Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project  (Read 466852 times)

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
  • I feed on your tears...
Re: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2013, 03:01:33 AM »
So, with the lines for the changes Reiska brought

007EB798: Recovery Armband
007E6D84: Steadfast Ring
(I'll go with that, the description says you won't get knocked back as much by the enemy, and the ring on LoT2 increased SHK resistance)
007E983C: Yggdrasil Dew
007E609C: Bone Stake
007E6E14: Talaria

Also, this main equip wasn't in the text dump: オーグメント・反射神経ブースター
It translated as Reflex Booster Augmentation
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:34:25 AM by kuilfrayt »
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

Now working with Touhou-Online in French

jaxter0987

• Umiiro Shoujo ni Miserarete
  • Umi is love, Umi is life
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2013, 05:55:24 AM »
Is it just me, or are the descriptions on the wiki for Ability to Create Heaven and Ability to Create Earth switched for Kanako and Suwako? It makes more sense for Kanako to be in the far left and for Suwako to be in the far right rather than the way the skills currently describe.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:24:55 AM by jaxter0987 »

Wymar

• ⑨⑨
  • Apathy is a powerful mehtivator.
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2013, 08:42:48 AM »
Is it just me, or are the descriptions on the wiki for Ability to Create Heaven and Ability to Create Earth switched for Kanako and Suwako? It makes more sense for Kanako to be in the far left and for Suwako to be in the far right rather than the way skills currently describe.
I'm going to check that with the scientific method. If I don't write back afterwards, assume that I died in the name of SCIENCE and VIDEO GAMES.

Also the skill names are swapped in the current version of the patch, unless I got my canon wrong and Suwako can indeed create Heaven.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:40:08 AM by Wymar »

jaxter0987

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2013, 09:27:24 AM »
I'm going to check that with the scientific method. If I don't write back afterwards, assume that I died in the name of SCIENCE and VIDEO GAMES.

Also the skill names are swapped in the current version of the patch, unless I got my canon wrong and Suwako can indeed create Heaven.
Suwako can always create Heaven since there's tons of Loli fans out there, me being one of them. Though I'm not particularly a fan of Suwako for some reason. Jokes aside, I just wanted to make sure the skills were correct before editing the respective Play notes under both of them.

Also, which is the more accurate translation for the skill that costs 10 points and increases the MP recovered by 50% when under 33% MP by consuming 5 TP? Under Minoriko, its listed as Rapid Charge while under Alice, its listed as Emergency Charge.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:40:50 AM by jaxter0987 »

Wymar

• ⑨⑨
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2013, 09:40:34 AM »
So here's what I got. I did a bit of cheating and unlocked both Suwako and Kanako, and went to kill some Evil Nuts Eaters on 1F with Iron Rings and Suiga respectively.
No level-ups, equipment, or skillpoints were used except for HP- and DEF-boosts for Kanako because she kept being shocked and killed like a chump.
I only did about ten attacks per character every time, so this is nothing definite, but I subscribe to the philosophy of "close enough" so I can't be arsed to do more.

1) No Ability to Create Heaven/Earth
 Suwako: 110 ~ 124 damage
 Kanako: 114 ~ 136 damage

2) 2 ranks of Ability to Create Heaven/Earth. Kanako is on the left, Suwako on the right.
Suwako: 108 ~ 128 damage
Kanako: 116 ~ 135 damage

3) 2 ranks of Ability to Create Heaven/Earth. Suwako is on the left, Kanako to the right.
Suwako: 111 ~ 126 damage
Kanako: 114 ~ 138 damage

End result: inconclusive, it doesn't even look like the skills even do anything. Maybe try again later with more attacks.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2013, 04:33:26 PM »
Also, which is the more accurate translation for the skill that costs 10 points and increases the MP recovered by 50% when under 33% MP by consuming 5 TP? Under Minoriko, its listed as Rapid Charge while under Alice, its listed as Emergency Charge.
I think its Rapid Charge, anyway, some of the wiki will have to be redone once the patch is out cause we had to modify skills and spells.

For Earth/Heaven: I did my check. 1) The skills do not work. They don't appear in their buffs, no matter what position they are in. 2) Kanako has the skill to create Earth (乾), while Suwako has the skill to create Heaven (坤), I've checked on the untranslated game. This is most likely an error on their part, as it doesn't make sense otherwise.
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2013, 07:04:28 PM »
I think its Rapid Charge, anyway, some of the wiki will have to be redone once the patch is out cause we had to modify skills and spells.

For Earth/Heaven: I did my check. 1) The skills do not work. They don't appear in their buffs, no matter what position they are in. 2) Kanako has the skill to create Earth (乾), while Suwako has the skill to create Heaven (坤), I've checked on the untranslated game. This is most likely an error on their part, as it doesn't make sense otherwise.

乾 IS heaven while 坤 is earth, so the in-game names are not wrong. As for skill testing, are you sure you had four members out?

Wymar

• ⑨⑨
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2013, 07:25:05 PM »
Yes. I had Tenshi as a filler and Aya for wiping out Kedamas as well as her instant 10k-ATB buff.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2013, 08:24:56 PM »
乾 IS heaven while 坤 is earth, so the in-game names are not wrong. As for skill testing, are you sure you had four members out?

Im stupid... I was reading 乾 as "dry" so I thought it was earth, I didn't see the I Ching trigram thing.
Tbh, with all the other bugs in the game, it's not that surprising that it doesn't work

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2013, 12:50:04 AM »
http://pastebin.com/ipz5a9ad
Bestiary almost completed. There's some enemies missing because I didn't really know how to translated them, and there is still the japanese name so we can change them if you guys have better ideas for them

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2013, 01:57:47 AM »
Went through the items. Merged them into a single file, since I don't see the need to have 3, and added the corrections at the top of the page.
http://www.mediafire.com/?18nstuwpc91ew69

...and it contained mixed addresses, from both 1.120 and 1.130.

I think I managed to sort it out, but I'm not 100% certain. I've included the exe this time; it wouldn't hurt to take a look at it and compare it to the spreadsheet or stuff to make sure none of the lines got mangled.
A lot of the text is too long. Don't worry about it now, but it is something that will need to be fixed. Unfortunately, most of the items also use all 4 visible lines, so I won't be able to just add in the extra blank lines or anything.

I'll add in the bestiary tomorrow

In better news, out of the blue the image editor for the last game contacted me, and I asked him if he could work on LoT2 as well. He said he'd try, so hopefully he'll be able to handle all of those tough images

jaxter0987

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2013, 02:40:16 AM »
After taking a quick look, there are a couple of spelling mistakes here and there but that can be easily fixed later. This is looking great guys! Thanks for all your hardwork!

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2013, 02:49:11 AM »
Added my own addition to the bestiary here: http://pastebin.com/9ufYMyWN. I completed all the missing names I can find, as well as changed a couple of them.

007DF2E4: Black Goddess of Fertility
黒き豊穣の女神

From what ja.wikipedia tells me, this is apparently an alternative name for Shub-Niggurath, which is a monster that appeared in LoT1. However, there it had its proper name in katakana (シュブ=ニグラスShubu-nigurasu), and I am unable to find any English source which had claim to this "alternative name", so I handled it by just translating it directly. If someone can find what this name is supposed to be in English, please post about it.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2013, 02:49:58 AM »
Right out of the blue, the ones that are bugged that I can see are the item between Lilies Pants and Costume - Ninja Head. "Some mechanical parts with all sorts of difficult looking shape" which belongs to the material Mechanical Puzzle Piece
The item between Astral Dominae and Holy Sword Gran Centurio is a mess of japanese
(I'll try to find the lines for those)

We'll have to change the item "Pharmacologist's Proof" and "Abilites Enhanced's Proof" to reflect the new names once they are finalized (I think we had Pharmacist and Transcendant as the latest suggestions)
I think Cypress Bo would be better sounding than Cypress Bou (but that's just my opinion)
For the Tome of Enlightenments, since they are mostly all too long, maybe go for the last part reduced? (HP, MP, TP, ATK, etc, instead of their long names)

On skills, is it normal that some of them have a dot (・) at the end of their names? (pretty much all the subclass skills)

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2013, 02:58:52 AM »
Added my own addition to the bestiary here: http://pastebin.com/9ufYMyWN. I completed all the missing names I can find, as well as changed a couple of them.

007DF2E4: Black Goddess of Fertility
黒き豊穣の女神

From what ja.wikipedia tells me, this is apparently an alternative name for Shub-Niggurath, which is a monster that appeared in LoT1. However, there it had its proper name in katakana (シュブ=ニグラスShubu-nigurasu), and I am unable to find any English source which had claim to this "alternative name", so I handled it by just translating it directly. If someone can find what this name is supposed to be in English, please post about it.
Yea I saw that someone put that name on the dungeon wiki for it, but, since it didn't have a katakana name, and it didn't actually look like a goat monster to me, I just went with a more direct meaning to it.
I've adapted some of the names because I thought they would fit better. Example: "Chrysomallus", while the katakana translated directly to "Great Sheep", I prefer the former name, it's a mythological ram, so I thought it would fit with the image and be a bit more "dangerous sounding" than a sheep.

007DD748: Youkai Hell
ヨウカイジゴク
I'm wondering on that one if we want to keep it as it is, or change it a bit, cause it doesn't mean much to me since it's a desert enemy, not a fire/hell one. With its image, I was wondering about using Antlion, but I kept it blank to discuss it a bit.

Edit: Speaking of bestiary. There is a lot of enemies that have blank names on the .exe now (probably 1/3 to half of them)
Edit2: Also, on the achievement stuff, I just realized there still is a lot of Money +X or have X amount of money that I didn't change for Yen. Once I send you the completed achievement part, I'll have them corrected.
Edit3: Correction on the previous items I mentionned
007E4DAC: Megasphere
007E487C: Heishi Shourin ken (I don't know why this one doesn't work, because that's the right line on the japanese text dump for 1.130 and it's the one it's at right now)

Astral Dominae bonus are missing, this is the line it should be
007E488C: MAG +100% MND +66% MP Recovery Rate +1 SPI & DRK +50
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:15:04 AM by kuilfrayt »

jaxter0987

« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2013, 04:50:28 AM »
Yea I saw that someone put that name on the dungeon wiki for it, but, since it didn't have a katakana name, and it didn't actually look like a goat monster to me, I just went with a more direct meaning to it.
I've adapted some of the names because I thought they would fit better. Example: "Chrysomallus", while the katakana translated directly to "Great Sheep", I prefer the former name, it's a mythological ram, so I thought it would fit with the image and be a bit more "dangerous sounding" than a sheep.
I was the one that named the boss that. I just named it based on its similarity to the mob in LoT1 and even commented as such on page itself. I'll wait for you guys to finalize everything else except the story then I'll make adjustments to the wiki accordingly.

Also, glad to see some of the spells have been translated. Makes my note writing process for later revisions easier than just "(insert element) attack that does this". I've mainly been re fighting the final boss several times to take notes and to get some of its drops. I don't feel confident enough about its behavior to write about it yet.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:52:52 AM by jaxter0987 »

Wymar

• ⑨⑨
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2013, 10:20:55 AM »
The Black Goat with a Thousand Young is a common nickname for Shubby, but I guess that's too large?

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2013, 09:47:48 PM »
I'd like to help out with translating as much as I can, but admittedly I'm a bit worried that doing so might spoil some of the story for me.  Then again, there's also the issue of barely knowing any Japanese.

That said I may be able to help some with spelling and grammar, especially where changing the wording for some things may be necessary for the words to fit.  I also have a pretty good understanding of mythology and folklore that could come in handy.

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2013, 01:52:54 AM »
Edit2: Also, on the achievement stuff, I just realized there still is a lot of Money +X or have X amount of money that I didn't change for Yen. Once I send you the completed achievement part, I'll have them corrected.

Leave it as money. Where did that "Yen" thing even come from? I asked two other translators and they both said it is explicitly "money".

The addresses in the bestiary text file are completely wrong (Regalstar's copy, but presumably both). It's giving errors that it can't find the original string, and indeed, I can't find the address in either the 1.130 or the 1.120 string dump. Where did you get the untranslated data?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:41:20 AM by qazmlpok »

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2013, 02:44:23 AM »
Leave it as money. Where did that "Yen" thing even come from? I asked two other translators and they both said it is explicitly "money".

The addresses in the bestiary text file are completely wrong (Regalstar's copy, but presumably both). It's giving errors that it can't find the original string, and indeed, I can't find the address in either the 1.130 or the 1.120 string dump. Where did you get the untranslated data?
Alright, I'll leave money then, we'll have to redo the menu images to reflect that cause it says Yen right now

I took it from the pastebin you sent with all sort of stuff (names, enemies and spell names)

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2013, 02:53:17 AM »
Alright, I'll leave money then, we'll have to redo the menu images to reflect that cause it says Yen right now

I took it from the pastebin you sent with all sort of stuff (names, enemies and spell names)

Yeah, as I mentioned, someone else is (hopefully) redoing the images already anyway.

I'll try and figure out what the hell is going on with the names. The addresses should be the same.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2013, 03:22:47 AM »
Also, while I'm thinking about it.

SPD or AGI? We currently have both mixed up in the current patch. AGI would be the closest to the kanji used for the stat, and SPD is more representative of what the stat does. What did LoT1 used (we're probably better off using the same)

jaxter0987

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2013, 03:40:21 AM »
Also, while I'm thinking about it.

SPD or AGI? We currently have both mixed up in the current patch. AGI would be the closest to the kanji used for the stat, and SPD is more representative of what the stat does. What did LoT1 used (we're probably better off using the same)
SPD is what LoT1 used and like you said, its more representative of what the stat does.

dawnbomb

• Adventurer
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2013, 05:48:51 AM »
is the current patch going to be released as is/current version/ with current bugs, or are you going to wait until the new edition and then fix everything it changed?

can't wait to get started, but the patches to unlock 21 and 22F might actually take 3+ weeks, as they have a ton of bug fixes in the current version as it is.
There's no way I could love anyone
but i wish to be loved by someone in return

jaxter0987

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2013, 06:39:52 AM »
From my understanding, they're planning to make patch for the entire game as is and then release a new patch when the rest of the content / bugs are fixed.

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »
is the current patch going to be released as is/current version/ with current bugs, or are you going to wait until the new edition and then fix everything it changed?

can't wait to get started, but the patches to unlock 21 and 22F might actually take 3+ weeks, as they have a ton of bug fixes in the current version as it is.

The translation is probably going to take longer than 3 weeks.

dawnbomb

• Adventurer
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2013, 07:32:25 PM »
The translation is probably going to take longer than 3 weeks.

i meant what is currently 'the game' verses the time of waiting for and doing the 21/22F. from the looks of all the dumps almost everything is done, except maybe the image edits, making it be in line with LoT1, and spelling checks, and ofcorse gathering everything and putting it together then pluging it.

but i don't recall speak of subclass abilities being done, so i guess that's a thing, but i might have just forgotten it.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »
from the looks of all the dumps almost everything is done
except all of the dialogue afaik

I don't think anyone has any idea when 3peso is going to release the rest of the game content, on that matter. For all we know it could be a Plus Disk release next -year-. (Although I doubt it) I'm just hoping the bugfixes don't take tooooo long.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:35:45 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »
i meant what is currently 'the game' verses the time of waiting for and doing the 21/22F. from the looks of all the dumps almost everything is done, except maybe the image edits, making it be in line with LoT1, and spelling checks, and ofcorse gathering everything and putting it together then pluging it.

but i don't recall speak of subclass abilities being done, so i guess that's a thing, but i might have just forgotten it.

It looks like a total of 2858 lines have been translated so far, not counting the currently botched bestiary. Nor anything else that I may have misplaced somehow, which I think happens a lot.
The dialogue dump I produced is a total of 4385 lines. Furthermore, these lines are on average significantly longer, because there's none of the really short stuff like stats or item names. Plus, the item descriptions are split into multiple lines, while the dialogue is a single line in the dump and uses the @ sign as the separator.

In terms of total translation volume alone, I'd expect the dialogue to take at least 2x longer than everything else so far. Plus, from the sound of things, the dialogue is also going to be significantly more difficult to translate. I believe regalstar and kuil have both commented that they'll need to consult dictionaries a lot more often for actual dialogue than for stuff like item descriptions. On top of that, it is not in any way down to just the dialogue. There's still large amounts of text missing from achievements, items, and probably other stuff.

Finally, even after everything is translated (which will take much longer than 3 more weeks), there's still the necessity of rephrasing text that doesn't fit (There's gonna be a LOT of this), bug  searching/fixing, beta testing, and all sorts of other things. And this is all assuming no further patches are released to muck with things, which they will be.

In short, this is not going to be done soon. It is a big game. Things take time. A lot of time.

dawnbomb

• Adventurer
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2013, 10:33:11 PM »
I had completely forgotten about the bestiary, but i forget that a thing in EVERY game, its always so...useless for the most part, lol

'd still like a/the menu patch once its all sorted out tho