション), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (from the serie Mystery Dungeon), PoPoRoGue/PoPoLoCrois serie (ポポロクロイス物語).

Some of the discrepancies are listed on the wiki, but I don't know if that's all of them, you can also find more on the jp wiki, but even with that, they're may be others.
I'll go back to some of the skills to see if some corrections are needed because I mistranslated them.

jaxter0987

« Reply #171 on: September 12, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »

I just went and compared the wiki with what we have for a partial translation. And like Kuilfrayt has said, Transcendent fits what the subclass does. Someone else has also mentioned this before which is why I brought it up again, thinking you may have missed it.

I haven't been paying attention to whether or not Eirin Reisen and Kaguya's skills have actually been affecting damage. I'll start paying attention to Kaguya's at least and report back with results later.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2013, 01:35:45 AM »
Some of the discrepancies are listed on the wiki, but I don't know if that's all of them, you can also find more on the jp wiki, but even with that, they're may be others.
I'll go back to some of the skills to see if some corrections are needed because I mistranslated them.
The ones I pointed out were mistranslations.
Wish I could provide correct translations myself, but my English is rather subpar.

Kaguya's 貴き月の民 should be 'Royal People of the Moon'
Aya's '天狗の風' should be 'Tengu's Wind'
Wriggle's '吸毒' should be 'Poison Absorb' or something like that.
Mystia's '静寂の中の歌声' should be 'Singing Voice in the Silence' or something like that.
Reisen's '広域精神変調' should be 'Broad Mind Modulation'
The fourth line of Reisen's Grand Patriot's Elixir says that she won't explode or anything even after 4 drinks.

I think it would be better if Reimu's 博麗の加護 and Sanae's 守矢の加護 had similar translations.
Yuugi's '破滅的な金剛力' was translated to Ruinous Super Strength in th125
Yuugi's '金剛螺旋' was translated to Adamant Helix in th125

Healer's Knowledge slightly increases MND instead of DEF
Strategist's Knowledge slightly increases MND instead of SPD
2nd line of Strategist's Surprise Attack should be 'Each member on the front line will have a 20% chance of starting with their ATB set to 10000'
Current translation makes it sound like a all-or-nothing skill.
Diva's Knowledge slightly increases ACC instead of EVA
Diva's 蝸牛のダンス should be 'Dance of the Snail' or something like that.

It would be preferable if there are files with the original Japanese.
Signature

« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2013, 02:30:58 AM »
It would be preferable if there are files with the original Japanese.

strdump.txt contains all of the original Japanese string. The translations are based on this file.

To match the translation to the original (or to go the other way), just copy the 8 digit sequence at the start of each line and search for it in the other file. I don't have any side-by-side comparison files yet or anything, though.

jaxter0987

« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2013, 04:05:20 AM »
There doesn't seem to be a damage difference when the MP is used up. Any of you know a high Mind enemy I can try testing on? I've done a couple tests with the mobs on the second part of 20F but none of them seem to have very high Mind.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2013, 04:47:33 AM »
As I said, the description was translated wrong. The defense-ignoring part always works.
A 179 MAG Kaguya with the skill did around 260 damage to the 3F FOE when she used her MP and when she didn't use her MP.
A 179 MAG Kaguya without the skill did 0 damage.
Signature

« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2013, 06:51:33 AM »

In what context is this shown? Because if I were to just see Highest Level, I may not know that it means Party Highest Level.

« Reply #177 on: September 13, 2013, 12:53:16 PM »
In what context is this shown? Because if I were to just see Highest Level, I may not know that it means Party Highest Level.
They are shown on the character party screen. "Average level" on normal mode, "Highest level" on hard mode.

Example.

Right now, with the added "Party", the text does not fit and the actual level is not visible.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #178 on: September 13, 2013, 02:12:06 PM »
As I said, the description was translated wrong. The defense-ignoring part always works.
A 179 MAG Kaguya with the skill did around 260 damage to the 3F FOE when she used her MP and when she didn't use her MP.
A 179 MAG Kaguya without the skill did 0 damage.
スキル取得者に行動順が回ってきた際、75%の確率でMPが1減るようになる。
攻撃時、敵の防御性能を90%減算してダメージ計算を行う。
攻撃時、敵の防御性能を50%減算してダメージ計算を行う。

These are the lines for their abilities. I guess I misunderstood 攻撃時, thinking it meant "when this happens and you attack" instead of just "when attacking"

I think it would be better if Reimu's 博麗の加護 and Sanae's 守矢の加護 had similar translations.

2nd line of Strategist's Surprise Attack should be 'Each member on the front line will have a 20% chance of starting with their ATB set to 10000'

Diva's 蝸牛のダンス should be 'Dance of the Snail' or something like that.
New line to make Reimu and Sanae's skill translation more consistent.
007E5D48: At the end of battle, there is a (SLv*33)% chance to restore 1 MP to all four active members

Yea, for the strategist skill, I translated it before I was able to test it, so I didn't get the meaning right.

蝸牛のダンス, the kanji is the same for snail and cochlea, but you're right, snail would make more sense in this scenario, since we're talking about "slowing down" everyone.

Wymar

• ⑨⑨
  • Apathy is a powerful mehtivator.
« Reply #179 on: September 13, 2013, 06:21:33 PM »
I noticed how you still have articles in the characters' main classes. Class names, despite being identical to titles, should not have articles in them.